Vikings and others use cap loophole | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vikings and others use cap loophole

phunwin

The name's Bond...James Bond.
Reaction score
According to John Clayton's newest article some teams are taking advantage of the cap rule that accounts for "incentives likely to be earned." In so doing, teams with some cap room write ridiculous incentives into contracts, call them "likely to be earned", and write that off the cap next year when they're not earned.

This strikes me as a pretty big loophole, although one that's taken advantage of by more frugal teams. Anyone have some insight on if/when the NFL might act to close this up? I remember they did something similar a few years ago with teams who were writing slam-dunk bonuses into player contracts in an effort to circumvent the cap.

phunwin said:
According to John Clayton's newest article some teams are taking advantage of the cap rule that accounts for "incentives likely to be earned." In so doing, teams with some cap room write ridiculous incentives into contracts, call them "likely to be earned", and write that off the cap next year when they're not earned.

This strikes me as a pretty big loophole, although one that's taken advantage of by more frugal teams. Anyone have some insight on if/when the NFL might act to close this up? I remember they did something similar a few years ago with teams who were writing slam-dunk bonuses into player contracts in an effort to circumvent the cap.
You mean "Voodoo "cap economics.Always though other teams such as the Skins were operating under a different set of rules.Its time to close the loopholes.Parity should also apply to the cap.

CrunchTime said:
You mean "Voodoo "cap economics.Always though other teams such as the Skins were operating under a different set of rules.Its time to close the loopholes.Parity should also apply to the cap.

Don't complain too loudly as the Dolphins may use this provision of the CBA, available to all the teams, this year. :cooldude:

Back
Top Bottom