UM interested leaving Sun Life stadium - Ross is opposed to the idea | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

UM interested leaving Sun Life stadium - Ross is opposed to the idea

Daytona Fin

Queeks Draw
Club Member
Reaction score
An MLS source said a joint UM/MLS facility remains a “real possibility” that interests Beckham, and Beckham’s people are still studying financial and traffic issues before coming back to UM with details and a definitive answer.

Problem is, a high-ranking Sun Life Stadium official who’s directly involved said Dolphins and stadium owner Stephen Ross is opposed to allowing UM to escape the final 18 years of its lease to move to an MLS facility. UM hasn’t asked yet, because it’s premature.

Since everything is negotiable, I believe a UM/Sun Life settlement is possible if MLS deems the project do-able, even though Ross has told people he’s adamantly opposed to letting UM bolt its lease.

If the stadium is built at PortMiami (Beckham’s preferred site), traffic would be a concern for UM games because some cruises leave on Saturday afternoons. UM also wants to make sure there’s adequate parking. Beckham’s group is trying to formulate solutions on both issues.

UM isn’t unhappy at Sun Life. But several high-ranking UM officials love the MLS stadium idea because of the appeal of a smaller venue (with 40,000 seats) with better atmosphere and sight lines and closer to campus, according to one of those officials. UM also would consider an MLS stadium near Marlins Park, an option Beckham’s group has considered.

UM has publicly confirmed its interest in potentially sharing a stadium with Beckham's team and is awaiting word from MLS on the feasibility.

Ross declined to comment when asked if he would allow UM to escape its lease. But a source close to him said he would have no incentive to do so.

What if UM offered a lot of money? “They don’t have a lot of money to offer,” the Sun Life source said.
Ross has expressed skepticism about MLS’ chances of getting a stadium, especially at PortMiami. “I don’t believe the University of Miami would try to leave because it’s not in their best interests,” Ross said.
If MLS deems the UM idea feasible but Ross balks, this would get fascinating. Would Shalala appeal to Ross publicly or privately, saying he could be viewed as a hero by UM fans if he allows the Canes to leave but would be disdained if he doesn’t? It would be interesting to see if such an approach, and a hefty payout, could persuade Ross to change his mind

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...phins-heat-marlins-chatter.html#storylink=cpy

I'd like to see a smaller venue closer to the U of M campus so maybe they buy out the remaining contract with Ross.

Dolphins should leave too.

Everyone should play in the AAA. We could probably pack that place out.

What a fantastic venue.

Keep it in Miami and you will sell out all the time... No brainer

I have no problem with UM leaving Sun Life if they want to. Would actually rather them leave so the field is in better shape for when the Dolphins play.

With that said, they need to at least buy out their remaining years to leave, they shouldn't just be allowed to break the deal.

I still don't know why Ross can't put together an attractive enough deal to make it difficult for Beckham's group to not buy it and then just build a stadium somewhere up on the undeveloped, yet turnpike accessible Everglades western fringe areas of Delray or Boynton. I guarantee you, based on accessibility alone, the seats will be filled every week. .

I still don't know why Ross can't put together an attractive enough deal to make it difficult for Beckham's group to not buy it and then just build a stadium somewhere up on the undeveloped, yet turnpike accessible Everglades western fringe areas of Delray or Boynton. I guarantee you, based on accessibility alone, the seats will be filled every week. .

I do think it would be in the best interests of all three organizations to at least look into to some sort of an alliance on a new stadium.There are many road blocks in the way. One being MLS, who seem to be, not so upfront with potential cities. At first they wanted small venues, solely for soccer. Orlando agreed to those terms and is building a new soccer stadium but now Atlanta was awarded a team and it seems MLS is side stepping on their stadium requirements by allowing their team to play in the newly planned Falcons stadium. Who knows how things will play out but I think Ross should look into a partnership with Beckham's group before moving with his planned renovations. As business savvy as he is , I would bet he has a team researching on it now.

Orange County Commissioner Ted Edwards wants to know why Orlando was told it would have to build an $85 million stadium to get a Major League Soccer franchise, while Atlanta was awarded an expansion team without the same requirement, reports Orlando Sentinel.

Edwards said that since MLS allowed Atlanta to put both its pro soccer and football teams into Atlanta's planned $1.2 billion stadium, Orlando should have been allowed to put its new MLS team into a Citrus Bowl now undergoing a $207 million renovation, the paper says.

Edwards called it a "double standard" in a Tuesday memo.

"Evidently, the soccer-specific stadium requirement was apparently a false and inaccurate statement by MLS," wrote Edwards.
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...cial-mls-had-double-standard-in-granting.html

JCane nailed it. If the Canes can't be on campus it needs to be on the water or nearby. Natural rewards.

I have to laugh every time a stadium is built in an irrelevant area solely because the morons in charge place ignorant emphasis on centralized location or access roads.

I'm not a big fan of ****roaches but you have to root for any living creature to escape Sun Life Stadium.

Please leave so the endzones can have that awesome paint all year!

Cane officials are just being smart..

If Ross was smart he would take that 400 million dollars worth of lipstick, get the univ of Miami to put in their share, and do a new joint venture multiplex dolphin/canes OB2.

Two progressive for the suits even though both our programs are soaked in tradition that is the venue, and there is a script out there in the NFL that shows the how lucrative and impactful the model can be.

Latest update, a lot more info in the link.

Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez upended the negotiations with David Beckham and his investors Monday by proposing that the group consider building a Major League Soccer stadium on the downtown waterfront — but not at PortMiami.

As an alternative, Gimenez proposed filling a massive boat slip between Museum Park and AmericanAirlines Arena, which, according to the mayor, would create enough new land for a stadium as well as a pedestrian walkway along Biscayne Bay.

“Downtown Miami will greatly benefit from the creation of a grand waterfront park that will serve to bring our urban core closer to the water, providing a magnificent bay front walk along Biscayne Bay,” Gimenez wrote in a letter late Monday to Beckham’s real-estate adviser.

The mayor’s request could significantly shift the soccer debate, which up until now has centered almost exclusively on the port’s southwest corner. That waterfront site has drawn strong opposition from some county commissioners and port interests, led by Royal Caribbean Cruises, which is headquartered next door.

PortMiami is still in play for a possible 25,000-seat, open-air stadium, Gimenez told the Miami Herald. So are other potential sites, including adjacent to the Miami Marlins’ ballpark in Little Havana.

But by formally requesting that Beckham’s group look into filling the slip and report back to the county in two weeks, the mayor is steering negotiations toward an option that had only briefly been discussed nearly six months ago.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/05/...khams.html#.U2hEIocQqVA.twitter#storylink=cpy

After the Gator Day fiasco, maybe Ross should try not to stick his thumb in the eye of UM and its alums. Not sure picking a fight with Donna Shalala is a distraction Ross needs while trying to secure public funding for the Fins' future.

The Fins should leave Joe Robbie stadium as well. The location is not ideal. The Fins should be playing in a stadium near Bayside. Robbie bought the cheapest land available, instead of land that is appealing.
Demolish JRS and build more more low income apartments on the site.

geeeee I wonder why they wanna leave lol

attachmentphpattachmentid688156stc1d1347-1.jpg

hmmmm

Back
Top Bottom