We saw it... now, can the "pistol" be effective ? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We saw it... now, can the "pistol" be effective ?

Can the "pistol" be effective ?

• Yes

Votes: 46 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 24 25.8%
  • Pistol ? what is this, an NRA message board ?

Votes: 10 10.8%

• Total voters

JT-forpresident

Believe In Miami
Reaction score
Can the "pistol" offence be effective ?

Everyone waited for Pat White to come out and shine one time this year... the fins chose the new england game to unveil their new formation with White: the pistol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_offense

Many of you have seen it in college, with florida, nevada, and others running it very often and being succesful...

For those who don't have a clue what i'm talking about, the pistol is the shotgun formation where the QB is slightly closer to the center, the full back is next to the QB and the running back is behind the QB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSjeo3CixOY

So basically, this is an Offset I formation with the QB getting a shotgun snap. (well, that's how we run it ... you can take out the fullback and add a third receiver, or take our your TE for an extra receiver, etc etc... but for now our package is as mentionned, an offset I with a tight end and two receivers)

White wasn't exceptional sunday, neither was the pistol, but they both had their moments. When we drafted white, i knew anything from an option-based scheme would be implemented and ran by white, it was simply a matter of time. Well, the time has come. I don't know how effective it can be, but here are some "indicators":

1- pat white is an ace when it comes to running option schemes, he understands them perfectly
2- pat white has speed, and he's not scared to lower the shoulder
3- you can't blitz the pistol like you can blitz the wildcat, it's a completely different animal
4- there's blueprint for success with the pistol when you watch some ncaa teams
5- the pistol offence is a way to keep a QB in the shotgun where it's easier to throw, while maintaining an effective power running game ... this is something that rhymes with the miami dolphins if you ask me...

the main key IMO to the devellopment of the Pistol, is pat white's ability to throw... if he proves he can hurt defenses and make them respect the passing game, this could be a very, VERY, effective formation.

Everyone waited for Pat White to come out and shine one time this year... the fins chose the new england game to unveil their new formation with White: the pistol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_offense

Many of you have seen it in college, with florida running it very often (and some other teams too) and being succesful...

For those who don't have a clue what i'm talking about, the pistol is the shotgun formation where the QB is slightly closer to the center, the full back is next to the QB and the running back is behind the QB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSjeo3CixOY

So basically, this is an Offset I formation with the QB getting a shotgun snap. (well, that's how we run it ... you can take out the fullback and add a third receiver, or take our your TE for an extra receiver, etc etc... but for now our package is as mentionned, an offset I with a tight end and two receivers)

White wasn't exceptional sunday, neither was the pistol, but they both had their moments. When we drafted white, i knew anything from an option-based scheme would be implemented and ran by white, it was simply a matter of time. Well, the time has come. I don't know how effective it can be, but here are some pointers:

1- pat white is an ace when it comes to running option schemes, he understands them perfectly
2- pat white has speed, and he's not scared to lower the shoulder
3- you can't blitz the pistol like you can blitz the wildcat, it's a completely different animal
4- there's blueprint for success with the pistol when you watch some ncaa teams

the main key IMO to the devellopment of the Pistol, is pat white's ability to throw... if he proves he can hurt defenses and make them respect the passing game, this could be a very, VERY, effective formation.

Pat White looked so scared when he ran for like 20 yards. Did you see his face?

When pat white is in it really seems like whatever play he runs it develops slowwwwwwwlllyyy.

Call me old fashion, but I like to have one quarterback run the show. Whether it be Pat Whiter or Chad Henne, I like one quarterback to stay in the game and have a rhythm or a flow going. If we are going to use the "Pistol" let's keep White in the whole game then. I think it disrupts the flow of the offense with different quarterbacks coming in and out. JMO.

Pat White is a bust. I am sorry if anyone is offended by this startling fact, but he was drafted for the wildcat, and has done nothing to improve the team.

Pat White looked so scared when he ran for like 20 yards. Did you see his face?

When pat white is in it really seems like whatever play he runs it develops slowwwwwwwlllyyy.

i think it's moreso because white is making reads... when you run an option play, going fast is important but the most important thing to do for white is read the play correctly, to make sure the right guy has the ball in his hands at the end of the play, for the most yardage...

the first thing is reading the EMOL (end man on the line), and then he has to make sure his option back isn't covered when he wants to pitch it...

go back and watch some highlights of white in college, all the big runs he had coming out of an option play is attributed to two reasons:
1- he makes a good read when he keeps the ball
2- once he hits the line of scrimmage, he squares his shoulders and turns on the jets (that's EXACTLY how he managed that big run against the pats sunday)

if he can't do those on a constant basis from now on, i think it'll be fair to say he's a bust because that's what we want him to do... we want those big chunks of yardage and if his speed isn't good enough in the NFL, he'll be useless to us (IMO)

but i'm confident we can do something with the pistol and white ..

Call me old fashion, but I like to have one quarterback run the show. Whether it be Pat Whiter or Chad Henne, I like one quarterback to stay in the game and have a rhythm or a flow going. If we are going to use the "Pistol" let's keep White in the whole game then. I think it disrupts the flow of the offense with different quarterbacks coming in and out. JMO.

i understand this.. a lot of people aren't too fond of taking henne off the field that often...

but consider this, if we use the same ammount of snaps with the pistol and the wildcat (counted together) than we usually do with the wildcat alone... what's the difference really ?

Pat White is a hell of a runner, I thought he was going to house that run. Looked just like the WVU days out there.

i think it's moreso because white is making reads... when you run an option play, going fast is important but the most important thing to do for white is read the play correctly, to make sure the right guy has the ball in his hands at the end of the play, for the most yardage...

the first thing is reading the EMOL (end man on the line), and then he has to make sure his option back isn't covered when he wants to pitch it...

go back and watch some highlights of white in college, all the big runs he had coming out of an option play is attributed to two reasons:
1- he makes a good read when he keeps the ball
2- once he hits the line of scrimmage, he squares his shoulders and turns on the jets (that's EXACTLY how he managed that big run against the pats sunday)

if he can't do those on a constant basis from now on, i think it'll be fair to say he's a bust because that's what we want him to do... we want those big chunks of yardage and if his speed isn't good enough in the NFL, he'll be useless to us (IMO)

but i'm confident we can do something with the pistol and white ..

Looked at it again, and youre right.

Oops.:crazy:

How about we install the Saints offense instead of the wild cat, pistol, etc?

well, some teams have pat white/chad henne, others have drew brees :rolleyes2:

some teams have sean payton calling the plays, others have dan henning... (much respect to henning, but payton is probably the most knowledgable offensive coordinator and play-caller in the nfl right now)

when i read this thread i thought it meant parcells had a gun and was going to start taking out players like ginn, bell, wilson, bess, porter. damn i was wrong. oh well.guess we will have to wait till he breaks out the axe in the off season

the big problem with all this Gadgetry with White is it will all fail, if he cant throw the Ball to WITHIN 10 YDS of the nearest receiver, my GOD his pass attempts are nowhere CLOSE to ANYBODY, Ronnie Brown looks more the part as QB than White does.

when i read this thread i thought it meant parcells had a gun and was going to start taking out players like ginn, bell, wilson, bess, porter. damn i was wrong. oh well.guess we will have to wait till he breaks out the axe in the off season

LMAO i didn't think about that... the thread title can be a little misleading i guess :lol:

EDIT: changed it

So far P.White has had a little impact on 1 maybe 2 plays a game, I think it's a nice idea but man could we use help at OLB, ILB, WR, TE how many other guys would have been alot more effective at that pick.

Not bangin' on White, I'm just not a fan of a picked player that has so little impact for the positive and takes our young excellent QB off the field.

White's a luxury NE, Indy etc could have but choose not to take their QB off the field though.

Back
Top Bottom