Verner has a shot at starting job | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Verner has a shot at starting job

Snoop

Active Roster
Reaction score
Well wouldn't be the first time Maxwell is benched in Miami. Lol this defense is a disaster. By the way trading Maxwell clears $8.5 Million in cap space with zero dead money, that's an extra 8.5M to carry over to next year plus $10 million off the books in 2018. Ship him off for a 7th for all I care, he's stealing money right now.

This teams needs so much help, corner, guard, DT, take your pick and trade Landry for one of them.

http://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/27/dolphins-verner-has-a-shot-at-winning-starting-cb-job/

Heading into the last preseason game of 2017, the Miami Dolphins still have some players competing for starting positions. Apparently, the cornerback spot opposite Xavien Howard is one of the positions up for grabs for the Dolphins.

On Sunday, Dolphins head coach Adam Gase said after practice not only are the Dolphins are going to look at different cornerback alignments against the Minnesota Vikings on Thursday night, but Alterraun Verner has an opportunity to win the starting job because of what he has shown on the field.

“Consistency,” Gase said. “Knows what to do. He has been a pro since the day he’s got here. Competitive, he’s is always as tight as you need him to be. He’s makes it really tough for the quarterback. I really liked what I have seen him, I know the defensive staff has as well. For signing him as late as he did, we feel really good for where he’s at right now.”

Sounds more like coachspeak to me.

And, with the injury to Lippett, would be tough to straight up cut a potential starter/depth corner.

Maxwell was our best corner last year. I'm not shipping him off over a bad preseason game.

Howard was as a rookie until injury. And that's not much to brag about considering his peers on defense last year.

He also started out like **** and then fared better as the season progressed. Wonder why? There were easier weaknesses to attack.

Howard was as a rookie until injury. And that's not much to brag about considering his peers on defense last year.

He also started out like **** and then fared better as the season progressed. Wonder why? There were easier weaknesses to attack.

If verner is better than he will show it and be in the line up but Maxwell has been the target of a lot of criticism around here because of his salary. I thought he did a pretty good job last year after his benching

Some guys just aren't practice/preseason guys. I'll reserve judgement for regular season.

Maxwell certainly has a tendency to get beat, but he also has a tendency to make plays.... something this defense is sorely deficient in. We need Maxwell this year, but hopefully were in a position to move on next year.

I saw the eagles game too but not ready to concede the defense is a disaster anymore than i would call them excellent if they had a good game.

If this is true then they should cut maxwell. You don't pay a guy what he's making to be a non starter on the boundary.

Teams already paper thin on the boundary. Without lippett I don't see how we cut maxwell

Verner is our smallest CB and yet by far the best in run support, but that is about it. Maxwell isn't going anywhere. Maxwell was ranked the 10th best CB in the league last year by PFF.

Maxwell, should be replaced by Verner or by anyone, Maxwell isn't aggressive and takes to many chances in coverage, he talk like he's a big time baller but he's really soft.

Maxwell, should be replaced by Verner or by anyone, Maxwell isn't aggressive and takes to many chances in coverage, he talk like he's a big time baller but he's really soft.

He isn't aggressive but...takes too many chances? Isn't that a bit of a contradiction?

Back
Top Bottom