We need to extend Ireland before it's too late! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We need to extend Ireland before it's too late!

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 losing seasons in a row hardly qualifies for an extension. The one thing that has always impressed me with Ireland is his eye for defensive line talent. It is by far his strongest asset and I always praised him for it, even through the "Fireland" times.

I don't quite see the "abundance of talent" though. He did draft a first round QB . . . definitely deserves props for that . . . but that QBs progression this year means more to Ireland than anything else that could be mentioned. The DBs and LBs will be interesting . . . I'm not as sold on them as many are, but I like what I've seen and heard between preseason and practice. The oline is still mehhhhh, the RBs are mediocre, the WR depth is still shaky IMO and we all hope the progression of these young TE's helps this offense improve.

Ireland has shown that he doesn't get bullied around when it comes to contracts, and has shown some foresight when it comes to must resigns (Wake/Jones . . . 2 very cap friendly deals I may add) and really set this team up solidly cap wise and draft pick wise (although when you trot out the WR group you trotted out there last year, there should be some benefit to that).

It's all wait and see at this point, Ross is sticking with him as his guy so now its up to the coaches and players to produce on the field with the talent he has brought in.
You explain perfectly what i think of Ireland as our GM. Well said imo.

I like what he did this offseason but do you really want to extend the GM of a team that has gone 7-9, 7-9, 6-10, 7-9 over the last 4 years under his stewardship?

all due respect registered, he doesnt steward the team. Philbin and all the other coaches do.

IMO, he has done his job. Now its time for Tanne and Philbin to do their's. I am more than hopeful. I dont think this team will sniff the superbowl this year, but in years to come, people will look back to these last two drafts.

Jeff Ireland will never ever have everyone in his corner. Its a political thing.

This scared mentality that every castaway the Patriots pickup of ours that once acquired will go on to become world beaters and division destroyers for centuries to come is comical yet pathetic at the same time.

Who the hell cares what moves they make when at the end of the day we can only control what we do and what moves we make and think are best for our team and how we prepare to play against everyone else.

THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS!

As for Jeff Ireland, when he proves that the players he's brought in are capable of leading us out of the irrelevant state we are in, and that they have the skills to earn playoff berths and to contend for championships, until it happens he in my mind is considered a failing GM.

A guy who is "going in the right direction", yes... but also a guy underperforming when it comes to winning.

And in this league, that is all you should be judged on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, let's applaud the worst losing streak in franchise history!!! Yes, thank you so much you arrogant ******* Ireland!!!

Some people just refuse to get past the first few years when Tuna was running things, and refuse to look objectively at the talent he has brought in since he was handed the reigns. They made up their mind about the guy based on that and refuse to change it. No point arguing with these types, the hard headed types. Still probably sending mail other than email and call you all the time instead of text, you know that type of person......

tell us your true feelings

His true feelings....

fuuuurageogif-1.jpg

Could somebody please clarify to what extent Ireland is involved in who we pick / when and how they're played? I know there is a wide variety in levels of control around the league from GM to GM, I just wish I had a better understanding of how much control/influence Ireland has. Does anybody know specifically? Has there been a news article or other information about it in any detail?

Could somebody please clarify to what extent Ireland is involved in who we pick / when and how they're played? I know there is a wide variety in levels of control around the league from GM to GM, I just wish I had a better understanding of how much control/influence Ireland has. Does anybody know specifically? Has there been a news article or other information about it in any detail?
Parcells was head of the football department from 2008-2010. Ireland gained full control from the 2011 offseason to now.

Philbin is in control of who plays and how much they play.

Parcells was head of the football department from 2008-2010. Ireland gained full control from the 2011 offseason to now.

Right. But how much influence/control does Philbin have? I find it hard to believe its as some would have you believe, that Ireland picks everybody and Philbin has to work with what he ends up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom