We Need O-Gun | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We Need O-Gun

FinFan57

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I am trying to be optimistic about our offense, but with the musical chairs that we seem to be playing with Offensive Coordinators, Ricky's dubious state, and questions at O-line and QB, we must lean heavily on our defense. It is still the anchor of this team and must continue to play at a high level if we are going to be successful.

That said, it is time to give O-Gun a new contract. Enough talk already. Rick has done an excellent job of avoiding the temptation of overpaying free agents and has us well under the cap limit. He has done his job admirably. It is time now to finish this year's overhaul and sign O-Gun.

I hope we add some talent that drops after the June 1 cut, but I'm not that optimistic. June 1st is no longer the free-for-all it used to be. Too many teams now manage their salary cap very well and very few free agents (that can make an impact) will be available to us. I'm not counting the QB's that might be released, such as Warner, because I don't believe we'll be adding any QB's this year. Maybe a veteran receiver or lineman may be available, but it's quite possible we'll stick with the young guys we have now and not pick up anybody after June 1st. O-Gun is the key now. He is the only guy, I believe, who will make a significant impact, that is left to sign.

I hope this young offense will be as good as we all hope, but in the meantime let's be practical and strengthen the side that helps us the most right now - our defense. I think we're in good shape, except at DE. Yes, David Bowens, Otis Griggs, and Jay Williams are good depth and could fill in for O-Gun, but let's not forget that O-Gun was a Pro Bowler last year and led the AFC in sacks. Most of us are so focused on JT (rightfully so), we minimize the impact O-Gun made for us. The Dolphins were the best run defense in the league last year, with everybody returning to play this year. Our secondary has greatly improved and, with O-Gun playing, we can be absolutely dominating. Make him a priority and give us some good news to talk about. I'm tired of the bad news.

I would not be suprised if O-Gun signs the one year tender and is out of here next year. I think Spielman, at some point, is going to have to look to the future and certain contracts that are coming up next year... and sacrifices will have to be made. We have been this close [ ] for years now, at some point the distance will increase.

Injektilo* said:
I would not be suprised if O-Gun signs the one year tender and is out of here next year. I think Spielman, at some point, is going to have to look to the future and certain contracts that are coming up next year... and sacrifices will have to be made. We have been this close [ ] for years now, at some point the distance will increase.

Nah, Wally would'nt even agree with the terms he wants a long term done, enough said. and Im pretty sure spielman agreed to talk about a long term something needs to be done this week in terms of good news for the Phins :confused:

He's doing what he thinks he needs to do to cash in on the last couple years. I don't blame him, and I don't blame Spielman for this. If he holds out and misses games all he hurts is himself (he couldn't get a team to trade for him this year, and a "me" guy that holds out on his team will not earn him any kudos next year). I'd like to see a long term deal get done, but I think the safe bet is on the 1 year tender getting signed, then something done with Miami, or he's gone next year.

O GUN needs to relax and smoke some of ricky's stash and accept the one year tender

It seems like Ogunleye wants to be a Miami Dolphin. He doesn't want to sign the one year tender, and I think we want to keep him around for more than a year anyway. I think we will work something out and Ogunleye will be a Dolphin for the years to come.

david bowens is a good player. dont forget he was above ogun on the depth chart till he got hurt. i saw him play when he was here at WIU and hes good. i think they will be fine if hes the starting de and ogun is still holding out or traded.

I don't see how keeping O-gun will get us to the playoffs. It didn't last year, or the year before. The Dolphin D is good, very good at times, but not dominant. It can't carry this team all the way. The easiest way to improve this team is by having a more effective offense.

So, that said, how do we keep BOTH O-gun and Chambers? If Boston does his part this year, Chambers should have a great year, maybe even Pro Bowl caliber. THEN how much money will we need to resign Chambers? If we extend his contract NOW, we could lock up Chambers for less than what he will demand AFTER this season.

I'd rather have Chambers around then O-gun. We'd all like to keep them both, but that won't happen with a salary cap. After what the Seahawks paid for Wistrom (overpaid) O-gun will want AT LEAST that much ($14 million signing bonus?) and probably more. Who can blame him? The market value for a DE was set high this year. Maybe if the FO had got him resigned last year, we could have kept him around.

One more thing: Was the secondary that bad last year? How is having Howard instead of T-Buck THAT much of an improvement? Was Brock Marion that bad last year? Will Antuan Edwards step it up and be much better? The secondary should be fine, if not much better, certainly not much worse.

Will it all collapse if O-gun is not there this year? :eek: Do you think the D will suffer more WITHOUT O-gun than the offense would suffer WITHOUT Chambers?

It sounds like dialogue has opened again between both sides, which is always a good thing. Even Drew Rosenhaus sounded optimistic. That right there is reason to think this will get done.

Back
Top Bottom