Video- every Tannehill throw vs the Jets

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, Sep 28, 2012.

1. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

2. studsatele

studsatele Starter Super Donator Donator

I see an inexperienced QB, who has tons of potential. Needs to work on some accuracy, but at times every QB looks inaccurate. However he has zero help from his WR. No disrespect to Bess and Hartline, but when those 2 are ur best WR, especially in the day and age, with a very inexperienced QB you're in deep trouble.

3. betadog

betadog Well-Known Member

He's not scanning the field but what is just ridiculous is the lack of separation the receivers get. Not defending his poor passes but on a slant none can really get out of press coverage? Also how about once in a while throwing the ball or running patterns that cover more than three yards.

4. Strangeworld

Strangeworld A True Fan

looks bad

5. finfanaz

finfanaz A True Fan

The thing that stands out most to me is the obvious/bad play calling in certain situations. Both FG drives and when we were backed in our endzone. Didn't like it at all..

6. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

I keep thinking abut this play on the link below as a template to the QB/WR situation. Landry, even though he slightly stumbles, has enough time to read Tannehill, diagnose the play in his zone, come up from behind Fasano and get in front of him to make the pick 6. Even though the CB- I think it's Cromartie- is tracking the WR in a fly pattern he has enough time to run with him while he's glancing back at Tannehill and makes a quick move back to Fasano just after the throw is made to him. I still would have preferred that Tannehill go deep on that play (who is that WR covered by Cromartie?) but Cromartie is clearly the better athlete and the WR doesn't deserve all that much respect from him. I'd still rather see Chris Hogan and Rishard Matthews out there- the grass may always be greener, but at least they looked like they could separate as opposed to the WRs in there now.

Same problem- Bess and Hartline are decent when decent isn't good enough. The rest are below average.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GquYCGptIwU

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

Yeah, I wouldn't exactly refer to the play calling as inspired. Going over all of Tannehill's throws, it all looked pretty vanilla.

7. FinfanInBuffalo

FinfanInBuffalo Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

On the last throw to Hartline, why does Hartline slow up at the 16 yard line? If he runs that route without the stutter, he catches it at the 2.

8. CRIOS

CRIOS PERFECT PHINS '72 Finheaven VIP Donator

Thanks and no thanks for the video post. Thanks for assuring me (again) that Tannenhill will be the QB of the future for the Fins. No thanks for showing me the kicker's failed attempts.

Our kicker deserves a swift kick in the nuts! Every player should have taken turns kicking the guy's balls after the game. What a kook!

9. wonderl33t

wonderl33t FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I think it's clear that his best ability is extending the play and throwing on the run. His field vision and progressions need some work. I think that will come with time.

10. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

I'm hoping for good things from Tannehill, but I wasn't impressed after going through his throws 1 by 1. No doubt he's a smart guy with size, brains
    and a good arm, but imo he still has something to prove in terms of his football IQ and to a lesser extent his accuracy. His book coming out of Texas A&M was that he stares down his receivers- he's still doing it. Redundant point on my part, but that's my biggest concern with him. No pump fakes, staring down his receivers- not a good combo for an NFL QB. I would imagine that NFL DBs and especially Safeties love playing against him. Peterson, Wilson, Rhodes- they must be licking their chops at the thought of Tannehill coming to town. If Arizona gets some consistent pressure on him it will probably be a long day for us.

miamiron likes this.
  11. dolfan2909

dolfan2909 Well-Known Member

wow that game looked a WHOLE lot better when I was getting drunk! poor showing from tannehill, lots of throws behind receivers on crossing routes and too far/outside on the deep ones, let's hope he doesn't keep making the same mistakes and shows improvement in the accuracy category

12. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

I'm curious, not trying to bash Tannehill- can anyone think of any NFL QBs who stare down receivers more than Tannehill, who are worse at scanning the field?

13. studsatele

Nope, sure cant think of a QB who is worse at that than Tannehill. Clearly he's the worst. Guy sux so hard. Geeze wheres Henne or Lemon! Time to restock the hope shelf, cause this franchise is clean empty. Nope cant think of any,that are worse. Maybe we could get a 3rd from Belichick for him. Not that im patronizing you, or giving any agenda you might have a back scratching. Which clearlyyour question wasnt asking for.

14. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

Ok, let's clarify- I'm referring to current QBs, note the use of the present tense "stare". I kind of like Tannehill so far, and as we all know it's not his fault that the receivers lack separation and play making ability. The point is that he stares down his intended receiver on most of his throws from what I've seen. You may not see a problem there, but I sure do. I knew that it was one of his weaknesses going back to college, but it's worse than I thought it would be. Watch the throws in the link, come to your own conclusions. So back to the point, if you actually have an answer for it as opposed to the your last post- can you think of any NFL QB's who stare (there's that tricky present tense) down QBs more than Tannehill?

15. OhioFinatic

OhioFinatic Rookie

I said the exact same thing!

16. AdamC13

AdamC13 Awe "Tight End" my favorite position!

Looks to me like Tannehill makes his reads pre-snap, locks on to his target and is not able to go through progressions at this point. There looked to be a few plays when a receiver was running literally uncovered and Tannehill missed it b/c his mind was made up before the snap of the ball. Of course fans then say our receivers suck and can't get open, but that is not the case. All receivers are going to be well covered a significant percentage of time. It is the QBs job to go through his progressions to find a receiver open on that given play and get him the ball.

Maybe that is just the way he is being coached right now and the coaches don't think he is ready for more than that? Whatever the case, at best Tannehill looks like he isn't capable of doing more than a half-field read right now once the ball has been snapped.

17. enigmatics

enigmatics Go get me a juice box!

Exactly.

He's leaving as many plays on the field as the WR's are at times not making them.

18. studsatele

Guess u cant read. I gave u what you want. Yes! He sux worse than any QB.Congrats you're right. He blows! We need a new QB.

19. studsatele

Which QB should we target in the draft? Cause its blatantly obvious at this point that Tannehill sux ****. We need a new QB.

20. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

Can anyone with a real opinion think of a current NFL QB who stares down receivers more than Tannehill?

21. studsatele

No. I cant think of 1. For the 3rd time. You are right. Ryan Tannehill sucks so harsh at stare downs. What more do you want? Im agreeing with you. We need a new QB. Finheaven will regret it if they dont succomb to your opinion.

22. studsatele

Lol! Im just messing with ya bud. Lol. Yes he does stare down his primary. But i think he's earned more than enough time to improve. However. If he's showing little or no improvement by seasons end, we may need to draft another guy to compete.

23. PALMA

PALMA A very famous spit

Wow how bad is Amstrong? Tannehill is getting very little help from his skill position players.

He's looks MUCH better in the pocket, in the face of pressure in this game than the other two. Especially his ability to extend plays, which is critical for top Qb play. Certainly the numbers don't bear this out, but we got a young, raw, improving Qb, with top athletic ability and arm. He's not looking over-matched at all. I'm expecting lousy numbers throughout the year, but his play is certainly going to get better. Rejoice Dolphin fans, I think there's hope yet for our franchise!

All I have to say, is if IRELAND does not get FIRED this year, we are doomed. How he can surround this young man with guys like Armstrong, Naanee, Fasano, etc. etc. and be fine with this is beyond me. How does your Roberto Wallace, Marlon Moore, Julius Pruitt 2 year commitment look like now Ireland? Wasted time and resources because of his ego and hubris, thinking he can actually spot "real" talent. Please, You f**king idiot, you gamble like that, you deserve to get fired. It's a G.M.'s job to find talent, it is JEF IRELAND that is overmatched, not Ryan Tannehill.

24. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Ya know, it's gonna get to the point when fans opinions in discussion and debate are going to be meaningless, unless you have video evidence of what you think to back it up.

It will be a SAD day but, it is coming. NFL players are going to become the frogs from biology class, with "so called surgeons" (as opposed to HS kids) dissecting. Just a very general opinion.

25. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

Interesting point, but I'm glad that I saw the video- I saw it first in the Miami Herald. If technology leads to a better understanding, so be it. All I know is that I realized something while watching the video- Tannehill never once scanned the field and the Jets defense was able to follow his eyes to have a much better idea of where the ball was going. Same thing- I like Tannehill. Different thing- I'm far more concerned now about Tannehill locking on to receivers and not scanning the field post snap. He'll scan pre snap but one he is hiked the ball he'll look either left or right, and there he stays. He cuts the field in half, and opposing defenses will feast on that until he corrects it, if he can.

26. enigmatics

enigmatics Go get me a juice box!

I consider locking on to receivers a trait of a QB who doesn't have experience in the offense he's playing under. Alas, Tanny is not new to Sherman's system. This will be his third year starting under it.

27. Mogwai

Mogwai Seasoned Veteran

I like watching these. Thanks to whoever puts them together. Our willingness to throw out of our endzone was pretty incredible. There's aggression and then there's madness. I see a lot to like with Tannehill, along with a lot of concerns. His deep accuracy is poor and our insistence on going to it on crucial drives really bit us. In the 1st half, he did a good job of being patient in the pocket and then moving out of it to make a play with his excellent ability to throw on the run. Hope to see more of that.

28. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

I count three passes where he stared down his targets. When he rolls out his options are bunched closer together so he can see everything in front of him. Obviously in 3 step drops his throw is determined pre-snap. Really not sure about this issue of staring down his targets is coming from. There are several throws where his accuracy is horrible. But the biggest issue is the tight windows he has to throw into because his targets don't get separation.

29. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i've looked at every rookie qbs games...and i'd still take him the 2nd one of the lot...how long can washington continue to run griffin to contact with 12 carries a game as a runner??? weeden i'm sorry but in 4 years tannys the better looking player to me...hell i'd take him right now...weeden can't elude pressure at all...wilson ehhh the seahawks didn't even have him throw a ball 10 yards against the pack other than the double move easy read and throw td and the last drive of the game...hawks d gonna have to stand on it's head if they're gonna play it that close to the vest going forward to keep that team in games...

i don't think you guys realize how much they ask tanny to do presnap and at the los recognition wise and with this option route system...kids been damn impressive...and we've barely scratched the surface of his athleticism at the position

30. clownfish

clownfish A True Fan

The thing I really noticed about Tannehill in this game is that hew is not afraid to throw the ball deep (he will learn timing and decision making soon enough). He has the arm strength. He has the intellect. He has the athleticism. He honestly drove the team with those talents twice at the end of the 4th qtr and OT into position to win the game. Honestly, in the end, his receivers, oline, and coaches failed him more than his ability and talent, IMO.

Cut those missed FG out of the video and I would have enjoyed it much more.

31. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

If Tannehill is locking on to either the left or right half of the field there is a problem there. If you only saw him stare down his target 3 times, then we saw very different things. If his throws in 3 step drops are predetermined and he never deviates, even if the coverage on his intended target is tight and the throw if made could be easily intercpeted- then Tannehill and the Dolphins offense are going to have problems. What you describe above, including receivers bunched together, sounds like a lousy passing offense to me. On a roll out you would want receivers mainly flowing with the QB in his direction, but "bunched together" sounds not good to me.

32. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

I don't know how you can watch the film and not come to the conclusion that Tannehill is at the MINIMUM guilty of cutting the field in half, almost never scanning on the opposite side of the field when he locks on to his primary target, and he's making life much easier for opposing defenses. They would be idiots if they didn't follow his eyes. If Tannehill stops reading defenses just before snap and goes on auto pilot, doing nothing in terms of looking off Safeties, pump fakes, etc.- defenses will feast off of him, especially when you consider how bad his WRs are at creating separation and making plays. Recipe for disaster. How I would rate them:

1. Luck
    2. RGIII
    3. Wilson
    4. Weeden
    5. Tannehill

Weeden has crappy WRs, too. If Little and Benjamin held on to what should have been 2 impressive TD passes then Weeden throws for around 400 yards, the Browns probably beat the Ravens and Weeden is one of the week's heroes. I like Wilson, but I look for Weeden to start outperforming him soon. Weeden has made the bigger mistakes early, but he also has two 300 yard passing games to go along with his big, accurate arm.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2012
  33. hoops

hoops exited stage left

weedens got a nasty habit of throwing high over the middle to his intermediate targets...the kind of throws that get your guys ribs exposed to safetys and lbs roaming the middle...threw high all over the place against the ravens...ravens d isn't as formidable as it used to be cause they don't have a consistent win pass rusher on the outside with suggs out...no one has stepped up and filled that roll and produced...til suggs comes back the ravens d is gonna continue to get exposed...weeden also throws with bad ball placement underneath at times back shoulder on slant routes or to the inside shoulder on out routes which is a recipe for disaster...that said he's shown off toughness in the pocket to stand in and deliver and his vertical accuracy has been terrific...marginal athlete though so if you can make him have to get off his landmark and reset his feet or elude pressure he's quite marginalized...

russell wilson...unless they open it up good luck winning consistently in this league playing so conservative on offense...they're treating the kid with training wheels...week 3 as a starter i expected to see a bit more throws in the intermediate range not that stuff i saw monday night...barely threw the ball 10 yards 90 percent of the game...that kids height is gonna be an issue also...the seahawks are gonna waste 3 years finding out this eagle scout isn't good enough to get them over the hump...

the only thing the skins are doing with how they're playing rg3 is taking shelf life off the kid...way way too damn much contact...keep running him shanny ha ha

as for tannehill i don't think he's locking into things as much as many say...i see his head in the middle of the field in his drop i see head movement from side to side...what i think is that he's making a lot of really proper reads pre and post snap coverage wise and as such throwing the ball to the correct target...i don't see cutting off half the field at all unless you're tallking about roll outs and what not in which case yeah he's gonna read half the field primarily...if this kid was locking into things as much as many lead you to believe he's have a lot more than just one int to date where he made the wrong decision...guys would be jumping things getting hands on balls like lbs and safetys and we haven't seen much of that... i see a lot of excellent pre and post snap decisions and a guy who is really setting up his protections well...far more advanced than i ever expected in all those things...

34. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

I think that there's definitely some validity to your points about Weeden, but the guy should have had 2TDs and 400 yards against Baltimore. And before that another 300 yard game, not bad. I think that he'll continue to improve.

RGIII- bottom line he's playing well, he's an intelligent and well spoken kid which is nice to see. I hope that he stays healthy, we'll see.

Russell Wilson- he's a good game manager and they'll gradually give him more rope and leeway as the season goes on. Good not great arm, highly mobile. Dude is a winner. I can't say that I'm rooting for him after that Monday night debacle, but I think that he'll do well- he's not the type to lose games through rookie/bonehead plays, and I think that he'll help Seattle quite a bit.

Tannehill- the short version is that the video clip showed me this: Tannehill scans the field pre snap, chooses one side of the field to look at, then without exception (what I saw) or with very few exceptions he focuses on that side of the field, period. That's what I saw. Look at the Jets defenders reading his eyes. To me that spells trouble- just my opinion, we'll see what happens. Dude has a lot of talent, I'm hoping that he lives up to expectations.

35. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i just watched that entire video...i see a guy identifying coverages very damn well and making quick pre post snap solid decisions on where to go...there's hardly any evidence of the ball into coverage...just about all those throws are where he has one on ones...a lot of the other plays he's just going with the design of the play like he should...no ones getting the jump on the kid

in the tight red yeah he's rushing some things but you got to make even quicker decisions as the field condences...pretty funny that the person who put that video together points out bess free crossiing the endzone but tannys already rolling out to the right seems like a lot to me to ask the kid to scan the other side of the field for a open option at this stage of things...and even then qbs once they roll out don't usually throw back across their bodies it's a major no no in pro football...

all i can say is tough crowd fellas...that kids doing really well all things considered...i love the decision making so far

36. hoops

hoops exited stage left

and damn was that drop by armstrong on the inbreaking route a big play opportunity missed...the safety is too flat on the play the balls behind him if armstrong catches that he's gone for 6..perfect call for the perfect coverage...executed by everyone but the damn wr securing the catch...that trail corner can't tackle him given that distance to make up and armstrongs wheels...that's a td we should have had...damn you armstrong

37. Czonka39

Czonka39 A True Fan Donator

Hoops always like reading your insights. Whats the odds of the Dolphins trying one of their younger WR in place of some of the struggling receivers?

