Tired of the playing not to lose mentality.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tired of the playing not to lose mentality..

dabeastdabone

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
I know after week one someone posted about the Dolphins not trying to move the ball at the end of the first half and I agreed with them (although never responded). Some people came to the defense of the coaching in saying it was good/safe.

We have seen this mentality since Camron, look at the polar opposite in Tampa with those guys not even letting up in the closing seconds of a loss while on defense. We can agree or disagree that that may be extreme but I'd rather fault to that end than constantly sending the message that it's not always important to play 60 minutes.

Now to yesterday, the Dolphins had the ball with almost 2 minutes remaining in the first half and although didn't take a knee the went obviously conservative. One might think at this point that being they moved the ball well enough to get into field goal range at the end of the forth they could of moved it just as well at the end of the second and could of gotten another chance at a field goal. Or if nothing else they could of gotten some looks at the Jets defense in that two minute mode that could of helped their play calling in the final two minutes of the forth.

I'm sick of the cliche stuff like "play 60 minutes" or "give 110% effort" when the Dolphins at the core still don't have that. Let Tannehill play, let him make mistakes and learn.

agreed 100%. i remember in the 90's they would give marino the green light and we had games where we would win by 20+. what a great feeling. now its like every game this decade is decided by a field goal at the end. wanny, cam, sporano all conservative all got us ****. i was hoping philbin was going to be different.. i know its early and we need to give him a chance but cmon. they should have smoked the jets yesterday.

Hate to tell you man, but we've been like that since marino retired. When you play like not to lose, most of the time thats what you do. You can't sit back, run the ball, burn clock and expect your defense to pull it out every game. As bad as our secondary is, the defense keeps us in every game. we need to score more than 20 a game, its that simple. I understand they want to bring tannehill along slow but whats was the excuse for the 95 quarterbacks before him?

Playing not to win? Yes, thats why in OT instead of chipping our way further down the field after the big Hartline reception we threw two bombs in attempt for a TD.

Can't really "play to win" when we have a minimal amount of talent on offense. Nobody was getting any seperation out there yesterday from their DB's from what I saw.

I agree... I kept thinking to myself not another coach with play not to lose metality.. Its like playing scared and the whole team goes flat. You lose momentim...

and on that second attempted TD throw, Hartline actually had a step and room to fit it in there and Tannehill missed. The play was there to be made.

As mentioned above, it seems silly to accuse the coaching staff of not playing to win since they did just that at the end of regulation when it really mattered (as opposed to the end of the first half).

and on that second attempted TD throw, Hartline actually had a step and room to fit it in there and Tannehill missed. The play was there to be made.

Absolutely. I think and I'm sure many agree Tannehill has the tool to be our starter and we can feel positive he will develop into a high quality QB. I mean as goofy-rednecked as he looks at times on the field he is a pretty smart guy. But he needs to see the situations and live the speed of the game. If this far we let two "opportunities" pass for him to work on the two minute drill how is that helping him develop?

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw you guys being aggressive most of the day whether you were backed up deep in your territory or whether late in the game needing a FG to tie.

As mentioned above, it seems silly to accuse the coaching staff of not playing to win since they did just that at the end of regulation when it really mattered (as opposed to the end of the first half).

Yes, quite - it is just silly. The coaches took plenty of shots in this game. People are just being smart in hindsight - we shouldn't have tried to run plays because Bush got injured - well, what if he had broken a big gain? The playcalls were pretty much fine - it just didn't work out because the players didn't execute a few key plays. Leave the coaching alone.

How do they play conservative when they have guys like Legedu Naanee, Charles Clay & a rookie quarterback playing against a defense like the Jets? SMH!!!!

You have to pick your spots in my opinion...before half Miami should have just nelt...Instead we run a play with Reggie Bush and he gets hurt..So that was a time when were kind of aggressive and it back fired..Also in our own endzone we were pretty aggressive at times...Throwing the ball when we should have been running the ball..

My biggest problem with the game yesterday was not calling time out when we had 3 to use..Instead we threw the ball 2 times in a row..Honestly..I felt that we should have just run the ball all three times picked up about 8 yards..then tried the FG...The problem was our coaching staff didnt trust Ryan and they didnt trust DThomas..So they were caught in a catch 22 type situation....I think the whole board agrees that Lamar Miller should have been in there most of the game...I dont care how much of the playbook he knows..He has not fumbled and he has loooked a hell of a lot better than Thomas has...He is a playmaker and has made more plays in 3 games than Thomas has in 2 years so far...

Did I watch the wrong game? I thought I saw Tannehill throwing to the end zone, but I may be wrong...

When we win you'll see the threads about how great the coaching staff did. Lose one and you'll see this kind of thread. First things first. Everyone needs to stop blaming thecoaching staff for what happen to Bush. He could had gotten hurt in the first play of the game so stop it already. Now, anny went deep before the failed FG try. They were going for the win right there and now many peple say that we needed to run it at that point. I understand that we could have try and run it but also, evis had gotten hurt and they were going after their DB's at that point which is the smart thing to do.Stop looing at everything that went wrong. If Carpy makes that FG then we'd have none of this threads. The coaching was fine and we played well but let them off the hook time and again and yet, we still should have won that game ad the kicker blew it. It's that simple so stop making it more complicated than it really was.

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom