Trade down if avail? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade down if avail?

NJPHINFAN79

Active Roster
Reaction score
messing around I made a one early trade mock with Detroit and moved down from 11 to 20 in the first but also picked up a second and third.

Although this draft fell very well IMO, the bitter taste of trading away from earl Thomas for odrick and misi still lingers. (Although had we selected gronk instead of misi) I wouldn’t be even questioning trading back.

What 3-4 players would you need still on the board for you to want to trade back?

Here’s what happened with my attempt:

Attachments

• 84A31E6F-D6E7-4E2A-BE77-3A476EBB38CD.png
    84A31E6F-D6E7-4E2A-BE77-3A476EBB38CD.png
    185.4 KB · Views: 17
Given your trauma over the Earl Thomas thing, it would seem the most appropriate question to ask would be which 3 or 4 players could be on the board at 11 overall that would make you REJECT the idea of trading back?

Who are the Earl Thomases in this scenario?

But it is well to remember they're not all Earl Thomas. A few years ago the Dolphins traded back well in advance of the draft. But if they hadn't, I imagine Laremy Tunsil's surprise availability at #8 overall could very well have illicited this same line of thinking. Tunsil has yet to really show us that he was worthy of such lofty consideration.

I am not sure yet if I have any guys up on the board that I would hate to lose. I love Minkah Fitzpatrick and Derwin James. I love Marcus Davenport and Bradley Chubb. I love all four of the quarterbacks. I love Saquon Barkley. I love Vita Vea.

Probably to a bit of a lesser extent than the above, I like Roquan Smith, Rashaan Evans, and Tremaine Edmunds. I like Joshua Jackson, Denzel Ward, Mike Hughes, Tarvarus McFadden, and Jaire Alexander. I like Ronnie Harrison. I like Sam Hubbard and Harold Landry. I like DaRon Payne. I like Orlando Brown. I like Mark Andrews and Dallas Goedert. I like Christian Kirk.

From there I start liking guys like Sony Michel, James Washington, Quenton Nelson, Will Hernandez, and Isaiah Wynn, Connor Williams, Maurice Hurst and Taven Bryan, Lorenzo Carter, and Isaiah Oliver.

Some guys I've still not really watched a lot of, like Harrison Phillips, some of the offensive linemen, many of the safeties.

Man I think about this way too much. If a team is willing to overpay I’d be more than happy trading down and getting Will Hernandez.

I think you should go in with a definitive Tier 1 class and you hope to get one of these guys at 11. For me they are:
Rosen
Allen
Darnold
Minkah
Chubb
Derwin
Barkley
If none available I look to drop 10 spots for an additional 2nd.

I like guys like Vita but have him close in valauarion to Payne, Ward Jackson Goedert etc. I believe you will get similar end level player at 20-25.

Absolutely! We make this trade and keep Landry (overpay for home grown top 5 talent at his slot position) rather than overpay for slightly above average and probably injury latent free agents.

We need a youth movement and numbers. There is no one player that will fix our LB's, Offensive line, DE, safety, TE, back-up QB and numerous depth positions.

Given your trauma over the Earl Thomas thing, it would seem the most appropriate question to ask would be which 3 or 4 players could be on the board at 11 overall that would make you REJECT the idea of trading back?

Who are the Earl Thomases in this scenario?

But it is well to remember they're not all Earl Thomas. A few years ago the Dolphins traded back well in advance of the draft. But if they hadn't, I imagine Laremy Tunsil's surprise availability at #8 overall could very well have illicited this same line of thinking. Tunsil has yet to really show us that he was worthy of such lofty consideration.

I wouldn’t mind the earl Thomas thing so much if we hit on either pick but both were avg at best. So had they say hit on gronk, no one would think twice.

I think if Barkley, Chubb, Fitzpatrick, are there you can’t move.

I think if there are 3-4 of this group around we can risk dropping and getting more ammo. Obviously the more that remain the further back and more valuable you can chance it.

Nelson, smith, Evans, James, Edmunds, mayfield, vea, ward,

Borderline Alexander and Davenport.

So theoretically that’s 8-10 spots at best I would move down. I wouldn’t want to be put past one of those cut points either.

So those are my parameters. If you can’t stay there don’t move unless the offer is Crazy (like maybe mayfield on the board and we can snag Buffalos 2 firsts) pipe dream maybe lol or something else that can’t be turned down.

I wish Miami could trade the 2019 1st round pick to the Browns for two 2nd round picks (33rd and 35th) Cleveland has this year. That would give MIami a 1st, two 2nd, a 3rd and two 4th round picks. Those six picks and two or three free aq=gent additions could really put the team on the right track.

If Davenport, James, Fitzpatrick,Chiubb, or Barkley are already gone, you can move. The only one I would say is a slam dunk and don't move unless it is something incredible like Buffalo giving me both of their 1st rd. picks, is James. The other ones I would be willing to move if the price is right--if the price is right, you can move for anyone.

I wish Miami could trade the 2019 1st round pick to the Browns for two 2nd round picks (33rd and 35th) Cleveland has this year. That would give MIami a 1st, two 2nd, a 3rd and two 4th round picks. Those six picks and two or three free aq=gent additions could really put the team on the right track.
In this hypo, our 2019 1st Rd pick is only with 33 this year at best. No way you get 33 & 35.
The present year pick is worth 1Rd better than next years.

I like a trade down because premium players at the positions we should be targeting can be had later. I would love multiple 2nd round picks.

Our problem hasn’t been trading down. It’s picking the wrong players after trading down.

I like a trade down because premium players at the positions we should be targeting can be had later. I would love multiple 2nd round picks.

Our problem hasn’t been trading down. It’s picking the wrong players after trading down.

I agree...with the roster we have, the positions (not talent but bodies) we will lose and our cap situation I believe we need as many draft picks we can acquire for the big picture (long term future) of our team....

IF we could gain a 2nd AND a third somehow I would be ecstatic....BUT, again, we have to pick the right guys.....

Is our scouting team AND our decision makers on the same page?

I agree with other posters. It starts with identifying the elite guys. Slimm, CK and J-Off would probably be the best sources on this site to come up with that list.

If those elite guys are gone and you have similar value on the next 10 or so, then that would absolutely make sense to get more picks.

Not that I would do it given our many needs but.....2013 was not the year to trade up to #3 for a boom/bust DE. According to the trade value chart that was a good deal. They just picked the wrong guy. 2018 may be a better time for a guy like Bradley Chubb.

Would anyone give up #11 & 42 for Chubb?

I have been on-board with trading down and getting additional picks since the season ended. This draft, outside maybe the top 8-10 players, is not very impressive so if we can get additional bodies and potentially plug more holes/needs, I am all in favor. With all the pre-draft chatter from the sportswriters and all the ridiculous mock drafts, there is no real consensus on who the top 2-3 picks will be. To me that is indicative that this draft is not as strong as some of the previous ones. So if we can trade back and get some depth and address needs, do it.

Back
Top Bottom