We don't need Wide Receivers

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by nosleep, Jan 5, 2009.

1. nosleep

nosleep Resident GIF Maker

Not one game we lost, was due to not having a "number one" receiver. Not one...
    Ginn, Camarillo and Bess helped us get to 11-5. All three have great hands and can be relied upon. Ginn already demands safety help when he's out there which leaves Camarillo in single coverage and Bess to roam underneath or outside. Now that we have London stepping up we should be set for next season. Having a reliable receiving corp means we can now spend more money elsewhere where it is REALLY needed.

We do not need a number one receiver.

We need linebackers.
    We need a free safety.
    We need a nose tackle.
    We need a center.

If you disagree, please explain how a number one receiver deserves more attention than any of the previously listed positions.

2. Breed

Breed Pro Bowler

I would agree that we aren't in desparate need of a #1 WR, but it would be nice to have one.

3. ticophin

ticophin Starter Donator

Another threat maybe....yes, but Im in favor of focusing (offensively) on the Line, it still needs consistency

4. CHAD4MVP

CHAD4MVP !DOWN SOUF CHICHO!-'84 DAT 3.0.5.BABY!!

i disagree. i think we need atleast 1 big time threat at the position. a "BIG TIME PLAYMAKER someone defenses have to prepare for. now with that being said right now we will not do much with a big threat because pennington doesnt have the big arm like some qbs in the league. i mean if we stay as is . we will stay limited. the caches knew we were a very limited offensive unit and thats why i believe they had to get creative and use the wildcat to mix it up a little is the same thing as when ur playing a offense that runs alot. "if u stop there run game wat happens"? u force them to beat u throwing the ball. the ravens in this game specifically came out daring penninton to beat them downfield. they have the weapons in the secondary example: reed to take those chances. they said u know wat well stack 7 to 8 in the box when they run we stop em whent they wildcat we stop em and when they play the short game we can def stop em. the only option pennington had was the deep ball and that wasnt gonna work either they limited our offense and thats why nothing seemed to work offensively i believe....

we need to have that big wr threat i believe in order to open up the game for other players and in order to make defenses pick there poison when defending us...
    and again if we get a big deep threat it might not go so well at first with pennington until the bigger armed qb comes in (henne).... iam not saying sit pennington but if we have a opportunity to land a playmaker why not? it can only be an upgrade from where were at now. if we can land a playmaker without giving up our whole draft either.

5. TurkishFin99

TurkishFin99 Well-Known Member

We need to do something on the o-line. I think that with D. Thomas in there this season, Ronnie has 1000 yards and we're 12-4. We need to figure out what to do with Samson because I just think he's a better fit at guard than at center. He said so himself. Also, I wouldn't mind getting another linebacker that can really get after the QB. Porter can't do it all himself, as was made evident by his lack of sacks towards the end of the season.

6. CHAD4MVP

CHAD4MVP !DOWN SOUF CHICHO!-'84 DAT 3.0.5.BABY!!

definitely the o line still needs alot of work and d line too.

7. Orange_Crush

Orange_Crush 11-5 (2008 AFC East Champs)

TJ Housh would instantly make our offense better. We need to pursue guys like that, especially after the year we had, sure we need help elsewhere but its hard to find guys like TJ. There are plenty of good lineman in the free agent pool, we dont need to run after one of them real hard. We need a shutdown corner as our main proirity, especially with Tom Brady and Randy Moss in NE, which is our biggest challenger for that division. Agree?

8. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

if we can, i say we give housh a try if he is a free agent, but we have a bunch of young guys at receiver who are very raw, and Brandon London actually looks like he has a tremendous upside going into next season, and should compete for the #2 or 3 receiver. It is a hard choice to make because we have so many character guys on our receiving corps that you want every one of them to succeed, but we do need somebody to step up more then they did this season.

heres what i think we need, in no particular order

-Right guard, depending on the donald thomas situation
    -Center, depending on what Satele shows us
    -Nose tackle, We need a guy that can back up ferguson for next season, and step into the role in their 2nd or 3rd year
    -MLB, Crowder would be much more solid if he had somebody with more talent playing next to him. I love the attitude of Ayodele but he is not GREAT linebacker.
    -OLB, We desperately need another pass rusher in this defense. Porters responsibility as a pass rusher was too much to handle in the last half of the season, as he was constantly double teamed as the rest of the defense struggled to disrupt the pocket
    -S, Yeremiah definitely has a few years left in him, but he is 30 and who knows when he will start losing a step. Renaldo Hill was nothing short of solid this year, as expected. We need a ball hawk back at safety, to take some of the coverage responsibilities off of our corners.
    -CB, Like Bell, Allen and Goodman are both 30 and aren't getting any younger. We need to address this area in the draft in the first few rounds to ensure that we have a player at the position for many years.

9. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG ~LACUNA LEGIONS~

I disagree. I think we need one elite WR to go along with Ginn / Bess / Camarillo. I think TJ Houshmandzadeh will do....

IN TUNA WE TRUST....

