Top 5 Dolphins Plays | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top 5 Dolphins Plays

The Bopkin

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
So the other day I saw on youtube someone had posted the "top 10 plays of the Miami Dolphins"; so naturally I decided to check it out. While the plays were nice, they were all relatively recent, as I am assuming the video was probably posted by a younger fan. But this got me to thinking- what would the Dolphins' top 5 plays of all time be? Obviously subjective, I decided to come up with a list in my head while I was cleaning the house. Here is what I came up with- do you agree? Where do you differ? It is the off season now, so something hopefully interesting we can debate.

5. Fake Spike, 1994; because it was not a playoff game, I ranked this 5th; but the legendary play kept the team's 1994 momentum rolling, got a key divisional win, and sent the Jets into a downward spiral.
4. Lamar Smith finishes off Colts, playoffs, 2000; I remember diving out of my seat after Lamar Smith sealed the playoff victory and comeback vs the Colts at home after the 2000 season. Miami did everything wrong in the first half, but Smith's 200+ yard rushing day nailed down the victory with his brutal TD run.
3. Hook and Lateral, 1981; while the Dolphins lost this game, it was an amazing play to put them back in the game. They could have won this game with better FG kicking, gone to the AFC Championship.
2. AJ Duhe's INT pick 6 vs Jets, 1982 AFC Championship; this play sealed the AFC Championship against the Jets in 1982 and sent the Dolphins in a strike shorted season to the Super Bowl.
1. Larry Seiple's fake punt vs Steelers, 1972. Changed the game, saved the undefeated season, propelled Miami to first Super Bowl title.

Honorable Mention: 1994 4th and 5 Marino to Fryer vs Patriots opening day.

So the other day I saw on youtube someone had posted the "top 10 plays of the Miami Dolphins"; so naturally I decided to check it out. While the plays were nice, they were all relatively recent, as I am assuming the video was probably posted by a younger fan. But this got me to thinking- what would the Dolphins' top 5 plays of all time be? Obviously subjective, I decided to come up with a list in my head while I was cleaning the house. Here is what I came up with- do you agree? Where do you differ? It is the off season now, so something hopefully interesting we can debate.

5. Fake Spike, 1994; because it was not a playoff game, I ranked this 5th; but the legendary play kept the team's 1994 momentum rolling, got a key divisional win, and sent the Jets into a downward spiral.
4. Lamar Smith finishes off Colts, playoffs, 2000; I remember diving out of my seat after Lamar Smith sealed the playoff victory and comeback vs the Colts at home after the 2000 season. Miami did everything wrong in the first half, but Smith's 200+ yard rushing day nailed down the victory with his brutal TD run.
3. Hook and Lateral, 1981; while the Dolphins lost this game, it was an amazing play to put them back in the game. They could have won this game with better FG kicking, gone to the AFC Championship.
2. AJ Duhe's INT pick 6 vs Jets, 1982 AFC Championship; this play sealed the AFC Championship against the Jets in 1982 and sent the Dolphins in a strike shorted season to the Super Bowl.
1. Larry Seiple's fake punt vs Steelers, 1972. Changed the game, saved the undefeated season, propelled Miami to first Super Bowl title.

I remember watching that play as a kid. I had never seen anything like that before and still remember it to this day. Seiple actually ran the ball fairly often from what I recall.........

This is an excellent list.

1. The sack of Billy Kilmer by Bill Stanfill to end Super Bow VII and preserve the perfect season.

Something the Patriots defense couldn't do in 2007 and one of the most important plays in NFL History. Always gets overlooked.

I'd have to rank the 1994 4th and 5 Marino to Fryer vs Patriots opening day ahead of the fake spike. "Danny's back baby!"

Are you guys kidding?

For those old enough to have seen it (though it was blacked out in Miami), Dick Anderson's spectacular interception return in the 1971 AFC Championship Game has to be near or at the top of the list...it was the moment we realized we were going to our first Super Bowl.

EDIT: For some reason, his first name is being censored! It's the common nickname for Richard.

12.jpg

Last edited:
Are you guys kidding?

For those old enough to have seen it (though it was blacked out in Miami), **** Anderson's spectacular interception return in the 1971 AFC Championship Game has to be near or at the top of the list...it was the moment we realized we were going to our first Super Bowl.

EDIT: For some reason, his first name is being censored! It's the common nickname for Richard.

12.jpg

Hey man, quit being a Richard would ya?!

I'd have to rank the 1994 4th and 5 Marino to Fryer vs Patriots opening day ahead of the fake spike. "Danny's back baby!"
Good call. That entire final drive by Marino was awesome. Can’t believe I was at that game (or that it was almost 25 years ago)!!

The Marino to Duper bomb in the Orange Bowl (which he caught one armed) in 1985 to beat the Jets is one I’ll never forget. Turned that season around and started a win streak that didn’t end until the unfortunate letdown against the Patriots in the AFC championship.

Marino to Duper on a flea flicker against L.A. Rams in mid 80's. Fins won in ot 38-31 in classic Marino vs Dickerson.

Marino to Duper on a flea flicker against L.A. Rams in mid 80's. Fins won in ot 38-31 in classic Marino vs Dickerson.

Don't you mean...."Richard"erson???...lm*o...sorry, couldn't help myself

Back
Top Bottom