Was Ryan Tannehill a one year wonder?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LikeUntoGod, Jul 25, 2012.

1. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

We all know that Tannehill has not had that many starts as a QB in College. He started for a season and a half.

But why the half? Did he beat out Jarrod Johnson mid way though through the season? No, he only started because Jarrod Johnson was injured. Tannehill was still playing WR, he had 11 catches.

So Tannehill only won the starting job his senior year when he beat out freshman Jameill Showers.

2. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

i don't believe RG3 was on any upper echelon radar screens before this year; ditto Cam Newton and his one and done at Auburn. One is TBD the other I'd say has worked out at least alright.

3. Marinomyhero

Marinomyhero Lifelong Fan

I don't think our new OC would bet his career if he didn't see nfl potential.

4. insomnia411

insomnia411 The world is yours

In order to be a "one year wonder" don't you actually have to be good for a year?

5. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

I don't know. I wonder if Andrew Luck was a 3 year wonder. Only time will tell, RT could bust as big as Ryan Leaf, or he could turn into the next big thing. That is the fun of watching, to see what happens. No one really knows, not his coaches, his wife, not even RT. All we can hope is that the coaches put him in the best possible position to succeed, which includes letting him sit for a year if that improves his chances of success.

6. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

You mean Mike Sherman who is only our OC because he was fired by Texas A&M............

Do you think drafting Tannehill was his call?

7. KTOWNFINFAN

LOL, you do have a way with words. I would have to say he was GOOD for that year. Maybe not great but definitely good. But he obviously wasn't drafted for that, he was drafted for his untapped potential. That is why so many have such a problem with drafting him at #8. I personally don't have a problem with it, because of the way the new rookie salary cap is now more forgiving for high draft pick mistakes, and the fact that I don't want to wait another 30 years to see if another Marino falls into our laps.

8. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

Did you really just say "three year wonder"?

9. hemidemon

hemidemon Starter

Chad Henne was a 4 year starter at Michigan. I don't think this is a good way to tell if a QB is going to do well at the NFL level.

CalDolFan10x14 likes this.
  10. King Dingaling

King Dingaling Well-Known Member

Preseason games will give us an idea. Let's see how well he performs under pressure. If he looks confident against other teams and limits mistakes then he will be our QB of the future. I wanna see him take command of the huddle and move the ball but most importantly, finish drives with points. I think he should sit for the year unless he is head and shoulders better than Moore and Garrard.

11. KTOWNFINFAN

I did !!! The point being there have been more than a couple "can't miss" college players, that come to the NFL and were complete bust. I am not comparing Luck to RT because Luck is better in almost every way, but we don't KNOW what the future holds. Truth is always stranger than fiction. I am quite certain that you will be hard pressed to find any of those distraught panther fans who felt cheated that Luck didn't come out last year feeling the same way after his first year. Very few could have predicted Newtons quick success, and I doubt very seriously that Luck will put up numbers any where near what Cam put up his first year.

The fact of the matter is we just don't know who is going to be better. All signs point to Luck being the most NFL ready QB since Peyton, and RT being at least a year away from being close to reaching his potential, but NFL talent evaluation is not an exact science. RT is now a dolphin, and a dolphin with the most POTENTIAL that we have had at QB in quite awhile. No one knows if it will translate to wins, or championships, but that is what keeps us buying tickets or glued to the screen for every game, preseason game, and TC practice to see how he is doing. Enjoy the ride. And if he fails miserably I will be sitting right beside you calling for someone's head. But until then I am going to hope for the best.

12. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

Well, that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. We cannot trust a 3 year starter which means we are fools for believing in a player that could not beat out a guy that now is the night manager of a Burger King.

I'm not calling for anyone's head. I honestly just read for the first time that the only reason Tannehill played QB in his Jr year was the starting QB was lost to a injury and it jolted me.

I hope this also wakes up the "start Tannehill NOW" fans to understand that at best, he is a project.

13. NYPhin24

NYPhin24 Scout Team

just curious, why do you even bother "rooting" for this team? 99.9% of your posts are negative sarcastic backhanded insults to the team and its players, what is the point?

14. KTOWNFINFAN

I agree, there are definitely some things that makes you really nervous about RT. And I also agree that we have to really be patient and let him grow into the job rather than force him into something he is not yet ready to take over. But I still say even if he is a total bust it was the right move. We HAVE to start taking chances at the QB position. Waiting 30 years is unforgivable. If you have to reach, then fine reach. Do what you have to do, but getting a QB is all that matters.

15. hemidemon

hemidemon Starter

Actually I think Tannehill was recruited as a QB but agreed to play WR b/c he wanted to get on the field. He went to all the QB meetings all 4 years he was at A&M. He was not an afterthought at QB.

16. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

Where did you hear, read or see that Tannehill only started because Johnson was injured?

17. FinsNCanes

FinsNCanes 9-7

I could care less what these guys did in college to be honest. It's a whole different ball game.

18. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

And he was good for a year and a half, with the 2010 actually reaching closer to great status.

19. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I am sure if Sherman did not believe in Tannehill, he would make sure everyone knew that he was not worth a pick, let alone a top 10 pick.

20. BillsFanInPeace

BillsFanInPeace FinHeaven VIP

Were I would get concerned if I was a Dolphin fan is IF after this training camp he is the Third QB.

He was taken in the top 10 of the draft, I am not saying he needs to start right away but he better be good enough to secure the Number 2 job and give the organization confidence to go into the season with him as your Backup

21. SuperMarksBros.

SuperMarksBros. Formerly Fiedler for MVP

Both of the veteran QBs have had success at the NFL level. I'd be alot more concerned if he had trouble beating out someone like Jim Sorgi for the #2 job.

22. insomnia411

insomnia411 The world is yours

I didn't like Tannehill before the draft and I'm not going to change my mind now just because the Fins drafted him.

23. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

Okay, Tannehill did not start only because Jerrod Johnson got hurt, Johnson was doing horrible when healthy. And funny enough, many thought preseason of that year Johnson could be a first round QB himself.

He and Johnson were both approached about playing WR, and Tannehill was more receptive to the idea.

Mike Sherman getting fired at A&M is... interesting. He did a really good job improving the talent level and brought several NFL prospects to the school. The problem is A&M boosters literally think that they are on Alabama and USC's levels or damn well should be.

Everybody knew Tannehill wouldn't be ready for week 1.

RG3 was not even on the blip of declaring for the draft preseason. Hell, I don't really think he was considered a top 15 pick until he beat Oklahoma.

Honestly we don't know how Tannehill will be until he gets out there and plays, and we should not rush him. The Colts and Skins (and to a lesser extent the Browns) need RG3, Luck, and Weeden to start right away.

24. CedarPhin

CedarPhin Finheaven Hall of Shame Hammered

Let the pants-shytting commence!

25. PATSSUCK

PATSSUCK Banned Hammered

Yea why approach something with an open mind until proven otherwise. It's much easier to be pissed and have an agenda, right?

26. sluggo

sluggo Rookie

I have absolutely no problem with RT being #3 on the depth chart this year. We have 2 veteran QB's on the roster to get us through the year while RT learns the pro game. If we can get average QB play out of Gerrard and Moore, and I fully expect we can, then I'm good with that. After what we have been through the last 10 years, I'd love to have average QB play for the next year while we develop our young QB. He has the athletic ability, he has the smarts, he has the arm and he has the desire to succeed. We just have to put him the best position to have success and if that means having him learn from the bench while we get average QB play out of our other 2 QB's, I'm all for it. I don't want to churn and burn this kid just for the sake of "HE WAS A #8 DRAFT PICK".

27. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Asshats galore in this thread.

NFL is not the NCAA. Never will be. can't look at success there as a mark to be successful in the NFL

28. denverfin

denverfin Member

I completely agree. Sherman would probably have loved to not draft Tanny and avoid all the drama of the connection back to college. He must have felt pretty strongly that there is something worth working with in him.

29. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

Ireland had to draft Tannehill, he had no choice.

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

They got what they wanted. WELCOME TO THE SEC BABY!

p.s cue "Welcome to the Jungle"..............

30. CRIOS

CRIOS PERFECT PHINS '72 Finheaven VIP Donator

Can he be another Henne in disguise? Oh god! Noooooo!!

I just wanted to terrorize you guys. Tanne is the real thing folks. Count on it.

31. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

well, if YOU say so.................

32. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

So Tannehill wanted to play WR over QB? Or are you saying that Johnson was horrible but Tannehill still could not beat him out?

Which year are you talking about? I'm not sure I understand.

33. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

Tannehill's sophomore year when Stephen McGee was the starter. Sherman approached both about going to WR (where they were thin) while the other would be backup. The thing people seem to forget though is Tannehill ended up being a pretty good WR.

34. Built2Win

Built2Win A True Fan

I.m.o. i don't think Tannehill Was worth the pick in that spot. I think the dolphins saw a smart player who knows the system well that they are trying to implement. They like his athleticism, his arm and something that Henne lacked his fire and emotion for the game. Though your getting a Raw project and to expect him to be ready to start some games is asking allot That is why i think the dolphins will be forced to carry 3 qb's on the roster.
    [​IMG]

35. PaPhinz

PaPhinz FinHeaven VIP

Jerrod Johnson played some WR when McGee was still the QB, he just didn't do it as long as Tannehill because McGee got hurt. One thing to remember about the Johnson/Tannehill competition, Johnson going into the year where he was replaced by Tannehill was being talked about as a possible heisman candidate. The previous year I think he set the school passing yards record. I don't know how good Tannehill will be but I think it's unfair to say he wasn't any good because he couldn't beat out Jerrod Johnson.

Either way I'm just happy training camp has started and I can't wait for Hard Knocks to start. Hopefully Tannehill gets into camp soon so we can start to get a look at him.

36. TPD1479

TPD1479 Seasoned Veteran

These posts make me sick. Unless your clairvoyant no one knows. Let's give our FUTURE QB some time before we start wondering if he's going to be a bust. Holy crap!!!

37. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

Tannehill did not want to play WR over QB.

from his Miami Herald interview.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/27/v-fullstory/2770633/miami-dolphins-ryan-tannehill.html
    Johnson and Tannehill did compete for the starting QB job in 2009 but Ryan was told by Sherman that he had to decisively outplay Jerrod to win the starting job.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4420930