Wake Miami's most efficient pass rusher | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wake Miami's most efficient pass rusher

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with Armando often, but I'm on the same page on this one.

One of the toughest parts about coaching has nothing to do with preparing a player to play. It's recognizing the right time to put a player on the field.
Sometimes coaches hit home runs with that decision. Sometimes they strike out.
"I think that our coaching staff has tried to utilize our personnel to the best of their ability right now." coach Tony Sparano said Monday. "We’ve tried to put the right guys in the right spots so to speak. Every once-in-a-while you miss. That’s not good, if you miss, you have to re-evaluate it and you have to try to make it right. So that’s what we’re doing.”
I hope they are doing it with Cameron Wake.
Because, with all due respect to the Dolphins staff, all I know is when Wake gets the opportunity to rush the passer, he gets to the passer. A lot.
Wake has three sacks this year. That's third on the team. But he's up there with the leaders despite getting about 60-70 percent fewer snaps than those other sack leaders.
In other words, when Wake is in the game to rush the QB, he is more efficient in getting results than the other guys. On Sunday against the Patriots, Wake played in 11 plays, according to Sparano. He had one sack and one pressure.
Compare that to other rushers that got at least twice as many and perhaps almost three times as many pass-rush opportunities and netted zero sacks, and you wonder why not give Wake more chances?
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2009/11/wake-miamis-most-efficient-pass-rusher.html

This seems so obvious. There must be something we don't know. I still cringe at the amount of time opposing QBs have to throw the ball sometimes. I don't understand this either.

Because he don't have a complete skill set to play DE/OLB in the league? I guess a OLB/DE being able to cover or stop the run is so yesteryear.

The BUF game is Wake's coming out party. But sit down and look at BUF's OLINE that game. 2 Tackles that were 3rd/4th string at best, and 2 ROOKIE Guards. Sure Wake had a great game, but when he gets his chance against the likes of Brees/Sanchez/Brady he comes away w/ 1 sack. If the guy was a complete LB/DE, he would be playing. But he isn't.

Because he don't have a complete skill set to play DE/OLB in the league? I guess a OLB/DE being able to cover or stop the run is so yesteryear.

The BUF game is Wake's coming out party. But sit down and look at BUF's OLINE that game. 2 Tackles that were 3rd/4th string at best, and 2 ROOKIE Guards. Sure Wake had a great game, but when he gets his chance against the likes of Brees/Sanchez/Brady he comes away w/ 1 sack. If the guy was a complete LB/DE, he would be playing. But he isn't.
Yea, we wouldn't want a run stuffer like Porter to lose snaps to Wake. Wake might not be good at it.

I'll never forget Cowher talking to Greg Lloyd on the sidelines and saying,(paraphrasing)"Rush the QB, that's all I want you to do." I know Wake may have some issues with run defense, but we need his young knees.:wink: Plus instead of taking Joey out when Wake is in the game, we could switch to a 4-3 taking a MLB out of the game and moving JT to DE. That would improve run defense and put our 3 best pass rushers on the field.:up:

The only time i saw edge pressure the whole game last week was when wake was in there give the kid more snaps he's earned it.

I seriousy believe Wake can get 10 sacks this year if they just let him do his damn thing.

Is it not enough that he has 2 more sacks than Porter in probably less than 1/4th of the playing time?

i don't see how that matters porter dosent cover or make tackles give wake his snaps,

Is this serious? Im not saying wake is god or something but really? Porter is one demensional (if u can even say tht considering he sucks at rushing the passer), how much worse can wake be?

Look no further than the stats:

(GamesStarted, TKLS, SACKS, Passdefensed, FF)
Porter- (7, 12, 2.5, 1, 1)
Wake - (0, 11, 3.5, 0, 1)

Wake has played in 6 games, porter has played 7, porter has started all 7 of his games, wake has not started a game , and wake is recieving between 1/4 to 1/3 the snaps Porter is.

Call them player A and player B and who do u think has produced and deserves to play more? get rid of his name and gues what, he probably is 3rd sting. thats all porter is at this point. a name.

I'll never forget Cowher talking to Greg Lloyd on the sidelines and saying,(paraphrasing)"Rush the QB, that's all I want you to do." I know Wake may have some issues with run defense, but we need his young knees.:wink: Plus instead of taking Joey out when Wake is in the game, we could switch to a 4-3 taking a MLB out of the game and moving JT to DE. That would improve run defense and put our 3 best pass rushers on the field.:up:

I could actually agree with this. Take Chowder out and peel the ears back. But people are advocating starting/giving the majority of the snaps to Wake, I along w/ the coaching staff don't agree.

Is this serious? Im not saying wake is god or something but really? Porter is one demensional (if u can even say tht considering he sucks at rushing the passer), how much worse can wake be?

Look no further than the stats:

(GamesStarted, TKLS, SACKS, Passdefensed, FF)
Porter- (7, 12, 2.5, 1, 1)
Wake - (0, 11, 3.5, 0, 1)

Wake has played in 6 games, porter has played 7, porter has started all 7 of his games, wake has not started a game , and wake is recieving between 1/4 to 1/3 the snaps Porter is.

Call them player A and player B and who do u think has produced and deserves to play more? get rid of his name and gues what, he probably is 3rd sting. thats all porter is at this point. a name.

Determined by playing time, the Coaching Staff believes as I do. Now you may think I'm wrong along w/ the CS, but they know alot more than you and I.

BTW, Wake against that poor *** OLINE in Buffalo was a reality. I watch alot of those game since my brother is a huge BUFF fan, and those tackles that week were pathetic and probably came from the CFL themselves.

i don't see how that matters porter dosent cover or make tackles give wake his snaps,

Porter does have to contain on running plays don't he? Something Wake has shown no ability to do to date...being he runs straight up field and the qb either steps up or the tackle rides him out of the way. How did he get his sack this past weekend, didn't JT pressure him into Wake?

Porter does have to contain on running plays don't he? Something Wake has shown no ability to do to date...being he runs straight up field and the qb either steps up or the tackle rides him out of the way. How did he get his sack this past weekend, didn't JT pressure him into Wake?

What does Porter even do? All I seem him do is run past the play, or get stood up by the tackle. It seems like either one of those is happening every play. And if he does manage to get the tackle, it is 7-8 yards downfield

What does Porter even do? All I seem him do is run past the play, or get stood up by the tackle. It seems like either one of those is happening every play. And if he does manage to get the tackle, it is 7-8 yards downfield

That would be almost all the LB's outside of JT imo.

Frankly if he got more snaps, at this point I wouldn't care. The sooner he can prove people one way or the other right or wrong the better off this team will be. MIA isn't destined for the playoffs and will end up being a avg team with a avg record.

But again I just don't believe he brings enough to the game to warrant more snaps. You either believe in this CS or you don't. I was told this excuse non stop about Penny. Wake fans need to understand that reality also.

That would be almost all the LB's outside of JT imo.

Frankly if he got more snaps, at this point I wouldn't care. The sooner he can prove people one way or the other right or wrong the better off this team will be. MIA isn't destined for the playoffs and will end up being a avg team with a avg record.

But again I just don't believe he brings enough to the game to warrant more snaps. You either believe in this CS or you don't. I was told this excuse non stop about Penny. Wake fans need to understand that reality also.

I agree. But I just think we aren't going anywhere with Porter. Wake's overall LB skills definitely to need to be polished, but really the only way that happens is for him to get game time and experience at the position.

It's kind of like Henne, he could only learn so much by getting tip after tip, it's obvious there are a ton of things that he can only learn by being on the field.

If anything though, just give the man the starting position at the 4-3 DE when we're in that formation. If he isn't going to be in as a linebacker, give him that at least.

Back
Top Bottom