Trade for Vontae Davis Looking Like a Bust More and More for the Colts | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade for Vontae Davis Looking Like a Bust More and More for the Colts

You mean the guy who drafted him in the first round? That Jeff Ireland?

When most GMs take a risk on a guy who has the talent to be a world pro and lose, they are out a 1st round pick.

Miami lost 14-15 spots in the draft. That ain't bad. Maybe it's because I've been a poker player for so long but I see the value here.

Not everyone, I and quite a few others thought it was a good trade from the get go

Well thats not what you said when it happened. In fact you didnt say anything. So dont say you stood up for the trade when you didnt. Anyways, while everyone wants to say now that they were all for the trade, go read the major threads regading the trade at the time it happened - alomost nobody was for the trade. Go look it up. I swear some people's memories are worse than a politician's around here.

You mean the guy who drafted him in the first round? That Jeff Ireland?

talent wise, Vontae was worth the risk. A big issue people had with Ireland and Parcells drafts were they were conservative picks. The early return on Vontae wasn't bad, but much like many players before him, he felt his talent was enough to get by in the NFL. Look at Vontae's tangibles, if he put the effort in he'd be a top 5 CB, maybe even the best in the league. So far, he hasn't had that drive to get better.

Besides, most were calling for us to draft Darius Butler that year.

talent wise, Vontae was worth the risk. A big issue people had with Ireland and Parcells drafts were they were conservative picks. The early return on Vontae wasn't bad, but much like many players before him, he felt his talent was enough to get by in the NFL. Look at Vontae's tangibles, if he put the effort in he'd be a top 5 CB, maybe even the best in the league. So far, he hasn't had that drive to get better.

Besides, most were calling for us to draft Darius Butler that year.

Yep I agree with the Vontae pick too. He was top 10 talent that fell to pick #25 because of attitude and work ethic. It was worth the risk of getting a top CB at #25, and it was hardly a conservative pick. Vontae couldn't dedicate himself like he was expected to, and we moved on. Its happenes all the time in the NFL.

I am one to say I was happy he was gone, we lost a starting CB but he was a bum. Smith is now shining and although Marshall is struggling I feel like we are better, plus we got a 2nd rd pick! We can draft his replacement as this draft class has a few good CBs. I am happy that cancer is off the team.

I have no problem with getting rid of Davis, i buried the guy in many posts. But am not going to give the guy who spent a first rd pick on him, credit for getting less for him now.

ireland still drafted him with a 1st, getting a mid to high 2nd for him... how is that winning?

ireland still drafted him with a 1st, getting a mid to high 2nd for him... how is that winning?

Well, he helped us win some games over 3 years. Winning isn't free. You have to pay something.

A mid to high 2nd for him... a year before his contract is up.

I was pretty conflicted about the trade (because even though Vontae wasn't great, he had the physical tools and I thought he'd improve). Not too upset about it now though.

When most GMs take a risk on a guy who has the talent to be a world pro and lose, they are out a 1st round pick.

Miami lost 14-15 spots in the draft. That ain't bad. Maybe it's because I've been a poker player for so long but I see the value here.

You see value in trading a 1st round pick for a 2nd several years later? I don't. I will give him credit for cutting his losses though.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

Looks like everyone on this board including myself was wrong, and Ireland was right. Getting a 2nd round pick and conditional 6th rounder was a steal for Vontae Davis.

Not 'everyone' agreed with you. I personally thought, since he showed up out of shape to camp and then looked lazy on Hard Knocks, thought the move was worth it. You don't go into work, with a new boss in town, fat and slow. With Philbin preaching 'professionalism' it was a matter of time before a player had to become a example. And that example was Vontae. Getting a 2nd for him was a good move by Ireland.

In the long run, Vontae will bounce back, IMO. But I do believe this season might be shot for him. His first few games in INDY were terrible. One of which was being matched up against Marshall and being abused all day.

I was initially really disappointed when we traded Vontae. I thought during training camp he was being left out as a wake up call to get up to speed and I hoped it would work. The guy has talent. Obviously it wasn't getting through and he was shipped out and the trade did make sense. I'd still not say he is a liability etc based on his start in Indy as that's just 4 games whereas he has 3 pretty good seasons here.

Well thats not what you said when it happened. In fact you didnt say anything. So dont say you stood up for the trade when you didnt. Anyways, while everyone wants to say now that they were all for the trade, go read the major threads regading the trade at the time it happened - alomost nobody was for the trade. Go look it up. I swear some people's memories are worse than a politician's around here.

There have been many threads since this trade happened, where people have made discussion points on this trade. Just because it didn't happen in what you call the 'major threads' doesn't mean it wasn't said. Don't sit here and try to re write history as you see it.

There have been many threads since this trade happened, where people have made discussion points on this trade. Just because it didn't happen in what you call the 'major threads' doesn't mean it wasn't said. Don't sit here and try to re write history as you see it.

Well I specifically said "when the trade happened", as in people's initial reaction. Why cant people differentiate between an initial reaction and hindisight a month later? Of course we all agree it was a good trade now, or even a few weeks after, but I was contrasting everyones initial reaction to a month later. I read this forum several times a day. Ive gone back and read the initial reaction threads, and I know what was in there. Go look it up if you dont believe me.

And you werent posting anywhere near when the trade happened, but I guess yuo are going to tell me too that you were here saying it was a good trade from very first day too?

Back
Top Bottom