Updated Miami Dolphins Depth Chart - Defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Updated Miami Dolphins Depth Chart - Defense

fishfanmiami

Let's go Dolphins
Administrator
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Good break down of our D including the new free agents. Also an interview with Odrick talking lossing weight and the new logo.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/dolphins-blog/sfl-updated-miami-dolphins-depth-chart-defense-20130320,0,1748295.story

CB: Starters - Richard Marshall, Brent Grimes Dimitri Patterson. Backups - Nolan Carroll, R.J. Stanford, Julian Posey, De’Andre Presley
Breakdown: The Dolphins have decent depth at cornerback with the addition of Grimes, and some intriguing projects in Stanford, Posey and Presley to work with. But the position lacks a cornerback who can cover the Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson types of the league. Carroll, the tallest member of this unit, has struggled in his two-years as a fill-in starter. Marshall and Patterson are both more suited to play the nickel spot than on the boundary. The Dolphins need to have three reliable cornerback, and the unit must get younger, taller and more athletic.
What now: Before signing Grimes, who is still rehabbing an Achilles injury, to a one-year deal Saturday morning the Dolphins planned to double-down on the position in the draft, selecting two cornerback early just like the team did in 2009 when Miami took Vontae Davis and Sean Smith in the same draft class. FSU cornerback Xavier Rhodes and Washington's Desmond Trufant are two realistic options for the No. 12 pick. Miami would have to trade up for Alabama's Dee Milliner. Houston's D.J. Hayden, LSU's Tharold Simon, North Carolina State's David Amerson, Boise State's Jamar Taylor, Oregon State's Jordan Poyer, Mississippi State's Darius Slay and Johnthan Banks, and Connecticut's Blidi Wreh-Wilson and Dwayne Gratz are option in the later rounds, so the Dolphins might not be in a rush to take a cornerback on day one. Cornerback is one of this draft's few deep positions by Ireland's standards.

and yes it's from Omar but please don't shoot the messenger
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess Odrick Losing weight means phins may keep him at DE this year and FA DE visits may be a smokescreen once again. Look for DE in the draft but looks like a top DE wont fall to us at #12.

So now looking like LT trade up, maybe take CB, or trade down to 20s and pick up another second rounder.

Odrick says he's down about 5 lbs but could lose more if asked to. I still think we draft a pass rushing DE to compliment Wake and move Odrick inside on pass downs like last year.

I like Odrick... 'I really do' :) but he's an interior DLman and I'd rather move him inside now especially with the fact that both Starks and Soliai will be free agents next year and that we've lost McDaniel - get him inside now, get the reps and start working the inside.

I'd much rather have more speed on the outside and grabbing someone like Freeny for 1 year and he can help teach some stuff to the youngers like Vernon [although I still think he'd be a better linebacker] and Kaddu and whomever they draft this year [I'm hoping Carradine].

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Odrick... 'I really do' :) but he's an interior DLman and I'd rather move him inside now especially with the fact that both Starks and Soliai will be free agents next year and that we've lost McDaniel - get him inside now, get the reps and start working the inside.
[I'm hoping Carradine].

Something to be considered for sure.

Nice even keeled assessment. We were more of a bend but don't break defense last year who was very stout in the red zone. Our big physical LB's stuffed the run and our DB's made life difficult on the WR's when there was no fear of being beaten deep.

This year will kinda be the opposite. Speed LB's can pressure the QB and get rushed and errant throws, and fast and opportunitistic CB's like Grimes (and I expect to draft similar turnover-producing CB in the draft) will gamble a good deal more and produce a lot more takeaways.

The 2012 Miami Dolphins set 2 records last year. 1) Most passing yards by a rookie QB. 2) Least takeaways by a Miami Dolphins defense ever.

I expect those two things to be the base from which we build. By adding to the passing game with Wallace and arguably Keller and Gibson, we're addressing point 1. By swapping out our non-takeaway LB's and CB for faster more opportunisitic players in Wheeler, Ellerbe and Grimes, we are addressing point 2.

This is another in the surprisingly decent articles by Omar Kelly recently. Maybe he's turning over a new leaf? Keep up the hard work Omar, we haven't given up hope on you.

This is another in the surprisingly decent articles by Omar Kelly recently. Maybe he's turning over a new leaf? Keep up the hard work Omar, we haven't given up hope on you.

it is a good article but let's not get carried away my friend :lol:

i think we should draft 2 cbs and release patterson

I agree. I think we should cut Patterson. Trade up in the draft for milliner(trade #12, 2B, and 2014 4th.
Then with our other 2nd round pick draft OT ( unless we trade for one or pick up Winston ) if that happens DE would be the way to go.

3A-DE
3B- Wr swope or Rb Andre Ellington

Good break down of our D including the new free agents. Also an interview with Odrick talking lossing weight and the new logo.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/dolphins-blog/sfl-updated-miami-dolphins-depth-chart-defense-20130320,0,1748295.story

CB: Starters - Richard Marshall, Brent Grimes Dimitri Patterson. Backups - Nolan Carroll, R.J. Stanford, Julian Posey, De’Andre Presley
Breakdown: The Dolphins have decent depth at cornerback with the addition of Grimes, and some intriguing projects in Stanford, Posey and Presley to work with. But the position lacks a cornerback who can cover the Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson types of the league. Carroll, the tallest member of this unit, has struggled in his two-years as a fill-in starter. Marshall and Patterson are both more suited to play the nickel spot than on the boundary. The Dolphins need to have three reliable cornerback, and the unit must get younger, taller and more athletic.
What now: Before signing Grimes, who is still rehabbing an Achilles injury, to a one-year deal Saturday morning the Dolphins planned to double-down on the position in the draft, selecting two cornerback early just like the team did in 2009 when Miami took Vontae Davis and Sean Smith in the same draft class. FSU cornerback Xavier Rhodes and Washington's Desmond Trufant are two realistic options for the No. 12 pick. Miami would have to trade up for Alabama's Dee Milliner. Houston's D.J. Hayden, LSU's Tharold Simon, North Carolina State's David Amerson, Boise State's Jamar Taylor, Oregon State's Jordan Poyer, Mississippi State's Darius Slay and Johnthan Banks, and Connecticut's Blidi Wreh-Wilson and Dwayne Gratz are option in the later rounds, so the Dolphins might not be in a rush to take a cornerback on day one. Cornerback is one of this draft's few deep positions by Ireland's standards.

and yes it's from Omar but please don't shoot the messenger
:)

GO FOR TWO...corners that is.............

Back
Top Bottom