Two Fantasy Drafts in the Books (one Snake, one Auction)

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by j-off-her-doll, Aug 29, 2016.

1. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I only have time for two leagues at the moment. I completed the Snake on Saturday and the Auction last night (Sunday - for future readers). Both are 12-team leagues. The Snake is also a Keeper (Gurley, RD 7).

Snake Keeper

QB: Aaron Rodgers
    QB: Eli Manning

RB: Todd Gurley
    RB: Duke Johnson
    RB: Giovani Bernard
    RB: Derrick Henry
    RB: Christine Michael

WR: Mike Evans
    WR: Amari Cooper
    WR: Jarvis Landry
    WR: Tavon Austin
    WR: Mohamed Sanu

TE: Jared Cook

K: Adam Vinatieri

D: Pittsburgh Steelers

Auction

QB: Tom Brady
    QB: Eli Manning

RB: TJ Yeldon
    RB: Duke Johnson
    RB: Isaiah Crowell
    RB: Danny Woodhead
    RB: Charles Sims
    RB: Christine Michael
    RB: Melvin Gordon

WR: DeAndre Hopkins
    WR: Demaryius Thomas
    WR: Randall Cobb
    WR: Larry Fitzgerald

TE: Jordan Reed

K: Stephen Gostkowski

D: Denver Broncos

---

This will be my 3rd year in the Snake Keeper league. I won in 2014/2105, and I finished in 6th place last year.

This will be my 7th year in the Auction league; however, it's only the 3rd year that we've been using Auction instead of Snake. I won in 2014/2015, and I lost in the finals last year. Time permitting, I'll add some updates and highlights, but I'm very happy with each draft.

A quick note: In my Auction league, I wanted to draft one of Rodgers, Wilson, or Luck, but they each went for over $25, and Jordan Reed was an unexpected expense, so when I was able to land Brady for $7, I budgeted $13 for Manning (would have also considered Cousins, but he has the same Bye as Brady), but he was nominated later in the draft, so I was able to get him for $5.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2016
  2. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

What are your keeper rules?

3. j-off-her-doll

Super basic. You get one Keeper, and you lose the pick in the round that the player was drafted last year. I would have kept Antonio Brown if not for the six-round disparity.

4. Gonzo

Was going to say that you have a lot of keeper potential on there. Your picks reminded me how much I hate RBs this year. I have trouble thinking of a single situation I like. Even Gurley has question marks given the question marks with the rest of that offense and he's arguably the best fantasy (and maybe real life) RB option in the league. Love the WRs. I think Evans is going to take it to the next level as Winston becomes more comfortable in the pro game (I grabbed Winston in my keeper as backup). Landry will probably continue to be Tannehill's security blanket and Cooper will only be better.

I finally gave up on hoping Jared Cook would break out, but if he's going to do it, GB is the place. I went with Marriota's security blanket instead.

5. j-off-her-doll

Yeah, I'm not too optimistic about Cook. I had the 11th pick, so the gaps between picks/my draft plan saw me shopping in the bargain bin for TE. Good athlete, and maybe Rodgers gets him going.

In general, I like WR early. The rankings and prices caught up this year, but I was able to get Hopkins for $51. RB's just carry too much injury risk, and their production is too easily replicated by replacements (relative to WR).

6. Gonzo

I haven't tried Auction yet, but makes sense. I tried a variation of the Zero RB strategy in my money keeper league. I've been spoiled because I was able to keep Antonio Brown and Gronk for 2 years (plus drafted year). Our keeper rules:

Any 3 players drafted after Round 4 (changed it to Round 5 this year). You can only keep them for that year plus 2 years.

This year, not so lucky, so I went heavy on WR:

QB: Phillip Rivers
    QB: Jameis Winston

RB: Mark Ingram
    RB: Frank Gore
    RB: Jeremy Langford
    RB: Arian Foster
    RB: LeGarrette Blount

WR: DeAndre Hopkins
    WR: Brandin Cooks
    WR: Sammy Watkins
    WR: Doug Baldwin
    WR: Michael Crabtree
    WR: Kamar Aiken
    WR: Devin Funchess
    WR: Tyler Boyd

TE: Delanie Walker

K: Chandler Catanzaro

DST: Cincinnati Bengals

7. Amish Pirate

Amish Pirate Well-Known Member

If that is a 12 team league you hit it out of the park.

