Victory makes Aztecs eligible for bowl game | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Victory makes Aztecs eligible for bowl game

X-Pacolypse

Active Roster
Reaction score
I guarantee you, there isn't a day that goes by in Alburquerque that the New Mexico faithful don't kick themselves for letting Rocky Long go.

While he was hardly a world beater, he DID have them perennially playing for bowl games and hardly embarrassed himself on and off the field like Mike Locksley has.

He's quickly become Brady Hoke's right hand man and the Aztecs are bowl eligible and going to finish in the top 3-4 in the MWC for the first time in quite some time.

I guarantee you, there isn't a day that goes by in Alburquerque that the New Mexico faithful don't kick themselves for letting Rocky Long go.

While he was hardly a world beater, he DID have them perennially playing for bowl games and hardly embarrassed himself on and off the field like Mike Locksley has.

He's quickly become Brady Hoke's right hand man and the Aztecs are bowl eligible and going to finish in the top 3-4 in the MWC for the first time in quite some time.

Funny thing is Locksley was a guy many felt deserved a HC chance cause of his work as an OC and his recruiting ability. Problem is, Locksley is a DC guy. His best success was at Maryland and getting DC guys like Vontae Davis,Martez Wilson, and Arrelious Benn to go to Illinois. It's almost impossible to get guys from DC/Virginia/Maryland to go to a mid level program out west like New Mexico. In going to New Mexico, he lost his biggest asset in recruiting.

Thats why programs look to hire guys with experience and roots to an area. Greg Robinson failed in Syracuse because he knew nothing of the area (and he didn't recruit). Doug Marone has them going to a bowl game. Ron English, while the record isn't there yet, is really got Eastern Michigan playing tough. Mike Haywood almost had Miami U beat Florida early this year.

Bottom line, if you aren't a great strategist as a coach, you damn well better be a great recruiter.

Props to Hoke for getting SDSU turned around hopefully for good.

Before all of today's games started The Mtn West (TCU, Utah, Air Force, & SD St) has more Bowl eligible teams than the Big Least (Syracuse). I wonder if they'll rethink the AQ bids?

Doesn't matter Univ of Utah is moving to the PAC. :chuckle:

The WVU team that thumped OU in the Fiesta Bowl is the best team the big east will ever field.

Now talks are that Brady Hoke is the front runner at Indiana and Vanderbilt, and also is being strongly looked at by Minnesota.

Sadly, I don't think he's long for SDSU.

Back
Top Bottom