Two Round Mock from NFL & Hickey's Potential Problem | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Two Round Mock from NFL & Hickey's Potential Problem

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...aft-50-jadeveon-clowney-aj-mccarron-to-texans

Here's a 2 round mock from Brooks at NFL. He has Miami taking Martin and ILB Borland in the second.

He has OT's Robinson, Matthews, and Lewan gone. Then, he has Su'a-Filo, Moses, Adn Kouandjio going late 1st, and Bitonio top of the second.

No one has any idea how this draft will shake out in the first two rounds. However, after looking at a number of mocks, the consensus is that there is not going to be a good guy on the OL available with our pick in the 2nd, where I thought there would be. This would be a big problem for Hickey if Miami sees the same happening.

He is likely going to have to make a tuff choice on what to do with #19, and if Martin is also projected to not be there, chances are he will have to make a move, a reach or, have a backup plan for an OT after the draft.

What would you do?

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is an opportunity to do so; I would like to trade into the latter part of the draft, with a team like the 49rs for example. Doing so will give us a better chance to pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd Rnd, and thus increasing our chances to find 2 OL players that can contribute early. I like this scenario specially if Martin is not there when we pick.

Martin and Borland? I'll take it.

3rd Round, Target RT (plenty to choose from)

Cameron Flemming
JaWuan James
Jack Mewhort

LT - Albert
LG - Z. Martin
C - Pouncey
RG - Shelley
RT - Flemming/James/Mewhort

Garner/Brenner/D. Thomas/Fox

Not bad.

A few things
* I have said for weeks now that Morgan Moses IS a 1st round pick
* If the draft fell the way Brooks states, Miami gets two solid, high character and productive kids
* If the draft went this way, I would think long and hard about Shazier at 19 and James at 50....I think Martin goes before the Fins pick. Plus, Martin will be okay at tackle, but a stud inside.

If there is an opportunity to do so; I would like to trade into the latter part of the draft, with a team like the 49rs for example. Doing so will give us a better chance to pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd Rnd, and thus increasing our chances to find 2 OL players that can contribute early. I like this scenario specially if Martin is not there when we pick.

I would like to do the same IF we do not see a play maker at #19. I just don't see anyone willing to trade up, in a deep draft, for a player we would not want to have.

Martin and Borland? I'll take it.

3rd Round, Target RT (plenty to choose from)

Cameron Flemming
JaWuan James
Jack Mewhort

LT - Albert
LG - Z. Martin
C - Pouncey
RG - Shelley
RT - Flemming/James/Mewhort

Garner/Brenner/D. Thomas/Fox

Not bad.

I would take that as well but, cannot see a 3rd rounder coming in to start at RT. I could see one developing for a year. That wold mean adding a vet for a year's band aid.

A few things
* I have said for weeks now that Morgan Moses IS a 1st round pick
* If the draft fell the way Brooks states, Miami gets two solid, high character and productive kids
* If the draft went this way, I would think long and hard about Shazier at 19 and James at 50....I think Martin goes before the Fins pick. Plus, Martin will be okay at tackle, but a stud inside.

My biggest problem with Martin is, as you say, that he would be OK at RT. For me that is not good enough at #19, a and OG's are much easier to fill in with vets. JMO

I would take that as well but, cannot see a 3rd rounder coming in to start at RT. I could see one developing for a year. That wold mean adding a vet for a year's band aid.

True,

I'm assuming you let Fox, (Rookie Pick of Flemming/James/Mewhort), and Garner? Battle for RT?

Maybe bring in McKinnie?

True,

I'm assuming you let Fox, (Rookie Pick of Flemming/James/Mewhort), and Garner? Battle for RT?

Maybe bring in McKinnie?

No, I would easily bring back Clabo over McKennie but, hope a better option comes available from cuts after the draft.

This draft is at least 3 maybe 4 rounds deep with potential starters on the line....

I would take Landry in the second but would be OK with the LB too. I think we probably need to take o-line in the first, and I get the whole argument that playmakers are much more valuable but some of the same people making that argument also say its playoffs or bust for Philbin, so if you're going to put a one year ultimatum on the coach and maybe even the GM then they would be foolish to not take a nice safe plug and play cornfed that can help out on day one. If they shock us all and don't select at least one cornfed in the first 2 rounds then they've got some big ****ing balls, I'll say that.

I think something that is a definite possibility if a top QB slides is the Fins being able to trade down because of the Cardinals having the #20 pick. Sure they could use help at LB but if one of the top QB's slides to them, they could easily take a QB and let him sit behind Palmer for a year, who will be 35 this season. Then next year when the 2nd year QB is ready to take the reigns the Cardinals could release him with only a $2 million dollar cap hit for 2015 and save $10 million against the cap instead of paying him his $12 million dollar salary.

They are going to need to clear some salary by 2015 because Fitzgerald's cap hit is $23.6 million, with $14.4 million being an automatic cap hit if he is released, Calais Cambell will also have a cap hit of $14.7 million, with a $11 million dollar cap hit if he is released, Patrick Peterson will also need to be resigned as well for more than likely top 5 CB money. That's a ton of coin going out the window for 3 players and having a QB with a relatively low cap hit would be a god send to the Cardinals.

Which is why I think that the Fins sitting at #19 is a perfect spot to trade down with a team who wants a QB but doesn't want to take the chance for the Cards to beat them to the punch.

I could live with that though prefer Morris (Iowa0 for ILB.

Hayden Fox said:
If the draft went this way, I would think long and hard about Shazier at 19 and James at 50....I think Martin goes before the Fins pick. Plus, Martin will be okay at tackle, but a stud inside.

I fully expect the stealers to go CB or DL. Nobody knows what the Cowboys will do esp Jerruh. I saw a mock where the Rams take Roby at 13; the resulting chaos may allow Martin to drop to 19.

Shazier @ 19 IMO is a bit early. Hopefully, Philly or SF get anxious for Brandin Cooks and trade with Miami. Su'a-Filo & Shazier should both be on the board in the bottom third of round 1

I think something that is a definite possibility if a top QB slides is the Fins being able to trade down because of the Cardinals having the #20 pick. Sure they could use help at LB but if one of the top QB's slides to them, they could easily take a QB and let him sit behind Palmer for a year, who will be 35 this season. Then next year when the 2nd year QB is ready to take the reigns the Cardinals could release him with only a $2 million dollar cap hit for 2015 and save $10 million against the cap instead of paying him his $12 million dollar salary.

They are going to need to clear some salary by 2015 because Fitzgerald's cap hit is $23.6 million, with $14.4 million being an automatic cap hit if he is released, Calais Cambell will also have a cap hit of $14.7 million, with a $11 million dollar cap hit if he is released, Patrick Peterson will also need to be resigned as well for more than likely top 5 CB money. That's a ton of coin going out the window for 3 players and having a QB with a relatively low cap hit would be a god send to the Cardinals.

Which is why I think that the Fins sitting at #19 is a perfect spot to trade down with a team who wants a QB but doesn't want to take the chance for the Cards to beat them to the punch.

Personally I'm more concerned with Arizona trading ahead of us to take Martin or whatever top tier OT/OG available.

Back
Top Bottom