Tyler Eifert

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by fanfin, Jan 4, 2013.

1. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

I might catch some slack for this but I believe he is a better pro prospect than Jimmy Graham or Rob Gronkowski coming out of college... (remember they have brees and brady throwing them the ball two HOF) if there is one thing I hope we do is draft Eifert in the first. Say good bye to Carpenter kicks and hello to Red Zone TDs

watch the film, the eye in the sky don't lie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqJRd3mN01w

2. finsfan4life

finsfan4life In Dawn We Trust!

I won't pretend that I've watched film on either Eifert or Ertz, but I definitely won't be mad if we draft one of them with the first pick. We need game changers on offense, and while people concentrate on receivers, tight end is as big a need IMO.

3. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

watch the highlight video from 2012 on the link

4. qmar

qmar Well-Known Member

He's going to go in the 20's somewhere. The guy is too polished to not be a 1st round pick, especially considering how much value teams are putting into this position nowadays. A guy like Eifert is a mismatch against anyone trying to cover him. He will out jump and box out any DB and will run past any LB. I say you move back 5 or 6 picks, pick up another 2nd or 3rd, and take him in the 1st if you really want him.

Like I said, the guy is incredibly polished for his age.

5. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I am not a fan of picking a TE as high as Miami will be picking in this draft, especially with how much more we need a premier receiver, a lockdown corner, a passrusher to put oppisite Wake, or a quality guard, but I must admit, Eifert looks like a difference maker just like Graham and Gronkowski. If he manages to blow everyone away at the combine, I personally would not have any problems taking him that high and fixing the other positions with our 2-2nd rounders and 2-3rd rounders.

6. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

Couldn't have said it any better and TE's only get better in the NFL because most colleges do not have TE coaches. I can't comment or speculate if ND does or not but Dan Campbell could have this guy the best TE in the league in two years..

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

We also have 47M$ in cap space to assist as well, I think after FA you can cross of premier receiver and lockdown cornwer/ or pass rusher

7. ROADRUNNER

ROADRUNNER FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I like him but we would have to move back into the 1st to get him.................DE/WR with our 1st pick,

8. mikefinfan

mikefinfan Die hard Fins Fan

I say trade back to the late first kinda like we did with odrick, and pick eifert at 24-26 while also getting another pick, maybe a 6th or 7th

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2013
  9. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

24-26 too late my freind

10. SCOTTY

SCOTTY Well-Known Member

Drop back 12 to 14 spots for only a 6th or 7th. Sorry, you do not understand draft value at all.

11. edaniel1717

edaniel1717 Well-Known Member

No doubt he could be a great player....... however..

#12 pick.. id perfer to move up... instead of move back... ( you move back and he gets picked up before your pick.... dumb)

picking TE in the first round to me is a luxury pick.... id perfer to Dolphins to sign J. Finley (likely to be released) .... and upgrade the TE position without using a draft pick.

Go DE at #12...to start play opposite Wake ... get more pressure on the QB.

sign a veteran TE and WR to be playmakers on offense.......

12. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Man O Man! But I gotta admit he has that Bess and Hartline tendency to fall down after every catch.

13. Digital

Digital Starter

I'm certainly not going to give you any grief for that, because Eifert is a very good prospect with excellent hands and size as well as decent speed. But, I will disagree with that opinion. In college Gronkowski was about as good of a TE prospect as there ever was. He looked like a bigger, faster and stronger Tony Gonzalez. But he missed a year with a serious back injury, and while he was completely medically cleared, most teams had him as a major medical red flag. If not for that he definitely would have been drafted in the top half of the first round.

Graham was much more of a raw project with freakish athletic talent on par with JPP and Aldon Smith. As a prospect, there is no question Eifert is rated higher than Graham was. But, after Graham developed, he is playing at a level that is above Eifert's ceiling, IMHO.

Eifert is like a bigger and faster version of Jason Whitten. As Witten is the all-time reception leader for Dallas, that's saying quite a lot. But, he is roughly the same height and build as Graham, with less speed, quickness and vertical leap.

Eifert had a chance to be great, but nobody expects his production to exceed Gronk:s or Graham's. I'd definitely be excited to have him (or Ertz) from this draft.

14. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Exactly. In fact, I think an upper echelon TE will accelerate the development of RT more than any WR. A TE is a QB's security blanket. Eifert looks like he could be elite and would be a good red zone target.
    The Phins have a solid team. What they are missing are impact players on offense and defense. In the 1st rd, they need to grab the guy that has the potential to be an impact player at his respective position.

15. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

TE is a need.... in round two

16. cane6

cane6 Well-Known Member

Trade down 6-8 spots for a 3rd. Take Eifert there. If you have seen this guy in the red zone, both at TE and split out, you know he is the red zone option we haven't had since Orande Gadsden.

17. cane6

cane6 Well-Known Member

Looking at more of his film, I'd say Eifert is the highest ranked TE coming out since Kellen Winslow. Eifert is a strong route runner and has body control and adjusts to the ball better thn a lot of WR's

18. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

agreed catches as good of a jump ball as i have seen

19. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

What makes Eifert great is not just the catching of the ball but his blocking. Ertz is a nice TE and one I wouldnt mind having but Eifert is a great blocker. His stats dropped a little from last year but he really worked on his blocking and that is what coaches/scouts love about him. His size is incredible while still having that athletic ability.

If ever there was a prospect that screamed a Philbin type player this one is it.