8. Gonzo

Thanks! 12 team. Sucked losing Gronk and Brown, but I landed Brown around the same spot I picked up Boyd right before he blew up. 3rd-to-last pick. Long shot, but what the hell. :idk:

9. Gonzo

I should also point out that I play with a bunch of Cowboys nerds. Dak Attack went a couple of rounds before I picked Rivers... (then they had the audacity to call me a home.r for picking Foster in the 12th, if I remember correctly :lol: )

10. susser2000

susser2000 A True Fan

I've got a very similar team. We have a 12 team (I picked 12th) and you only have to start one RB and have two Flex spots, so I went WR heavy and ended with:

QB Blake Bortles
    QB Andy Dalton

RB Arian Foster
    RB Charles Sims
    RB Danny Woodhead
    RB Chris Thompson

WR Deandre Hopkins
    WR Dez Bryant
    WR Sammy Watkins
    WR Demaryous Thomas
    WR Allen Hurns
    WR Phillip Dorsett

TE Dwayne Allen

K. Justin Tucker

DEF Vikings

11. j-off-her-doll

That's a good looking squad. Winston should take a big steo forward, and your WR's are very strong, which - imo - is the most critical position to establish. I made a strong bid for Baldwin, but he was priced just out of range. I drafted Foster in a bunch of mocks, but there are at least three other Miami fans in my Auction league, and he went for somewhere between $15-$20.

I noted that J. Reed was unexpected. Didn't take him in any mocks, but at $22, I felt he was worth the gamble. He had the highest points per route of any TE last season.

12. j-off-her-doll

Forgot to say, I think you all would really enjoy the Auction format. It requires a little more planning, but it makes every player available to you, and it leads to completely different strategies. Some people spend most of their $200 on two players. For example, in my league, someone spent $72 on A. Brown and $54 on A. Peterson. After grabbing K. Allen for $34, he had $40 to fill up the 13 roster spots. As a result, he has 4 players who are owned in 30% or fewer leagues and another owned in 50% or fewer. On my team, C. Michael is my least-owned player, at 50%. The next lowest is I. Crowell at 69%.

The biggest downside to the Auction format is that it's really hard to find legit mocks, because auto picks really ruin the format. So, you have to take preparation with a grain of salt, and it helps to have a flexible plan. I was hesitant to try Auction, but I'm going to try to convince my Snake league to move to Auction next year. It's just WAY better.

13. Gonzo

I've been meaning to try it, but I barely have time for the couple of leagues I'm in already and the Anything Goes guys are way too dumb to understand it.

14. j-off-her-doll

:lol: I feel your pain with the time crunch. Life just doesn't make enough time for football.

15. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

:lol:

16. j-off-her-doll

Christine Michael is getting the start. I hope Miami surprises me by shutting down Michael, but I'm definitely starting him Sunday.

17. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Finheaven VIP Donator

I stacked Chistine Micheal with Tannehill and Jordan Cameron on a couple of lineups today. Huge upside although I hope a different lineup takes off obviously...

18. j-off-her-doll

Yeah, I'd be stoked to see Miami shut down the run game and win in Seattle, but I think both are unlikely, and if Miami does lose, I hope Michael runs for 300 yards and 5 TD's, at least :lol:

19. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Finheaven VIP Donator

Hah! Yeah that would probably mean 25K coming my way lol!

20. j-off-her-doll

Week 1 Starting Lineups:

Snake:

QB: A Rodgers
    RB: T Gurley
    RB: C. Michael
    WR: M. Evans
    WR: A. Cooper
    TE: J. Cook
    F: J. Landry

K: A. Vinatieri
    D: Pittsburgh

Auction:

QB: E. Manning
    RB: T. Yeldon
    RB: C. Michael
    WR: D. Hopkins
    WR: D. Thomas
    TE: J. Reed
    F: R. Cobb

K: S. Gostkowski
    D: Denver Broncos

21. j-off-her-doll

Nice problem to have in the auction league, though Hopkins and Vinatieri's poor days kept me from leading the league in scoring this week, Gordon, Crowell, and Michael are putting up good numbers, and Fitz, Hopkins, and D. Thomas are tough to sit. Getting Brady back (dropped Manning for Cousins this week) should put me in a good spot to make a run at the playoffs. Imo, building strong depth is the only way to ensure that you're in a position to compete every year. Relying on a handful of players might work out once every three years, but the playoffs are always a crap shoot, so even if you land the highest scoring team, there's a good chance you don't win your league. To use a baseball analogy, it's better to aim for a lot of doubles than a few HR's. If you make solid contact consistently, you'll get a few HR's anyway.