Underestimate the change? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Underestimate the change?

ZOD

Ruler of the Universe
Reaction score
Possibilites should be limitless right now in a Dolfans mind. For two years I've thought this team was doomed from the opening game. As I have mentioned before the thought came to mind after the Ravens/Dolphins 2001 playoff game. The offensive line has been the creator of my woes but unlike some here I'm optimistic about the upcoming season as a result of the 2004 personnel moves. I mostly base the optimism on the fact that at this level a 10yr pro doesn't have some kind of "untapped potential" and that's where we stood a year or two ago. The offensive production could always get worse with this new line but the team wasn't a far cry from that of the Chargers last year. So what's wrong with chance? So many times the production of a line goes without herald that I would like to mention some of the production that we may get a chance to see that hasn't been there in years past.

I've had a chance to observe different players on a field for practice and in game situations. It probably isn't the first time nor will it be the last that you here that the problems that air in practice most often show up in games. The same players have the same problems with different facets of the game. There is a positive side to this measurement too though. That is the fact that different players have different attributes. This measurement lends itself to the Dolphins performance AND predictability.

New personel may mean that a team can do different things than it has done in the past. The new offensive line may present opportunity for the entire offense to excel in areas that we had not in the past. This is no clinic and I'm certainly not qualified to instruct but I think the possibilities that an offensive line creates goes unmentioned all to often.

In pass protection the new offensive line could raise possibilities to be better at any of the following as a unit.

Cut blocking for quick passes.
A power pass block for three step dropbacks.
A two step dropback by the offensive linemen for the five and seven step QB dropbacks.
They may perform a better as a unit in slide protection.

In my opinion the run blocking couldn't be worse than last year. We could have a unit that excels at any or all of the following techniques.

Combination blocks
Angle blocks
Double blocks
Hook blocks
Straight run blocks

At any rate..........It's the guys up front that create the possibilities for the "stars" to make their mark. It's their technique that we will rely on.

Let the Naysayers have their way in the offseason. I'm sitting back waiting on opening day with a :D because we possess a change.

clear.gif

Yea I feel You Zod and Understand all of this. Sadly this off-season has been field with rocks on the way of a path for success as a franchise. We can also hold the power to succeed but as easily we can hold the power to fail. I question the moves of the staff this season including letting dave wannstead stay. Then again Dave kinda
deserves a chance because this guy works his *** off and its always under stress. He isn't a bad coach but his game planning has been needing adjustment for a while which has been not enough adjusted to our franchise needs. I'm very optimistic as well again and with the Aging Roster that we have, I don't see what can happen next.

can one of you give some brief directions on how to add a picture or movie clip to a signature please?

Zod:

All of the skills and techniques you describe are obvious to serious fans like you, but are also common basic knowledge to the Miami coaching staff. The concern is that there is a void of top talent in some key areas on this team. Most noticable is the line. It isn't that they do not know how to do these things, it is that they are not good enough to out perform starting NFL talent.

The changes we have made leave a line full of question marks. You can not say there is one guaranteed stud on the line.

There is much to question and be concernd about. Throw into that the huge gamble we took at WR and QB and this could be an ugly year.

Fin, you are right. This could be an ugly year. But as a fan, how can you not look at it as having the possibility of being a breakout year as well? You could not be more right about the question marks we have, but every question mark is a two sided coin. The changes or question marks on the line could turn out to be a great unit that performs well together, or they could look like an extention of last year's line. Feeley could turn out to be a great move, or he could turn out to be Scott Mitchell. David Boston could be our leading receiver, or he could be on our practice team.

All these question marks are just that. Question marks. But try to look at them as opportunities for this team to improve. You and I and everyone else on this board are just along for the ride, so you might as well enjoy it and try to look at the question marks as opportunites.

PlowHorse34 said:
Fin, you are right. This could be an ugly year. But as a fan, how can you not look at it as having the possibility of being a breakout year as well? You could not be more right about the question marks we have, but every question mark is a two sided coin. The changes or question marks on the line could turn out to be a great unit that performs well together, or they could look like an extention of last year's line. Feeley could turn out to be a great move, or he could turn out to be Scott Mitchell. David Boston could be our leading receiver, or he could be on our practice team.

All these question marks are just that. Question marks. But try to look at them as opportunities for this team to improve. You and I and everyone else on this board are just along for the ride, so you might as well enjoy it and try to look at the question marks as opportunites.

well said "new guy" and welcome.

Zod, I hear ya man.

But it would be just as easy to overestimate the impact of the changes. I haven't taken a position yet on whether we are vastly improved or not. I have a more "show me" attitude than in recent years, probably because the apparent bountiful talent has realised the expectations of fans or media.

I could see us falling anywhere between 4-12 and 14-2 right now. Our off-season, though, seems more like something out of Knotts Landing than something from a professional sports organisation and I find it hard to equate that with a good vibe. It makes good entertainment and fuels debate, but does it make a good football team great?

:confused:

fin-atic said:
Zod:

All of the skills and techniques you describe are obvious to serious fans like you, but are also common basic knowledge to the Miami coaching staff. The concern is that there is a void of top talent in some key areas on this team. Most noticable is the line. It isn't that they do not know how to do these things, it is that they are not good enough to out perform starting NFL talent.

The changes we have made leave a line full of question marks. You can not say there is one guaranteed stud on the line.

I don't think the thrust of my post came quite clear to you. The point is that all of the techniques mentioned are different. While one may not be the greatest at one technique he could certainly excel at another. And while the player does not have "the look" he quite possibly could get the job done in an unorthodox way even better than expected.

Let me try this another way......

Have you ever tried to teach somebody something? You go through all the various drills, use all the tools at your disposal, and even ask others for advice in corrective measures. "Nothing" you committ to yourself will save this man, woman, or child from failure. Placed in the test situation they not only survive but they excel. The "how" is unknown to you. I've always resolved that it's the result of my own pessimism.

So let's get back to your statement. The one where you say that they have not been able to out perform NFL talent. Where do you find that? I doubt that you are refering to Jeno James. I doubt that you are refering Damion Mcintosh. I doubt that you are refering to Vernon Carey. I doubt that you are refering to Wade Smith given the performance in a rookie season.

So who are we talking about? Seth Mckinney? Greg Jerman? Granted it's debatable as to whether they will succeed to the level of coach desires but I would like to ask you some questions given that situation....

How many times did Tim Ruddy make the pro bowl while garnering the starting position? Give me the same stat for Todd Perry's 11 years in the league.

How many superbowl appearances did these two men acquire in there combined 21 years?

At what point did these two men become starters in their careers?

Do you perceive their ability to be irreplaceable?

Do you think Todd Perry (a fourth round draft pick) did not create the doubts that you have of Taylor Whitley (a third round pick) or Greg Jerman (undrafted) when he first started?

Is there doubt that a second round center (Seth Mckinney) cannot replace a second round center (Tim Ruddy)?

BTW...After the Green Bay Packers drafted a can't miss tackle named Tony Mandarich I gave up on guarranteed studs on an offensive line. :D

Am I on to something here? :lol:

Just reviewing some old articles about the Collier thing and I came across some interesting tidbits as it pertains to a change in line play.

More Power Pass blocks.....

"I've been in about every offense and I've been a rhythm thrower," Fiedler said. "I read the defenses quickly. So a three-step, quick-passing game lends itself to my style. The last few years it's been a vertical emphasis. A lot of these concepts emphasize horizontal stretch. Now we want to stretch the defense in every direction."

"The offense is different in a good way," said receiver Kendall Newson, who shined Tuesday and caught a deep pass from Fiedler. "We're getting it out quicker. We're going to hit receivers in stride and quickly get them down the field. It's totally different."

Offensive linemen rave about this Dolphins' offense, believing they won't have to hold their blocks as long with the emphasis on quick release.

"It's basically an offensive lineman's dream," tackle John St. Clair said.

fin-atic said:
Zod:

There is much to question and be concernd about. Throw into that the huge gamble we took at WR and QB and this could be an ugly year.

So then Jeno James is a nobody then right? The second best OG available next to Damien Woody, also had an integral part in protecting Jake Delhomme (a QB with next to no starting experience) and also helping lead one of the leagues most dominating rushing attacks. Give credit where credit is due.

Back
Top Bottom