Top 5 Edge Rushers + Scouting Reports | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top 5 Edge Rushers + Scouting Reports

Tannenbombs

Club Member
Reaction score
#1. Vic Beasley DE Clemson 6'2 235 4.58

Strengths: Plays in a 3pt and 2pt stance, backside pursuit, strong hands, snap anticipation and reaction, high motor, instinctive, explosive first step, very fluid hips, ability to bend around the edge and turn the corner, Diverse set of inside counter moves (club rip, spin, club arm-over), plays stronger than he looks, containment, converts speed to power, effective use of hesitation jab, speed, change of direction, quickness, knee bender, mobility/flexibility, shields cut block, gets inside hand positon, gets into throwing lane and gets hands up to bat down passes, low pad level, squares up on his 2nd step in run game, highly competitve, hips always pointed towards the QB instead of the goal posts, extremely diverse pass rush arsenal with multiple edge moves and counter moves, can beat you all 3 ways: edge, bull rush, inside counters, knows how to set up rush moves that build off each other, stays tight to a tackles hip limiting the air and ability to recover and push him up the field in pass rush, screen/draw reaction, effective on line games, can rush both sides, ability to force fumbles, sideline to sideline range.

Weaknesses: Size, doesn't counter at QB depth, doesn't play on the LOS and gets too far up the field in the run game leaving creases and running lanes, very limited experience in coverage, strength at the point of attack, disengagement in the run game, ability to set the edge of the defense.

Summary: Best fits as a LEO player in a defense like the Seahawks/Jags. Also a great fit as a 3-4 OLB. In a 4-3 defense he is limited to being a situational pass rusher due to his lack of size/strength to anchor at the point of attack, disengage in the run game, and set the edge of the defense. Pencil him in for double digit sacks for his entire career, he will be one of the elite edge rushers in the NFL.

Grade: Top 5

#2. Randy Gregory DE Nebraska 6'6 245 4.76

Strengths: Height/Length, discipline Vs. zone read, can move around in exotic blitz packages, utilizes a club + arm over as his primary edge move as well as his inside counter move, sideline to sideline range, high motor, can rush both sides standing up or playing down, fluid hips, can bend and turn the corner, speed, change of directon, quickness, moblity/flexibility, knee bender, explosive first step, containment, backside pursuit, gets his hands in the throwing lane, closing ability

Weaknesses: Thin build, strength, will work right down the middle of a tackle instead of working 1/2 a man in pass pro, will hop at times instead of step out of stance, high pad level, mostly because he takes an elongated 2nd step in the run game which causes him to raise his pads, doesn't create seperation in the run game, doesn't disengage in the run game, doesn't convert speed to power, has below avg. snap anticipation/reaction, only 1 edge pass rush move, could finish his pass rush moves tighter to tackles hip, doesn't counter at QB depth, flashes counter club + arm over and occasional spin move but needs more consistency utilizing an inside counter move, not a physical edge setter, lacks strength at the point of attack, hands get outside the framework, lacks instincts, lacks coverage experience, very raw needs to iron out wrinkles in his game.

Summary: Potential. Has all the potential in the world with rare length + athleticism + motor. Needs continued development in build/strength as well as overall technique Vs. run and pass. Will likely struggle a bit early on in his career until he develops lower pad level, placing his hands inside, hand usage in the run game, and multiple pass rush moves. With proper development has potential to be a multiple pro bowler.

Grade: Top 10

#3. Noah Spence DE Ohio State 6'3 252 4.68

Strengths: Motor, snap anticipation/reaction, explosive first step, fluid hips, speed, change of direction, quickness, mobility/ flexibility, knee bender, gets hands in the throwing lane, versatility, backside pursuit, great ability to bend and turn the corner, sideline to sideline range, can drop in coverage, inside counter (club+arm over), speed rush, rip move, inside hands, ability to force fumbles, closing ability, knows exactly when to counter inside, low pad level, some experience in coverage

Weaknesses: Slightly undersized, shielding cut blocks, strength, zero awareness of screens and draws, will lose containment at times, not a physical edge setter, lacks strength at the point of attack, struggles to disengage in the run game, needs a bull rush as an occasional change of pace move, needs to counter at QB depth.

Summary: Highly athletic smooth pass rusher can play a LEO role in a D like Seattles or Jacksonvilles, or a RE in a 4-3. Also has great appeal to a 3-4 team. Needs to continue to get stronger, and try to improve reaction and awareness to screens and draws. Potential double digit sack artist.

Grade: 1st Round

#4. Alvin Dupree DE Kentucky 6'4 267 4.63

Strengths: Good size, shields cut blocks, club + arm over, ability to dip and turn the corner, edge setter, containment, motor, backside pursuit, snap anticipation/reaction, knows when to counter, converts speed to power, sideline to sideline range, explosive first step, counter at QB depth, versatility, adaquete strength, speed to power, zone read discipline, speed, change of direction, quickness, knee bender, fluid enough hips to drop

Weaknesses: could use more strength at the point of attack, improve hand use to disengage Vs. the run, lacks experience in coverage

Summary: Versatile under the radar end has very few weaknesses, and I would say not any of his strengths are "elite" but very sold overall. Could just as easily see him as a 4-3 DE as a 3-4 OLB.

#5. Shilique Calhoun DE Michigan State 6'4 257 4.72

Strengths: Good size, quickness, pretty good snap anticipation/reaction, bend around the edge to turn the corner, speed, change of direction, foot quickness, good first step explosion, effective on line games, inside hands, playmaking ability (3 TDs in 2013), nice club+ arm over, hand quickness, high motor, plays both sides, hips are pretty fluid, backside pursuit, strong hands, always around the ball, setting the edge, pretty good strength at the point of attack, knee bender, zone read discipline, containment, pad level, sideline to sideline range.

Weaknesses: Could finish his club + arm over move tighter to tackles hip, speed to power, diverse pass rush game, inside counter moves, disengagement in run game.

Summary: Projects best as a 4-3 DE but has the potential to be a conversion 3-4 OLB. Won't be Brooks or Urlacher in coverage but hips are fluid enough to drop occasionally. Needs to add more diversity with his pass rush by consistently countering inside when given the opportunity and adding a bull rush.

Runner Up: Hau'oli Kikaha DE Washington 6'3 250 4.74

As a side note, not the least bit impressed with Dante Fowler. His whopping 3.5 sacks are inflated by 2 freebies were he came unblocked due to a mixup in protection vs Kentucky. I believe I counted 5 times where he was cut on the ground vs Miami. Florida is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole by making him a BUCK (4-3 End/ 3-4 OLB) type of player. He would be best utilized as a 5 tech in base packages and a 3 technique in subpackages. He is even worse at rushing the passer than his 3.5 sacks would indicate because he generates zero pressure. All he has is a bull rush. Doesn't have the speed + explosion, bend, hand use to win the corner, and lacks the awareness to counter inside when tackles overset. He also has an extremely poor motor, and the amount of "loaf" plays I counted were staggering. Early reports say he is much improved, but based off of 2013 tape, I have a 2nd/3rd round grade on him.

As a side note, not the least bit impressed with Dante Fowler. His whopping 3.5 sacks are inflated by 2 freebies were he came unblocked due to a mixup in protection vs Kentucky. I believe I counted 5 times where he was cut on the ground vs Miami. Florida is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole by making him a BUCK (4-3 End/ 3-4 OLB) type of player. He would be best utilized as a 5 tech in base packages and a 3 technique in subpackages. He is even worse at rushing the passer than his 3.5 sacks would indicate because he generates zero pressure. All he has is a bull rush. Doesn't have the speed + explosion, bend, hand use to win the corner, and lacks the awareness to counter inside when tackles overset. He also has an extremely poor motor, and the amount of "loaf" plays I counted were staggering. Early reports say he is much improved, but based off of 2013 tape, I have a 2nd/3rd round grade on him.

Agree with this in its entirety. Down to the detail.

Receives substantial hype as a potential top-15 pick....I don't see it. He's a stiffer and less inspired version of Derrick Harvey.

Agree with this in its entirety. Down to the detail.

Receives substantial hype as a potential top-15 pick....I don't see it. He's a stiffer and less inspired version of Derrick Harvey.

I also just put together a similar thread about interior defenders. Look forward to your opinion on both lists and thanks for the feedback.

This is good stuff. Hope you stick around throughout the year and continue to contribute.

This is good stuff. Hope you stick around throughout the year and continue to contribute.

Thanks I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll definitely redo the two defensive line lists I made once the season is over, and depending on how much time I have, will do other positions as well. Defensive line is my specialty so I chose to do that.

I know it's early but based off the SMU game, I would already place Shawn Oakman #3 on this list now. Having said that it is, one game.

I brought this thread up in the VIP chat but I wanted to bump it to look back on my pre-season reports.

Boy, Dante Fowler 2014 vs. 2013 is a different player. I'm not sold on him as a top 5 pick, but he carries a strong 1st round grade for me.

I brought this thread up in the VIP chat but I wanted to bump it to look back on my pre-season reports.

Boy, Dante Fowler 2014 vs. 2013 is a different player. I'm not sold on him as a top 5 pick, but he carries a strong 1st round grade for me.

What's the biggest difference?

what rating would Markus Golden get? Definitely is one of my favorite pass rushers this year and could be a good value pick later in the draft.

Dupree of Kentucky is the intriguing guy. I completely agree with the negative listed, that he needs to improve his use of hands. I would say he desperately needs to improve that area, versus the run and pass.

Dupree gets into wide open spaces so easily it's scary. The scheme allowed it and his remarkable agility and first steps enabled it. But at that point he thinks he is home free. He tucks his arms so close to his body it's like a raptor. He seemingly has no idea that another blocker can intercept and disrupt him. That worked in low level games and in empty sets but in the NFL he's going to have to deal with aggressive running backs confronting him before he encounters the quarterback.

I like him but he's nothing close to Lawrence Taylor, who got around the corner with similar ease but had that lethal wingspan, leverage and tomahawk chop.

I agree that Fowler improved this year. I still have my doubts. As Tannenball isolated, in that 2013 opener at Miami he was not among the best Gator defenders. I may retain too many images from watching that game in the stands.

Back
Top Bottom