Unit-by-unit special teams rankings

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by TotoreMexico, Aug 20, 2006.

1. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Member of the 'Owned! Awards' Commitee

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5862990

2. rob19

rob19 Soul Rebel Finheaven VIP Donator

"Return man wes welker is nothing special"=:shakeno:

3. Disnardo

Disnardo Premium Member

Thanks for the link TM...

good read...

4. Atila

Atila Atila - the freshmaker. Finheaven VIP

uhh, they are right, wes welker is SERVICEABLE not but he definately isnt SPECIAL, he isnt even that fast...

5. rob19

rob19 Soul Rebel Finheaven VIP Donator

He isnt the fastest or the strongest, but he gets it done, and has more heart than most players and that makes him SPECIAL, in that way.

6. Miamian

Miamian Hall Of Famer

Wow, is Thomas Magnum a Dolphins fan? :goof:

7. BlitPhinFan

BlitPhinFan Who Took My Floaties?

I guess I will put it this way. http://www.miamidolphins.com/lockerroom/teamroster/playerBio.asp?docid=15849

We have had MUCH worse than Welker as a return guy in our history.

8. Da_Franchise

Da_Franchise Dolfan

Seriously? Welker isn't special? If I am not mistaken Welker recorded the most overall yards in a single-season for an individual in Dolphins history. Including kick-returning, and punt-returning records. Welker isn't the biggest guy, the smartest guy, the strongest, or the fastest. He wasn't a top overall pick, or anything special like that. But down at Texas Tech they breed 'em well. He comes with a HUGE heart and more tenacity than 99.9% of the NFL. Just like the big man Zach Thomas. I don't know what it is, but they've got some boys who die to play this game down there at Texas Tech, and the coaches sure do bring out the best in them.

9. jetsh8r

jetsh8r A True Fan

I think we are missing the key word here which is special. It's like someone saying you r kid isnt special. It sounds offensive, but he is closer to ordinary. Special means that he is in his own class (not the slow class)

10. BlitPhinFan

:hmmm: So, how is being a consistent returner, a good back up at wide receiver, and being able to kick a field goal or extra point not special? Granted I am a fan of Welker since he was brought to this team. But if you want a player that has flexibility to cover multiple roles on a team, surely Welker is special in that regard, right?

11. chrome4

chrome4 All-Star

That is dolphin blasphemy. The ungratefulness of some fin fans. Wes busts his butt day in and day out for this team, and some fans question him. I am tired of Wes's doubters.

12. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

Welker needs to break a few and develop a reputation spanning more than one year. He will reach that "special" title.

On a tangent thought, wonder if Wes can be our 6th or 7th corner and backup that position also?

13. MichaelBusiness

MichaelBusiness Scout Team

well he obviously isn't the flashiest returner, which is what i think the author of that article means

he definately gets the job done but - nothing special

i agree, i got used to seeing devin hester for the canes do it big as the return guy.... ahh i wish the fins had more dominant canes... berlin and carey do not count well ok ill let carey count lol

14. Atila

Atila Atila - the freshmaker. Finheaven VIP

its better than being a blind homer like you.

and i love how DUMB some people are. when did i say i dislike welker? when did i say he doesnt try his hardest, when did i say he isnt a big part of winning football?

i said he is solid returner, but he isnt a daunte hall or desmond howard in their prime or anything warranting to call him a "special" returner.

USE YOUR BRAINS BEFORE YOU POST PLEASE!!!!

15. miaD5499

miaD5499 Pro Bowler

agreed, welker deff gets overlooked possibly because he is 5'9 and white but hes the man and an inspiration to all

16. jhortondj2

jhortondj2 Well-Known Member Donator

"Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone".....like ending a relationship, how much more would it mean if instead, you showed such a respect for all the dedication and hard honest effort that you were able to carry each other to your goal. Try just for a minute to support your team mate, and remember that your greatest memory in life might be that moment when your humility kept you from paving paradise.
    Thank you Wes Welker for everything!!!!!!!!

17. Jimi

Jimi The World Is Yours

Welker really isnt special as a kick returner, hes good but nothing great. Its punt returns where he shines and really is one of the best. Thats why id love to see Vick or som1 take that KR duty over and leave welker to concentrate on his PR and 3rd/4th WR duties.

18. BlitPhinFan

19. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

Exactly, he has all the moves to be the great punt returner that he has been for Miami . . I really have never been impressed with his KO returns tho . . he just does not have that blazing speed to blow past any kickoff coverage. However IMO he is still the best option on returns until we see somebody else step up. I'm hoping Vick is that guy

20. islandah

islandah FinHeaven VIP

I've said it before- it's not Welker's returns that make him good, it's his intelligence, decision-making and consistency. He always makes the right decision on fielding punts and kicks, always fields it cleanly, rarely, if ever fumbles. I can remember watching Dolphin returners for years thinking "Just catch it!", "Don't fumble when you get hit!", "Why'd he let that bounce?" , "Why would you faircatch inside the 10?", etc.

Just last night, Broussard tried to screw up a punt return by letting it bounce. He got a lucky bounce and fielded it, but it could have been a disaster. Wes doesn't do that. Remember last year when he purposefully stuck one foot out of bounds when fielding a kickoff, creating the out of bounds penalty and starting us on the 35? Heads up play as good as a flashy 15 yard return. No, I'll take Wes over a flashy Devin Hester type any day, cause in the end, the flashy guy will make more negative plays as productive ones.