Trade for Albert vs. Trade up in draft for LT vs. Draft as is (Poll)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by nando03, Apr 20, 2013.

?

Trade for Albert, trade up in draft or neither?

1. Trade #54 for Brandon Albert

140 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. Trade up from #12 to #6 for one of the big 3 LT's

42 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. Stay put and draft as is

123 vote(s)
    40.3%
  1. nando03

nando03 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

So there is a lot of talk on the main forum regarding what we are going to do at LT. Do we trade for Brandon Albert? Do we trade up and draft one of the big 3 LT's? Do we do neither or those and keep our picks and build that way? Maybe picking up a RT and moving Martin to LT.

So I'd like to get your opinion on what you would like the Fins to do. Pick one of the 3 and state why you picked that option.

We will assume that the trade for Albert will cost us pick #54.

We will assume that we could trade up to the #6 spot with Cleveland. This costs 400 points based on the draft value chart. Trading up would cost us the #12 and #54. Should be spot on and maybe another late round pick.

Or just stand pat and do our thing.

2. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

I see what you're asking here, but I'd like to have a trade down option. If we could trade down a few and pick up a 2nd. I would'nt be opposed to it. Whats the big deal with an LT anyway? If Ryan can get that ball out in time, as with Philbin's quick dump system, Martin shouldbe just fine. Enough linemen.

3. DcRy82

DcRy82 A True Fan

4. DcRy82

DcRy82 A True Fan

But as far as my preference, I'd like to develop Martin at LT where he showed improvement as time went on and then grab Winston to play RT. Keep our picks.

5. kitt23

kitt23 Starter

id personally would trade down, keep picks, and gather more picks. maybe we could trade down a cpouple times to get picks for next yr to!

6. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

Not sure what your point was, that article reiterates that HE IS NOT an elite left tackle, and is disapointing in the running game.

7. SnakeoilSeller

SnakeoilSeller Scout Team

I checked stay put however I could just as easily picked trade #54 for Albert as well, predicated on several things:

1) I would wait and see how Round 1 plays out. A Tackle could fall to them, or the Fins could trade back and pick up another 2nd round pick and then trade for Albert.

2) Albert's contract needs to be manageable.

Albert is a good but not great LT. IMHO, a top 10 LT in the league. When all is said and done, if the Fins essentially trade Vontae Davis for Albert and pay Albert like he is top 10 and not top 5 LT then I could be ok with that.

8. gofins60

gofins60 A True Fan

I won't vote because I'm undecided over trading up or standing pat. I do know that getting Albert is not worth the money he wants and a draft pick. Miami needs to build through the draft (and add a few Free Agents here and there), but since they ideally should be replacing most of this "losing" roster it will take more than one off-season to do so. They have to consider every single need and decide which positions must be addressed this year, and which can wait until next year. Unfortunately, the O-line is STILL an issue with this team! I think that they should draft 2 O-linemen; I don't believe that Martin is going to be the starting LT. (If he is, then we may be looking for another QB next year.) For this year, at the minimum they need to improve the damn O-line, get at least one starting CB, a good pass rusher, and probably a TE. The problem I see is that Miami has not been very good at drafting O-line in the recent past, so can we trust them to do better now? I wouldn't be upset if they drafted one CB, one pass rusher, and spent the rest of the picks on the O-line!

9. Markcalius

Markcalius Druggist Finheaven VIP

Trading up to get an LT needs to involve spending Ablert's money on Abraham or some other free agent DE. That way you factor the money into the poll.

10. finsfan4life

finsfan4life In Dawn We Trust!

Why can't we stay put and trade the 54th pick for Albert?

11. DcRy82

DcRy82 A True Fan

I, nor have I seen anybody else claim him to be an elite LT... My point is that he is better than any LT we'd get in the 2nd round or with the 12th pick for that matter. My point is that a 2nd round pick and a 7 mil/yr contract would be fair value. That's my point. And in the FOLLOWING post, you will see my preference...

12. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

Ok...didn't see this, I agree on all accounts...I really don't want to give up any of those top picks in such a deep draft.

13. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

I'd rather the phins take Armstead with pck 2b or 3a.

I'm curious to see Yeatman in the ZBS & hope he can be the 3rd OT.

14. state06

state06 A True Fan

im just worried we would pay him more than he is worth. We have to make some cap conscious moves

15. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

I say stay put and draft an O-lineman in round two or three.

16. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

Trade #54 for Brandon Albert as long as we pay him less than what Long got from St. Louis.

17. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

First of all, I hope we don't have any underage or otherwise disqualified voters.

My vote is to stay put. I hate being roped into an option solely because it's the most obvious and available one at a given point in time. Would we care about Albert a year ago, or a year from now? We're concerned about Martin at left tackle and this guy is out there. Who gives a flip? I'm not interested in checking something off the list if it's not an ideal solution. We're a long way from legit contender and I'm not convinced this guy does anything for us. He's known as a self centered player, dating to Virginia. Nice agility. Better pass blocker than recent Jake Long. Not a run blocker or particularly tough. He wants one big contract while still in his prime. At that point I'm not confident he won't be a convenient Murphy's Law candidate, as others have put it.

The Miami Dolphins are going to be exponentially more concerned with how Albert performs, or how the team performs, than Albert will be. I remember the early '70s when we avoided guys like this. The lockerroom and therefore the post game radio show on WIOD were eerily silent after a rare defeat. Now we check boxes off a list and load up on guys who don't fully care. Then we wonder what went wrong.

18. WadeCounty1231

WadeCounty1231 Well-Known Member

ill go with neither

target pass rusher/db with the first rounder, and Kyle Long/Armstead with the second rounder.

Dont give up a second rounder in order to mightily overpay an ot. And of course dont draft one with a first rounder.

