Trade Up Talk | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade Up Talk

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
This is just for fun. I'm not talking about trading up from 25ish to first overall, although that opinion is welcome as well. I'm talking more about a player who drops closer to Miami's range that you feel is worth trading up for and not necessarily in round 1.

For round 1, the player I'd most like for Miami is Reuben Foster. He has been pretty consistently mocked in the top 10, but that is pretty rare for linebackers in recent years. If he drops a bit, I think he would be a perfect fit. The Dolphins can probably sit at their spot and have some pretty good options at linebacker I would think.

I'm more inclined to look at a trade up in the second round. One player that has my attention is Pat Elflein, the center/guard from Ohio State. I don't think he goes round 1, but there's a good shot he's near the top of round 2.

If Miami can come out of this draft with a top-notch linebacker and a versatile offensive linemen 1-2 in the draft that would be a near perfect start.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see them trading up if Cam Robinson falls a little. I don't think he's getting out of the top 2, but some people have D. Watson falling. He'd be an upgrade that I wouldn't pass up. My sleeper trade up would be Takkarist McKinley.

I can see them trading up if Cam Robinson falls a little. I don't think he's getting out of the top 2, but some people have D. Watson falling. He'd be an upgrade that I wouldn't pass up. My sleeper trade up would be Takkarist McKinley.

Robinson is interesting. I've seen him mocked all over the place from early to late first, even second round. He would almost certainly be a target if he makes it to Miami's pick IMO.

I'm starting to think that safety could be an earlier pick than expected. With injuries there to both starters, potential signing issues with Jones and the talent at the position, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a 1st or 2nd round safety pick.

A really good safety/hybrid is going to go top of the 2nd, just based on numbers.

If we could snag an LB or DE in the first, a trade up to get a Budda Baker would be a big result.

He may not be for everyone but I really like DE Derek Barnett out of Tennessee. Not saying we will have to trade up for him but he is on my list.

Barnett can play! The Combine is the only thing that can keep him out of the top-10.

While Myles Garrett gets all of the notoriety in the SEC I see Barnett just as good and he shows up in big games. He is the kind of player we need where they raise their level of play to the opponent. I hoping more underclassmen come out and some QBs get pushed up for him to slide in the teens. Once he gets there who knows...

Robinson is interesting. I've seen him mocked all over the place from early to late first, even second round. He would almost certainly be a target if he makes it to Miami's pick IMO.

I'm starting to think that safety could be an earlier pick than expected. With injuries there to both starters, potential signing issues with Jones and the talent at the position, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a 1st or 2nd round safety pick.

F13 shouted out B. Baker, and he looks good, but my guy is Marcus Williams from Utah. Instincts, physical tools, intelligence - he checks every box. All Academic Team Pac 12, freak athlete, INT production - he should go in the 1st, but I don't pass on that in the 2nd for (almost) anything.

This is easily the best Safety class since 2010, and it might be deeper. I mentioned it in Slimm's Senior Safety thread, but Nate Gerry is being projected as a 6th RD pick. That won't hold, but it says something that a guy like Gerry could so easily get lost in the shuffle. If I'm Miami, I'm looking to be opportunistic at DE, LB, S, TE, and CB. These are very strong groups, and value will be there for each position in most rounds. But, Marcus Williams is really good.

F13 shouted out B. Baker, and he looks good, but my guy is Marcus Williams from Utah. Instincts, physical tools, intelligence - he checks every box. All Academic Team Pac 12, freak athlete, INT production - he should go in the 1st, but I don't pass on that in the 2nd for (almost) anything. This is easily the best Safety class since 2010, and it might be deeper. I mentioned it in Slimm's Senior Safety thread, but Nate Gerry is being projected as a 6th RD pick. That won't hold, but it says something that a guy like Gerry could so easily get lost in the shuffle. If I'm Miami, I'm looking to be opportunistic at DE, LB, S, TE, and CB. These are very strong groups, and value will be there for each position in most rounds. But, Marcus Williams is really good.
I agree that Gerry as a 6th rounder is crazy as I see him as a late day 2 early day 3 pick. I do wonder about him with his academic suspension. We are big on intelligence and one has to wonder about his....the same with TE Sprinkle.

I agree that Gerry as a 6th rounder is crazy as I see him as a late day 2 early day 3 pick. I do wonder about him with his academic suspension. We are big on intelligence and one has to wonder about his....the same with TE Sprinkle.

Yeah, that's a knock, but watching him play, I see a guy that is in position on a consistent basis, and I see an athlete with the burst and physicality to close on the ball from FS or SS. He's big, fast, and instinctive. If his academic issues carry over to his life outside football, I'll worry. I haven't checked yet, but I'm not concerned about his football IQ.

A really good safety/hybrid is going to go top of the 2nd, just based on numbers.

If we could snag an LB or DE in the first, a trade up to get a Budda Baker would be a big result.

Hey Fin Thirteen. Really like that scenario....Baker is one of those players who could rise a bit. His lack of height is the only thing that may keep him out of R1.

He may not be for everyone but I really like DE Derek Barnett out of Tennessee. Not saying we will have to trade up for him but he is on my list.

Barnett is insane value for whatever team he falls to after the top two DEs. He's such a ****ing terror.

Given the defensive depth in this draft I would be inclined against trading up.
Just watching these bowl games- I can name 20 defensive studs I would be happy with from a value- need perspective for Miami. We are maybe 5-6 smart decisions away from being a legitimate playoff contender for the next 3-4 years.
Solidify the middle of defense particularly LB, maintain cohesion of skilled players, solidify interior OL.
Draft should be heavy DEF with a sprinkling of OL Rd 2 or 3.

Back
Top Bottom