we CAN'T keep changing offensive coordinators

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ItsOurTime32, Dec 11, 2006.

Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
  1. ItsOurTime32

ItsOurTime32 Well-Known Member

after all the talk all year i realized something, this offense will never be dominant or start off fast with a new offensive coordinator every season

so what if mularkey goes off the run sometimes players will know what his plays are and how his offense runs and better execute plays in this system

this system is for a decisive quarterback who can throw to receivers and let them get YAC and a pounding run team when we do run

keep mularkey around for another two, im sure saban sees the same things we do and although we think we know everything saban is the head football coach lets leave it in his hands on what happens to mularkey or what mularkey does

2. Crypt Keeper

Crypt Keeper FinHeaven VIP

I agree, I think Mularkey will stay. His play calling has vastly improved as the season has gone on and I think it is better for the chemistry of the team if he stays.

3. Dolphins=LIFE

Dolphins=LIFE Well-Known Member

Mularkey is no longer the problem. He has adapted to what he has, and the team is WINNING. That's all that matters.

4. zonk4ever

zonk4ever A True Fan

if you're happy going 8-8 forever and enjoy watching a solid defense and mediocre offense, you stay with joey and mularkey. there's nothing wrong with 8-8. it's only half bad! every game we've won has been an incredible defensive effort! we're winning playing wanny ball! :lol:

5. tucker

tucker Perennial All-Pro

did you know that mularkey has been in the bottom percentage in the leaugue regarding deep throw attempts his whole career?

6. Dolphins=LIFE

re:

Mularkey's been here less than one season, his record as O.C. is 6-7

Joey's Record is 5-3.

And if you're a Daunte supporter, his record was 1-3. And I don't care if he was healthy.

Stick with what everyone is getting to know. It will pay off.

7. ItsOurTime32

have u seen this team after the bye week? after we got used to the offensive system?

truth is you won't win it all with a mediocre quarterback/offensive coordinator.
    the truth is also that you won't win it all with new schemes for players to learn every year

mularkey has to stay the next two years

8. ItsOurTime32

our line can't block for 3-5 seconds all the time to give joey time to throw down field, the times he does he overthrows chambers

chambers doesn't fit this system this year

which is another problem with keeping mularkey but read my point above

9. Dolphins=LIFE

re:

I will sort of agree with the "Chambers doesn't fit".

Sort of.

He's talented, and with that talent. He should he able to adapt.

A perfect compliment to Booker in this system (Mularkey's) would be Larry Fitzgerald. I know we'd never be able to get him, I'm just saying.

10. tucker

tucker Perennial All-Pro

mularkey doesnt throw deep..never has and never will...thats why booker gets more of the plays..thats also why caulpepper doesnt fit mulakey's system..i think CK actually brought this point up before the season began and he has been correct on his assessment...mularkey for the most part is a very conservative play caller

11. ItsOurTime32

i agree, the posession receiver in this system is a fit, not neccesarily a deep threat like chambers was/is

12. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral King of the Wild Frontier

Mularkey's taking less chances, and I'll guarantee you it's because Saban insisted on it, much the same way Saban got on Linehan's arse last year and made him "feed the studs" more.

As for Mularkey's future, it all depends on Saban's opinion of his playcalling. The offensive system is not terribly different from last year save for going to a shorter passing game to better suit Harrington and our line's pass blocking deficiencies. Ideally you would like to keep continuity, but if they chose to promote from within it might not be that big of an issue.

13. Dtronic

Dtronic Season ticket Holder Sec 150

I'd rather change OC then keep a bad one just for the sake of continuity.

14. tucker

tucker Perennial All-Pro

also harrington isnt very good at the deep ball

15. dominizzo

dominizzo CAMERON EARTH WAKE

Culpepper will be the starter next year no question

16. DoctorFeelgood

DoctorFeelgood The one that makes ya feel alright

Agree with the OP 100%. We can't keep changing coordinators every freaking season. Mularkey has done a decent job with playcalling this year, it was execution that was killing us earlier. Now that the QB and O-Line are playing better, his play-calling looks much better.

I say keep Mularkey and let the offense continue to improve.