19. 72champagne

72champagne the annual ritual

trade down or take a tackle, cb and te with our top 3 picks, in any order. i don't want Albert and his bad back for a ton of cash while losing a pick.

20. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

I think if the reason we didn't resign Long was money, and we want to draft expensive players, then Albert should not be an option unless hes willing sign a bargain deal. With that in mind this draft has players up and down the board, and we have more holes to fill than just OL. So I either stay at 12 and take BPA, most likely a CB and a 2nd rd OL, or trade back, maybe with Minn, and get CB and OL in the 1st.

I'm becoming a fan of Menelik Watson. The guy is very athletic, and demonstrated solid skills after only playing football for a few seasons. He has room to improve and can probably be had with our 2a.

21. DphinBillkiller

DphinBillkiller Touchdown

At the moment I'm leaning towards staying put and drafting the best players available.

22. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

I'd rather trade the pick for Albert, then have the option to trade back if the guy they want is off the board or if they can get him further in the first round, that way you get the guy you want, get Albert, and potentially replace the pick for Albert...so in essence, we got Albert for nothing, almost as if we signed him as a FA, assuming we trade back.

23. 72champagne

72champagne the annual ritual

none of that is anywhere near like 'almost as if we signed him as a FA', plus we're stuck with a big contract guy likely going downhill, similar to a lot of other FA bums on the OL we've overpaid.

24. Joe_purp

Joe_purp Active Member

I don't see why people like Albert. I would like a trade back in the first round and pick up extra picks and see who we can draft.

25. Oronde

Oronde Well-Known Member

I don't the Dolphins to sell their souls for a left tackle. The pick AND the cap figure is too much for Albert, and whole trading up for Johnson isn't as bad, it's still a bit steeper than what I would be comfortable with.

26. CRAZYDOLFAN305

CRAZYDOLFAN305 We Are Still Going To The SB

1. Houston Texans: Duane Brown 1st Round (8.9 MillPer Yea) (Made The Playoffs)
    2. Cincinatti Bengals: Andrew Whitworth 2nd Round (9.7 Mill Per Year) (Made The Playoffs)
    3. Washington Redskins:Trent Williams 1st Round (10 Mill Per Year) (Made The Playoffs)
    4. Seattle Seahawks: Russell Ogung 1st Round (8 Million Per Year) (Made The Playoffs)
    5. San Francisco 49ers: Joe Stalley 1st Round (7 Mill Per Year) (Made The Playoffs)
    6. Atlanta Falcons : Sam Baker 1st Round (6.8 Mill Per Year) (Made The Playoffs)
    7. Minnesota Vikings : Matt Kalill 1st Round (4.5 Mill Per Year On His Rookie Deal, new CBA Rules) (Made The Playoffs)
    8. New England Patriots: Nate Solder 1st Round (2.1 Million Per Year On His Rookie Deal, new CBA Rules)(Made The Playoffs)
    9. Indianapolis Colts: Anthony Castonzo 1st Round (2.0 Million Per Year On His Rookie Deal, new CBA Rules) (Made The Playoffs)
    10.Denver Broncos : Ryan Claddy 1st Round (9.8 Million Per Year) (Made The Playoffs)

Including the Ravens, with Bryant Mckinnie, all but two playoff teams had a first round Left Tackle!

Green Bay (NewHouse 5th Round)
    Bengals (Whitworth 2nd Round)

So the argument can be made to pass on Albert and give up whatever we need in order to get a LT, no matter how much we think it's just not that important.

27. hunt4luck000

hunt4luck000 Active Member

i agree , keep our picks n get winton , i say no for albert . he is old for what money he mite want

28. Perfect72

Perfect72 It's Only Happened ONCE!

Prefer to see how the board falss before trading if at all. Actuall prefer BPA or trade back scenario for more picks.

29. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Here is the deal. I have been an advocate for trading for Albert. However, with a trade up to 4 or 6 it will cost the same as is trading for Albert in terms of picks. The draftee is obviously younger and cheaper...but not as good as Albert right off the bat.

I think Jeff is playing this perfectly. See if on Thursday you can can get a top 3 OT and if not work the phones and trade for Albert. Fluid situation that will be fixed soon. Team is handling it perfectly.

30. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

I think Trade up makes most sense. All 3 LTs are great ZBS players and will help our cap down the round which gives more flexibility to get more players next year to get us to the SB. Best case is to get one of the LTs or one of the 2 OGs (not trade up for OGs).

31. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

Trade down from 12th to 18th and pick up another 2nd. Use one of those 2nds on Long, Armstead or Watson

32. taz_butcher

taz_butcher Rookie

I voted to trade up but not for lt. I want to go for Millimer and then if front office see's fit trade for albert or sign Winston. By doing this we take care our two biggest needs and rest of draft add depth.

33. dolphn

dolphn Member

i think branden albert for pick #54 would be a steal

34. Etuoo33

Etuoo33 Seasoned Veteran

Albert is pricing himself right out of a trade. I thought that might happen, he played very good last year but has only had 2 good years. Now he wants to break the bank... enjoy another losing season there in KC, we have other options... cheaper ones, and we are on the verge of something that looks to be very good here.:)

35. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Well if he had came to Miami in 2008 he would have the same amount of losing seasons as he has had in KC

36. nyashfan

nyashfan For Earth Below

I'd be willing to trade #54 for Albert especially if Cooper is available at #12. That would hopefully secure the OL. If Cooper is gone perhaps it's best to trade down and try to draft Eifert.

37. gunn34

gunn34 Pro Bowler

Stay put. A great player will drop to us.

38. NCFINFAN13

NCFINFAN13 The Phinsuckery Continues Donator

Stay put.