I wouldnt care about picking him at 12. Just think about comparing him to Ted Ginn's family at 9. This guy brings instant impact to the offense. You can get a great WR in any round really cus most WR's take 2-3 years to get going. I dont base picking a player on what his draft status is according to draft sites because it changes days up until the draft.

The thing you absolutely must draft is a player who will start day one and make a difference and who fits your team. Thats the bottom line cus once the play starts, people wont remember where he was drafted in the first round, they will just remember he is a good one. Think Pouncey. There is no such thing IMO in drafting a great player at any position too high since there are so many who either are partial busts or do not have that starting impact.

20. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

couldn't have said it better.. Eifert is the perfect Philbin player.. perfect fit for our offense.... In a really week top 15.. one of the weaker top of the draft classes in years... why not take Eifert at #12? there is pass rush galore available in FA and 2nd-3rd round

21. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Eifert has a chance of being special, and dominant in Miami's offense, Finley hasn't been dominant for a while now. Eifert has proven to be a weapon while being a team player, Finley has not been much of a team player lately. Eifert really could be special tyt pe of player, and even taking him at 12, would not upset me....we need playmakers on offense, and he is going to be one in a huge way.

22. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I love Eifert, but I think Miami needs to get a tight end in free agency. Take care of that position and then draft BPA, which likely will be a pass rusher in round 1. Then I'd look for a developmental tight end in the 4th-7th round range. You never know with trade downs either. The Dolphins could trade down 8 spots only to find Eifert picked one spot before them.

23. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I'm a little concerned with long-range speed with Eifert. He's a great target, but I'm really interested in his 40. 12 is rich for TE, and if I'm drafting one that high, I want a superstar ceiling.

24. cane6

cane6 Well-Known Member

I know everyone wants a TE as fast or faster than Vernon Davis but I look at production, route running, body control and big game plays which Eifert has all of. Plus he is an above average blocker.

Gronkowski would have been a late 1st rounder if not for major injury concerns. Here is Gronkowski's combine numbers which as long as Eifert runs at 4.70 or better should cement his status as a mid 1st round pick.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2010/04/gronkowski_comb.html

25. PJack

PJack A True Fan

I like him a lot but 12 might be a little rich. I would not be upset if we did reach a bit given the importance of a upper tier TE to a young QB. If we passed I think Ertz in the 2nd or maybe Fauria later as he is a good red zone and seam threat though not a good blocker....at all.

26. cane6

cane6 Well-Known Member

I'm concerned about Fauria. We already have a soft TE who is too weak to block anyone in Egnew

27. PJack

PJack A True Fan

Yup, definitely not unreasonable to compare them, but Fauria did trend well and improved each year as a receiving threat. Definitely has some receiving production as a Sr for UCLA. More of a 4-5th rounder unless he shows some blocking ability in the off season workouts. We'd probably be best served at signing Cook or Finley

28. finfan54

i say pick him at 12. screw draft status/experts. this guy has pro bowl written all over him. why let the rich get richer?

why pick someone who might have ?

this guy doesnt.

and TE is our biggest hole if Fasano gone.

29. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Correct. This nonsense that 12 is too rich for a TE is just that, nonsense. This guy is a matchup nightmare for a defensive coordinator and can be elite. He will make everyone in the offense better simply because the defense really needs to account for him.
    If Gronkowski is healthy in the SB, the Pats beat the Giants. Eifert is in that mold.

30. finfan54

and he helps any rookie RT blocking. A great blocking TE makes the defense more indecisive on whether run or pass.He also can split out for quick hits for first downs. He is a weapon any way you slice it.

You want to get a TE in FA? fine! now you have two very good TE'S and the envy of BB.

31. Exuro

Exuro Well-Known Member

BB still gonna laugh because he paid a 2nd a 4th for his TEs, and you just paid a 1st and a free agent contract.

32. finfan54

no he's not, he's gonna say now he has to worry about bush and these two

33. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

Eifert is the same size as Fasano and from the same school. I'm probably having Fasano shivers but is Eifert projected to be a better TE than Fasano?

34. cane6

cane6 Well-Known Member

Watch Eifert's game film. The way he gets in and out of his routes you can tell he is exponentially better than Fasano. Plus watch Eifert adjust to the ball. Watch him tomorrow night against Alabama and see for yourself against top notch defenders.

35. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Joe Montana and Rick Mirer were from the same school. You do realize that colleges don't clone athletes. They are genetically distinct individuals.
    Eifert is also 3-4 inches taller than Fasano and faster. Other than that, they are identical

36. jamvinny

jamvinny Well-Known Member

I too would be happy with Eifert. As I have said in a previous post this offseason is all about acquring talent and players who can take us to the next level and more. Again Eifert is a a talented player, best of this year's TE draft class so if he is available to Miami at our spot then you seriously have to consider taking him. His skills and football smarts is in keeping with the type of player Joe Philbin desires.

37. Oraclepz

Oraclepz Seasoned Veteran

People have it wrong . We need to address WR inf FA. I would love to have ertz or eifert. But def not at 12 trade down some

38. jamvinny

jamvinny Well-Known Member

There are times where you have to veer from this trade down and acquire more picks. In my opinion this season is about quality over quantity.

For example in the 2010 draft we traded down at 12 with San Diego to get Jared Odrick at 29. The highest rated and best Safety in the draft class was Earl Thomas who was available at our original spot later went at 14. Thomas made an impact immediately to that defence and look at Seattle now. Did you see that amazing interception he made againt the Skins last night?

We need guys who are playmakers, gamechangers, difference-makers what ever you want to call.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
  39. MichaelWC

MichaelWC Member

I agree we need playmakers.