Top 10 Miami Dolphins under 25: How ready are they? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top 10 Miami Dolphins under 25: How ready are they?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
The Daily Dolphin view as Miami’s Top 10 players under 25? As in, in what order would an expansion team grab these players, in our opinion, if the draft was say, this Saturday night?
  1. Laremy Tunsil, LT, 23 years old — You’re going to tell me that Tunsil didn’t have a very good season in 2017, and you’d be right. But Miami better be right in their belief that Tunsil will be much, much better in his second season as a starter at left tackle. Tunsil needs to address all those pre-snap penalties. And he said he is working to perfect his practice habits. He has every physical tool needed.
  2. Xavien Howard, CB, 24 years old — Howard did not have the start to his second season that most observers expected, but he came on really, really strong down the stretch. Howard is physical and fast enough, to be at worst, a very good #2 cornerback in the NFL. He’s still learning and will also have a new position coach in 2018.
  3. DeVante Parker, WR, 24 years old — You’re going to tell me that Parker was very, very, very disappointing last season, and you’d be right. You’re going to say he’s injury prone and has seemed to lose his confidence and perhaps does not have the innate desire to fight for every single ball tossed his way. And I’m going to tell you he’s story isn’t completed just yet. We are going to admit that because two of the first three players on this list under-performed last season, something better change quickly.
  4. Kenyan Drake, RB, 23 years old — We called for Drake to receive more playing time and he capitalized, once Jay Ajayi was gone. Drake proved to be one of the most explosive, big-play threats in the NFL once he got his chance. Can he do it for 16 games? How would he handle carrying the biggest workload for an entire season? We may find that out in 2018.
  5. Raekwon McMillan, LB, 21 years old — Can you believe that McMillan just turned 21? Yes, we know he hasn’t even played a regular-season NFL game for Miami yet. But he plays linebacker. And Miami has a desperate need for a sure-tackling, aggressive, young, linebacker. Miami trusted McMillan enough that he was going to call the plays last year. After a redshirt, he should be even more ready to contribute.
  6. Charles Harris, DE, 22 years old — Harris had only two sacks as a rookie and was understandably frustrated at times. Harris a very, very serious young man, which is mostly good. He wants to be great. He knows he needs to get bigger and stronger. A year of learning about how to be more effective against the run will only help. And Harris, like Howard, will also have a new position coach this year.
  7. Cordrea Tankersley, CB, 24 years old — There are going to be three cornerbacks on this list, which tells you Miami has done a nice job in drafting cornerbacks with upside. This list won’t even include Tony Lippett, who is coming back from an Achilles injury. Tankersley’s ascendance to starter came quicker than expected, and he looks so far like a quality third-round choice.
  8. Davon Godchaux, DT, 23 years oldGive credit to Miami’s scouting staff for uncovering this fifth-round gem. Godchaux gives great effort, listens to his coaches and generally plays within the game plan. He needs to cut down on his penalties, some presnap and some with the way he uses his hands. Oh yeah, he’ll have a new position coach this year, too. Godchaux looks like a keeper.
  9. Bobby McCain, CB, 24 years old — Before last season, some wondered if Michael Thomas or Alterraun Verner or some draft choice was needed to replace McCain. Nope. McCain emerged as a good slot corner, quite good, in fact. Yes, he could stand to create a few more turnovers (an issue all Miami defenders must address next season). But McCain was solid and consistent, which is all Miami could ask for.
  10. Leonte Carroo, WR, 23 years old — It is true that Carroo hasn’t done much in the limited opportunities he’s been given. It is also true he has not yet proven to be worth trading up for, as Miami did. But the key here is opportunity. We’re still not sure what Carroo can do, given an actual opportunity, which yes, may have to come elsewhere. But don’t label him a bust just yet. That’s unfair.
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...0-miami-dolphins-under-25-how-ready-are-they/

Carroo is the one player that i am most concerned about, the article speaks about given him an actual opportunity which I find strange coming from a sports writer. If a player wants more playing time he has to beat out the starters in training camp or at least make the best of your opportunities when they come about, no coach is going to give you anything you have to go out and fight for it. I agree that to call him a bust would be unfair at this point, but he had better get that killer instinct of wanting to be the best or at least wanting to be a starter, cause sitting back and waiting for a chance will definitely keep you on the sideline.

I really like this list, the last 2 drafts have been solid. I'm still confident that Parker can get it going, after seeing how Cutler had trouble with throwing the ball downfield, it was going to be very hard for Parker to take a jump this year. I haven't given up on Carroo either, there was too much potential there, coupled with the fact that this coaching staff likes to ease players in, (Drake, Grant, Ajayi...) I wouldnt be the least surprised to see him good production from him once given the opportunity. I expect both McMillan and Harris to make a serious impact on the defense in 2018.

Lets keep this up with a solid 2018 draft.

Last edited:
If just a few of those guys “break” out then Miami will be better.

I didn’t realize Bobby McCain was still so young, he played great in the slot last year. Was our best corner early in the season.

Tank and Lippett will be battling for the #2 corner spot next season. Going to be fun.

Raekwon is the player I expect to be the best, he’s a NFL 3 down LBer. Please be good young fella.

This at least gives you a little hope that we have a solid base of guys who contributed and even started to show why they were drafted. Howard showed that he should be a number 1 CB...It is a shame McMillian missed last season, but he is so young that you could still get a good number of years. Tunsil shows elite ability at times, but also seems to give just enough effort. Hopefully, he can dominate.

I have zero confidence in Parker. What I'm expecting to happen is that he'll have a 900/4 TD type season just as his contract comes up and then we'll spend all our time debating whether he deserves the 10M AAV contract he's asking for.

Not a bad list of solid players but in order to be real contenders we need at least two of those guys to be elite at some point. We need at least two of them to become real play makers. The talent seems to be there but they need to take that next step.

btw, why is Phillips not there? Is he older than 25?

Ozzy rules!!

The under performing has to stop. We saw 5 coaches fired, so far. Hopefully, the new coaches can get the talent out of these young players, it's clear the last group couldn't.

I would replace Carroo with Eric Smith.
I believe Smith will have the more productive career.

Not a bad list of solid players but in order to be real contenders we need at least two of those guys to be elite at some point. We need at least two of them to become real play makers. The talent seems to be there but they need to take that next step.

Ozzy rules!!
Need Howard & Tunsil to be special.

Ozzy rules!!

Yep Phillips is 25. Below is a list of some other players just outside the 24 age limit.

Landry 25
Lippett 25
Williams, Damien 25
Stills 25
Parkey 25
McDonald 26
Grant 25
Derby 26
Davis 26
Anthony 25

The above isn't all of them but the ones I thought have the best chance to be good players. Miami has a lot of young talent they need to find a way to put it together.

That is a good list. Many solid players. We just need those 3 or 4 stars to lead the way. The kind that won't let the team lose

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom