Trying to make sense of things hours after the Fisher ordeal | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trying to make sense of things hours after the Fisher ordeal

Hayden Fox

Is it Sunday yet?
Club Member
Reaction score
I am still trying to wrap my head around what has transpired over the past few hours. Here are a few thoughts I have and want to get out there...

1. I am blown away that if Ross wanted a big time coach, he would not have given up the control necessary to appease Fisher. I am shocked that the likes of Jeff Ireland kept him from the coach he wanted.

2. I do not believe spins coming from Davie and Mr. Ross.

3. Reading past posts of people defending Ireland are funny today.

4. It is obvious that as a Fin Fan, Ireland IS the boss of this team...must learn to live with it.

Where do we go from here...
* I would have been pleased with Fisher...I wanted Billick...not happening.

** With that being said, I have been pleased with the interviews so far and I am interested in some other names. Chud, Mike McCoy, and Mike Pettine I would interview. Maybe Mike Sherman as vet coach should get a look.

*** I COULD be happy with Joe Philbin, Todd Bowles or one of the names from above. I would be just as excited for Mike Zimmer as I would for Fisher or Billick. So while I think the Fins have butchered two straight coaching searches, they still can end up with a good coach. MAYBE, we can like the Falcons from 2008 and get the "sloppy seconds" and end up with a great organization....

**** HOWEVER, I am TERRIFIED of who they might pick. I am hearing names that not only disappoint me, but make me disinterested...Dave Toub, Kevin Gilbride, Jim Haslett...holy cow.

I truly feel that their football compass is incapable of making smart football decisions.

Of who they have interviewed so far, my list in order of favorite to least favorite is:

1. Toub
2. Zimmer
3. Philbin
4. Bowles

Of who they have interviewed so far, my list in order of favorite to least favorite is:

1. Toub
2. Zimmer
3. Philbin
4. Bowles

Nubs...I know I get **** for overreacting. However, I am seriously nervous who they will pick. I have such a bad feeling.

All I want is HOPE. Give me HOPE.

patience is the key. fisher would have been a rash decision, hurried and sloppy. for once , we need to evaluate everybody and then make a decision. i mean cmon look who we are up against the bucs and raiders. this time next year when we look back at all the new coaches, i have confidence that we will have made the best choice.

I am still trying to wrap my head around what has transpired over the past few hours. Here are a few thoughts I have and want to get out there...

1. I am blown away that if Ross wanted a big time coach, he would not have given up the control necessary to appease Fisher. I am shocked that the likes of Jeff Ireland kept him from the coach he wanted.

4. It is obvious that as a Fin Fan, Ireland IS the boss of this team...must learn to live with it.

** With that being said, I have been pleased with the interviews so far and I am interested in some other names. Chud, Mike McCoy, and Mike Pettine I would interview. Maybe Mike Sherman as vet coach should get a look.

*** I COULD be happy with Joe Philbin, Todd Bowles or one of the names from above. I would be just as excited for Mike Zimmer as I would for Fisher or Billick. So while I think the Fins have butchered two straight coaching searches, they still can end up with a good coach. MAYBE, we can like the Falcons from 2008 and get the "sloppy seconds" and end up with a great organization....

**** HOWEVER, I am TERRIFIED of who they might pick. I am hearing names that not only disappoint me, but make me disinterested...Dave Toub, Kevin Gilbride, Jim Haslett...holy cow.

I truly feel that their football compass is incapable of making smart football decisions.

Hayden first and foremost take a deep breath

2nd, the only new names that multiple sources have confirmed Miami has expressed interest in are Chud and McCoy. You can probably add a few of CK's people he's said.

3rd, and this goes to everybody, NOT EVERYTHING POSTED AS NEWS IS FACT. This got a few people in trouble last year with the Harbaugh situation posting that it was a sure thing that Sparano was fired. Most of the crap posted on this board in the last week was really a bunch of non news

4th, Kevin Gilbride and Jim Haslett are not getting interviews. So don't worry about it

5th, I'm still gonna slap some sense into you for even considering Billick a good option.

6.All we know is that Cowher and Gruden both turned down MULTIPLE teams this offseason to coach so they weren't options. Those are the ONLY 2 candidates I would consider giving power to.

And in all seriousness, AGAIN, BE OPEN MINDED. Some great coaches really came out of nowhere. Let's look at some of the top coaches in the NFL
Andy Reid-NEVER a coordinator at any level
Sean Payton- Was only an OC for Jim Fassell's Giants for 2 seasons but was stripped of playing calling duties after just over a season
John Harbaugh- ST and secondary coach most of his career
Mike Tomlin- ONE year as a DC with mediocre success. LONG time DB coach
Mike McCarthey- Worst ranked offense in the league as OC when Packers hired him

you think any of these fanbases were excited by these hirings? In contrast Viking fans were ecstatic to get Brad Childress, Ram fans loved getting Spags, before getting Jimmy Harbaugh 9er fans thought Singletary would clean up Mike Nolan's mess (and they loved getting Nolan when it happened), Redskin fans were happy both with Joe Gibbs coming out of retirement and getting Mike Shannahan. Cowboy fans were excited to get Parcells.

