Update: Dolphins on the Verge of acquiring Jones | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Update: Dolphins on the Verge of acquiring Jones

I certainly understand people's scepticism. But I think FinzManiac is right on. He's trying to find cheap or relatively cheap guys he can use in his system until he can draft the way he wants. He's only got 5 picks this year, and it's tough to rebuild a team with 5 picks. Remember when JJ went about it, he must have drafted 20 guys in his first two years. Saban would have to trade out of the number 2 spot 3 times to end up with 8 or 9 picks, and there's no guarantee he'll be able to trade. Remember how New England put that 2001 Super Bowl team together: cheap free agents. I think Nick's just getting effective stop-gap types of players that will fit his plan, then replace them piecemeal over the next 2-5 years with his own drafted players. We've got to keep in mind he can't re-do everything in year one, and I bet he also feels he needs to win some now to get people on board with what he's doing. If he goes 3-13 his first year, you'll hear a lot of "college coach can't do it in the pros" cries, and he may lose out on free agents and lose his current team. He needs to improve some to maybe 7-9/8-8, and people will buy into him.
Just my 3 cents.

Phinsfan1980 said:
I am glad Saban is making the final say.... Spielman probably wants to trade JT and surtain plus our 3rd pick for Jones and bottle of ketchup.

...and throw in a future 2nd rounder for their 3rd string Qb.

KillerJosh373 said:
I'm starting to get a little worried. So far Saban isn't really rebuilding he's just getting old players that other teams dont want. Hopefully I'll look like an idiot for ever questioning Saban's strategy, but he's given a 31 year old DE a huge contract (after he already signed Vonnie Holiday) and is now supposedly on the verge of trading a draft pick (hopefully only a 6th or 7th) for a 30 year old safety. This isnt rebuilding, this is replacing overrated, old players with more overrated, old players (Honestly Carter hasnt been a great player since St. Louis and Tebucky hasnt done **** for the Aints). We shouldnt be trading away any more draft picks and we shouldnt be giving over the hill players big front loaded contracts in Free Agency, last time I checked that is a formula for failure. Saban better be the genius everyone says he is when it comes to Xs and Os and he better make some excellent picks in the draft, because I havent been impressed so far by his free agent signings or any of the Dolphin's rumored aquisitions (Tebucky, Howard)

2 year deals. think a little more would ya? this is transitional stuff. It will all come down to scheme. We need a safety. Get a clue.

KillerJosh373 said:
I'm starting to get a little worried. So far Saban isn't really rebuilding he's just getting old players that other teams dont want. Hopefully I'll look like an idiot for ever questioning Saban's strategy, but he's given a 31 year old DE a huge contract (after he already signed Vonnie Holiday) and is now supposedly on the verge of trading a draft pick (hopefully only a 6th or 7th) for a 30 year old safety. This isnt rebuilding, this is replacing overrated, old players with more overrated, old players (Honestly Carter hasnt been a great player since St. Louis and Tebucky hasnt done **** for the Aints). We shouldnt be trading away any more draft picks and we shouldnt be giving over the hill players big front loaded contracts in Free Agency, last time I checked that is a formula for failure. Saban better be the genius everyone says he is when it comes to Xs and Os and he better make some excellent picks in the draft, because I havent been impressed so far by his free agent signings or any of the Dolphin's rumored aquisitions (Tebucky, Howard)

Carter has been playing tackle for Tennessee, that's why he seems like he hasn't been as good, but he has been a force on their d-line. Tebucky was the leading tackler for the Saints, which says one of two things: 1) their front 7 sucks and 2) a safety had to take up all the slack. maybe the reason he gets no turnovers is because he always has to make the tackles.

Saban's signing have been cheaper replacement of current broken parts

Tillman, Spragan, Holliday are at a cheap price Carter's deal is backloaded (go back a few pages, there's been some threads on this)

and remember- defensive playerstend to last longer than ofeensive player- so we can still get 4 good years out of a 10th season DLmen

Phinsfan1980 said:
I am glad Saban is making the final say.... Spielman probably wants to trade JT and surtain plus our 3rd pick for Jones and bottle of ketchup.

Get over it...:rolleyes:

T. Jones sucks... I don't like this trade.

Remember, this is FA.

EVERY move we make in FA is ostensibly going to be a pickup of an "old" player. No one is releasing the Dwight Freeneys, Stephen Jacksons, or Julius Peppers. The rookie contracts are usually for 4-7 years, and even then the good ones are resigned. We're a relatively young team.

What sets us apart from the other teams is how much we're SPENDING on these "older" players and WHO we're getting. I don't think we're overspending at all and we're grabbing solid, versatile players. We didn't sign the big-name, overpriced FAs like Jennings or Rolle, which is a positive more than a negative.

But yes, every time we sign a FA, it opens us up to the "getting older" argument... but just realize FA is inherently just that and it's all about who you get and for how much. Smart moves in the draft is how you get younger.

Maybe those of you that are sceptical forgot that we have no cap room and as far as Jones, we have no safeties. The free agent market wasn't a great one this year either. Saban is bringing in people that he believes fits into his scheme. And to be honest these contracts are worthless.

Holliday and Tillman are getting like minimum. Spragan came real cheap and Carter is only like a mil to 3 in the first two years.

KillerJosh373 said:

Tunnel vision. I don't think you see the whole picture. You build thru the draft. Saban has said that. But, we don't have 4 years to wait for those we draft to learn the system and grow. So you get decent players (albeit old) who don't break the cap. Then draft your key spots. The rookies will be ready to go, once your older players begin to lose it, or get good and want more money. A 6-7th rounder for a starting safety? Doesn't seem too bad to me. Saban knows what he's doing and I see nothing wrong with spending a 2nd pick on a starter.

We don't have money for stars, and secondly, a team system does not need or want stars. No stars in NE (Brady became a star after 3 SB wins) and maybe 1-2 guys on D. But no true top dollar stars. When they do get big BB lets them walk. They would ruin the team and the cap, etc. So while you may not see or agree with what Saban is doing, it's because you can't see or don't like his bigger picture.

finsnchips said:
Carter's is backloaded.... he is legit for 2 years, maybe 3 if he impresses.

Holliday's is backloaded and could restructure or get cut next year.

Tillman is a young project with a cheap contract, and I still cant believe we got Spragan for so little.

I appreciate the concern that others have expressed, but I think Saban wants to implement an effective system straight away, over years to come he will add young defensive players thru the draft and FA that can come in a learn the system and be installed into it, but can see it in effect. Look at the Pats, guys like Asante Samuel, Randall Gay and Earthwind Moreland have come in and excelled on that D.

I think you're exactly right. At first, I thought he would draft and gather young players to then implement his system next year, etc. But it seems to me now, that he's going to get the guys (old/young) that fit his scheme and we'll being see a huge difference in our defensive style this year. Like you said, the system will be in place when the young guys get on board instead of trying to do this with a bunch of inexperienced guys next year. I think we need to give him some time before we start judging his moves. Everyone that's seen him coach seem to say the same thing about there always being a method to his madness.

If your a new coach, obviously your system better be in play from the second u sign that contract.

dolfreak said:
If your a new coach, obviously your system better be in play from the second u sign that contract.
that wasn't my point.

My point is that he is getting solid veterans in that are good fits for his system rather than just chucking what he has got in, overpaying for younger FAs or getting numerous rookies over the next few years.

Back
Top Bottom