Top 10 Underrated Dolphins of All Time | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top 10 Underrated Dolphins of All Time

endorPHINS72

Restore the greatness!
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Here are a few of mine in no particular order. Feel free to throw in your choices as well. Thanks for reading!

1. Oronde Gadsden - His last days with the Dolphins ended ugly, but the guy could catch anything thrown in his zip code and he was phenomenal at the fade in the endzone. I dare you to name a Dolphin with a better pair of hands.

2. Jim Kiick - Although Csonka and Mercury Morris got most of the credit for the Miami running game in the glory years, Kiick was a very valuable player and an integral part in our Super Bowl years of 1972 and 1973.

3. "The No Name Defense" - At first I was going to go with Bob Matheson, the integral part of Miami's "53" defense, but I realized that none of the members of that defense were household names. These guys were the most unselfish and talented defensive group nobody can name.

4. Don Strock - This guy backed up Bob Griese, David Woodley and Dan Marino. In fact, Marino said that he learned a ton of stuff from Strock. The man was always ready to play. I really feel that if Coach Shula would have started Strock in the 1983 Super Bowl versus Washington, we would have won it.

5. Larry Izzo - This guy was a demon on special teams with the Dolphins and continues to be one with the Patriots. Even though he wasn't a starter, I was sad to see him go in 2001.

6. Mike Kozlowski - Although he was overshadowed by "The Bruise Brothers", Kozlowski had a knack for finding the football. I always liked him as a kid.

7. Trace Armstrong - Although he was overshadowed by Jason Taylor, Armstrong was a tenacious pass rusher who never quit. Taylor and Armstrong both benefited from each other's presence. When he left for Oakland, he takes out a whole page ad in the Miami Herald thanking the Dolphins fans and wishing them the best. CLASS ACT!

8. Jim "Crash" Jensen - You want me to play QB? No problem? WR? No problem. RB? No problem. TE? Sure, why not? The guy was "Slash" before Slash was Slash, and a lot better at it.

9. Tony Paige - One of the best fullbacks in Dolphins history. The guy was a good pass blocker and receiver.

10. Wes Welker - Although he doesn't have explosive speed, the guy has the heart of a lion. Was asked to kick field goals and extra points for a game against the Patriots in 2004 despite not having kicked since high school and made all his attempts. Plus he returned a kickoff for a TD in 2004 against Baltimore and came one foot short of doing so against the Patriots in 2004. Unfortunately, his lack of speed may keep him from making the team this year.

HONORABLE MENTION: Steve DeBerg, Brian Walker, David Bowens, Jeff Zgonina, Yeremiah Bell, Leroy Harris, Benny Malone, Jimmy Cefalo, Freddie Solomon, Sammy Morris, Jeff Cross, Tom Vigorito, Mark Dixon (when healthy), Jeff Dellenbach, Ron Heller, Bernie Parmalee, Bruce Hardy, Jed Weaver.

endorPHINS72 said:
Here are a few of mine in no particular order. Feel free to throw in your choices as well. Thanks for reading!

1. Oronde Gadsden - His last days with the Dolphins ended ugly, but the guy could catch anything thrown in his zip code and he was phenomenal at the fade in the endzone. I dare you to name a Dolphin with a better pair of hands.

2. Jim Kiick - Although Csonka and Mercury Morris got most of the credit for the Miami running game in the glory years, Kiick was a very valuable player and an integral part in our Super Bowl years of 1972 and 1973.

3. "The No Name Defense" - At first I was going to go with Bob Matheson, the integral part of Miami's "53" defense, but I realized that none of the members of that defense were household names. These guys were the most unselfish and talented defensive group nobody can name.

4. Don Strock - This guy backed up Bob Griese, David Woodley and Dan Marino. In fact, Marino said that he learned a ton of stuff from Strock. The man was always ready to play. I really feel that if Coach Shula would have started Strock in the 1983 Super Bowl versus Washington, we would have won it.

5. Larry Izzo - This guy was a demon on special teams with the Dolphins and continues to be one with the Patriots. Even though he wasn't a starter, I was sad to see him go in 2001.

6. Mike Kozlowski - Although he was overshadowed by "The Bruise Brothers", Kozlowski had a knack for finding the football. I always liked him as a kid.

7. Trace Armstrong - Although he was overshadowed by Jason Taylor, Armstrong was a tenacious pass rusher who never quit. Taylor and Armstrong both benefited from each other's presence. When he left for Oakland, he takes out a whole page ad in the Miami Herald thanking the Dolphins fans and wishing them the best. CLASS ACT!

8. Jim "Crash" Jensen - You want me to play QB? No problem? WR? No problem. RB? No problem. TE? Sure, why not? The guy was "Slash" before Slash was Slash, and a lot better at it.

9. Tony Paige - One of the best fullbacks in Dolphins history. The guy was a good pass blocker and receiver.

10. Wes Welker - Although he doesn't have explosive speed, the guy has the heart of a lion. Was asked to kick field goals and extra points for a game against the Patriots in 2004 despite not having kicked since high school and made all his attempts. Plus he returned a kickoff for a TD in 2004 against Baltimore and came one foot short of doing so against the Patriots in 2004. Unfortunately, his lack of speed may keep him from making the team this year.