17. aleta

aleta Seasoned Veteran

Well!!

about the "we CAN'T keep changing offensive coordinators " comment, what i can said about it is "OH YES!! WE CAN" GO DOLPHINS!!:mad: :dolphins:

18. marino1348

marino1348 Well-Known Member

well, maybe we should find a good one. Then he won't need to be replaced

19. malzj

malzj Seasoned Veteran

We either keep Mularkey or promote from within. We'll see what's going on... maybe Saban is demanding a certain philosophy and MM isn't going along with it some of the time. If not, he'll be gone. I think Saban can put pressure on him to make better calls or to be more balanced. I've noticed alot less trickery. We may begin to see it again soon.

20. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member of the 'Owned! Awards' Commitee

We can't keep changing the OC, QB, and everything else. We will never gain any continuity or improve and then we are back to square one... AGAIN.

21. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 FinHeaven VIP

I agree with this thread. I say we keep Mularkey for one more year, see what he does with better talent and then make our decision. If he doesnt work out we can probably get Linehan back because he'll probably be out of a job after 2007

22. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

I no longer have a problem with Mularky because Saban has taken over the reigns of some rediculous calls IMO.

23. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

And Jason Garret will be that man if this happens IMO.

24. Tigers2003

Tigers2003 FinHeaven VIP

I think the playcalling has improved since the first 6 or 7 weeks of the year as Mularkey is more familiar with not only the personnel but knowing what to do to account for injuries and how to mask weaknesses with effective play calling.

Having said I still maintain he gives up on the run too early in contests. He still occasionally tries to outsmart himself, although he is getting better at not calling bag o' trick plays just for the sake of being too slick for his own good and that of the team. He like other coordinators can get predictable once they reach a certain comfort zone with the abilities of certain players. For instance the short sideline passs one line beyond line of scrimmage to Welker on the right side was stopped in its tracks last week as it has been for at least the previous two weeks. And it appears to be thrown always on 1st down. That is just a small example of needing to know how to put your third receiver in better position to achieve maximium efficiency instead of playing in the hands of the defense.

The need for continuity will probably keep him here. But this fan here is just not sold on Mularkey. It absolutely sucks changing coordinators year end and year out. But if Mularkey fails hindsight will offer much clarity if after '07 or '08 we are still complaining about play calling that keeps this offense mediocre. If there is a proven coordinator available who fits Saban overal plan and goals for this offense he needs to strongly consider changing coordinators.

25. BALLS DEEP

BALLS DEEP Guess Who's Back.

I agree that it is far better for the team if we have some continuity at the OC position. However, let's not fool ourselves into thinking that we have won the 6 games to date because of our offense. The defense has done the lions share of the work to date.

26. zonk4ever

zonk4ever A True Fan

You can't change offensive coordinators every year? Thank goodness the Saints didn't follow that logic!

27. Spartiate

Spartiate Active Member

The only reason it seems like Mularkey's play calling has been better is because he has a quarterback in now who can run this god awful offensive scheme. It suits Joey Harrington much better because everything is short passes ( Which is the only thing JH can effectively complete). If any of you have been to a game at Dolphin stadium this year you could see that the guy has a damn noodle for an arm. Anything over 15 yards practically floats to the recievers.

I think if Saban plans on bringing Culpepper back next year to start then we will see an OC change. Because DC has a rocket for an arm and can air it out there at will, and Mularkey just doesn't call those plays. I'm a big Culpepper supporter and hope he starts next year because in no way do I think JH is a starting caliber qb. But at the same time if Mularkey is brought back for another year, I would rather have JH as our QB. He just fits better with Mularkeys system.

In all I think Saban may make a huge mistake this offseason. He's probably going to bring back MM and DC will most likely be our starter. And unless Mularkey dramatically changes his play calling to fit our QB, then we will be in for another long start to the season before Saban decides to pull the plug on MM.

28. junkyardkid

junkyardkid Well-Known Member

malarkey has to go. we should have beaten buffalo the first time, malarkey should have summoned up all the dirty tricks that he had personal access to, and beaten the bills like never before. that has to tell you something. how will this week's game be? even if we win, we are still only 50/50 on the year with the bills. unacceptable, given that malarkey was in charge of that whole team.

29. PhinsRock

PhinsRock A True Fan

Mularky has improved dramatically, he also has adapted to his player's skills. That said, he should adapt well to Daunte going downfield next season when he becomes the starter again. Mularky should stay. Gotta change my sig.

30. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 FinHeaven Elite

You mean after Saban told him to cut the crap and this is what he wanted?