Tyler Eifert missing from the NFL Draft room?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Wildbill3, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

Leading the way with a draft-high four players is Florida State (E.J. Manuel, Bjoern Werner, Menelik Watson, Xavier Rhodes) and BCS National Champion Alabama (Eddie Lacy, Chance Warmack, D.J. Fluker, Dee Milliner)
    The players officially confirmed to attend this month’s draft include: Ezekiel “Ziggy Ansah, DE, BYU; Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia; Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina; Eric Fisher, T, Central Michigan; Shariff Floyd, DT, Florida; D.J. Fluker, T, Alabama; Luke Joeckel, T, Texas A&M; Lane Johnson, T, Oklahoma; Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon; Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama; E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida St.; Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama; Barkevoius Mingo, CB, LSU; Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee; Eric Reid, S, LSU; Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida St.; Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri; Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia; Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington; Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas; Chance Warmack, G, Alabama; Menelik Watson, T, Florida St.; Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida St.

2. Digital

Digital Starter

Not surprising. If Te'o or Eifert were present all we would hear about is the Te'o girlfriend scandal. It would continue to marr a good player's career. It would also unfairly taint people's impression of a stellar Eifert who has done everything on and off the field that could possibly have been expected of him.

If there are 2 Philbin type guys in this draft, they are Tyler Eifert and Ryan Swope ... and I believe both Tannehill and I would be extremely happy if Miami landed them.

3. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

anyone know how many players that attend don't go in the first round? I recall Courtney Upshaw last year

4. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

I'd be fine with just Swope.. But if we don't end up with Swope we better take Tavon #12

5. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP

Not enough room for him with all dem cornfed.

6. Playmaker76

Playmaker76 Well-Known Member

I am going to get bashed for saying this but us Dolphins fans are the only fans who think Eifert is a sure fire high 1st rd pick. He's not going to the draft because there is a good chance he won't get picked in the 1st round. In fact, out of the 42 mock drafts I looked at none had him going higher than 20 and only 4 had him going higher than 23. He'd be a HUGE reach at 12. HUGE.

7. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

I remember Joe Thomas was on a boat fishing with his father on draft day and went #3 overall. Hell, Tim Tebow was drafted in the 1st round and didn't attend the draft.

There's a long list of draft day surprises that happen every year. All it ever takes is for one team to like you.

The longer Eifert lasts, the later a team is going to select one of the players in it. Anything beyond the 12-16 range for Eifert is stealing in my opinion.

8. hoops

hoops exited stage left

just cause he's not going doesn't mean he's gonna be a guy that sits forever waiting to hear his name called...no way he gets out of round 1...he's a top 20 bpa but it will come down to who needs a te so he could last a little longer than he should...but not into day 2...

9. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

I think what i'm gettin at is that the Dolphins want to really reveal our Jersey at the podium, and that pretty much means (unless they sneak him a jersey for the camera) that our guy at 12 is going to be on that list.

10. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

They have a launch on the same day. The jersey will be shown when we make the pick, Steve Ross wont hurt the teams future to show off a new jersey

11. Fintastic2124

Fintastic2124 A True Fan

I remember back when the top 5 or so players actually went....now they try to get the 1st and 2nd round picks there.

12. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

The NFL used to only invite something like 8 to 10 players who were viewed to be high picks. Now they basically invite a ton. Ever since the Aaron Rodgers fiasco in 2005 and subsequent Brady Quinn fiasco in 2007, they've started to try and move away from this idea that they only have the very best players attending the draft itself. They've got 23 players and a number of others (e.g. Star Lotulelei, Tyler Eifert and Matt Barkley) turned them down. They have guys in there that are definitely not going Day 1 (first round). They've broadened out the list of invitees because to them, the more the merrier. They get all the guys into their new team gear, they conduct interviews with them at Radio City, they take them around back and have them greet fans and sign autographs, it's a whole big schindig.

13. hoops

hoops exited stage left

my crystal ball says last guy on the invite list to hear his name called is ej manuel...unless someone really reaches...

along with menelik watson and eric reid...welcome to day 2 fellas

14. ckparrothead

I think E.J. Manuel is not that surprising as an inclusion. He's a guy that is example 1A of a player that a team picking in the high 2nd round might trade up for into the bottom of the 1st round just so that they can a 5th year on his contract. I know the Baltimore Ravens loved him but they did manage to get things done with Joe Flacco so that's probably off the board now. I think the Jacksonville Jaguars will trade up from their pick in the 2nd round into the very bottom of the 1st round so that they can get that 5th year on his contract.