HONORABLE MENTION: Steve DeBerg, Brian Walker, David Bowens, Jeff Zgonina, Yeremiah Bell, Leroy Harris, Benny Malone, Jimmy Cefalo, Freddie Solomon, Sammy Morris, Jeff Cross, Tom Vigorito, Mark Dixon (when healthy), Jeff Dellenbach, Ron Heller, Bernie Parmalee, Bruce Hardy, Jed Weaver.
You are cool. Thanks for giving my cousin Honorable mention. Tommy Vigorito. I took it as a good omen when J. Allen picked his old number.

Anthony D. said:
You are cool. Thanks for giving my cousin Honorable mention. Tommy Vigorito. I took it as a good omen when J. Allen picked his old number.

NO WAY! Tom Vigorito is your cousin??? That is so cool having a Dolphin in the family! I remember him as a change of pace back that was pretty shifty and had some good moves and was a really good punt returner. What is he doing these days?

endorPHINS72 said:
NO WAY! Tom Vigorito is your cousin??? That is so cool having a Dolphin in the family! I remember him as a change of pace back that was pretty shifty and had some good moves and was a really good punt returner. What is he doing these days?
He Finnished up law school after the injury. He moved back closer to where he came from in Wayne N.J. and works in NYC. He wishes that he didn't leave the game so quickly. He wanted to make a comeback but was kinda' held back by his wife who feared for his overall health. Tough Decisions. I guess she thought he would end up not being able to walk one day. Injuries to his ligaments were pretty bad as I remember. They actually had a son of there own and adopted two kids I believe, but had some marital problems I think that probably are contributed to his regret in not coming back. He was actually pretty down about it in an interview they did on him on the official site last year. I haven't talked with him in quite a while. I am sure he is doing well otherwise.

Anthony D. said:
He Finnished up law school after the injury. He moved back closer to where he came from in Wayne N.J. and works in NYC. He wishes that he didn't leave the game so quickly. He wanted to make a comeback but was kinda' held back by his wife who feared for his overall health. Tough Decisions. I guess she thought he would end up not being able to walk one day. Injuries to his ligaments were pretty bad as I remember. They actually had a son of there own and adopted two kids I believe, but had some marital problems I think that probably are contributed to his regret in not coming back. He was actually pretty down about it in an interview they did on him on the official site last year. I haven't talked with him in quite a while. I am sure he is doing well otherwise.

Well please give him my best next time you seem him!

endorPHINS72 said:
Well please give him my best next time you seem him!
I will make sure that he knows that every Dolphan I have talked to respects him. I hear all good things from Dolphin fans about him. I am sure he would like to hear it. We were always very proud of him, and he made us into the Dolphin fan family that we are today. Next time I get a chance to speak with him, I will be sure to relay the message.

Anthony D. said:
I will make sure that he knows that every Dolphan I have talked to respects him. I hear all good things from Dolphin fans about him. I am sure he would like to hear it. We were always very proud of him, and he made us into the Dolphin fan family that we are today. Next time I get a chance to speak with him, I will be sure to relay the message.

Thanks, I haven't met that many Dolphins players (former or current), but no matter how many games they started or TDs they scored, I always thank them for making the team look good. I did that when I met Kirby Dar-Dar a month or so back. He just seemed really happy that I remembered him blocking a punt against Houston in 1996.

How about Earl Morrell ?

Led the unbeaten Dolphins through the season and then took the back seat as Griese returned for the big game and became a household name.

RiderOnTheStorm said:
How about Earl Morrell ?

Led the unbeaten Dolphins through the season and then took the back seat as Griese returned for the big game and became a household name.

Absolutely. Earl Morall was the epitome of a team player. From what I've read, some players kind of freaked out at first when Griese was hurt. Morall really took charge and established himself as a leader and he and Shula kept the "one game at a time" mantra going. And as you said, when Griese was healthy, he went back to the bench with no whining or complaining. It was for situations exactly like that that Shula brought Morall over from Baltimore.

endorPHINS72 said:
Thanks, I haven't met that many Dolphins players (former or current), but no matter how many games they started or TDs they scored, I always thank them for making the team look good. I did that when I met Kirby Dar-Dar a month or so back. He just seemed really happy that I remembered him blocking a punt against Houston in 1996.
Dar-Dar...lol, very cool. I remember that block. Wow, was "96" really ten years ago? Damn does time go out the window faster and faster. It seems like yesterday I was in tears watching Danny thow all those INT's to Jax in his last game. Then of course came "The Dark Ages" under Wanny. It feels nice to have expectations again.

RiderOnTheStorm said:
How about Earl Morrell ?

I agree. Very underrated team player.

Richmond Webb was a beast. Quite possibly the best tackle the Dolphins have ever seen

PassRush said:
Richmond Webb was a beast. Quite possibly the best tackle the Dolphins have ever seen
Well there were some great linemen on those early seventies teams too, but Webb did help alot to keep Danny on his feet.

PassRush said:

Webb was great, but I wouldn't call him underrated. He went to 7+ plus Pro Bowls and was named All-Pro several times.

endorPHINS72 said:
Webb was great, but I wouldn't call him underrated. He went to 7+ plus Pro Bowls and was named All-Pro several times.
Did he really make 7 ? That is impressive. I did not know that. I knew he was a pro bowler but had no idea he made 7.

Back
Top Bottom