Tyler Eifert will be the pick

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfin530, Apr 18, 2013.

1. dolfin530

dolfin530 Student of the Game

I probably should've put this in the daft forum but if it needs moved I apologize.

Here is why I believe we will select TE-Tyler Eifert. First I will look at players worth drafting at #12 and top players in general. I left out QB, RB, and LB. LB because we just spent big money on Wheeler and Ellerbe.

O-line: Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher, Lane Johnson, Chance Warmack, Jonathan Cooper.
    WR: Corderrelle Patterson, Tavon Austin, Keenan Allen
    TE: Tyler Eifert
    DB: Dee Milliner, Kenny Vaccaro, Xavier Rhodes, Desmond Trufant.
    D-line: Ziggy Ansah, Dion Jordan, Sharrif Floyd, Star Lotulelei, Barkevious Mingo, Bjoern Werner, Demontre Moore.

Next I will remove guys based on availability and scheme fit.

O-line: Jonathan Cooper.

WR: Corderrelle Patterson, Tavon Austin, Keenan Allen
    DB: Kenny Vaccaro, Xavier Rhodes, Desmond Trufant.
    D-line: Star Lotulelei, Bjoern Werner, Demontre Moore.

I removed all 3 tackles, because they will be gone, trading up doesn't seem right(gut feeling) especially considering the depth. Warmack will be a good guard it’s just he didn’t really pull or anything we need guys to do. Ziggy and Jordan will go early and Mingo doesn’t fit. Jordan and Mingo are best suited for a 3-4 but Jordan has the frame to add weight for DE but I don’t think Mingo does. Milliner will be gone early too.

Now I will remove guys that we don’t need or aren’t really worth #12

WR: Tavon Austin
    DB: Kenny Vaccaro, Xavier Rhodes.
    D-line: Bjoern Werner.

I removed Cooper because we really don’t need it. Lotulelei based on need and health. Moore, Trufant, Allen based on value. Patterson is not a need or worth the risk.

Now for those left. Vaccaro is a good S but with Jones and clemons it doesn’t make sense. Especially since the tape doesn’t say difference maker, solid, but we need a difference maker. Rhodes again solid but the tape isn’t difference maker material and there are questions about his zone defense. Werner I like but I believe in Vernon and there will be pass rushers available later. Werner is better than what we but not by much. However Ansah would be way better than what we have but gone early.

That leaves Austin and Eifert. Austin is fast, versatile, and a playmaker. However his size is a question mark and may be limited to the slot. You can say he can return punts and kicks but Thigpen returned both a punt and a kick to the house. He can run reverses and screens but so can Wallace. My point is we have guys that can do those extra tasks. Also considering we can get a guy like Swope or some other speedy guy for the slot in later rounds.

Eifert is big at 6-6 251 and that is an element we lack “Size”. He needs to work on blocking but he is still solid at it. Combine numbers aren’t everything but they match his tape. He was a top performer in all the measurables of the TE group. Eifert is a red zone and seem threat. Can go up and get the ball. I’m sold on Eifert.

4[SUP]th[/SUP] in the 40 at 4.68
    Tied for 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] in the bench press at 22
    2[SUP]nd[/SUP] in the vertical at 35.5
    Tied for 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] in the broad jump at 119.0 – 9feet- 11 inches (I think)
    1[SUP]st[/SUP] in the 3 cone drill at 6.92
    3[SUP]rd[/SUP] in the 20 yard shuttle at 4.32
    2[SUP]nd[/SUP] in the 60 yard shuttle at 11.52

Good watch http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap2000000160830/2013-Draft-profile-Tight-End-Tyler-Eifert-Notre-Dame

2. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

I was watching NFL Network last night and they were discussing the Jets draft strategy. They threw out the possibility the Jets may take Eifert at 9. Hope not but the Jets don't have any TE's worth squat now that Keller left them.

3. steveo style

steveo style Scout Team Donator

Works for me

4. Phindog

Phindog A True Fan

Its a possibility with the Jets Taking Eifert. We all see what Gronk does for the Patriots when he's in the game and not on the field......But...

...they are the jets and they are under contract with the NFL to screw up the 1st round pick every year to the end of time.:)

5. AJFins87

AJFins87 Heavy Hitter

I have been praying every night for this to happen. I hope it comes to fruition.

6. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

7. Dogbone34

Dogbone34 cowboy surfer

An excellent idea

8. finfanaz

finfanaz A True Fan

I'd love Eifert at 12. And I would be bummed if the Jets took him, which seems like a definite possibility.

9. FinHunter

FinHunter Member

I like Eifert too, we really need a redzone threat. Someone you go to on 3rd an goal from the five yard line.

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

I would be upset too if Jets take him!

10. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw61TLNYN2w watch the highlights of this beast

seriously this is what you want in a tight end... 6'6 long arms goes up and gets the football... If there was one "Philbin" player in this draft it is Eifert...... Imagine pairing him up with Swope http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCosoGT0beM

I honestly think they are looking to go Eifert+ Swope in the draft... if by some crazy reason that doesn't happen... they will go Austin+ Ertz

11. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

He could be the pick. Ireland has a history of drafting players he doesn't talk about. The fact that he tried to minimize the TE position in his press conference is also suspicious. It leads me to think he will definitely be drafting a TE.

12. RockyMtnPhinfan

RockyMtnPhinfan A True Fan Donator

Trade for Albert>>>>>>LT (Lane Johnson) falls to us and we trade back with someone lusting after Lane Johnson>>>>>>we pick Eifert in back half of first round. DONE

I am so down with this.

13. Yessir

Yessir Dolfan for Life Donator

I share these same sentiments. He said something along the lines that he doesn't view tight end as a "core posistion".

You can't fool me Ireland!

14. Kornnut

Kornnut Well-Known Member

Eifert will be a target of many teams on draft day. At the start everyone was predicting him as a low first rounder. I could see him going in the top ten real easy. I think we need to at least get ahead of the jets to get him. It would shock me to see the cards go after him if they don't go o-line.

15. burgerj3

burgerj3 Active Member Donator

He could be the next Jimmy Graham Sign me up even its a little bit of a reach. If i recall we wanted jimmy years ago and just missed out. Philbin knows the pieces we need. He'll get em!!

16. PaleAleExpress

PaleAleExpress Member

Eifert would be a great pick for the fact it would cover us on the 1 yr deal Keller signed.

17. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

I'd be happy with this pick. I think the Falcons are gonna go hard for him and they are probably figuring they need to jump us for him. Either way, either Eifert or Austin should be there for our pick.

18. dcnr226

dcnr226 A True Fan Donator

My biggest fear is that it seems like the rest of the league is doing the same thing. I could see him being drafted in the top 10 considering how the league is trending

19. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

wanted eifert since day one of all this talk.

but to simply discount cooper based on "not needed" cus joe sixpack says so is silly. joe philbin absolutely loves that guy. you know damn well he does.

20. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

Keller wanted a long term deal but Fins said no. hummmmm
    With all the tackle smokescreen stuff going on maybe he was the target all the time.
    Haven't hear his name much other than at Finheaven.

Don't worry. The Jets are targeting a place kicker so he should be available at #12 :up:

More weapons for Tannehill. i like that.

21. hoops

hoops exited stage left

hmmm...maybe...i'll throw in a wildcard...that fits what we want to do and is rising up boards fast right now after clearing medical...cb dj hayden...i sure don't have a problem with it...

22. zach8111

zach8111 Pro Bowler

doubt lane falls to us with the chargers right ahead of us with probably the biggest need for an OT in the whole league

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

no trading up for eifert. id be okay with him at 12 even though that might be a slight reach but trading up ahead of jets to get him... no

23. hoops

hoops exited stage left

johnsons not getting past #7 and probably gone by pick #5 eifert probably will get to you cause the jets are very high on mingo at #9...unless something else falls in their lap

24. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

I like him but I don't think we'll take him at 12. He's very good imo but I don't think he'll go that high. If we move down then we might take him then. I'm all for getting Tanny as many weapons as posible but in the end, is he a future superstar, or is he a solid TE? Will he really be fast enough to beat all those NFL Lb's down the seam? I also like Austin and at 12 I think I'd take him over a TE. I believe we can get a good TE in round two.

Ozzy rules!!

25. northnj dolfan

northnj dolfan Well-Known Member

26. cane6

cane6 Well-Known Member

I don't get why people question Eiferts speed. Look at his vertical jump, shuttle time and 40 time. Just as good if not better than Gronkowski.

Gronkowski would have been a 1st rounder if he wasn't coming off back surgery

27. CRAZYDOLFAN305

CRAZYDOLFAN305 We Are Still Going To The SB

Our offense desperately need someone of his ilk.

28. Phindog

Phindog A True Fan

The one thing i see which is across the board is no one is against Eifert at the 12,there's really no negatives on him and we are in need of a Tight end.If the top 3 O-line men are gone and Milliner is gone in the top 11 then i'd say try and trade down with Dallas and get their 1st(18) and 2nd(47) and they get our 1st(12) and our 4th(111) or trade our 1st(12)with Vikings and get their 1st(23) and their 2nd(52) and 4th(120).I'd like the Dallas trade better than we could still get Eifert.He may not be there at 23.

29. Shaun

Shaun Member

Nfl people are silly. They are so afraid of over drafting or under drafting a player high or low in the round. This is how you makes mistakes. If Miami likes Eiffert than draft him. Don't try to be slick n trade down. Just get him and then go up there and get austin

30. nyfinzfan

nyfinzfan Seasoned Veteran

I hope we draft this kid. When hes a big target in the red zone nobody cares if we reached, when he catches a 10 yd pass on 3rd and 9 nobodys gonna care we reached....when he goes to 5 pro bowls nobodys gonna remember or say we reached.

31. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

I don't think it's Eifert. Could be wrong but I don't think it is.

32. Phindog

Phindog A True Fan

I'm trading down because I'd pass on Austin.The vikings if they really like someone that thinks will be gone are our best team to get a couple first rounder out of.Vikings lost Harvin so they might want to get up in the 12 spot to replace him.

If we could get the Vikings both 1's and give them our 1(12) and 3a.(77)

This way we would have 1(23) and 1(25) 2(42) and 2(54) and 3(82)

33. Djavelin

Djavelin Head Dolphin In This Pod Donator

I'm on board with him. That's my choice.

34. dchalk

dchalk Member

Don't think there is any way Vikings with all their needs gives up their top two picks to move up for Austin as there will still be other WRs there for them like Hunter, Woods, etc when they pick. Would be thrilled if we stay where we are and come out with our first 4 picks, with trade for Albert should it happen, being Eifert, Austin, or Cooper at 1.12, either Justin Hunter or Ertz at 2a depending on who pick in first, Albert and then best available CB available

35. finfan54

after albert signing seems like a move we will make provided things can work out contract wise, I am completely on board for Eifert.

Its either Cooper of Eifert for me. Cooper first because I think we would look to trade Incognito and save money.

but man, Eifert and Keller. pretty scary people.

36. finfan54

speed is so overrated. he is a football player. wes welker is not fast. gonzalez is not fast. he is tall and a great football redzone scoring machine.

37. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

I also think Eifert will be the pic at #12....he is the best TE in the draft and TE is a huge need for us, even with Keller.

38. dolfin530

dolfin530 Student of the Game

Who do you think it will be?

39. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

If they stay at 12, I think most likely Xavier Rhodes...with an outside possibility recently raised by Mike Mayock that Dee Milliner is there and if that's the case it'll be him. If they don't stay put, I think it's a trade up to Cleveland for Lane Johnson.

40. xXwarXx

xXwarXx Banned Hammered

Ireland has never shown the foresight to take a untraditional playmaker like eifert in the 1st round. So as much as I want to draft him I don't see it happening.

Ireland probably still thinks it's not worth drafting a TE in the 1st round even though the way the NFL has changed is clearly disproving that bs logic.

Expert a more traditional type player at a traditional type position. You can also knock tavon off your list.