15. hoops

hoops exited stage left

fair point about the 5th year on the contract with a qb...manuel should be there into day 2 but i guess we'll see...i think he's definitely one of the possibilities but teams always reach for qbs...

probably more menelik watson and eric reid...

16. ckparrothead

I guess I should say the Jags MAY trade up to get Manuel in the 1st. There are several teams that may do it. The Jaguars, Eagles, Cardinals, Jets and Bills could all be in the business of trying to trade up to get Matt Barkley (who was invited to attend but turned the NFL down), E.J. Manuel and perhaps Ryan Nasisb.

For me I've only got three quarterbacks in this class that I really like relative to the expected price tag. They are Matt Barkley, E.J. Manuel and Peter Lalich. The other guys I could take or leave and that includes Geno Smith. I think Geno Smith, Ryan Nassib and Tyler Wilson are decent prospects but not great ones. The other guys I don't really like at all. Landry Jones is so hated right now, not without good reason, that if he got to a certain point in Day 3 I would consider it...but not necessarily before Lalich.

I wish I'd gotten a chance to check out this Ryan Griffin guy that people are talking a lot about right now. I just never got a chance to dig deep into him.

17. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i saw lalich at uva as a true freshman start a few games and i immediately said to myself this is the next pro qb after schaub...you could just see the kid had a pro future to him if he could have stayed out of trouble at uva...probably most talented qb we've had in a while...schaub included...

i do know that he blamed everyone but himself for his problems while at uva and i'm also pretty confident his problems were of his own doing...small sample on the field but it looked to me like he knew how to read a defense and get the ball out of his hand pretty well and make some solid decisions...

anyways...i haven't studied the qbs this year like in the past cause we don't need one and i don't think i'd take any of em anymore over tannehill off what he showed as a rookie but for what i have seen the only guys that really interest me in the early rounds are barkley and wilson...and you know i might get down with ryan nassib also...maybe...i did not like his handling of the pocket and pressure in the senior bowl game...

18. ckparrothead

Peter Lalich was pretty immature by all accounts at UVA. You're right he blamed everyone around him but himself. Quite frankly though, he did have some cause to blame the people around him. The guy was caught with some beer at what like 19 years old or something like that? That turns into a big mess somehow. It shouldn't have been. The thing with the probation officer is hazy but the facts are what they are. He was called into court because of some kind of misunderstanding with the probation officer, the judge accepted Lalich's side of the story and maintained his probation with no legal consequence. That day, UVA dismissed him. And it was absolutely part of the feud the admins had going with Al Groh whom they wanted out. Groh vouched for the kid to all his friends in coaching, including Mike Riley who took him on. So at that point if you want to tell me that Lalich was just a TEENSY bit of a victim of circumstances, yeah I think I could buy that. College kid drinks a beer and gets kicked out for it. Umm, what?

The important part to me is that NOW Lalich doesn't blame anyone but himself, as per interviews he's conducted, as per interviews his coach at Cal PA has given. His Cal PA coach even went so far as to say I've got a daughter here at school that is a freshman and I would trust him with her, even. He made mistakes but they were alcohol related and an alcohol treatment program gave him a long evaluation and a glowing report.

Bottom line, this is a huge guy with a great arm and great accuracy that moves around well and has been noted at every level by every coach that's come into contact with him for being a football concept savant.

19. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i know some people up that way who said lalich smoked a lot of pot also at uva...and evidently he had multiple run ins kept on the hush hush before they decided to part ways...uva did make a marter of him though once they decided to move on...that's one thing about uva...they don't mind throwing you under the bus

i'll never understand why guys who want to get to the pros go there anyways...not unless they plan on hitting the books hot and heavy...uva doesn't care they will kick you off the team in a heartbeat

you want to go somewhere and get away with stuff...go to va tech...the gobbler turns his head the other way to all kinds of things...

20. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Watson will end up going in the 1st. There will be a run on OT's.

21. ckparrothead

Based on his personality I don't really doubt the marijuana rumors. But half the damn league smokes pot. It shouldn't be something they test for.

22. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

I don't know why any player would want to sit there and watch their stock value drop like Aaron Rodgers and Brady Quinn, who had to sit there for hours while other names were called. I would prefer barbecuing at home with some friends and keeping the cameras out. I think Eifert would be a solid and safe pick for us, so he is on my short list of guys I think Ireland is looking at. I don't think any of the top three OT's will be around at #12, and Milliner will be gone, and Rhodes just doesn't excite me much. I think it is either Eifert, a pass rushing DE, or we take Tavon Austin and roll the dice.

