Two Round Mock from NFL & Hickey's Potential Problem

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by So Be, Apr 17, 2014.

1. So Be

So Be A True Fan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...aft-50-jadeveon-clowney-aj-mccarron-to-texans

Here's a 2 round mock from Brooks at NFL. He has Miami taking Martin and ILB Borland in the second.

He has OT's Robinson, Matthews, and Lewan gone. Then, he has Su'a-Filo, Moses, Adn Kouandjio going late 1st, and Bitonio top of the second.

No one has any idea how this draft will shake out in the first two rounds. However, after looking at a number of mocks, the consensus is that there is not going to be a good guy on the OL available with our pick in the 2nd, where I thought there would be. This would be a big problem for Hickey if Miami sees the same happening.

He is likely going to have to make a tuff choice on what to do with #19, and if Martin is also projected to not be there, chances are he will have to make a move, a reach or, have a backup plan for an OT after the draft.

What would you do?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
  2. PHINSfan

PHINSfan FinHeaven VIP

If there is an opportunity to do so; I would like to trade into the latter part of the draft, with a team like the 49rs for example. Doing so will give us a better chance to pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd Rnd, and thus increasing our chances to find 2 OL players that can contribute early. I like this scenario specially if Martin is not there when we pick.

3. MRojas4

MRojas4 The Cheese Connoisseur Finheaven VIP

Martin and Borland? I'll take it.

3rd Round, Target RT (plenty to choose from)

Cameron Flemming
    JaWuan James
    Jack Mewhort

LT - Albert
    LG - Z. Martin
    C - Pouncey
    RG - Shelley
    RT - Flemming/James/Mewhort

Garner/Brenner/D. Thomas/Fox

Not bad.

4. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

A few things
    * I have said for weeks now that Morgan Moses IS a 1st round pick
    * If the draft fell the way Brooks states, Miami gets two solid, high character and productive kids
    * If the draft went this way, I would think long and hard about Shazier at 19 and James at 50....I think Martin goes before the Fins pick. Plus, Martin will be okay at tackle, but a stud inside.

5. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I would like to do the same IF we do not see a play maker at #19. I just don't see anyone willing to trade up, in a deep draft, for a player we would not want to have.

6. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I would take that as well but, cannot see a 3rd rounder coming in to start at RT. I could see one developing for a year. That wold mean adding a vet for a year's band aid.

7. So Be

So Be A True Fan

My biggest problem with Martin is, as you say, that he would be OK at RT. For me that is not good enough at #19, a and OG's are much easier to fill in with vets. JMO

8. MRojas4

True,

I'm assuming you let Fox, (Rookie Pick of Flemming/James/Mewhort), and Garner? Battle for RT?

Maybe bring in McKinnie?

9. So Be

So Be A True Fan

No, I would easily bring back Clabo over McKennie but, hope a better option comes available from cuts after the draft.

10. FSU Truth

FSU Truth The North Remembers Finheaven VIP

This draft is at least 3 maybe 4 rounds deep with potential starters on the line....

11. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

I would take Landry in the second but would be OK with the LB too. I think we probably need to take o-line in the first, and I get the whole argument that playmakers are much more valuable but some of the same people making that argument also say its playoffs or bust for Philbin, so if you're going to put a one year ultimatum on the coach and maybe even the GM then they would be foolish to not take a nice safe plug and play cornfed that can help out on day one. If they shock us all and don't select at least one cornfed in the first 2 rounds then they've got some big ****ing balls, I'll say that.

12. Phinsfan93

Phinsfan93 A True Fan

Shhh... Any O-Lineman outside of the 1st round can't start.

13. mnphinfan

mnphinfan Lifelong Fin Fan

I think something that is a definite possibility if a top QB slides is the Fins being able to trade down because of the Cardinals having the #20 pick. Sure they could use help at LB but if one of the top QB's slides to them, they could easily take a QB and let him sit behind Palmer for a year, who will be 35 this season. Then next year when the 2nd year QB is ready to take the reigns the Cardinals could release him with only a $2 million dollar cap hit for 2015 and save $10 million against the cap instead of paying him his $12 million dollar salary.

