Top 10 Underrated Dolphins of All Time

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by endorPHINS72, Jun 4, 2006.

1. endorPHINS72

endorPHINS72 Restore the greatness!

Here are a few of mine in no particular order. Feel free to throw in your choices as well. Thanks for reading!

Top 10 Underrated Dolphins of All Time

1. Oronde Gadsden - His last days with the Dolphins ended ugly, but the guy could catch anything thrown in his zip code and he was phenomenal at the fade in the endzone. I dare you to name a Dolphin with a better pair of hands.

2. Jim Kiick - Although Csonka and Mercury Morris got most of the credit for the Miami running game in the glory years, Kiick was a very valuable player and an integral part in our Super Bowl years of 1972 and 1973.

3. "The No Name Defense" - At first I was going to go with Bob Matheson, the integral part of Miami's "53" defense, but I realized that none of the members of that defense were household names. These guys were the most unselfish and talented defensive group nobody can name.

4. Don Strock - This guy backed up Bob Griese, David Woodley and Dan Marino. In fact, Marino said that he learned a ton of stuff from Strock. The man was always ready to play. I really feel that if Coach Shula would have started Strock in the 1983 Super Bowl versus Washington, we would have won it.

5. Larry Izzo - This guy was a demon on special teams with the Dolphins and continues to be one with the Patriots. Even though he wasn't a starter, I was sad to see him go in 2001.

6. Mike Kozlowski - Although he was overshadowed by "The Bruise Brothers", Kozlowski had a knack for finding the football. I always liked him as a kid.

7. Trace Armstrong - Although he was overshadowed by Jason Taylor, Armstrong was a tenacious pass rusher who never quit. Taylor and Armstrong both benefited from each other's presence. When he left for Oakland, he takes out a whole page ad in the Miami Herald thanking the Dolphins fans and wishing them the best. CLASS ACT!

8. Jim "Crash" Jensen - You want me to play QB? No problem? WR? No problem. RB? No problem. TE? Sure, why not? The guy was "Slash" before Slash was Slash, and a lot better at it.

9. Tony Paige - One of the best fullbacks in Dolphins history. The guy was a good pass blocker and receiver.

10. Wes Welker - Although he doesn't have explosive speed, the guy has the heart of a lion. Was asked to kick field goals and extra points for a game against the Patriots in 2004 despite not having kicked since high school and made all his attempts. Plus he returned a kickoff for a TD in 2004 against Baltimore and came one foot short of doing so against the Patriots in 2004. Unfortunately, his lack of speed may keep him from making the team this year.

HONORABLE MENTION: Steve DeBerg, Brian Walker, David Bowens, Jeff Zgonina, Yeremiah Bell, Leroy Harris, Benny Malone, Jimmy Cefalo, Freddie Solomon, Sammy Morris, Jeff Cross, Tom Vigorito, Mark Dixon (when healthy), Jeff Dellenbach, Ron Heller, Bernie Parmalee, Bruce Hardy, Jed Weaver.

2. Anthony D.

Anthony D. Lifelong Dolphan

You are cool. Thanks for giving my cousin Honorable mention. Tommy Vigorito. I took it as a good omen when J. Allen picked his old number.

3. endorPHINS72

NO WAY! Tom Vigorito is your cousin??? That is so cool having a Dolphin in the family! I remember him as a change of pace back that was pretty shifty and had some good moves and was a really good punt returner. What is he doing these days?

4. Anthony D.

He Finnished up law school after the injury. He moved back closer to where he came from in Wayne N.J. and works in NYC. He wishes that he didn't leave the game so quickly. He wanted to make a comeback but was kinda' held back by his wife who feared for his overall health. Tough Decisions. I guess she thought he would end up not being able to walk one day. Injuries to his ligaments were pretty bad as I remember. They actually had a son of there own and adopted two kids I believe, but had some marital problems I think that probably are contributed to his regret in not coming back. He was actually pretty down about it in an interview they did on him on the official site last year. I haven't talked with him in quite a while. I am sure he is doing well otherwise.