10. nosleep

I disagree. A shutdown corner wouldnt have helped the pass rush yesterday on Flacco (maybe a corner blitz but beside the point). A shutdown corner yesterday wouldn't have helped Renaldo Hill (or Yeremiah, or Crowder) tackle McGahee on his TD run. A shutdown corner wouldn't have helped Flacco's scramble up the middle for a TD. See what I mean?

11. Orange_Crush

Do you want NE to pick apart our secondary again next year?!, we need to prove we mean business in this division, NE is still the team to beat.

12. Orange_Crush

and that was just one game... we needed alot more than a shutdown corner... and it was mcclain that scored the TD if i remember correctly

13. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Satele has extremely short arms. I don't want him starting anywhere.

14. Third Eye

Third Eye Scout Team

We need all of the mentioned positions PLUS a legit #1 wideout. We can crutch along for another year without the #1 wideout as long as CP is the QB, but this team is being built for the long haul which likely means Henne by mid next year or as outright starter by 2010 at the latest. Henne's arm will command the need for the big, strong and fast #1 wideout.

15. nosleep

Did you see how NY beat the Patriots? They put pressure on Brady.

16. Orange_Crush

do we have 3 above average DE's that can do that and will we by next year?? Unlikely. Get N Asoumugha. Get that corner that CAN go one on one with Moss. Someone that can take all the pressure off Goodman and Hill. We need a good Cornerback, an Elite corner. Hands down, our Defense would be better with him.

17. X-Pacolypse

X-Pacolypse A True Fan

Until we get all those needs met, another WR can wait.

18. Orange_Crush

I agree that we have other needs but HOW could you pass on a TJ? Honestly? someone who would come in and make our WR corps just that much better, they are average or a little below now, we couldnt pass on TJ. We can get those other guys later on via draft free agency.

19. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator Donator

IMO, G/B/C are all very good 'slot' receivers...they can kill off linebackers in coverage mismatches...but truth is we need a big-fast-bada** on the outside, ala 'Dre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Plaxico Buress, etc.. I expect Wilford to be undressed, then cut by BP (and asked for money back); and that London, Armstrong, and resigned-Cannon wil get hard looks starting in March OTA's. Add in the WR we'll draft in April...yeah, things will be looking up.

20. NYinBostonFin

NYinBostonFin Playoffs Please!!

I disagree...we need a legit #1 threat at WR.

Although LB, NT, and secondary needs addressing first...we can't sleep on finding a #1 or top tier #2 WR.

21. nosleep

We have bigger needs. We need all the money we can save to address the positions that need upgraded. Wide receiver is not one of those positions. Since you aren't getting my point how about this. Tell me how TJ will come in and score touchdowns for us that Ginn, Camarillo, Bess and London can't.

22. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

we dont need a receiver, we need 2 receivers. we have no depth at the position once camarillo went down.

23. Shogun Samurai

Shogun Samurai WildPATOffense

IMO camarillo, bess, ginn are fine WRS. But we need a WR that teams would need to game plan for. Someone the defense fears.

24. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan FinHeaven VIP

He will be 32 at the start of next season, will demand a big contract and has never really been the big time go to guy for Cincinnati. His yards per catch the past two years are 10.2 and 9.8. That is not good.

25. Orange_Crush

his QB blew this year.

26. Orange_Crush

yeah and your not getting any of my point either. You complain about i want TJ and NA. tell me who youd rather have. and how will he score TDs that they cant. Anyone can score TDS, TJ is proven none of our other guys are. Our Wrs are all young, we need a guy like TJ who has a good attitude and is a playmaker. If we get TJ it will open up for the other guys to get more TDs becasue teams will focus more on TJ then our unproven young WRS. I make a solid case, End of story.

27. Orange_Crush

hes been the go to guy for 2 years now, and his ypc down this year cuz he had an unproven QB. and in 07 he led league in catches so id imagine his ypc isnt the best. am i correct or no?

28. Orange_Crush

and u never did answer my ? about tom brady and Ne, u disagree about getting asomugha and u say get pressure on brady like giants did ant yea thats correct. but do we have 3 above average lineman ?? and its unlikely we wil l have 3 by next year

29. Canadianfishfan

Canadianfishfan FinHeavean VIP

Do we need WRs.. like plural.. no.. but we need to upgrade that position.

Like we need to upgrade out defensive and offensive lines. And our linebacking corps.. (I'm not sold as Crowder being a Thomas replacement) And yes... we need to upgrade our secondary.

With next years schedule.. we better be looking to upgrade all over the field.. Baltimore made that fairly evident.. and WR is definitely one of those positions.

30. Snookslayer

Snookslayer Banned Hammered

Ugh please don't start that again. The old Chris Chambers excuse. "He's an elite WR, but his stats suck because the QB stinks.... for 7 years running." Yet amazingly, WRs like Boldin and Ward somehow managed to put up monster stats every year despite playing with a rotation of bad QBs.

31. nosleep

3 DE's that can rush? Rushing is up to the linebackers in the 3-4. So that's why I put linebackers as a need. We get some solid linebackers that can put consistent pressure on the qb and there's your shutdown corner. Now, don't get me wrong, Asomugha and TJ would be great to have but only after our other needs are taken care of, if we don't then it's useless. If you don't believe me jsut ask Al Davis how Asomugha and Javon Walker are helping them win games. And TJ and Chad Johnson.

