Todd McShay's Mock Draft | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Todd McShay's Mock Draft

i think after watching hughes tape he's more a weakside only guy...but i think he's the best pure pass rusher of the bunch and maybe the draft

i'll tell you what though...pull the utah tcu game tape from this season and hughes was a one man wrecking crew...a monster

i like brandon graham also and he reminds me of woodley as well at solb but i agree with others who say graham is listed at 6 ft 2 and i'll be shocked if he measures out at much more than just over 6 ft at the combine...which i think will hurt him with our front office...but he play with great leverage and power

i also think graham and hughes are both first round grades

I'm extremely high on Brandon Graham....I've watched his matchup with Bryan Bulaga several times and Graham destroyed him...

Much like Antoino Coleman...I'm not convinced Graham isn't best suited as a 4-3 defensive end....but this certainly bears keeping a close eye on when these guys are asked to perform in linebacker drills..

Kindle is easily one of my top "transition" guys....he's not a polished pass rusher....but he's adept at playing the run and it's almost impossible to get the outside on him...

Kindle will make a pretty seamless transition to OLB in a 3-4 defense IMO....he's experienced playing in a 2-point stance since he played LB in a 4-3 last year.....he could use some work rushing the passer with his hand on the ground...

Jerry Hughes = Stud OLB....the top prospect IMO of all the guys expected to make the transition from DE to OLB in the NFL...

here's a question i have...

what are peoples views on cameron wake developing into the long term successor to joey porter on the weakside??? it would be nice if we could see him take some reps in these last 2 games on the weakside to see how he looks...i know he's stiff in his pass drop and doesn't show great awareness in pass coverage but i'd like to see him some more...and to see him vs the run

the reason i ask is if he is only viewed long term as the situational pass rusher lined up as an end with his hand on the ground jerry hughes is a guy i think we all should be looking at very hard as the weakside backer for the next decade...

thoughts???

does anyone have any word on how the regime views him long term or are we pretty much seeing what he'll always be already???

what are peoples views on cameron wake developing into the long term successor to joey porter on the weakside??? it would be nice if we could see him take some reps in these last 2 games on the weakside to see how he looks...i know he's stiff in his pass drop and doesn't show great awareness in pass coverage but i'd like to see him some more...and to see him vs the run

the reason i ask is if he is only viewed long term as the situational pass rusher lined up as an end with his hand on the ground jerry hughes is a guy i think we all should be looking at very hard as the weakside backer for the next decade...

thoughts???

does anyone have any word on how the regime views him long term or are we pretty much seeing what he'll always be already???

I don't know if they view him as the eventual long term replacement on the weakside....but I think they certainly view him as a guy that can flat out get after the quarterback in certain packages...

Personally, I think his long term role is as a backup pass rusher....a guy you need on your team...

He also earns his playing time IMO (unlike some)..seems like he's always the first guy down on special teams and making tackles....especially yesterday...

I don't know if they view him as the eventual long term replacement on the weakside....but I think they certainly view him as a guy that can flat out get after the quarterback in certain packages...

Personally, I think his long term role is as a backup pass rusher....a guy you need on your team...

He also earns his playing time IMO (unlike some)..seems like he's always the first guy down on special teams and making tackles....especially yesterday...

well then jerry hughes needs to be a dolphin...period...if he's available

thoughts???

i think wake has tons of potential. we won't know how he'll do against the run or in coverage until we let him do it - which we should - and soon. it's hard to say one way or the other when he only comes in on passing downs to rush the quarterback.

porter is pretty damn one dimensional - awful against the run and mediocre in coverage. but he's out there starting b/c he's a threat to get to the QB every time - well at least he used to be - or is when healthy. i think wake is at least that good - he is an absolutely incredible blitzer - and he's still extremely raw. nowhere to go but up. i think he'll be starting for us real soon.

i don't like the possible 3-4 OLB's this draft. not at all. hughes is basically the only one i have any confidence in. i kind of like norwood and lang - but they still have question marks to me. there were SO many last year that i wanted - and have done great so far this year. there's a few deep positions on D every year - last year was OLB. the year before was CB. this year will be either S or DT. not saying none of the OLB's will be any good - just that the pickins are slim.

i saw wake in the preseason do some coverage drop reps and he looked lost...but it was all new to him so it's hard to say how he'll be...he looked a little stiff to me also

imo porter has got to go...i think he's pretty much done...for my eyes most of his pressures and sacks this year have come from either inside pressure forcing the qb to him...coverage sacks..coming completely unblocked or wake forcing the qb up inside where porter can make the play...i just don't see any explosion off the snap and too many times he's just doing a dance with the tackle...

i watched some stuff on brandon lang and i wasn't impressed...i think he loses the ball too much and while strong doesn't always play that way...i saw one 4th down short yardage play where he was completely blown like 5 yards off the ball and i want to say it was by a te...

I think Joey Porter only drops into coverage on like 15% of pass reps, so the coverage thing is a little overblown to me when it comes to Wake.

I like Dexter Davis as a LB in this system, potentially a SOLB.

the thing with Graham is people think he's too small to be a full time OLB similar to LaMar Woodley. Graham is listed at 6'2 but is probably a little shorter than that, but you can't deny his production.

Kindle was great as a rush LB as a junior, but struggled A LOT this year as a DE.

I don't think that Woodley is much taller than Graham, if at all.

i saw wake in the preseason do some coverage drop reps and he looked lost...but it was all new to him so it's hard to say how he'll be...he looked a little stiff to me also

imo porter has got to go...i think he's pretty much done...for my eyes most of his pressures and sacks this year have come from either inside pressure forcing the qb to him...coverage sacks.. or wake forcing the qb up inside where porter can make the play...i just don't see any explosion off the snap and too many times he's just doing a dance with the tackle...

i watched some stuff on brandon lang and i wasn't impressed...i think he loses the ball too much and while strong doesn't always play that way...i saw one 4th down short yardage play where he was completely blown like 5 yards off the ball and i want to say it was by a te...

porter is done. way done. but that's okay b/c with probably around 10 sacks at the end of the year he'll still have trade value. someone will give us a 3rd or 4th for him. i was just using that comparison b/c wake is at least as good as porter - who is starting for us right now. why not wake? i think wake would easily have double digit sacks if was starting/had more playing time.

yeah, the OLB's this year are weak. i don't even know if i could come up with a top 5 list this year - that's how bad i think they are. hughes will be a stud ... but that may be about it. looking back at last year - with the likes of sintim, english, cushing, matthews, orakpo. kruger, barwin, etc. - this year ain't even close.

I think Joey Porter only drops into coverage on like 15% of pass reps, so the coverage thing is a little overblown to me when it comes to Wake.

I like Dexter Davis as a LB in this system, potentially a SOLB.

but the issue is wake never takes any stand up pass rush reps...everything is with his hands in the dirt...and while that may be the way his is most effective right now it's hard to get a read as to whether or not he can be effective standing up...

i agree the pass coverage concerns are somewhat overblown

I don't think that Woodley is much taller than Graham, if at all.

what is woodley..as in his height at the combine??? was he a legit 6 ft 2???

even so i don't think this front office would have ever picked up a james harrison to play olb in a 3-4 no matter what due to that 5 ft 11 inches or so tall he is

i also don't think we'll get squat for porter in trade in the offseason...but that's just me

as slimm pointed out to me i can see us getting something along a 3rd rounder for a philip merling if we decided to part with him...

with how trendy the 3-4 has become of late - and how weak this draft will be for 3-4 OLB's - i think we'll get something decent for him. some FO will see his 10ish sacks this year - and his 17 last year - and will be pony up a 3rd or 4th for him.

parting with merling so soon would be astronomically stupid IMO. he's young, talented, and provides excellent depth on the line. trying to get a 3rd for him after using a 2nd on him only 2 years ago is just dumb. it's not like he's been a disappointment - and he's the only guy i'd trust to start if langford or starks went down. for a team that rotates so heavily - i just don't see that as a possibility.

I was just checking out nfldraftdog.com, and they have thee staff 1st RD mocks. One of them had us taking a DT/DE from Syracuse - pretty dumb.

But of the other two, one had us drafting Jerry Hughes, and the other had us drafting Brandon Graham. Interesting stuff.

Back
Top Bottom