Too early to panic, but we can certainly be alarmed after Eagles blitz Dolphins’ D | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Too early to panic, but we can certainly be alarmed after Eagles blitz Dolphins’ D

I kinda disagree... The front 7 will do decent against the run... not the best and not the worst, but extremely respectable... They will also get pressure on the QB and will, at minimum, get the QB to have happy feet... But you can not expect them to put pressure on the passing game every single down... Thats where the secondary needs to step up, but we play way too soft and will allow those 3rd down conversions that will keep the wrong team on the field...

I dont know if its scheme or talent, but we need to play tighter and bump the receivers coming off the line.. anything we can to disrupt their timing.. if not, they will eat big again this year
Totally agree.....Never understood why we don't jam receivers at the line instead of playing so far off like what seems like every play. It could be 1st and 10 or 3rd down and three, or DB's are constantly playing off.

That's our front 4's only job and first read - pass rush.

As far as playing press coverage it has to come via Cover 2 and that means we must be able to stop the run first with our front 7. But again, our DL's first read is pass rush then react to the run, so that the run responsibility in our scheme falls heavily on the LB unit. So when they struggle (and they will struggle in this scheme) we have to bring Jones into the box to help vs the run and that in turn takes press coverage off the table b/c we don't have a FS with S2S range to make up for any mistakes made by the CBs and/or when a WR is able to restack them.
Well you answered my question as usual SOS......good job man.

Lol. I do agree in that I'm not fond of this Wide 9 scheme either.

Wide 9 is a problem vs the run but it's simply a wide set front, not a scheme (although those words have been uttered by our coaches).

I'll say I was encouraged by the small usage of the under front in the 3rd preseason game that puts Suh in a shade technique over the center and brings Timmons to the LOS on the strongside. If we can continue to show and use more versatile looks like that it can only help.

That's our front 4's only job and first read - pass rush.

As far as playing press coverage it has to come via Cover 2 and that means we must be able to stop the run first with our front 7. But again, our DL's first read is pass rush then react to the run, so that the run responsibility in our scheme falls heavily on the LB unit. So when they struggle (and they will struggle in this scheme) we have to bring Jones into the box to help vs the run and that in turn takes press coverage off the table b/c we don't have a FS with S2S range to make up for any mistakes made by the CBs and/or when a WR is able to restack them.

I was looking forward to an improved run defense with the addition of McMillan in the middle. Even with his learning curve it would have been a very welcome addition. Now, we'll have just as bad of LB coverage but without the solid run defense. Frustrating pre-season.

Wide 9 is a problem vs the run but it's simply a wide set front, not a scheme (although those words have been uttered by our coaches).

I'll say I was encouraged by the small usage of the under front in the 3rd preseason game that puts Suh in a shade technique over the center and brings Timmons to the LOS on the strongside. If we can continue to show and use more versatile looks like that it can only help.
Also used some looks versus the Ravens. Brought Kiko to the line and it got Harris on a guard who he bullrushed into the QB

Also used some looks versus the Ravens. Brought Kiko to the line and it got Harris on a guard who he bullrushed into the QB

Can you recall when that occurred? i just scoured the first quarter before the starters were pulled and couldn't find it.

That problem against the run is my problem with it. I dislike seeing opposing teams gash us in the run game like it's a great thing to do.

So we should be concerned that in PS Game 2 vs the Ravens the execution was once again atrocious on both sides of the ball. An issue that continues to plague this team when playing them.

I'll start the movement, start Tank!

I'm having my own circle jerk over here with lub from the tears of how bad our scheme is.

And for all the flack I've caught around here, damn right I'm tooting my horn.

We don't know whether the scheme is bad yet or not. It's a bit premature to start celebrating your predictions and I doubt losing Raekwon was in the cards at the time either. His loss is huge.

We need more range covering the intermediate level. 4 on the line is a waste but we don't have talent at the position to play 4 LBs or dime coverage. Rarely do we have an interior lineman running in unblocked, Wake, Hayes and Branch can rotate. Phillips and Godchaux are really messing up the scheme.

I hope that some of you who are slamming the Defensive scheme are prepared to eat some crow when it succeeds. It must be so frustrating that you think you know so much more about Defenses than all our coaches.
My prediction is that the addition of players like William Hayes and Lawrence Timmons has a big impact improving our ability to stop the run, which was our biggest Defensive problem last season. I also predict that our D-line, led by Ndamukong Suh and Cam Wake becomes a major strength in winning games. I also expect Xavien Howard to be an impact player on the team.
The loss of Raekwon McMillan is very unfortunate but other players will have to step up. Defensive Coordinator, Matt Burke hasn't coached an NFL game and a stack of you are declaring a disaster. I'm of the view that we have kept it pretty vanilla in the preseason games, to date and so maybe you're over-reacting. Let's see how it goes and assess from there. The scheme can work with the many talented players assembled.
Be prepared to eat some crow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom