Trying to make sense of things hours after the Fisher ordeal

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Hayden Fox, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

I am still trying to wrap my head around what has transpired over the past few hours. Here are a few thoughts I have and want to get out there...

1. I am blown away that if Ross wanted a big time coach, he would not have given up the control necessary to appease Fisher. I am shocked that the likes of Jeff Ireland kept him from the coach he wanted.

2. I do not believe spins coming from Davie and Mr. Ross.

3. Reading past posts of people defending Ireland are funny today.

4. It is obvious that as a Fin Fan, Ireland IS the boss of this team...must learn to live with it.

Where do we go from here...
    * I would have been pleased with Fisher...I wanted Billick...not happening.

** With that being said, I have been pleased with the interviews so far and I am interested in some other names. Chud, Mike McCoy, and Mike Pettine I would interview. Maybe Mike Sherman as vet coach should get a look.

*** I COULD be happy with Joe Philbin, Todd Bowles or one of the names from above. I would be just as excited for Mike Zimmer as I would for Fisher or Billick. So while I think the Fins have butchered two straight coaching searches, they still can end up with a good coach. MAYBE, we can like the Falcons from 2008 and get the "sloppy seconds" and end up with a great organization....

**** HOWEVER, I am TERRIFIED of who they might pick. I am hearing names that not only disappoint me, but make me disinterested...Dave Toub, Kevin Gilbride, Jim Haslett...holy cow.

I truly feel that their football compass is incapable of making smart football decisions.

2. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Of who they have interviewed so far, my list in order of favorite to least favorite is:

1. Toub
    2. Zimmer
    3. Philbin
    4. Bowles

3. Hayden Fox

Nubs...I know I get **** for overreacting. However, I am seriously nervous who they will pick. I have such a bad feeling.

All I want is HOPE. Give me HOPE.

4. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Smoking Hole at the Hard Rock Moderator Finheaven VIP

patience is the key. fisher would have been a rash decision, hurried and sloppy. for once , we need to evaluate everybody and then make a decision. i mean cmon look who we are up against the bucs and raiders. this time next year when we look back at all the new coaches, i have confidence that we will have made the best choice.

5. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator Finheaven VIP

Josh I would put Chud in there as well.

6. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

Hayden first and foremost take a deep breath

2nd, the only new names that multiple sources have confirmed Miami has expressed interest in are Chud and McCoy. You can probably add a few of CK's people he's said.

3rd, and this goes to everybody, NOT EVERYTHING POSTED AS NEWS IS FACT. This got a few people in trouble last year with the Harbaugh situation posting that it was a sure thing that Sparano was fired. Most of the crap posted on this board in the last week was really a bunch of non news

4th, Kevin Gilbride and Jim Haslett are not getting interviews. So don't worry about it

5th, I'm still gonna slap some sense into you for even considering Billick a good option.

6.All we know is that Cowher and Gruden both turned down MULTIPLE teams this offseason to coach so they weren't options. Those are the ONLY 2 candidates I would consider giving power to.

And in all seriousness, AGAIN, BE OPEN MINDED. Some great coaches really came out of nowhere. Let's look at some of the top coaches in the NFL
    Andy Reid-NEVER a coordinator at any level
    Sean Payton- Was only an OC for Jim Fassell's Giants for 2 seasons but was stripped of playing calling duties after just over a season
    John Harbaugh- ST and secondary coach most of his career
    Mike Tomlin- ONE year as a DC with mediocre success. LONG time DB coach
    Mike McCarthey- Worst ranked offense in the league as OC when Packers hired him

you think any of these fanbases were excited by these hirings? In contrast Viking fans were ecstatic to get Brad Childress, Ram fans loved getting Spags, before getting Jimmy Harbaugh 9er fans thought Singletary would clean up Mike Nolan's mess (and they loved getting Nolan when it happened), Redskin fans were happy both with Joe Gibbs coming out of retirement and getting Mike Shannahan. Cowboy fans were excited to get Parcells.

Be open minded, and look at not only who we get as a HC but what type of staff they put together.

7. hoops

hoops exited stage left

you should be worried...be very worried...no wonder fish is the only big name that we brought in for an interview...the rest of them probably heard if you come here you're getting jammed jeff ireland and hung up...

8. ohall

ohall A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

Yes because the last TWO times we did that it worked out so well.

I'm all for having the coach, coach and the GM, GM. Today's NFL is too complicated for one man to do it all IMO.

9. Myles Fynch

Myles Fynch durka durka

I'm not bothered by losing Fisher. But he would have been more competent than we've had in a long time, so there was hope in that. Looking forward to seeing some new names added to the list this week.

