Want to dump Directv and Sunday Ticket | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Want to dump Directv and Sunday Ticket

I'm already leaving. My contract is up next month and I'm going with fios. Already have Internet and phone. Spending an extra 1000+ a year on DTV with ST and the Dolphins don't add enough value to keep any longer. I've already cancelled ST and just waiting for the contract to end.

I heard Kodi had the biggest day ever with users on the NFL's opening week last year and it crashed. Live streams get full and overloaded when they get too many hits at once. So I'm not trusting Kodi for NFL Ticket. I called today and they only were going to offer me a $9 discount over 6 months. I told them that wasn't enough and she said call closer to the season and there will be a better deal for NFL ticket for me.

Thanks everyone... I made a decision to boost my internet and then purchase one of those Fire Sticks... and keep Sunday Ticket until I get it all sorted out.. Once again, thanks for helping me make my decision

Thanks everyone... I made a decision to boost my internet and then purchase one of those Fire Sticks... and keep Sunday Ticket until I get it all sorted out.. Once again, thanks for helping me make my decision

Not a bad idea, plus I would feel like since I'm paying for Sunday Ticket they couldn't really say much to you about watching the illegal streams. Take some time and compare the two. That's what I did with Sunday Ticket and Game Pass last season.

I don't know if I would say the league is reducing the supply of live games. It used to be you only had two Sunday games. Then the league added a third Sunday day game and a Monday night game. We now also have a Sunday night game and a Thursday night game, so there are six games available to most people. I think the exposure to all sports has numbed us to a degree and we don't appreciate it as much. It wasn't long ago you had one or two basketball or baseball games on national television each week, now it's hard to find a day where at least one game isn't available to most viewers. As I said earlier I remember when the best option for an out of market fan was to hope you saw two or three play highlights on Monday Night with Howard Cosell or wait until the following weekend to see a few highlights on This Week in the NFL.

You are making valid points, but I consider that history. In taking stock of the current situation, the NFL is making decisions that are prohibitive to our getting access, such as making the NFL package exclusive to DTV and allowing them to only offer one great big expensive package for all broadcasts. Even if they offer a single team option, I'm willing to bet the cost for one team will be >60% of the current total package cost. My claim is that they are reducing supply by not offering the packages that you'd expect to see in the present. (ie. select the teams you want, pay by the month, purchase only a single game). It's virtually the same thing as the EA exclusiviity deal with Madden football. We don't get multiple NFL video game offerings anymore. That was a terrible deal for us fans because it reduced the supply (and variety) of NFL video games.

I totally get that stuff was a lot harder to access decades ago, but these days we ought to be able to have all options, and the only reason we don't is just because they choose not to. There's no good limitation for them to lean on except profits.

Basically, I view that as an @$$hole move on their part.

I think they could make more money by getting people such as myself to buy some Dolphins games. I will never buy the full Sunday Ticket package and get saddled with a multi-year contract and pay through the nose in the long run for some football.

I canceled my Direct TV this week because I am moving. We are not allowed to have a dish at our new place. I spoke to someone in the Sunday Ticket Department and was told that this year Direct TV is going to allow people who do not have their service to order Sunday Ticket on their computers and devices. I was not told a cost or anything, but he said it should launch at the end of July. If it's not too expensive I may give it a try.

I canceled my Direct TV this week because I am moving. We are not allowed to have a dish at our new place. I spoke to someone in the Sunday Ticket Department and was told that this year Direct TV is going to allow people who do not have their service to order Sunday Ticket on their computers and devices. I was not told a cost or anything, but he said it should launch at the end of July. If it's not too expensive I may give it a try.

They did the same thing last year. I believe the cost was $200 or $250 with a big discount going to students. I think if you were enrolled at most colleges or universities they offered it at $100. I went back and checked my bank statements. I think it was four payments of $49.99. So about $200.00 total and I hear there may be a slight cost increase this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've worked the system and done this the past 2 years usually works pretty good

I can't get satellite where I live. The streaming freezes a lot especially early in the season. It's very frustrating. I even have an ethernet cable running right into my TV. It does get better as the season goes on though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They did the same thing last year. I believe the cost was $200 or $250 with a big discount going to students. I think if you were enrolled at most colleges or universities they offered it at $100. I went back and checked my bank statements. I think it was four payments of $49.99. So about $200.00 total and I hear there may be a slight cost increase this year.

I'm hoping that this rep was referring to not having to prove you can't get DirectV service in order to get it. Apologies for this link in advance, but now that ATT owns them, things could change.

http://www.patriots.com/news/2016/03/10/tackling-tech-new-wireless-option-nfl-content

I'm hoping that this rep was referring to not having to prove you can't get DirectV service in order to get it. Apologies for this link in advance, but now that ATT owns them, things could change.

http://www.patriots.com/news/2016/03/10/tackling-tech-new-wireless-option-nfl-content

Last year it was pretty easy in some places like NY and SF all you had to do was request it, while in most others all you had to was give them an apartment or condo address. Several people gave their parents of kid's apartment address and were okay. A ton of people gave their kids college id info and got the college discount. I know some people tried just making up an apartment number and adding it to their current home address and it didn't work.

I bought a FireStick and liked it so much I bought another for the bedroom on Amazon Prime Day. Now my bill is $10 a month for Netflix and $10 a month for Amazon Prime. No way Direct-TV or Dish can match that. Without out even adding Kodi you can watch thousands of things. But add Kodi and it is wide open.

My FireStick (w/ Kodi) is actually in the mail, as we speak! :up:

Had a return box on my front porch from DirecTV. I had to send my 2 receivers back when I cancelled. Going to be weird after have DirectV for so long.

Had a return box on my front porch from DirecTV. I had to send my 2 receivers back when I cancelled. Going to be weird after have DirectV for so long.

Yeah, but now you can wipe away your tears with all the money you will be saving! :up:

Back
Top Bottom