Timing w/ Receivers: A Myth? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Timing w/ Receivers: A Myth?

BenchFiedler

Undrafted Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I see a lot of post where Trent Green has to establish timing with his receivers in order to lead the offense.
Well I will take the simple example of Big Ben of the Steelers where Tommy Maddox was taking most of the snaps in training camp, but Big Ben still manage to get in there during the season and completed most of his passes to receivers. Is the timing a myth or an excuse..

By the way Trent Green and Chambers got no excuse about timing since Chambers stated that he worked with Green during his one and only shot at the pro-bowl.

I mean if you know the playbook, how long does it take for timing with receivers.

What do you think ? :confused:

You couldn't be more wrong. There IS an adjustment period. And the example you used is not very valid here, because both Maddox and Ben were being schooled in the same offense thruout the off season. Then, when Ben took over, they scaled down the offense and were able to utilize the prolific run game they had to steer them thru the season....not a very good analogy...

Add to the fact that CC, MB, DH and the rest of our current guys will be learning this 'new' system (even tho it's not as new as some seem to think) and there will be an adjustment time...for example...one route may call for CC to move down 13 yds and make his cut to the outside...Well, in KC that particular reciever that Green was throwing to may have had a tendency to cut that route at 12 yds or 15 yds...that reciever may have been faster or slower than CC...the timing of the routes will take an adjustment time...that may be lessened by Greens familiarity with what Shea and Cam want to happen, but it'll be there...however, they should have all the major bugs worked out halfway thru TC at the latest...

Just don't think that suddenly we will see Marino-to-Clayton-esque QB/WR play because of this trade...

Back
Top Bottom