Top 10 Underrated Dolphins of All Time | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top 10 Underrated Dolphins of All Time

TheMageGandalf said:
Mark Higgs

I was never a really big fan of Mark Higgs. He was decent, but I really don't know why Coach Shula never really tried to upgrade the RB position in the early 90s. And Bobby Humphrey was not the answer either. Bernie Parmalee was our best back during that time. In 1995, we could have drafted Corey Dillon and we went with Billy Milner instead.

endorPHINS72 said:
I was never a really big fan of Mark Higgs. He was decent, but I really don't know why Coach Shula never really tried to upgrade the RB position in the early 90s. And Bobby Humphrey was not the answer either. Bernie Parmalee was our best back during that time. In 1995, we could have drafted Corey Dillon and we went with Billy Milner instead.
I agree. Parmalee was the best back we had during those years. Another great Dolphin from Jersey...lol. He worked at UPS not far from where I grew up before he got a break in the NFL. Tough little dude. I also liked Terry Kirby too, but his build made him a better guy to catch out of the backfield.

I had a cousin who played for the Dolphins too. Here he is:

Steve Shull

LB -- William & Mary

Playing Stats

SeasonTeam(s)GamesDefenseFumblesTotal
PointsINTYdsAvgTD

1980MIA16000.0000

1981MIA16000.0000

1982MIA9000.0000

Career41000.0000

I would put Jon Geisler on the list. He went about his business quietly, but was rarely penalizes and gave up very few sacks. Should have been a pro bowler.
The other player who doesn't get enough credit IMO is Don McNeal. He's mostly remembered for being the guy that didn't tackle Rigginsin SB XVII, but he was a very good if not great cover corner and the heart and soul of the Killer B's secondary.

endorPHINS72 said:
Here are a few of mine in no particular order. Feel free to throw in your choices as well. Thanks for reading!

1. Oronde Gadsden - His last days with the Dolphins ended ugly, but the guy could catch anything thrown in his zip code and he was phenomenal at the fade in the endzone. I dare you to name a Dolphin with a better pair of hands.

2. Jim Kiick - Although Csonka and Mercury Morris got most of the credit for the Miami running game in the glory years, Kiick was a very valuable player and an integral part in our Super Bowl years of 1972 and 1973.

3. "The No Name Defense" - At first I was going to go with Bob Matheson, the integral part of Miami's "53" defense, but I realized that none of the members of that defense were household names. These guys were the most unselfish and talented defensive group nobody can name.

4. Don Strock - This guy backed up Bob Griese, David Woodley and Dan Marino. In fact, Marino said that he learned a ton of stuff from Strock. The man was always ready to play. I really feel that if Coach Shula would have started Strock in the 1983 Super Bowl versus Washington, we would have won it.

5. Larry Izzo - This guy was a demon on special teams with the Dolphins and continues to be one with the Patriots. Even though he wasn't a starter, I was sad to see him go in 2001.

6. Mike Kozlowski - Although he was overshadowed by "The Bruise Brothers", Kozlowski had a knack for finding the football. I always liked him as a kid.

7. Trace Armstrong - Although he was overshadowed by Jason Taylor, Armstrong was a tenacious pass rusher who never quit. Taylor and Armstrong both benefited from each other's presence. When he left for Oakland, he takes out a whole page ad in the Miami Herald thanking the Dolphins fans and wishing them the best. CLASS ACT!

8. Jim "Crash" Jensen - You want me to play QB? No problem? WR? No problem. RB? No problem. TE? Sure, why not? The guy was "Slash" before Slash was Slash, and a lot better at it.

9. Tony Paige - One of the best fullbacks in Dolphins history. The guy was a good pass blocker and receiver.

10. Wes Welker - Although he doesn't have explosive speed, the guy has the heart of a lion. Was asked to kick field goals and extra points for a game against the Patriots in 2004 despite not having kicked since high school and made all his attempts. Plus he returned a kickoff for a TD in 2004 against Baltimore and came one foot short of doing so against the Patriots in 2004. Unfortunately, his lack of speed may keep him from making the team this year.

