VERY interesting quote by Mike Florio(PFT) on Sedano's show yesterday

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SuperMarksBros., Aug 12, 2010.

1. SuperMarksBros.

SuperMarksBros. Formerly Fiedler for MVP

They were talking about last saturday's scrimmage, and Sedano asked if the offense is not as good as advertised, if the defense is better than advertised, or if its just early and the D is usually ahead of the offense this time of year. Florio's response:

"Theres a chance that the miami offense scrimmagged against the best defense its going to see all year"

Discuss.

2. ArmyFin7

ArmyFin7 U cry about the $$$, we do the dirtywork

Junc in 5...

3. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

hmmmm, intriguing.. sounds like some psychosis ****

4. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

:lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

Do I even need to comment on that?

5. Myles Fynch

Myles Fynch durka durka

It's only a scrimmage, but it's entirely possible. Last season's defense suffered a number of key injuries, started two rookie corners, and had a DC who from time to time let his brain slip out of his skull and fall all the way down to his ***. Two of the previous key defenders, Porter & Taylor, both saw their play slip, putting even more pressure on the rookie CBs.

This year, we have what we believe to be a strong draft class which was almost exclusively used on defense, in conjunction with the addition of a very well regarded defensive coordinator. For the first time in I don't know how many years we have a stud at WR, which should help our offense be less predictable (hence more effective) and give the defense an added chance to stay fresh.

Why wouldn't we field a (eventually, say early to mid-season) great defense in 2010?

6. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Donator

Isnt there enough hype about you're own team to keep you busy on your own freakin' boards...

7. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

All i know is the defense has improved drastically, the jury is still out on our young secondary but the addition of Mike Nolan will make a huge impact this season for everyone on the D. Paul Pasqualoni was absolute garbage. The defense looks aggressive for a change. The whole defensive scheme is different. I honestly think were gonna surprise alot of people on this side of the ball this year.

8. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

There's no doubt the D will be better, you have a much better DC, dansby in the middle of the D was a great pickup but I'm skpetical about this D being one of the top 10 in the league. We'll see.

9. SuperMarksBros.

Top 5 overall defenses in 2007:
    1.Steelers
    2.Bucs
    3.Colts
    4.Patriots
    5.Titans

Top 5 overall defenses in 2008:
    1.Steelers
    2.Ravens
    3.Eagles
    4.Redskins
    5.Giants

Top 5 overall defenses in 2009:
    1.Jets
    2.Packers
    3.Ravens
    4.Bengals
    5.Steelers

No turnover there! I'm sure the Jets, possibly without their best defensive/overall player, are a lock to be top 5 again.

10. NJPhinFan21

NJPhinFan21 Scout Team

hey theres a shocker for ya huh. I def think this Defense is top 5 in the league. But hey, lets keep talking up the Jets D....Without Revis your D will have its hands full to say the least

11. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

We'll be a top 5 D w/ or w/o Revis but we won;t be a great D w/o Revis. We weren't great last year but w/ a healthy jenkins back and w/ the additions I think we will be great assuming revis comes back. You guys will be better but saying that could be the best D your O faces all year is silly.

12. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

were still gonna beat you twice

13. Ruby2

Ruby2 Rookie

The Fins defense may be vastly improved upon from last year but to say that it is the best D the Fins offense will face all year in a scrimmage game is just comical.

And besides, we all know Florio is an idiot anyway.

14. Myles Fynch

Myles Fynch durka durka

He's smarter than your head coach. He knows you need Revis to get where you want to go.

15. Ruby2

Ruby2 Rookie

Mike Florio is not smarter than any head coach.

And Rex knows that the Jets need Revis, but what the hell is he supposed to say, "Pack it in boys, seasons over"?

lol

16. Orlando Fan

Orlando Fan Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with junc it's too early to know for sure, However when they play the Buc's this Saturday, hopfully alot of questions about the team in general will become more clear. As for the Jets D. I expect it to be in the top 10.

17. SuperMarksBros.

a healthy jenkins? good luck with that. the whole thing really hinges on Revis, especiailly with Ryan's pressure defense. You DO NOT want to see what #1 WR's will do on cromartie island. The list of top WRs the jets will face this year is even more ridiculous than last year.

18. where's th'fish

where's th'fish Scout Team Donator

Florio is a law guy. He doesn't know ANY football. Not to bring him down, he's an excellent journalist. But if you're going to listen to him on the football end of things, we might as well bring back Culpepper. Florio thinks he's a starting QB in this league.

19. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

We can't seriously consider ourselves a top flight defense based off 2 weeks of TC and a scrimmage game. Those waiting to see the defense play against Tampa, don't be to disappointed if they don't do a lot of stunting or showing many exotic blitz packages.

20. Predaphin

Predaphin Predator in the Water

I'm confused by this statement. Did he mean this is the best defense you are going to see all year for the entire league? Or did he mean this is as good as our defense is going to get all year?

21. X-Pacolypse

X-Pacolypse A True Fan

Just put him on ignore. I did, the guy is a nimrod who constantly contradicts himself every time he posts.

22. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

the best defense WE will play against all year.. meaning we should be able to handle every teams defense we play against because we scrimmage against the best defense we play

23. fiftyofhaze

fiftyofhaze the entire organization

all the hype the tv show and no revis is bringing the jets is bad for business...they are the new favre watch...its pathetic...week 1 vs bmore will be an early sign of the jets demise.

24. Predaphin

Predaphin Predator in the Water

thanks

25. nerfball

nerfball A True Fan

key to defensive success in the NFL... QB pressure. period. If you cannot get to the QB, force adjustments by the offense, you will lose way more than you win. You think we win the games against the Colts and Saints last year if we manage even decent pressure from the d-line? We often use the secondary as scapegoats, but it all starts up front with dominant d-linemen. I think The Fins will be much improved there and the new blitzing schemes will make a difference in making the Miami defense harder to prep for and taking a lot of pressure off the secondary. cant wait to see what happens.

26. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan Perennial All-Pro

we are going to be playing so very good defense's and if our secondary can hold up and not give up big plays then i think we will be a top defense in the NFL as long as we stay healthy i could see us going deep into the playoffs

27. Dolfandenny

Dolfandenny Starter

If the Jets were #1 in defence last season and we beat them twice then I think Miami offence was pretty good. Now with marshall on board and a few other players we should be fine. The upgrades too the defence was the biggest change and everyone knows defence wins games.

28. sharp

sharp Scout Team

anyone see the espn training camp report today?

After the interviews, Bruschi said you know losing a guy like Porter and Taylor, especially Porter who averages 10 sacks a season and produces so much. Then says we had the worst 4th quarter D last year, and losing porter would be terrible. It's basically like he was hating/saying we were bad with porter. Then he said Wake was good in the CFL (like he didnt play last season) and talks down Misi.

29. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

You just did.

Care to comment on what was on ESPN yesterday? Specifically, Rexie's pleading with Revis to come to camp and chat.... smells like desperation to me.

30. baseballcb95

baseballcb95 A True Fan

Without Revis, the jets literally have no shot. Their team is based off defense, he is unquestionably the best player on the defense and allows others to do what they need to do. The Jets have an average defense without revis, their QB is below average by NFL standards at this point in his career, and their run game is good, that doesnt scream playoffs to me..

31. PhinsPhan11

PhinsPhan11 Phins & Philly Sports

The defense has improved by a lot, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

32. thefranchisedef

thefranchisedef A True Fan

there are alot of people coming around and fast... keep talking about your jets.. miami has a better offense. WAY better offense!!! brandon marshall> jets best reciever, ronnie brown/ricky williams> Shonn Greene/ Ladanian "washed up" Tomlinson, Jake Long/ Vernon Carey> Ferguson/ Woody, Lousaka Polite> Richardson, and the best for last........................................ Chad Henne>>>>>>> Mark Sanchez..

If the jets are gonna beat the dolphins, they are gonna have to perform some serious magic... 3-0

33. thekidd

thekidd Rookie

I'm optimistic for our defense as well but let's get serious here, there is no way our defense is going to be the best defense we play all year. Randy Starks is playing out of position at NT, not that he can't be a good nose tackle, but we already lost one of our de's for the season and this will hurt our depth on the d-line. We didn't address the safety position in the draft, however, we did cut Gibril Wilson.

Dansby is a huge upgrade at Lb and should be a good leader on D as well. The addition of Mike Nolan should help us improve but the big question mark for me about this defense is can we put pressure on the quarterback? People like to say **** Joey Porter and Jason Taylor but those guys could get after the quarterback and other teams took notice of Porter. Not that either of them were great last year but now we will be relying on Wake and a rookie Misi to replace them and I'm not to sure how they will do. I'm hoping they can get the job done but only time will tell. The secondary has to be better this year but if we can't get pressure on the qb it won't matter.

34. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

[​IMG]

No shot to win the SB? maybe but we'll still have a top D in this league and a great shot to be a playoff team. This is not a one man team, he is our best player and we'll need him to get to where we want to go but to act like we will fall apart w/o him is silly.

35. DisturbedShifty

DisturbedShifty Wort-wort-wort!!! Administrator Finheaven VIP

I have noticed lately that you are saying that a lot. Why is that? Are you trying not to get caught up in your teams high expectations for themselves?

36. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

The comment above was in regards to the Jets w/o revis. W/ Revis I expect we'll be a serious contender for a SB, w/o him I think we can still compete but making a deep January-February run will be difficult w/o our best player.

I am not calling this a SB or bust year, I think this team w/ Revis has a good shot to do some great things this season but the SB is a long way off. I want them to get off to a good start and wint he division before I satrt worrying about the SB. If this is going to be a SB year I want to enjoy the ride. I've waited almost 30 years for a SB and all the miserable seasons and disappointing losses will all have been worth it if we can win one.

37. DisturbedShifty

DisturbedShifty Wort-wort-wort!!! Administrator Finheaven VIP

Eh, ok. Pretty much what I figured.

38. zackmandude63

zackmandude63 Poconos Phinatic!

we drafted Jones, and signed Douglas and Grant