38. hoops

hoops exited stage left

probably not good right now...only change i could really see is mathews in for naanee...but it seems like slim at this point...if armstrong keeps dropping the ball they may cut him but this o given the wr core lack of big play ability and run after the catch needs a speed element to help keep the safeties honest...armstrongs leash at this point is probably longer than it should be...hard to bring in a guy off the street and expect him to help you in a few weeks...and even harder when it comes to getting on the same page with your qb in a option route system

39. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

How can he be making correct post snap reads when he rarely if ever scans the whole field? If they dumbed down the offense that much we might as well have Matt Moore in there. As to that Bess play, he looked more open than he really was because the DB covering was by the goal line shifting weight as that photo was taken and was just about headed toward to Bess- the video shows that clearly. That play is a non event to me, irrelevant. In that case he was rolling out, big deal.

Almost invariably he's fixated on the general area of where he's going to throw, flat out ignoring huge chunks of the field. If that is proper decision making to you, when there is no way that he can be going through all of his progressions, then I simply disagree. You love his decision making so far? He has more IINTs returned for TDs than pass TDs, right? He has issues with batted down balls- why is that? Lowest QBR in the league? Hmmm... I would call that a result of crappy WRs who can't separate and crappy decision making by a QB who is unwilling or unable to scan the entire field and go through proper progressions.

As to your comment that "no one is getting the jump on the kid"- uh, ok. Houston literally got the jump on him knocking down passes. The INTs, the INTs returned for TDs. The low completion percentage. The bottom of the barrel QBR rating. Good luck with that one, and good luck with Tannehill going up against a very good, aggressive defense. Patrick Peterson and the rest of that secondary might have a field day against him.

If a QB isn't going thorough the proper progressions and scanning the whole field, he's not doing what he should be. He's playing checkers when he should be playing chess. That was the book on him in college and that's the book on him now. And that's certainly what I saw when I went through that video twice. Pretty much every throw that Tannehill made in the Jets game he showed the same tendency- lock on to one side of the field, don't even bother looking the other way. That is no way to go about playing QB, and that's imo a big part of why his QBR is the bottom of the barrel.

40. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

I did notice him going through his progressions and scanning all the way from left to right in the Oakland game so he is capable of it. From that video the Jets looked to blitzing on almost every play and we have a rookie at RT and not the greatest RG so I'm not too concerned yet.

41. studsatele

Jim still pushing yur agenda. Im sorry bud. But as of yet, im impressed. No he hasnt been perfect. But i see wH more to be excited about with Tannehill. Than things to nitpick apart. So im gonna keep cheering and keep hoping he improves and cleans up what needs cleaning.

42. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

Bunched together is bad terminology. My mistake. They do roll with him narrowing his scope so unless you are on the field in front of him you really have no idea where or who he is looking at. In a three step drop the target is determined pre snap depending on what the defense gives him. His decision making on where to go has been excellent and dont forget, he has played 2 very good defenses and schemes.

Again, not sure why you are implying he stares down his targets problematically when it just isn't so.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2012
  43. Phin-o-rama

Phin-o-rama FinHeaven VIP

All this because of a missed kick. Watch every throw by Sanchez and he looked like the rookie.

Kid has played 3 NFL games and put us in position to win a few times.

44. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

Why isn't Tanney scanning the field? He is looking at a new D every week and is learning the speed of the game - he has very little experience - Jim1 has an agenda

45. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Ya think?

46. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

Agenda? What a silly comment. What I am is concerned because Tannehill is staring down his intended receivers and is not scanning the field, going through full progressions. It's that simple.

ps Here are all of Tannehill's throws against the Texans, video made by the same guy. Similar to the Jets game, but I would say that Tannehill looked better here. Case in point around 2:30 there is a nice check down to Bush and I saw a pump fake and nice completion iirc in the 1st 3 minutes of the clip. That's the kind of stuff I want to see, better tape here than the Jets game.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...-breakdown-of-ryan-tannehills-first-game.html

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2012
  47. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

I wanted to see if this dude uploaded any more videos only to find out he removed the one in the op. Anybody subscribe to him and know his youtube ID?

Thanks

48. Show Me Your TDs

Show Me Your TDs My head's on Fire!

You do know that this is the same person who was willing to post the idea of cutting BESS and HARTLINE. Jim was the one declaring they were impeding the progress of our "outstanding" rookie WRs on our roster. I called him crazy and was supposedly an idiot for doing so. HAHAHAHHAHA

49. ABX3

ABX3 Member

He has a bright future ahead of him.

50. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

He received a cease and desist letter from the NFL. NFL told him he was violating copyright laws so he had to quit doing it and take the previous videos down.