5. endorPHINS72

Well please give him my best next time you seem him!

6. Anthony D.

I will make sure that he knows that every Dolphan I have talked to respects him. I hear all good things from Dolphin fans about him. I am sure he would like to hear it. We were always very proud of him, and he made us into the Dolphin fan family that we are today. Next time I get a chance to speak with him, I will be sure to relay the message.

7. endorPHINS72

Thanks, I haven't met that many Dolphins players (former or current), but no matter how many games they started or TDs they scored, I always thank them for making the team look good. I did that when I met Kirby Dar-Dar a month or so back. He just seemed really happy that I remembered him blocking a punt against Houston in 1996.

8. RiderOnTheStorm

RiderOnTheStorm Starter

How about Earl Morrell ?

Led the unbeaten Dolphins through the season and then took the back seat as Griese returned for the big game and became a household name.

9. endorPHINS72

Absolutely. Earl Morall was the epitome of a team player. From what I've read, some players kind of freaked out at first when Griese was hurt. Morall really took charge and established himself as a leader and he and Shula kept the "one game at a time" mantra going. And as you said, when Griese was healthy, he went back to the bench with no whining or complaining. It was for situations exactly like that that Shula brought Morall over from Baltimore.

10. Anthony D.

Dar-Dar...lol, very cool. I remember that block. Wow, was "96" really ten years ago? Damn does time go out the window faster and faster. It seems like yesterday I was in tears watching Danny thow all those INT's to Jax in his last game. Then of course came "The Dark Ages" under Wanny. It feels nice to have expectations again.

11. Anthony D.

I agree. Very underrated team player.

12. PassRush

PassRush Drunken Sailor

Richmond Webb was a beast. Quite possibly the best tackle the Dolphins have ever seen

13. Anthony D.

Well there were some great linemen on those early seventies teams too, but Webb did help alot to keep Danny on his feet.

14. endorPHINS72

Webb was great, but I wouldn't call him underrated. He went to 7+ plus Pro Bowls and was named All-Pro several times.

15. Anthony D.

Did he really make 7 ? That is impressive. I did not know that. I knew he was a pro bowler but had no idea he made 7.

16. endorPHINS72

Yes, he made seven Pro-Bowls. Here is the link:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/WebbRi00.htm

I used to love to watch him and Bruce Smith go at it. It was like King Kong and Godzilla going at it.

17. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf A True Fan

Mark Higgs

18. endorPHINS72

I was never a really big fan of Mark Higgs. He was decent, but I really don't know why Coach Shula never really tried to upgrade the RB position in the early 90s. And Bobby Humphrey was not the answer either. Bernie Parmalee was our best back during that time. In 1995, we could have drafted Corey Dillon and we went with Billy Milner instead.

19. Anthony D.

I agree. Parmalee was the best back we had during those years. Another great Dolphin from Jersey...lol. He worked at UPS not far from where I grew up before he got a break in the NFL. Tough little dude. I also liked Terry Kirby too, but his build made him a better guy to catch out of the backfield.

20. Anthony D.

Thanx for the link. Always good to learn somethin' new early in the morning.

21. Marino13fanboy1

Marino13fanboy1 Legend in his own mind

I had a cousin who played for the Dolphins too. Here he is:

Steve Shull

LB -- William & Mary

Playing Stats

SeasonTeam(s)GamesDefenseFumblesTotal
    PointsINTYdsAvgTD

1980MIA16000.0000

1981MIA16000.0000

1982MIA9000.0000

Career41000.0000

22. steevieb22

steevieb22 Rookie

I would put Jon Geisler on the list. He went about his business quietly, but was rarely penalizes and gave up very few sacks. Should have been a pro bowler.
    The other player who doesn't get enough credit IMO is Don McNeal. He's mostly remembered for being the guy that didn't tackle Rigginsin SB XVII, but he was a very good if not great cover corner and the heart and soul of the Killer B's secondary.