HONORABLE MENTION: Steve DeBerg, Brian Walker, David Bowens, Jeff Zgonina, Yeremiah Bell, Leroy Harris, Benny Malone, Jimmy Cefalo, Freddie Solomon, Sammy Morris, Jeff Cross, Tom Vigorito, Mark Dixon (when healthy), Jeff Dellenbach, Ron Heller, Bernie Parmalee, Bruce Hardy, Jed Weaver.

I agree with the whole list especially #1

I think Derrick Pope should get honorable mention. He shut down Shaun Alexander in 2004 and he solid in his lone start of 2005, being one of the reasons why we won against the Bills, especially in the second half.

Dan Marino

I know everyone thinks he was great. But until he is regarded by EVERYONE as the greatest QB of all time, superbowl winner or not, he is underated!

IMO OJ Mcduffie was underrated. It seemed like he always came up with the big catch for a first down. Man it was great watching him catch Marino's bullets on third down. And didnt he lead the league in receptions one year. I dont think he ever got the credit the big name recievers got when he played.

endorPHINS72 said:
Here are a few of mine in no particular order. Feel free to throw in your choices as well. Thanks for reading!

1. Oronde Gadsden - His last days with the Dolphins ended ugly, but the guy could catch anything thrown in his zip code and he was phenomenal at the fade in the endzone. I dare you to name a Dolphin with a better pair of hands.

2. Jim Kiick - Although Csonka and Mercury Morris got most of the credit for the Miami running game in the glory years, Kiick was a very valuable player and an integral part in our Super Bowl years of 1972 and 1973.

3. "The No Name Defense" - At first I was going to go with Bob Matheson, the integral part of Miami's "53" defense, but I realized that none of the members of that defense were household names. These guys were the most unselfish and talented defensive group nobody can name.

4. Don Strock - This guy backed up Bob Griese, David Woodley and Dan Marino. In fact, Marino said that he learned a ton of stuff from Strock. The man was always ready to play. I really feel that if Coach Shula would have started Strock in the 1983 Super Bowl versus Washington, we would have won it.

5. Larry Izzo - This guy was a demon on special teams with the Dolphins and continues to be one with the Patriots. Even though he wasn't a starter, I was sad to see him go in 2001.

6. Mike Kozlowski - Although he was overshadowed by "The Bruise Brothers", Kozlowski had a knack for finding the football. I always liked him as a kid.

7. Trace Armstrong - Although he was overshadowed by Jason Taylor, Armstrong was a tenacious pass rusher who never quit. Taylor and Armstrong both benefited from each other's presence. When he left for Oakland, he takes out a whole page ad in the Miami Herald thanking the Dolphins fans and wishing them the best. CLASS ACT!

8. Jim "Crash" Jensen - You want me to play QB? No problem? WR? No problem. RB? No problem. TE? Sure, why not? The guy was "Slash" before Slash was Slash, and a lot better at it.

9. Tony Paige - One of the best fullbacks in Dolphins history. The guy was a good pass blocker and receiver.

10. Wes Welker - Although he doesn't have explosive speed, the guy has the heart of a lion. Was asked to kick field goals and extra points for a game against the Patriots in 2004 despite not having kicked since high school and made all his attempts. Plus he returned a kickoff for a TD in 2004 against Baltimore and came one foot short of doing so against the Patriots in 2004. Unfortunately, his lack of speed may keep him from making the team this year.

HONORABLE MENTION: Steve DeBerg, Brian Walker, David Bowens, Jeff Zgonina, Yeremiah Bell, Leroy Harris, Benny Malone, Jimmy Cefalo, Freddie Solomon, Sammy Morris, Jeff Cross, Tom Vigorito, Mark Dixon (when healthy), Jeff Dellenbach, Ron Heller, Bernie Parmalee, Bruce Hardy, Jed Weaver.
Your #8 on the list would have been my #1 maybe well get lucky with marcus vick and hell be a "jensenesque" player.:dolphins:

Back
Top Bottom