Trey Hendrickson makes impressive NFL draft case at FAU pro day | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trey Hendrickson makes impressive NFL draft case at FAU pro day

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
newsEngin.18249284_492175988.jpg

Trey Hendrickson #9 of the Florida Atlantic Owls sacks quarterback Driphus Jackson #6 of the Rice Owls causing him to fumble the ball during the third quarter of the game at FAU Stadium on October 10, 2015 in Boca Raton, Florida. (Photo by Rob Foldy/Getty Images) Posted: 5:10 p.m. Thursday, March 30, 2017

BOCA RATON — Dressed in all white with a matching visor, Trey Hendrickson easily could have been mistaken for new Florida Atlantic Owls coach Lane Kiffin.
Once the reigning Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year hit the field for his pro day, however, all that Hendrickson resembled was a future NFL star.
Taking part in FAU’s pro day on Thursday morning, Hendrickson put on a show for the final time in Boca Raton. Rather than displaying the skill that made him one of the nation’s top defensive linemen over the past three years on FAU Stadium’s turf, Hendrickson did his pro-day drills in front of NFL scouts on a field adjacent to the school’s track.

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/spor...raft-case-fau-pro-day/Yb7oePoJ0mAlv7NjXpQyqI/

Big fan of Hendrickson. I had him right on the edge of the 2nd RD, and I think he belongs there. He compares favorably to Shaq Lawson. He should give you something as a rookie, but he should take a significant step forward in year 2. He can be a 10-sack guy.

I've been wondering why some of the big name draftniks have had him rated in the mid-rounds or lower. Is it just lack of length? He checks every other box. Productive, decent size, very athletic. If we didn't get a DE in the first it wouldn't hurt my feelings if we ended up stuck with him in the 2nd. But most have him rated 3rd round to way lower. I doubt the NFL does though. Back of the 3rd is as far as I think he will slip.

3rd round for me

Undervalued bring his lunch pail type likely to outperform his draft status

3rd round for me

Undervalued bring his lunch pail type likely to outperform his draft status

He's a high-motor player, but he's a really good athlete. He's not exceptional in any one area (which - imo - would be preferable), but he performed well in every drill. I mentioned Lawson, but he also has similarities to Ryan Kerrigan. Hendrickson isn't as strong as Kerrigan, but he's more agile than Kerrigan was as a prospect. He needs to improve his strength, and he has plenty of room for growth in his hands, but his athleticism shows up.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the comp is ryan kerrigan but i also think the small school comp is gonna hold him down

Id be very happy with him in the 3rd...id say a top 75 grade is doing him justice...does that make him undervalued it probably does

He does play a premium position and hes a 43 de all the way

Hed be my preference in the 3rd over a daeshon hall or a deatrich wise

I think the comp is ryan kerrigan but i also think the small school comp is gonna hold him down

Id be very happy with him in the 3rd...id say a top 75 grade is doing him justice...does that make him undervalued it probably does

I like both those guys, too :lol: But, I would take him over Wise. I think Wise is going to have a good NFL career, but I agree that I'd take Hendrickson over Wise, because Wise does carry some concerns. Between Hendrickson and Hall, I'd favor Hall. I agree that Hendrickson is a late-2nd/early 3rd. I think Hall is more of an early second. Top-50 player for me.

I agree playing at FAU may push him down boards a tad, but he always seemed to have good games when FAU played stronger competition. Tallied five sacks in games against UF, UM, K State, and Alabama. He didn't fade on the larger stage. Also has a knack for blocking kicks on special teams as a throw in. Blocked 4 his senior year.

Kerrigan and Hendrickson I guess measure out pretty much identically, but I hadn't been tempted to make that comparison. I was a fan of Kerrigan's. I'm a fan of Hendrickson's.

Hendrickson to me plays with far more athleticism, more than his 4.6-whatever forty implies. You can see it in two of the scientific measures that went under the radar at the Combine.

For one, there was the ten yard split at somewhere between 1.59 and 1.62 seconds (I've seen 1.59, 1.60 and 1.62). I think Jordan Willis is legitimately faster in the ten yard than Hendrickson, but the ten yard split pretty perfectly corresponded with what I saw on game film with Hendrickson as well as what I saw in live practices.

Then there was the 60 yard shuttle which Hendrickson did in the 5th fastest time measured for ANY position at the Combine since 2006.

You want a functional measure of football agility AND speed AND endurance...it's in that 60 yard shuttle, which is underrated as a Combine measure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRP84RwIv6Q

The reason I bring all this up is because to me Hendrickson absolutely is a speed story, a speed, agility, pass rusher. He's not a try hard white guy. He's closer to a Cliff Avril than he is a Ryan Kerrigan. He's a speed player.

I watched this kid show up to Shrine practices and dominate. He didn't stand out, he dominated. I don't use that word lightly. I've applied that word to Josh Norman, who came out of nowhere at Coastal Carolina (I'd never watched him) and absolutely dominated the practices. I said at the time he practiced like a 1st round pick. I've seen Kam Chancellor dominate. I've seen Rodger Saffold dominate. I've seen Brandon Brooks dominate those practices. I've seen Greg Hardy dominate those practices. I watched Javon Hargrave dominate them. I've also watched other guys like Mike Daniels, Earl Mitchell, Alterraun Verner, Julius Thomas, Shelley Smith, Ali Villanueva, Jordan Cameron, Terron Armstead, and Devin Taylor stand out in those practices...but not necessarily dominate.

He had 9 sacks, 13 hits and a whopping 56 hurries at FAU this year. He was an animal.

So he dominates at college, he dominates the Shrine practices, dominates the Shrine game itself, then shows up to the Combine and turns in one of the best performances of anyone...all pretty strong evidence in his favor.

I think he's either a poor man's Derek Rivers, or Derek Rivers is a poor man's Trey Hendrickson. It's just going to be in the eye of the beholder. Rivers has different hand placement, keeps his hands inside the frame of the blocker. But I think Hendrickson is more relentless and versatile. They'll both have a tendency to give offenses hell because of their athletic ability. They can just flat out run, and get around blocks. What I see in Hendrickson, something I saw in practice that is corroborated on film, is that he can start to hit a groove where he's using that athletic ability a variety of ways to get into a rhythm, beating blockers and making plays. That's the danger when you're going up against him; when he starts to figure things out and get into a rhythm, it's painful for the other side. He's got every move in the book at his disposal, not afraid to use that variety, and he uses his hands well to keep blockers off his body, freeing himself to use that athleticism to full effect. When he gets into a rhythm building one move off the other, that starts to be real intriguing. He's got the speed, frame, strength, hand use, agility, all of that stuff...to be able to get himself into that rhythm at any time.

Teams are onto him. I've heard from two sources that he has a reputation (among agents) for being a little bit of a headache. That wouldn't phase me though.

I like both those guys, too :lol: But, I would take him over Wise. I think Wise is going to have a good NFL career, but I agree that I'd take Hendrickson over Wise, because Wise does carry some concerns. Between Hendrickson and Hall, I'd favor Hall. I agree that Hendrickson is a late-2nd/early 3rd. I think Hall is more of an early second. Top-50 player for me.

Wise is very leggy which gives teams some pause hall is very straight linish which is another reason for pause...in terms of a pure draft prospect grade i dont hate hendrickson at 54 even...he has more outside shoulder win than demarcus walker...walkers football iq is just top shelf even though his win is kick inside

Effort wise hendrickson will give you everything he has

When i say kerrigan i think its more max effort than it is overall style of play...kerrigan was a bit of an overachiever type in terms of perception i can see that with hendrickson also

And derek rivers to miami is a situational rusher...the run d play is way too suspect

Back
Top Bottom