Vontae Davis and Sean Smith with better front 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vontae Davis and Sean Smith with better front 7

k33vinj

Vontae21Davis
Reaction score
Vontae and Sean are going yo have alot more chances for ints this because the front 7 is alot better mainly because the pass rush. If you remember the games from last season you know that pass rush sucked and alot of the time the QB had alot of time to throw. Now you add in MIke Nolan. Nolan likes to blitz th QB from alot of different direction. Nolan is going to play Cam and Cam is going to get alot of pressure. Odrick Dansby and Misi are all good blitzers and we all know pressure on QB leads to ints. When Fergie comes back that pushes Starks back to the right and Odrick to the left and that leaves langford merling and soliai for backups . I think our front 7 is going to dominate.

I like the optimism, but who knows if all the rookies will be able to contribute this year and it's going to be cam wake's first season as an every down linebacker so we will have to wait and see on that one... the fact is that we lost a lot of the QB pressure potential by letting Porter and Taylor go. Hopefully all the new additions will step up and create pressure in mike Nolan’s defense. But yea it is time for Sean Smith and Vontae Davis to step it up this year; they are not rookies this year so they won’t get a pass on bad plays like they did last year. There is no room for a sophomore slump with these guys.

we will see how our pass rush is, but regardless, look for more plays made on both the Defensive and Offensive sides of the ball. cant wait!

all i want is a D that can get off the field

Yeah this is, without question, going to be a more exciting defense. More sacks, more pressures and therefore, more interceptions.

I'm optimistic about our corner play as well,possibly even blitzing from those positions. I like corner blitzes, it freaks QB's out! The increase in our LB's pass coverage ability should help alleviate all of our defensive problems, pass rush,CB coverage and mostly safety play. Nolan's hire was one of the best assistant hires for us in a long time,I am looking forward to this year in a big way!

we had the 3rd most sacks in the league last year....and we are going to assume MORE pressure?

we lost our 2 starting OLB, who were 1st and 2nd on our team in sacks last year, and we are going to assume MORE pressure?

we are taking our Pro Bowl DE, and swapping him to NT, so we have to hope he can be effective there....and have to hope a rookie or his backup (Merling) from last year match his production...

Dansby is an obvious upgrade over Ayodele, but will that alone make up for what we may have lost at OLB, DE and NT? Nolan should also be an upgrade...but he's not gonna automatically improve things if the players don't hold up their end.

The rookies are no sure bet to upgrade what we had.

I don't want to be downer....but a lot of things could go either way at this point....hope it's your way!!

we had the 3rd most sacks in the league last year....and we are going to assume MORE pressure?

we lost our 2 starting OLB, who were 1st and 2nd on our team in sacks last year, and we are going to assume MORE pressure?

we are taking our Pro Bowl DE, and swapping him to NT, so we have to hope he can be effective there....and have to hope a rookie or his backup (Merling) from last year match his production...

Dansby is an obvious upgrade over Ayodele, but will that alone make up for what we may have lost at OLB, DE and NT? Nolan should also be an upgrade...but he's not gonna automatically improve things if the players don't hold up their end.

I don't want to be downer....but a lot of things could go either way at this point....hope it's your way!!

Umm yes. Just because we had a high number of sacks does not mean we had constant pressure.
We either got in the qb's face right away or he had all day back there.

Shawn Smith needs to show he can be a bit more physical and able to turn and run abit better with wr's.

Vontae needs to keep improving on his technique. HE seemed to get better as the season went along, while Smith seemed to wear down.

As for the LB' corp. People are hyping them up abit too much. Last year I was told Pat White was going to 'revolutionize' the position. Well people's expectations aren't easily lived up too, by rookies. People need to temper things and let them develop. Just because Nolan is in MIA now, doesn't mean squat. He won't be making tackles or INTS.

BTW, MIA still doesn't have a proven FS. So that by itself should be a concern for MIA.

Umm yes. Just because we had a high number of sacks does not mean we had constant pressure.
We either got in the qb's face right away or he had all day back there.

I agree....to a point.

...but over a 16 game season those things tend to equal out. I would say that over a full season, the teams with the most sacks generally generated the most pressure.

Shawn Smith needs to show he can be a bit more physical and able to turn and run abit better with wr's.

Vontae needs to keep improving on his technique. HE seemed to get better as the season went along, while Smith seemed to wear down.

As for the LB' corp. People are hyping them up abit too much. Last year I was told Pat White was going to 'revolutionize' the position. Well people's expectations aren't easily lived up too, by rookies. People need to temper things and let them develop. Just because Nolan is in MIA now, doesn't mean squat. He won't be making tackles or INTS.

BTW, MIA still doesn't have a proven FS. So that by itself should be a concern for MIA.

well, I would guess that our FS safety play last year cost us just about as much as any other team's FS last season.....

could it actually be worse this year? I guess it's possible, but I'm not counting on it. I'm actually counting on an upgrade there....no matter who winds up playing (my money is on the rookie)

I think there is some truth to what you say because as I understand it, we want to only rush 4 down linemen most of the time with full coverage on receivers. So we will prob get more interceptions but not neccesarily because of pass rush. That is the thought process into why we wanted Odrick. We want the big guys to rush with penetration abilities (Odrick and Starks) with two pass rushers(Misi/Wake/Anderson).

we had a lot of sacks but that is misleading.....lots of those came in 1st or 2nd downs but then on 3 and 12 the QB would have all day to throw and would complete the pass so the previos sack didn't really matter......I watched every game and our pass rush was very inconsisten and Porter, that was no loss imo.....Taylor actually played better but I'll take my chances with the new blood.

Ozzy rules!!

Let's not cloud the issue with facts that make sense - I like where k33 was heading with all this. We have plenty of time for reality when the season begins :up:

Just hope Vontae can stop falling down. His technique seemed pretty good but then he would fall down out of nowhere and then they got one of their huge plays.

im tired of hearing about free safty what about tyrone culver he was nice in coverage last season? starks is very good in middle. odrick can start immediately. and mike nolan means alot to this defense he might not make tackles but hes gonna put dansby in position too. does anybody remember denver on a winning streak at the beginning of the season that was because of their defense and we have a better offense and defense than they did last season.

Back
Top Bottom