Was Ryan Tannehill a one year wonder? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Was Ryan Tannehill a one year wonder?

LikeUntoGod

The Oracle
Reaction score
We all know that Tannehill has not had that many starts as a QB in College. He started for a season and a half.

But why the half? Did he beat out Jarrod Johnson mid way though through the season? No, he only started because Jarrod Johnson was injured. Tannehill was still playing WR, he had 11 catches.

So Tannehill only won the starting job his senior year when he beat out freshman Jameill Showers.

i don't believe RG3 was on any upper echelon radar screens before this year; ditto Cam Newton and his one and done at Auburn. One is TBD the other I'd say has worked out at least alright.

In order to be a "one year wonder" don't you actually have to be good for a year?

We all know that Tannehill has not had that many starts as a QB in College. He started for a season and a half.

But why the half? Did he beat out Jarrod Johnson mid way though through the season? No, he only started because Jarrod Johnson was injured. Tannehill was still playing WR, he had 11 catches.

So Tannehill only won the starting job his senior year when he beat out freshman Jameill Showers.

I don't know. I wonder if Andrew Luck was a 3 year wonder. Only time will tell, RT could bust as big as Ryan Leaf, or he could turn into the next big thing. That is the fun of watching, to see what happens. No one really knows, not his coaches, his wife, not even RT. All we can hope is that the coaches put him in the best possible position to succeed, which includes letting him sit for a year if that improves his chances of success.

In order to be a "one year wonder" don't you actually have to be good for a year?

LOL, you do have a way with words. I would have to say he was GOOD for that year. Maybe not great but definitely good. But he obviously wasn't drafted for that, he was drafted for his untapped potential. That is why so many have such a problem with drafting him at #8. I personally don't have a problem with it, because of the way the new rookie salary cap is now more forgiving for high draft pick mistakes, and the fact that I don't want to wait another 30 years to see if another Marino falls into our laps.

I don't know. I wonder if Andrew Luck was a 3 year wonder. Only time will tell, RT could bust as big as Ryan Leaf, or he could turn into the next big thing. That is the fun of watching, to see what happens. No one really knows, not his coaches, his wife, not even RT. All we can hope is that the coaches put him in the best possible position to succeed, which includes letting him sit for a year if that improves his chances of success.

Did you really just say "three year wonder"?

Chad Henne was a 4 year starter at Michigan. I don't think this is a good way to tell if a QB is going to do well at the NFL level.

Preseason games will give us an idea. Let's see how well he performs under pressure. If he looks confident against other teams and limits mistakes then he will be our QB of the future. I wanna see him take command of the huddle and move the ball but most importantly, finish drives with points. I think he should sit for the year unless he is head and shoulders better than Moore and Garrard.

Did you really just say "three year wonder"?

I did !!! The point being there have been more than a couple "can't miss" college players, that come to the NFL and were complete bust. I am not comparing Luck to RT because Luck is better in almost every way, but we don't KNOW what the future holds. Truth is always stranger than fiction. I am quite certain that you will be hard pressed to find any of those distraught panther fans who felt cheated that Luck didn't come out last year feeling the same way after his first year. Very few could have predicted Newtons quick success, and I doubt very seriously that Luck will put up numbers any where near what Cam put up his first year.

The fact of the matter is we just don't know who is going to be better. All signs point to Luck being the most NFL ready QB since Peyton, and RT being at least a year away from being close to reaching his potential, but NFL talent evaluation is not an exact science. RT is now a dolphin, and a dolphin with the most POTENTIAL that we have had at QB in quite awhile. No one knows if it will translate to wins, or championships, but that is what keeps us buying tickets or glued to the screen for every game, preseason game, and TC practice to see how he is doing. Enjoy the ride. And if he fails miserably I will be sitting right beside you calling for someone's head. But until then I am going to hope for the best.

I did !!! The point being there have been more than a couple "can't miss" college players, that come to the NFL and were complete bust. I am not comparing Luck to RT because Luck is better in almost every way, but we don't KNOW what the future holds. Truth is always stranger than fiction. I am quite certain that you will be hard pressed to find any of those distraught panther fans who felt cheated that Luck didn't come out last year feeling the same way after his first year. Very few could have predicted Newtons quick success, and I doubt very seriously that Luck will put up numbers any where near what Cam put up his first year.

The fact of the matter is we just don't know who is going to be better. All signs point to Luck being the most NFL ready QB since Peyton, and RT being at least a year away from being close to reaching his potential, but NFL talent evaluation is not an exact science. RT is now a dolphin, and a dolphin with the most POTENTIAL that we have had at QB in quite awhile. No one knows if it will translate to wins, or championships, but that is what keeps us buying tickets or glued to the screen for every game, preseason game, and TC practice to see how he is doing. Enjoy the ride. And if he fails miserably I will be sitting right beside you calling for someone's head. But until then I am going to hope for the best.

Well, that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. We cannot trust a 3 year starter which means we are fools for believing in a player that could not beat out a guy that now is the night manager of a Burger King.

I'm not calling for anyone's head. I honestly just read for the first time that the only reason Tannehill played QB in his Jr year was the starting QB was lost to a injury and it jolted me.

I hope this also wakes up the "start Tannehill NOW" fans to understand that at best, he is a project.

just curious, why do you even bother "rooting" for this team? 99.9% of your posts are negative sarcastic backhanded insults to the team and its players, what is the point?

Well, that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. We cannot trust a 3 year starter which means we are fools for believing in a player that could not beat out a guy that now is the night manager of a Burger King.

I'm not calling for anyone's head. I honestly just read for the first time that the only reason Tannehill played QB in his Jr year was the starting QB was lost to a injury and it jolted me.

I hope this also wakes up the "start Tannehill NOW" fans to understand that at best, he is a project.

I agree, there are definitely some things that makes you really nervous about RT. And I also agree that we have to really be patient and let him grow into the job rather than force him into something he is not yet ready to take over. But I still say even if he is a total bust it was the right move. We HAVE to start taking chances at the QB position. Waiting 30 years is unforgivable. If you have to reach, then fine reach. Do what you have to do, but getting a QB is all that matters.

Actually I think Tannehill was recruited as a QB but agreed to play WR b/c he wanted to get on the field. He went to all the QB meetings all 4 years he was at A&M. He was not an afterthought at QB.

Back
Top Bottom