We need to extend Ireland before it's too late! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We need to extend Ireland before it's too late!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not forget Super Bowls are not won on paper.

Let not crown these guys until we win something.

opinions are like taste. there's no universal right or wrong. i guess you mix up fact and opinion here

Yes, there is.

If its your opinion that the Dolphins are going to win the Superbowl and we do not win the Superbowl, your opinion was wrong.

Yes, there is.

If its your opinion that the Dolphins are going to win the Superbowl and we do not win the Superbowl, your opinion was wrong.

if the outcome of the super bowl was known, we would be talking about a fact. that doesn't mean that my opinion before the super bowl was actually played would be wrong since there would be no evidence either way.

I don't think this should be on our minds right now. It is jumping the gun by a very long shot. IF we see playoffs this season AND a team heading firmly in the right direction, THEN begin thinking along these lines. Ireland has stated recently that the Dolphins have treated him very well. If he really believes that, he will give the Fins every opportunity to extent him. After all, we had faith in him long before anyone else did. Am I right?

Last edited by a moderator:
if the outcome of the super bowl was known, we would be talking about a fact. that doesn't mean that my opinion before the super bowl was actually played would be wrong since there would be no evidence either way.

The outcome of the last five years is known. Only one of them produced a winning season. If that's your definition of "doing a good job" then good for you. But I'll be over here with the adults who think contending for a championship is doing a good job and producing winning seasons is the absolute minimum that's required to merely keep your job.

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Which was exactly my point. I don't care how many people think Jeff Ireland is doing a good job. You seem to think that's a relevant detail. It isn't.

Evidence would be gained by the end of the season. Your previous opinion would have been proven false. Or wrong.

As Walrus stated, the results are known for our general manager. They are available to all.

Peoples opinion that he is a good general manager is wrong. He missed his draft picks, his free agents have largely busted putting us in cap hell, his trades have failed, and we've had 4 losing seasons. That is bad work.

My take on Ireland presently and going forward:

At this point he does not deserve an extension. It seems he's done an outstanding job this preseason but of course, barring injuries, the proof will be in the pudding. I would have preferred a complete changing of the guard including him when Ross offloaded The Meatball.

I think Ross has some good instincts and am grateful he actually took a shot (although in the wrong way) at getting Harbaugh (no way in hell with Harbaugh's wife in the pic that would have happened), and stepped in to put the kibosh on trading for and signing Orton. Long way of saying I think he's got good instincts and has now mastered much of the learning curve. (compared to owners like Woody, Richardson, Ziggy and the new cleveland crook he's looking better and better by comparison).

Long way of saying, if Ross who no doubt has put Ireland on an informal probation, believes he's done well enough to stay, I'll roll with that decision without any gripes.

I'm in the "Parcells was a bad influence on Jeff" camp and truly believe that Philbin, and his philosophy has created a new paradigm in his thinking reflected by who he's been drafting and signing. And I really like Philbin and short of a Cam season, want him to stay in the worst way. Believing Itzdick was handed a bad deal by Woody, as much as I want Philbin to stay even if Ireland goes, I'd rather have the new GM hire his own HC. However, I do NOT want that to happen!!! I like our entire coaching staff and want them to remain intact. Consequently, I want Philbin and his staff to stay appreciably more than even if deserved, I'd want Ireland to go and be replaced by someone possibly worse and/or handcuffed in hiring his own HC.

Long-winded, eh? But I want Philbin around for a few years so there's that linkage IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom