Universal Draft on the Sun Sentinel Week 6 - Combine News & Nolan's Defense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Universal Draft on the Sun Sentinel Week 6 - Combine News & Nolan's Defense

That SOLB spot would JT be considered. I know he played Safety when he was young and is most def. suited to passrush but what about covering TE....i not sure what you think?

it was a nice read....like the info about the defence but we still need a WR

Ozzy rules!!

The Dolphins went into the season with Cover 4 personnel but in practice didn't really seem to play it very much. In fact, what it looked like to me is they ended up playing a lot of single high safety with Sean Smith in up-man coverage and Vontae in off zone, with the linebackers rolling that way in underneath zones (they seemed to do less of this as the season went on, but maybe that's just my imagination). Now I understand this sort of coverage goes to both corners' strengths. Smith still has trouble driving routes when he plays off and we all saw Vontae's disturbing tendency to lose his balance, fall down or mis-play the ball in man to man last year.

They also seemed to start the season with Wilson at FS and Bell at SS and I noticed down the stretch a lot of plays where they switched this up when they were both in the game, which seemed to improve the play of both. I've always thought Bell should be playing FS anyway. He's got the instincts and the speed. When Clemons would come in he always played FS that I could see. Bell moved back to SS in these situations, which were almost always early downs.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if these were trends or just odd occurrences.

Either way, it seems clear that Nolan does things differently. His use of Hill, who's better in coverage than in run support, seems to bear this out. I'd also wager that in Nolan's system we also won't see safeties leading the team in tackles.

You obviously know a lot more than this than I do. Is Nolan's tendency to play a lot more cover 2, safeties back? I know he's a pressure guy, which seems to suggest more of a rush 5, drop 6 in zone coverage configuration. Smith still doesn't seem comfortable in zone, so you've got to wonder what that's going to do to him.

Sheesh. What a long offseason! So many questions!

i thought McClain would be our guy at #12. I also like Spiller but I'm hoping we end up with Sean Weatherspoon. That dude's a football player.

i'm well aware that every prospect has warts but spoon did have some stiffness in pass rush drills yesterday...

i think he's a little bit overrated to be honest...he's not a top 20 pick to me

I have a real nagging suspicion about him. If Miami were interested in Dustin Keller, were interested in Percy Harvin, are interested in Dorin Dickerson and Dexter McCluster, they want guys that present mismatch opportunities and change the ways that defenses face the team. C.J. Spiller does that too.

I said this before but I think it's a 50/50 chance Ronnie ends up traded.

for a 2nd round pick i'd trade ronnie in a heartbeat...the rb crop is deep in this draft...we can get a good one if we traded ronnie who may not spend half the season on ir every year...

my choice ben tate auburn...love him

unless spiller was in play

for a 2nd round pick i'd trade ronnie in a heartbeat...the rb crop is deep in this draft...we can get a good one if we traded ronnie who may not spend half the season on ir every year...

my choice ben tate auburn...love him

unless spiller was in play

Chargers would be a logical partner. They generally like to build through the draft (what was it, like 20 of their 22 starters were acquired through the draft?), but Ryan Matthews might be moving away from their grasp at the bottom of round 1, and even he is almost totally unproven in the passing game.

Chargers would be a logical partner. They generally like to build through the draft, but Ryan Matthews might be moving away from their grasp at the bottom of round 1.

you're not getting a 1st for ronnie brown...not happening

a mid to late 2nd would be the best i can see...

you're not getting a 1st for ronnie brown...not happening

a mid to late 2nd would be the best i can see...

No, I meant for their second. I agree, no way we get anyone's first.

No, I meant for their second. I agree, no way we get anyone's first.

i can see that...and i'd either take ben tate there or hope he fell to pick #74...i know sparano LOVED his pass pro in 1 on 1 drills at the senior bowl...

The worry I think with trading Ronnie is what it does to Ricky. He very publicly and vocally was upset when Ronnie got hurt. Not just because he and Ronnie are friends, but because he doesn't want the spotlight or the workload that goes with being the #1. He also very noticeably wore down once he got the main job. By the Texans and Steelers games he didn't have much left.

I agree with everyone about Tate. He's one of those guys who doesn't really stand out in one area but does everything well enough to get on the field and be productive. We always sort of expect Auburn running backs to be elite but Auburn really hasn't been the same the last few years and the offensive line wasn't great in the games I saw.

But I don't think, whatever you think of Tate, he's going to step in and let Ricky stay in his preferred #2 spot. I guess I just worry the guy will up and retire rather than face a full season as the top guy. I know he's got like three or four women he has to pay child support to but still, it's a concern.

what's up with brandon grahams arms now being listed at 2 inches longer than they were at the senior bowl??? is the new listed measurement of 32 inches plus accurate??? cause those 30 inch arms were the only concerns i had at the nfl level...

all i can say is i hope we can land dansby friday...we need him bad and this ilb group in the draft is very thin imo...

if we do get dansby i think i'm leaning with brandon graham now at pick #12...i love everson griffen but i just don't think i can trust him like i know i can brandon graham and graham does seem to fit the mike nolan defensive breakdown better...

i also think graham will be on the board at pick #12...i just wish i could have seen him in lb drills at the combine...

rickys leaving next year anyways...if he doesn't want to play if ronnie is dealt then he can leave...he's not gonna help us long term anyways...

if ricky doesn't want to be part of the rotation we could roll with tate or whoever we draft hilliard and cobbs...rb is one of the easiest positions to come in and contribute right away and we know tate's pass pro is nfl ready so we can trust him to pick up blitzes and keep henne clean...unlike so many of these other draft rbs...

i think ricky would stick it out 1 more year even if ronnie was dealt...that's my feeling...dude needs money

Back
Top Bottom