32. 3rdandinches

3rdandinches Seasoned Veteran

Everyone thought A.Harper (Dallas #2 WR when they were winning SB's) would be a great #1, Peerless Price was another and when they commanded the double team they were useless. Now I'm not saying this will happen but you need to be aware of guys who don't get double coverage because of a M.Irvin #1 is taking it all and now you expect the same production here. Especially when these guys will demand #1 money!!!!!!

I'd much rather go after another really good WR with size and experience to help out. NE won all those championships without a true #1 and since they've had R.Moss there's no championships. I know it's only been two years but you'd think he'd seal the deal for them.

33. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

Are you serious??? I love all 4 of these WR's that we have but TJ is a much much better WR than any of them right now. Get TJ and best case scenerio Ginn, or London emerges as a top threat too and you have a ton of WEAPONS on offense that will be awefully awefully hard to cover. YES we need all of the things you mentioned as well but we DO need a legit #1 WR. Phins went into a PLAYOFF game with 3 active WR's on the Roster, Bess went down and they were down to two..... If that doesn't tell you we need a WR then IDK what will.

34. Lorenzo Rules

Lorenzo Rules A True Fan

this is so wrong , I wont bash you so I willo disagree with you instead.
    fact number 1 we cant rely soly on tightends to stretch the field and yes ,we do need wrs ;as a matter of a fact we really need 2 wrs this pretending that miami is ok at wrs is why dolphins sux on offense we are not that bad on defense but we really are bad on offense just look at the scores our games.
    now I will say that we do need a dt as a matter of a fact we need 2 of them .

if miami would get 2 wrs 2 dt's and 1 cb and 1 safety then miami should be better next year.
    I would list our needs like this.

we need two wrs,
    we need two defensive tackles
    we could use two olinemen
    we most certainly need a cb maybe even two of them .

we can get by at linebacker but we need a freaking bigtime wr and a bigtime cornerback . we really need to get a pass rush and another runningback this is only my opinion.

35. 3rdandinches

3rdandinches Seasoned Veteran

90% of Baltimore's pressure came from different LB's and the occasional CB/S blitz. We need better LB's, Porter is the only stud LB we have and can be game planned for because there's no threat of constant pressure from anywhere else. If we can get another OLB that can rush the passer and a brickwall for another ILB to help Crowder our defense will improve 10 fold.

What would help our WR's out greatly is a better run game to force the S's up and that means a better Oline. We need a much better C and maybe let VC go if he asks for too much and draft a Roadgrader.

36. phinfan33

phinfan33 A True Fan

are you kidding me? we can get by at LB with who we have? we have NO pass rushing LBs besides Porter...we need ILB...a genuine bonafide 3-4 NT,not a 4-3 DT trying to play 3-4 NT...we need a mauling Center...RT..both Guard positions....guys,our trenches on both sides of the ball are not anywhere close to being complete...and we definitely need Secondary help...yes,a true #1 WR would be nice,but we have too many holes in other positions to fill and fix...and i personally hope we fix those other positions first...meat&potatos guys,meat&potatos before the flashy (sexy) picks...

37. nosleep

The Dolphins ran up more passing yards on the Ravens the first time we met out of every team they played! That's including Indy who put up 271 yards. We threw for 295! Simple fact is our offense is getting it done.

38. Lorenzo Rules

Lorenzo Rules A True Fan

ok phinfan 33 I see your point now I can get on board on linebackers , I guess i just would like to have speed and size guy like boldin .

i will take this time to say that i could have been wrong about wr Roy Williams i wonder though how much of that was a overrated Romo or a overrated Roy Williams ?

I am glade we didnt give the farm for Williams

39. crumpdaddy

crumpdaddy Scout Team Finheaven VIP

we're not gonna spend big money on a reciever. i dont see us spending big money on a single free agent PERIOD. yes i would love to have NA, a shutdown corner leads to more coverage sacks. but on the other hand you get someone who can bring pressure cheap then you get more pressure ints. ill take a pressure int over a coverage sack anyday, cause the longer they get to stand back there and look the better the chance the reciever can get open regardless of how good the CB is. but on that note this is a thread about recievers.

in my post earlier the 930 one about how much we have to look forward to next season i believe we are fine at wr. i have stated if nicks out of unc falls to us in the second i would jump all over it UNLESS a stud backer or DB is still back there. next to cobbs london is prob our second best special teams player, i dunno if hes under contract for another year or so, but heck let him stay on special teams and also get worked in some during game play or in the event we have an injury much like towards the end of last year when he tried to show the league just exactly who he was. we use alot of different reciever sets to try to utilize all there potentials, so we will see cammy and bess in at the same time next year, ginn and cammy, ginn and bess, maybe even some martin at wr, so i think we are fine at wr specially considering that david martin can line up out there too...heck even patrick cobbs took dozens of snaps at wr this year. so WR we ARE fine, lets focus on LB DB and some depth on the OL

40. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

We've got to have the core strengthend. Right up the middle. OC, OG, NT, ILB, S. WR can wait.