10. Hayden Fox

I will not get off the Brian Billick Train. I can support other candidates and be fired up for them, but Billick is what this team needs now...and he will not get a chance because of the owner. Unreal.

11. trojanma

trojanma FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Chambers,
    Not that I disagree with you. Both Tomlin and Harbaugh went to very strong organizations with top notch GM's and a lot of the puzzle pieces already in place.
    The GB team that McCarthy inherited also had what is now considered an elite organizational structure and prior to the season Sherman was fired had 5 straight winning seasons.

That being said I believe that Taub is probably the best candidate right now(assuming that all the testimonials are correct)
    Philbin would have been intriguing but is likely non option right now.
    Zimmer seasms reasonable but I would prefer an offensive minded coach.

The more I read about Billick the less I like him as a candidate. He posted mediocre records with an elite roster. Truthfully John Harbaugh did much more with a rookie quarterback and an aging defense than Billick ever did.

Regarding the spins coming from the Dolphins camp vs. Fisher about power sharing. No one will ever know the truth. We don't know if Fisher finally got the out clause in the Rams contract like he was hoping or never got the power sharing like he needed from Miami. Bottom line is he chose St. Louis the place that everyone assumed he was going in the first place.

If Taub is the candidate it is going to require a lot of patience on the fan base.

12. josekareh

josekareh Finfansince75

Most coaches say Chud is not ready just yet!!

13. Jersey DolFan

Jersey DolFan Banned Hammered

all i want to make sense of us dolphinbryan. he came in and out like a whirwind.

14. Jersey DolFan

Jersey DolFan Banned Hammered

i honestly think toub may be the best choice - he seems like a guy on the cusp of being a known HC, we did interview him second right?

Bowles too. sometimes the guy right under your nose is the best guy.

15. ChambersWI

fair enough point on Tomlin and Harbaugh but both have loaded up rosters that were aging and added some good young pieces. Green Bay has become an elite organization, but look how many of those players were guys that were drafted after McCarthey became head coach; AJ Hawk, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, Desmond Bishop, Mason Crosby, BJ Raji, Clay Matthews, TJ Lang, Jermichael Finley, Morgan Burnett, James Starks, Ryan Grant, Tramon Williams, John Kuhn, and Josh Sitton are all guys who were brought in AFTER Mike McCarthy became head coach.

Before McCarthy took over, they were an aging team with not much young talent and an unknown backup by the name of Aaron Rodgers. Mike Sherman was a GM and HC for most of the time, and his decision making was really starting to take it's toll on the Packers. The Packers just hit gold with Ted Thompson

My point is that when these guys got hired they weren't seen as the most qualified. I don't care how well an organization is run, if you don't have a competent head coach, you aren't having success.

16. hoops

hoops exited stage left

mccarthys where he is now because of the qb position and the gm...who's done nothing but give him gems to work with...

you can get away with an average head coach even probably if you have a true top level franchise qb...we don't have either...the coach or the qb...

17. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

I have pretty much taken my mind off this franchise for now. I have been following the twists and turns of the Fisher saga all week and frankly I am still disgusted and tired 8 hours after hearing his decision. Right now I have zero faith in Ross because of his blind faith in Ireland. It wouldn't surprise me if they promoted Tony Sparano JR to head coach.
    I am hoping for the best.
    To keep my mind off of this..and as a distraction...I watched some lingerie football. The uniform malfunctions are quite entertaining!

18. Hayden Fox

I am shocked that Dave Toub has so much support around here. I think they have interviewed much better candidates.

19. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

Well Harbough was a special teams coach...I am sure that is their mindset.

20. Phantom

Phantom Phantom Donator

Looks like we are not getting a big name coach as promised, what it looks like we are getting is another, i hope he can be a good head coach. After a decade of incompetence and two failed attempts of the coach they outright targeted, i have zero confidence they will get it right. I hope to God they do. Whether you like Fisher or not, they targeted him as the next coach and failed to get him, and if it was because of Jeff friggin Ireland, thats pathetic. It's time to pray to the football Gods to help these fools find their hands in the dark, because they can't. Goes to show that being a business man and having multi millions of dollars only helps you buy a team, not run it. Signed: Sick and Freaking Tired.

PS. Mr. Ross, maybe you should just shut up about what your going to do, and who you are going to get, because you look like a fool.

21. BassFin

BassFin Starter

Hayden, I agree with your posts 90% of the time but I think you are getting worried for nothing. They are doing the right thing and interviewing a lot of interesting candidates. I would still like to see Winston Moss and Chud get an interview. I think their only issue with thise guys is the quality of staff they can put together (although I don't think Moss would have a problem). As for not giving a coach total power; I have to agree with that. It just never works. I know you don't like Ireland but firing him and starting over again would just set this team back 5 years. And I don't know about you but when I look at this roster from top to bottom, I don't think they need to blow it up. There IS talent. They just need a few more pieces and a coach to lead them.

Let's just get a coach who's hungry and ready to take the next step. I agree with you on Zimmer. I would like him to be the guy right now. And the good thing about him is we could keep Daboll whom I think did a great job last year. But you should really do some reading about and look up some videos of Toub. You'll be impressed. The man sounds and looks like a coach. And I understand your like of Billick, but he hasn't been interviewed by ANY team since he was fired so maytake that next step.be there's something more to it than just a personal rift between him and Ross.

I think it'll be a couple of weeks before a decision is made so stay away from any ledges and enjoy the process.

22. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I personally cant see how anyone would prefer Toub over Zimmer but oh well I guess somebody might have a reason.
    Zimmer has been a high level coordinator since 2000 had excellent defenses with Dallas and Cinncy , survived coaching change after coaching change in Dallas. Defensive backs coach before that. Toub is basically a lifetime special teams coordinator and coach. I see Zimmer's history of success in a higher level position than Toub over a longer period and I just cant see Toub as a better canidate.

23. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Im pretty sure that comes into it but still we are the only club interviewing a special teams coach for head coach. There is a reason that teams dont interview special teams coaches and thats because they feel its of lower level of a job than an offensive or defensive coordinator of which they are correct. if the jobs were considered all equal then special teams coordinators would not make much less money on whole

24. zodiak

zodiak Starter

Chamberswi

You mentioned chud and McCoy as new interviews plus some of Co's guys I can't find anything with Co's
    List could you give a rundown on who those guys are?

I've been an advocate of Carmichael Jr or Chudzinski but from the initial list
    of interviews nothing to indicate they are thinging that way

25. Finfanforever

Finfanforever Finfanforever

Hayden,

Look the only way to get out of this funk is get an offensive-minded coach (Chud), have a fanatastic draft, have a great FA period, and start the season...and WIN! There it is folks...the only way! I just wish i could as a fan trust Ireland to do the right thing. Our draft last year was good...but he could have done so much better. I just can't look when these clowns finally roll out a new coach.

26. Hayden Fox

Can I be honest? I think you and I and most of the posters here have an idea of who should lead the team better than Stephen Ross. I think he lives in a bizarro world of football and is dishonest with the media and fans. I pray that somehow he ends up with a good choice and the path to success can be built. I DON'T TRUST Stephen Ross.

27. ohall

ohall A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

I can honestly say this whole thing about trusting a owner smacks of naivete. But I'm curious, just exactly what did he lie about? If you are going to mention the Harbaugh thing, then yes my naivete comment rings true.

We are lied to by Sports figures all day every day, I'm shocked this is news to anyone.

28. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

One name I read on Friday night that is RUMORED, I stress this word, to be on the list of interviews is Chuck Pagano, the DC with the Ravens. I have followed this guy since his DC days at the University of North Carolina. He is intriging because when he was at UNC, he build a great defense that was attacking and dominating. Then he gets the call to the Ravens to be their DB's coach. Then he gets elivated to DC when Ryan went to the Jets. Pagano has built tough, agressive defenses in both places. Yes the Ravens were good when he got there but had slipped some under Ryan. When Pagano took over their defense became dominating again.

I have read many times that how players really respect Pagano and love his leadership skills. I for one want him to interview in Miami. He might be the sleeping giant coach Miami needs.

29. BassFin

BassFin Starter

I actually think Ross is the biggest hinderance to this team becoming successful. He's so concerned about looking cool that it's a turnoff to the people who love football. He's got so much sideshow BS going on that he's turned this team into a gimmick. But I have to give him credit for not giving in to Fisher and letting him have total control (if that's even true). But what I'd give to have Huizenga back!

30. ChambersWI

CK has speculated Chuck Pagano (Ravens DC), Vic Fangio (9ers DC), Reck Dennison (Texans OC). I wanna say that there is one more name on there, but I forget off the top of my head

31. showstopper

showstopper Starter

The one thing we aren't considering is that we're not in that interview room, only a handful of people are. Supposedly Toub knocked it out of the ball park in his first interview so that is the biggest part of this evaluation.