They are going to need to clear some salary by 2015 because Fitzgerald's cap hit is $23.6 million, with $14.4 million being an automatic cap hit if he is released, Calais Cambell will also have a cap hit of $14.7 million, with a $11 million dollar cap hit if he is released, Patrick Peterson will also need to be resigned as well for more than likely top 5 CB money. That's a ton of coin going out the window for 3 players and having a QB with a relatively low cap hit would be a god send to the Cardinals.

Which is why I think that the Fins sitting at #19 is a perfect spot to trade down with a team who wants a QB but doesn't want to take the chance for the Cards to beat them to the punch.

14. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

I could live with that though prefer Morris (Iowa0 for ILB.

I fully expect the stealers to go CB or DL. Nobody knows what the Cowboys will do esp Jerruh. I saw a mock where the Rams take Roby at 13; the resulting chaos may allow Martin to drop to 19.

Shazier @ 19 IMO is a bit early. Hopefully, Philly or SF get anxious for Brandin Cooks and trade with Miami. Su'a-Filo & Shazier should both be on the board in the bottom third of round 1

15. MRojas4

Personally I'm more concerned with Arizona trading ahead of us to take Martin or whatever top tier OT/OG available.

16. MRojas4

Seen some mocks with Saints trading with Miami for Cooks in order to jump ahead of the Eagles.

Saints get 1st (19)

Miami get 1st (27), 2nd (58)

17. 123phins

123phins Well-Known Member

I take Martin, Su'a Filo, or Moses at #19. If Martin is gone i would try to trade down to get one of the others if possible. Second round go with either a Guard or Tackle(whichever you don't get in the first) or get Borland if he is still out there at #50. Third round go after the RB they want in West, Freeman, or who ever they are interested in because i only see limited backs going before that.

18. mnphinfan

Definite possibility as well. Which would hopefully force the Fins to pick either a S, LB, TE or WR (based on BPA) if they don't trade down.

19. MercMan

MercMan Needs more cowbell Finheaven VIP Donator

BPA. BPA. BPA. Don't be an Ireland.

20. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

I'm with mercman, bpa. You get a player that is the best at his position and it can really change your whole team. You don't pass on a possible superstar at any position to fill a hole unless you already have one at that position. We shall see in a couple weeks I suppose.

Sent from my *** using Tapatalk

21. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

If linemen are plug and play, we wouldn't have had the **** storm we had last year.

And how anyone could still advocate a Clabo or McKinnie return is beyond me.
    Kinda shakes whatever credibility a person might have around these parts.
    But hey, this fanbase is schizo on so many levels.

22. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

First round linemen are typically ready to play right away, not saying all linemen are plug and play.

23. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Good post. I'm wondering what we could get in return, as it would take us out of the first round as a likely trade partner would have already picked. I'm thinking it would start with a high 2nd round pick, a 3rd, and maybe a pick for next year. Not sure that would work, depending on the 2015 pick. I'm guessing it would be a 2nd.

24. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

I also have Zach Martin and Chris Borland going 1-2 in my mock. Hell yeah!!!

25. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I don't think anyone wants that but, IF we go another position at #19, it's looking more and more like we will not get a starter for this year in the 2nd. These a fallback options based on what is now available, and it's not good.

What would you do?

26. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I would have no problem with that, and believe most will agree. I just doubt Martin being there.

27. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

Well... with Martin what became evident after rewatching some of his Stanford film is that he was heavily protected by scheme,playcalling, and an offense loaded with NFL talent (which is another trick in projecting players). And the whole being depressed thing was an issue...

The other issue was scheme fit. In a ZBS, you need guards that can pull. Our guards really couldn't pull (Brenner could but wasn't ready to be a starter yet).

The one thing I will say is for our scheme, there are A LOT of decent OL prospects. Still prospects but more OL I'd be willing to take a risk on.

28. DolfanDuBbZ~

My comment is geared to those still advocating late round players for the oline.

29. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

if martin is gone i say we target the 2nd best TE

30. mnphinfan

I think if Cleveland passes on a QB at 4 they would definitely be a candidate. Trade them #19 for their 25th (or 26th pic, I can't remember) Plus their second round pick. If Cleveland passes on a QB at 4 I'm praying this happens. Question is does Farmer have the balls to pass on not one but possibly two franchise QB's when they could be on their board with the 4th pick. It could be possibly a GM career ending mistake to not select a QB early & have one of them blow up, while the 2nd tier QB candidate totally flops and you set tbe franchise back another 3 -5 years.

31. DolfanDuBbZ~

I wouldn't sit at 19. Either trade up or trade back. Get your man to help solidify that oline. Right now I see alot of decent talent past the top 3 oline prospects. But with recent history this staff and FO must gget this right, this year. Another 50 sacm season is unacceptable.
    In a dream world I trade back and pick up the guard Sua-Filo while hopefully getting an extra 3rd round pick. 2nd round leaves alot there to be had, a luxury pick, IMO. While 2 thirds could help finish the search for oline depth and talent. If Right tackle remains a issue in preseason, you make move to bring someone to fix it.

One way or another I would spend 3 of my top 4 picks on the line.

32. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

I think this is our best bet. Their 25th and a second would be good

33. miami9954

miami9954 Rookie Finheaven VIP Donator

Thought about you Roman as soon as I seen this mock,seems like
    you and Bucky are thinking alike.But we all know on Finheaven who had there mock up first.:up:

34. z926538

z926538 Rookie

Seriously? You want to trade down to pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick given the way the Dolphins screw up their second and third round picks every year? We may have a new GM doing the picking, but it is the same scouting staff feeding him the information about the prospects.

I would rather trade up and guarantee a top notch starting quality offensive tackle or stay put and take BPA than to trade down and screw up the pick.

35. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

WellI wouldn't trade pick unless u get above value before our pick. Wait till we see who is there on the clock.
    If Martin or Lewan are still there u take them, Ebron another possibility. If none of those guys are there trade down.
    TAke another lineman early, possible linebacker or corner. Safety if top level guy is there.
    Don't take Wr unless prospect falls too far to pass on.

36. YungRobbin

YungRobbin Active Member

So you would rather trade up and LOSE picks in a deep draft or take BPA at a position we might not even need (ala Jordan so people can moan about it for months) than trade down still pick up a top notch O lineman (Xavier Su'a-Filo ?) AND have extra picks in a deep draft...

I swear dolphin fans walk around with this dreadful, loser mindset. How about we give Hickey a chance to make a single pick before we complain about him potentially screwing up a draft?

37. Phinsfan93

Phinsfan93 A True Fan

1. BPA or trade down with Cleveland or SF.
    2. Ja'Wuan James RT regardless. Could perhaps be better than any LT that everyone wants in the 1st at his natural position.

38. z926538

z926538 Rookie

Because we're Dolphins fans? Because we have lived through fifteen years of incompetent drafting across multiple GMs, of which Jeff Ireland and his six years of disastrous drafts were the norm? Because we all saw the process under which Hickey was hired, a process where more competent candidates were rejected or voluntarily removed themselves from consideration due to Ross's bromance with Philbin?

I'm sorry, but this franchise doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore from this fan. I'll believe Ross has chosen a competent GM after that GM has given us several stellar draft classes and a few stellar off-seasons of free agency.

39. ONole1

ONole1 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

With the latest CBA the draft is so unpredictable. I think there have been something like 12 (not 100% sure) day one trades in the last two drafts, so anything goes and as deep as this draft is no telling how it's going to go. If the QB's don't go at the top of the round I look for teams that need a QB to get back into round one and #19 might be where they start looking. Adding that extra year for a round one QB it HUGE for teams both developmentally and financially.

40. MikeO

MikeO Premium Member Donator

If that is the o-line for the 2014 season then the o-line will be an utter disaster and just as bad as last year. Aside from the upgrade at LT, the rest of the unit might actually be worse or at best equal to last year.