We bought yet another server upgrade | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We bought yet another server upgrade

FinHeavenAJ

FinHeaven Lives
Reaction score
Hello one and all,

Muck and I have been spending the past couple of weeks improving FinHeaven, as always... but in this case speed and reliability. Over the past couple of months really, our current server hasn't been nearly as reliable as we'd like. The current host, fastservers.net, has "one point of failure" which basically means that if their provider goes down, they go down, we go down... not cool.

The host we're moving to, ServerMatrix.com, has TEN points of failure, thus ALL 10 providers have to go down in order for us to go down. Additionally, they have a 99.99% SLA guarantee, so if they don't live up... our account gets credited with that downtime (providing that it's not our fault).

George and I went with one of the best servers available, even though it costs $169 a month and the current one costs $149. We feel that this new server will be MUCH quicker and reliable. All I know is that if we had this setup in the early offseason, we would have not gone down during the Boston signing and other pivotal parts of the offseason.

In any case, here are the stats of the new server:
P4 2.8Ghz
1 GIG DDR RAM
1 73GB SCSI hard drive
Private VLAN Connection (not shared!)

The old server was:
AMD Athlon XP 2500
1 GIG DDR Ram
1 80GB IDE hard drive
Not a private VLAN connection

In addition, Muck and I have been researching in making sure that the transition from one server to another will be as seamless as possible, thus incurring little to no downtime (nothing over an hour, not days as previously).

Anyway, I just wanted to give a good update on what we've been doing...

Sincerely,
Andrew Tatum

AJ,

Glad the decision was made to go with the new place.... the 10 point redundancy alone is worth the extra $20, and like I mentioned on the phone, the SCSI HDD will perform much, much, much better than the IDE ever could. While the AMD may "look" faster, I've always been of the opinion that Intel is the better choice for servers anyway, maybe I'm just old school...
When is the target date for transfer?

Clumpy said:
Speak English :mad:

Yes.........And please throw in a "ya'll" every once in a while.

BTW, since we're talkin' computers.........

My Pentium 3, 833 meg crashed the other night. My brother said the description sounds like the power source was fried.

He's building me a P4 2.6 meg for $450. I guess after he fixes the P3 I'll give it to the kids because right now I'm on a (no bull**** here) Pentium 133 with a dial up connection.

It took me five minutes just to get here. :lol: :cry:

Small update, ServerMatrix called me up today to confirm the order and it will take 32-36 hours for the new server to be up and running. Now... for those that know about computers, what we're going to do is have someone else host the nameservers, thus we can go to a seperate company and edit the IP address that the nameserver points to. Doing so will enable us to have no down time. In addition, we're going to change the A entry of the old server to point to the IP address on the new server as a backup solution.

To those that don't know computers...

Ya'll know about that latest and greatest Ford Mustang? It's like extremely fast... unlike that old Ford Pinto. That Mustang won't burn and crash as soon as something touches the bumper...

Alright thats the best I can do for right now... :lol: sorry that it's kinda lame, but you get the idea.... now I have to get back to work...

Clumpy said:
Speak English :mad:

Right. Well then, it's bloody good the bloke made the change. I spoke to the good man on the mobile not long ago, and the technicalities were on the up and up. So pip-pip, cheerio, and all that rot... the Yank did a bloody good job!

How's that? :goof:

I've been wanting the SCSI drive. Heh, I can't even fathom going back to IDE on my home computer. :lol:

FinHeavenAJ said:
George and I went with.....

Whoa, whoa. Wait a minute, who is George?! I feel like I don't even know you guy anymore? Seriously though...is Muck George? :chuckle:

Back
Top Bottom