UEFA Euro 2016: Knockout stage (R16 to Final) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

UEFA Euro 2016: Knockout stage (R16 to Final)

5 min left in Iceland vs England. 2-1 Iceland. :lol:

Is Iceland gonna give England a Brexit from the Euro. :sidelol:

EDIT: Holy **** they did it. That is an upset of major proportions. And the ref did everything he could to turn the game incl 3 min of extra time. For those who do not know anything about soccer this is a Tsunami, a 10.0 Earthquake and a Cat 5 Hurricane all in one for England and world soccer. :lol:

Flood warnings on the border of England, as the Welsh piss themselves laughing.

EDIT: ... and Roy Hodgson walks.
Slovakia draw, Russia draw, Iceland loss, Italy loss, Uruguay loss, Costa Rica draw.
Pretty crappy competition record.

Flood warnings on the border of England, as the Welsh piss themselves laughing.
:lol:
The media is gonna rip that team into pieces.

There was that story where an Iceland company offered the English players a whale watching tour if they lose to Iceland. That way they could avoid flying home for a while after the game. :sidelol:

I have to look that story up later.

Edit: found it
http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/iceland-england-euro-2016-whale-watching-tour-banter-north-sailing-062316

Quarterfinals are set:

The bracket:

bracket.jpg

8 teams left
Poland vs Portugal
Belgium vs Wales
France vs Iceland
Germany vs Italy

My prediction:
After I was wrong on a couple teams in the R16 I give it another shot.

Poland over Portugal
Portugal coming off a game in which the first shot on goal of both teams (in the 117th minute!!!!) proved to be the winner. That won't be enough the second time around. Poland's defense and Lewandowski who will have his best game of the tournament will be a tad to much. Poland is much more balanced than Portugal who relies too much on Ronaldo.

Wales over Belgium

Belgium took advantage of a very offensive Hungary team. I still think that Belgium is two years away to become a major soccer power. Wales has a stifling defense and will score early which will force Belgium run against a Welsh wall and leaves them open for counter attacks.

France over Iceland

Unfortunately Iceland's summer dream will come to an end. I am still not convinced that France has what it takes to win Euro 2016. Homefield advantage and the French luck will be enough to send the newcomers home. But I wouldn't be terribly upset if Iceland proves me wrong.

Germany over Italy
While Germany has never beaten Italy in a major tournament this team has gotten better every game. Italy is one of the surprises to me. I did not expect the "Century Village*" of the Euro to go that far much less kick defending champion Spain out. That victory was more a result of excellent coaching rather than talent (or over the hill talent). Italy will play a similar style against Germany as they did against Spain. The difference is that Spain never replaced the talent they had lost over the years. The more offensive style of Italy will help Germany who have faced 4 defensive minded teams. Their only draw back is still that they need too many chances to score goals. But as Gomez has now two games under his belt at Euro 2016 the switch to a true #9 will pay off.
The only guarantee I can give: the winner of this match will go to the final. Neither France nor Iceland (if they would spring for another major upset) has enough to beat either team.

For now I stick with my Wales vs Germany final.

*Note to our foreigners: Century Village is a famous retirement community in Florida. :lol:

:lol:
The media is gonna rip that team into pieces.

There was that story where an Iceland company offered the English players a whale watching tour if they lose to Iceland. That way they could avoid flying home for a while after the game. :sidelol:

I have to look that story up later.

Edit: found it
http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/iceland-england-euro-2016-whale-watching-tour-banter-north-sailing-062316
Draxler plays, Germans have some creativity and they find the ****ing net....how about that!! Draxlers work on that left side was a huge difference maker...some of it was embarrassing the way he worked the RB...

Also, England is getting roasted...I've seen a lot of variations of Brexit now extending to the pitch...

I am a fairly new soccer fan...gravitated to Germany because of Neuer, honestly have enjoyed the last few weeks between the Euro and Copa as much as I have during the NFL season (by the way I am a huge fan of Germany...I don't own a single Dolphins jersey, but I have a Neuer Jersey...the way that some oversea fans sort of landed on Miami...I did the same with Germany (and Bayern))..

Draxler plays, Germans have some creativity and they find the ****ing net....how about that!! Draxlers work on that left side was a huge difference maker...some of it was embarrassing the way he worked the RB...

Also, England is getting roasted...I've seen a lot of variations of Brexit now extending to the pitch...

I am a fairly new soccer fan...gravitated to Germany because of Neuer, honestly have enjoyed the last few weeks between the Euro and Copa as much as I have during the NFL season (by the way I am a huge fan of Germany...I don't own a single Dolphins jersey, but I have a Neuer Jersey...the way that some oversea fans sort of landed on Miami...I did the same with Germany (and Bayern))..

Was Loew's second great move (after Gomez in): Draxler for Goetze.

Goetze has hardly played this year. He is a bench warmer. I think his struggles has to do with the lack of playing time. Is it his fault? I am not sure. He is playing behind Douglas Costa, Kingsley Coman, Arjen Robben and Franck Ribéry (on the outsides) and in the middle Munich has Thomas Müller, Xabi Alonso and Arturo Vidal. This is an all-star lineup in itself. Oh and I forgot Lewandowski.
In Dortmund he was the star fitting into a team. In Munich he became over time one of the many. A return to Dortmund is out of the question. Fans just hate him there. I heard that Liverpool (coached by his former Dortmund coach Klopp) is interested. It would be an option for him. Not sure what the new coach (Ancilotti) in Munich will do.

He is still good for the occasional brilliance but he could do that as a substitute for the German National Team.

It just seemed from the moment he came to the club he was just different then the rest.

Im excited to be finally rid of Pep and hopefully Ancelotti brings back a counter offense.

As much as it sucked watching Croatia lose it was nice seeing Sanches play at a high level.

Sorry to the England fans in here but that was a remarkable game by Iceland today. Would be amazing if they could shock the world like Denmark in 92 and Greece in 04.

I knew England are overrated as hell... but Iceland :lol:

I knew England are overrated as hell... but Iceland :lol:

England has always been overrated. From their domestic league all the way to their National team.

The only player on England that impressed me was Rashford kid did more damage to Iceland in 5 mins then the rest of the squad did in all 90 mins.

wise choices

Poland-Portugal
As a Poland supporter I would love to see a win and of late we have found success against Portugal, but Poland has kind of been skidding by after a high water mark against a very familiar German side.
They dont have adequate depth as witnessed by the squad completely falling apart after the 60th minute against the Swiss in the heat.
Unlike Lewandowski, Ronaldo is more able to create something out of nothing. While Lewandowski is asked more to create space and opportunities for others.
Portugal 2-1

Belgium - Wales
The Belgians have an awesome team, and they are starting to get more and more confident.
There is just too much talent there. I cant see Wales beating them.
Mertens and Hazard are wicked wingers and with Hazard breaking all the more dangerous.
To win this game Wales are going to have to score at least two goals and I cannot see that happening
Belgium 3 - 1

Germany - Italy
For the uninitiated Italy are a classic "Tournament Team". Like the Ravens in football or Mich St. in CBB. They almost always have a winning formula.
I actually not been superbly impressed with Germany in this tournament. Smashing an under talented Slovakia team really didn't change that.
Upset special
Italy 2-1 against the run of play.

France - Iceland
France 1-0
It will be a grinding sort of game, but too much cohesive complementary talent on the French side.

\○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/

Great win by Wales.

Back
Top Bottom