23. MassMiamiFan

MassMiamiFan Well-Known Member

I agree with the whole list especially #1

24. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic FinHeaven VIP

As much as I like Izzo, I don't think a pure special teamer belongs on that list.

25. Silverphin

Silverphin Chairman of the 'Owned! Awards' Commitee

I think Derrick Pope should get honorable mention. He shut down Shaun Alexander in 2004 and he solid in his lone start of 2005, being one of the reasons why we won against the Bills, especially in the second half.

26. rayfinkle5

rayfinkle5 Starter

Dan Marino

I know everyone thinks he was great. But until he is regarded by EVERYONE as the greatest QB of all time, superbowl winner or not, he is underated!

27. armyfinfan

armyfinfan Seasoned Veteran

IMO OJ Mcduffie was underrated. It seemed like he always came up with the big catch for a first down. Man it was great watching him catch Marino's bullets on third down. And didnt he lead the league in receptions one year. I dont think he ever got the credit the big name recievers got when he played.

28. PHINFREAK3675

PHINFREAK3675 *TEDDY GINN 24/7*

my friends uncle is larry cskna. i no i spelled that wrong.

29. Dolfan4life!

Dolfan4life! A True Fan

The list looks pretty good, but how could you place Izzo above Crash Jensen?

30. slyfox13

slyfox13 Pro Bowler

Your #8 on the list would have been my #1 maybe well get lucky with marcus vick and hell be a "jensenesque" player.:dolphins:

31. Slappa

Slappa Active Member

Bruce Hardy is my cousin... thnks for the props!

32. CrunchTime

CrunchTime FinHeaven Elite

IMO John Geisler,Earl Morall,Mike Kolen,Tony Nathan belong in the underated category.

I dont think Nat Moore is given enough credit.Clutch receiver.

33. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

What about OJ McDuffie? he was clutch, one of Marino's best WR's too bad turftoe ended his career.

Key words: When healthy which was almost never, he shouldn't be on that list. And who can forget Jim Jenson, I believe I have a card of him.

34. endorPHINS72

As I wrote, the list is in no particular order.

35. endorPHINS72

I guess I always thought of Nat Moore as such a great player that I never considered him as underrated. He was so good for so long.

36. endorPHINS72

Like Nat Moore, I never thought of O.J. McDuffie as underrated. I thought of him as a really good player. He was so tough going over the middle and was the best blocking wide receiver in Dolphins history. I'll never forget the 1995 Playoff Game between Miami and Kansas City where McDuffie launched himself into the air and took out Derrick Thomas on a running play. It took DT a few minutes to get up. That's a 185 lbs. receiver jacking up a 250 lbs. OLB/DE. And then there was the time in 1999 when OJ was back trying to field a punt inside the Miami 10 yard line and the gunner for the Jets was trying to track the ball down and down it inside the five. O.J. absolutely LAID HIM OUT. He was awesome, and I guess that's the reason I didn't have him on there, but you're right...he didn't and doesn't get enough respect around the league.

37. MiamiDLFIN

MiamiDLFIN Phin Phan Phorever

It is my opinion that Dan Marino was the most underrated Dolphin. I mean how could you even rate his greatness? If you disagree, that is OK, but I definitely think NFL-wide hes was underrated!!! I know that sounds funny, but I think his talent was unquantifiable. Just my opinion.

38. ricky williams

ricky williams peace lover

i loved oj, that guy never ever dropped a 3rd down catch for the 1st. if chambers could add oj consistency he could be one of the best receivers in nfl history.
    i couldn't understand why marino added clayton and duper in his hof speech but snubbed oj. :(

39. Marino420TD

Marino420TD Seasoned Veteran

Tony Nathan
    Larry Gordon
    Charles Bowser

40. Bottle Nose

Bottle Nose Well-Known Member

Don Strock... best tan ever!
    Larry Izzo... used to like reading his movie reviews on the Dolphin website.