23. hoops

hoops exited stage left

watsons too raw and too upright to validate a 1st round pick...his knee bend looks great til the snap and then he stands pretty much straight up...not very stout either...

that's what i call a reach...

24. ckparrothead

Menelik Watson wouldn't be a reach at the tail end of the 1st round if you really need a tackle but there's no reason for us to be discussing him at 12, just because I know there WILL be other players on the board that should take priority over him, no matter what the needs are.

25. hoops

hoops exited stage left

like dj fluker...:lol:

26. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

Menelik Watson is a tremendous reach anywhere in the first 5 rounds in my opinion. He's going to be a 25 year old rookie with virtually no significant football experience. Most of his hype was built upon how "superior" of an athlete he was.... went out and tested at the bottom of virtually every category among offensive lineman at the combine.

I don't buy it with him. His tape shows a developmental prospect in need of a lot of coaching that presents a significant risk. I've yet to see the upside.

27. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Seasoned Veteran

Armstead vs Watson - Im assuming the consensus among the draftniks is Armstead? I watched Watson at FSU (as an alum) and I just loved watching him dominate. Sad that it seems that it won't transition too well.

28. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i'm not a watson guy at all...i think him in the top 50 picks is crazy...overaged developmental tackle that like slimm says doesn't even test all that well for a supposed high end athlete...

terron armstead any day over watson for me

29. RichmondWeb

RichmondWeb Greetings from Portlandia Finheaven VIP

I don't see Carradine on your list, does this mean we won't draft him either?

RW

30. ckparrothead

Having Terron Armstead over Menelik Watson isn't a knock on Watson.

Nor do I see the basis for concluding that Menelik Watson's talent will not transition too well to the NFL.

31. ckparrothead

Menelik Watson's test results while running around in gym shorts do not match up with what he did on the football field, nor do they match up with a steady stream of testimony from coaches and fellow players about things he's been able to do on the practice field.

When those things don't match up, I'm going to default to the football field. Good example of this is Travis Johnson of San Jose State. I sat there not 20 feet away him participating in defensive line drills during Shrine week. I saw him every single snap thrust off the snap instantaneously a full step farther than every single other defensive lineman on the West squad. I've seen his get-off as up close as you're going to get. He may be small, he may lack the strength needed to be a significant pass rusher at the next level, but his take-off is not in dispute. Both the tape and his practice performance bear that out.

But if you're just looking on a piece of paper you see 4.86 in the 40 yard dash with a 1.66 in the 10 yard split, and a 9'00" broad jump. Only one outside linebacker at the NFL Combine had a worse 10 yard split. Very few defensive ends had a significantly worse 10 yard split. No outside linebacker or defensive end had a worse broad jump.

Some guys the gym shorts performances don't tell you much about. I think Menelik Watson is one of them.

32. Digital

Digital Starter

I'm glad Eifert isn't there. He's an elite player and a fine young man. That's the type of player I really enjoy rooting for and hope becomes a part of my team.

Peter Lalich was very talented ... I sure wish he could have worked things out in Charlottesville, because he could have been something special I think.

The OL in this draft are overrated IMHO, because the draft itself is weak. Ditto for the CB's. Sure, Joeckel and Fisher are studs. Johnson looks very impressive with a great ceiling, so those 3 convince me. Fluker ... he'll never be a good LT in this league and isn't a 1st round pick in most drafts. Watson, that looks like a bust to me. Armstead is a mid-round developmental prospect who is getting pushed up because he has good feet and there aren't many that do in this draft. Pugh, I thought I liked as a 3rd round T/G guy kinda like Barrett Jones, but now he's looking like a late round 1 pick, and I'm waning on him that high. Kyle Long is an intriguing prospect, but the combo of being both over-age and a little raw isn't the best recipe for NFL success.

Frankly, I'd rather get someone like that small school kid Winters to play G in round 4 than waste a 1st or 2nd rounder on Fluker, Watson, Armstead, Pugh or Barrett. I know we looked at Reid Fragel, who is an intriguing T prospect that can be had in the 4th or 5th as well.

At the end of the day, I have my fingers crossed that Eifert is the pick. Despite the fawning over the top guys at OT and CB, I think we can fill those spots in rounds 2 and 3. But while I like Ertz, Kelce and McDonald, its Eifert that is the exceptional talent and who fits our needs best. I know everyone loves Escobar, Reed and Gragg, but those guys do not impress me. Escobar is too slow and lumbering to be a seam threat, and Reed and Gragg are too small to be end zone mismatches. Eifert makes too much sense for Ireland to draft.