Be open minded, and look at not only who we get as a HC but what type of staff they put together.

you should be worried...be very worried...no wonder fish is the only big name that we brought in for an interview...the rest of them probably heard if you come here you're getting jammed jeff ireland and hung up...

Yes because the last TWO times we did that it worked out so well.

I'm all for having the coach, coach and the GM, GM. Today's NFL is too complicated for one man to do it all IMO.

I'm not bothered by losing Fisher. But he would have been more competent than we've had in a long time, so there was hope in that. Looking forward to seeing some new names added to the list this week.

I will not get off the Brian Billick Train. I can support other candidates and be fired up for them, but Billick is what this team needs now...and he will not get a chance because of the owner. Unreal.

Hayden first and foremost take a deep breath

And in all seriousness, AGAIN, BE OPEN MINDED. Some great coaches really came out of nowhere. Let's look at some of the top coaches in the NFL
Andy Reid-NEVER a coordinator at any level
Sean Payton- Was only an OC for Jim Fassell's Giants for 2 seasons but was stripped of playing calling duties after just over a season
John Harbaugh- ST and secondary coach most of his career
Mike Tomlin- ONE year as a DC with mediocre success. LONG time DB coach
Mike McCarthey- Worst ranked offense in the league as OC when Packers hired him

you think any of these fanbases were excited by these hirings? In contrast Viking fans were ecstatic to get Brad Childress, Ram fans loved getting Spags, before getting Jimmy Harbaugh 9er fans thought Singletary would clean up Mike Nolan's mess (and they loved getting Nolan when it happened), Redskin fans were happy both with Joe Gibbs coming out of retirement and getting Mike Shannahan. Cowboy fans were excited to get Parcells.

Be open minded, and look at not only who we get as a HC but what type of staff they put together.

Chambers,
Not that I disagree with you. Both Tomlin and Harbaugh went to very strong organizations with top notch GM's and a lot of the puzzle pieces already in place.
The GB team that McCarthy inherited also had what is now considered an elite organizational structure and prior to the season Sherman was fired had 5 straight winning seasons.

That being said I believe that Taub is probably the best candidate right now(assuming that all the testimonials are correct)
Philbin would have been intriguing but is likely non option right now.
Zimmer seasms reasonable but I would prefer an offensive minded coach.

The more I read about Billick the less I like him as a candidate. He posted mediocre records with an elite roster. Truthfully John Harbaugh did much more with a rookie quarterback and an aging defense than Billick ever did.

Regarding the spins coming from the Dolphins camp vs. Fisher about power sharing. No one will ever know the truth. We don't know if Fisher finally got the out clause in the Rams contract like he was hoping or never got the power sharing like he needed from Miami. Bottom line is he chose St. Louis the place that everyone assumed he was going in the first place.

If Taub is the candidate it is going to require a lot of patience on the fan base.

all i want to make sense of us dolphinbryan. he came in and out like a whirwind.

i honestly think toub may be the best choice - he seems like a guy on the cusp of being a known HC, we did interview him second right?

Bowles too. sometimes the guy right under your nose is the best guy.

Chambers,
Not that I disagree with you. Both Tomlin and Harbaugh went to very strong organizations with top notch GM's and a lot of the puzzle pieces already in place.
The GB team that McCarthy inherited also had what is now considered an elite organizational structure and prior to the season Sherman was fired had 5 straight winning seasons.

That being said I believe that Taub is probably the best candidate right now(assuming that all the testimonials are correct)
Philbin would have been intriguing but is likely non option right now.
Zimmer seasms reasonable but I would prefer an offensive minded coach.

The more I read about Billick the less I like him as a candidate. He posted mediocre records with an elite roster. Truthfully John Harbaugh did much more with a rookie quarterback and an aging defense than Billick ever did.

Regarding the spins coming from the Dolphins camp vs. Fisher about power sharing. No one will ever know the truth. We don't know if Fisher finally got the out clause in the Rams contract like he was hoping or never got the power sharing like he needed from Miami. Bottom line is he chose St. Louis the place that everyone assumed he was going in the first place.

The bottom line is that a candidate like Taub is going to require a lot of patience on the fan base.

fair enough point on Tomlin and Harbaugh but both have loaded up rosters that were aging and added some good young pieces. Green Bay has become an elite organization, but look how many of those players were guys that were drafted after McCarthey became head coach; AJ Hawk, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, Desmond Bishop, Mason Crosby, BJ Raji, Clay Matthews, TJ Lang, Jermichael Finley, Morgan Burnett, James Starks, Ryan Grant, Tramon Williams, John Kuhn, and Josh Sitton are all guys who were brought in AFTER Mike McCarthy became head coach.

Before McCarthy took over, they were an aging team with not much young talent and an unknown backup by the name of Aaron Rodgers. Mike Sherman was a GM and HC for most of the time, and his decision making was really starting to take it's toll on the Packers. The Packers just hit gold with Ted Thompson

My point is that when these guys got hired they weren't seen as the most qualified. I don't care how well an organization is run, if you don't have a competent head coach, you aren't having success.

Back
Top Bottom