We saw it... now, can the "pistol" be effective ? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We saw it... now, can the "pistol" be effective ?

Can the "pistol" be effective ?

• Yes

Votes: 46 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 24 25.8%
  • Pistol ? what is this, an NRA message board ?

Votes: 10 10.8%

• Total voters
So far P.White has had a little impact on 1 maybe 2 plays a game, I think it's a nice idea but man could we use help at OLB, ILB, WR, TE how many other guys would have been alot more effective at that pick.

Not bangin' on White, I'm just not a fan of a picked player that has so little impact for the positive and takes our young excellent QB off the field.

White's a luxury NE, Indy etc could have but choose not to take their QB off the field though.

i agree with you, right now some other guys like massaquoi, clint sintim, would look nice... (just to name a few)

but i think the idea behind the pat white pick was to get a playmaker, to get a guy who will get those big chunks of yardage... we know he's a hit or miss type of guy, he'll gain 1 yard or 20/30/40... so far, it's been more of a 1 yard gains type of deal lol but they couldn't foresee it...

you also have to take in consideration that this pistol offence has just been brought in, i say give it some time, but on the other side i understand the fans' frustration/impatience/disagreement

Well first I was convinced that Pat White was playing a bit scared and now I am convince that he just has a scared look about him because he has looked the same way every game. I agree he has not paid the dividends as a early 2nd round pick that so many on this forum expect. Of course Roth and Merling very hyped 2nd round picks have not just lighted it up either. I also agree White needs to show us more and until the passing starts to develop its hard to pass judgement IMO. This time next year I will be inclined to label him a wasted pick if things are not picking up but right now is way to early. These guys are changing his throwing motion and that takes at least a year to develop IMO so I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt. Plus our front office has been delivering on the draft picks compared to anything I have seen from and any and all other dolphin coaching staffs including Shula so I have a reason to be optomistic. They have even developed other coaching staffs mistakes. Roth last year and Jason Allen even looked fairly decent yesterday subbing for Davis. This scheme will be dangerous once and if White can throw the ball.

Well first I was convinced that Pat White was playing a bit scared and now I am convince that he just has a scared look about him because he has looked the same way every game. I agree he has not paid the dividends as a early 2nd round pick that so many on this forum expect. Of course Roth and Merling very hyped 2nd round picks have not just lighted it up either. I also agree White needs to show us more and until the passing starts to develop its hard to pass judgement IMO. This time next year I will be inclined to label him a wasted pick if things are not picking up but right now is way to early. These guys are changing his throwing motion and that takes at least a year to develop IMO so I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt. Plus our front office has been delivering on the draft picks compared to anything I have seen from and any and all other dolphin coaching staffs including Shula so I have a reason to be optomistic. They have even developed other coaching staffs mistakes. Roth last year and Jason Allen even looked fairly decent yesterday subbing for Davis. This scheme will be dangerous once and if White can throw the ball.

Merling not lighting it up. He has looked very good this year imo

if we could get ginn to take a hit like pat we'd have a WR.

true that... for a little guy, pat white sure is confident lowering the shoulder and taking the hit... i guess that's what 4 years of option running in college does to you ! heh !

I voted maybe...cause I just haven't seen enough of it at this level...My college squad runs it so I do see it a lot at that level. I personally think what I saw out of PW was promising yesterday

i think he will be a dangerous player once he gets acclimated to this level of play. in the open feild the lines he takes are phenominal his awareness is increadible. we jsut need to let the coaches figure out the best way get him comfortable and playing with instincts. to me it looks like he has pretty much pre decided that he is handing the ball off before the snap rather than running the option, in wvu he knew he was the decision maker and he was gonna make a big play when he took the ball and the continuity he had with slaton knowing his abilities in certain situations. anyone who got to watch them play together got to see them work magic. soon he will be good he jsut has too much talent not to along with being a flat out winner i think he will be a big time playmaker for us in the future

White can be effective but that comes at a price, much like the wildcat. You have to take the starting QB out of the game, thus taking him out of rhythm with the offense. Me personally, I don't like that trade off. That doesn't mean Pat White can't be productive, but I don't think it's even worth it.

Now if the question is, is White worth a second round pick, no. I think anybody you pick in the first day should be a prospect to be a good to great starter. I doubt Pat White will ever start at any position so I maintain it was a bad pick.

If Ginn makes that block on the safety White is in for a Touchdown.

I think it can be effective and I'd like to see more of it. Calling Pat White a bust after his limited playing time is ignorant.

There is a lot more success to come out of this formation with Pat White. His long run is the tip of the ice, the only reason he didn't take it to the house is because Ginn and Grove were in his cut back lanes. My problem is more how they use him and when they passed out of the formation it was very obvious. Anyone who wants to rip on his accuracy on that pass, needs to watch the film again both of our tackle wiffed on blocks and he was sandwiched well he threw. He was throwing the ball away. That said they need to keep a back in the back field with him when throwing the ball other wise it gives a way the play. Yeah he over threw Ginn against Atlanta, but how many rookie QBs get thrown into a game in the second qt and hit a bomb. It is a low percentage pass for a starting qb.

Bottom line is our base offense and wildcat was not moving the ball against New England. Mainly because they were facing 9 and 10 in the box. we switched it up got several mismatches and created several big plays to get a touchdown. The reason it got stopped in the second half is we ran the same 2 plays out of it. Now I would look for him to fake the run out of the pistol, drop back and throw deep. This is a very good option out of the formation becasue the defense has to go to man with the wide outs so they can spy the rb and qb out of the back field.

One more thing can we please put the Massaqui crap to bed. His hands make Ginns look soft, he makes no effort to tackle the db after he fumbles or is intercepted in coverage. Lots of bad coming out of Cleveland about this guy his attitude and work ethic.

There is a lot more success to come out of this formation with Pat White. His long run is the tip of the ice, the only reason he didn't take it to the house is because Ginn and Grove were in his cut back lanes. My problem is more how they use him and when they passed out of the formation it was very obvious. Anyone who wants to rip on his accuracy on that pass, needs to watch the film again both of our tackle wiffed on blocks and he was sandwiched well he threw. He was throwing the ball away. That said they need to keep a back in the back field with him when throwing the ball other wise it gives a way the play. Yeah he over threw Ginn against Atlanta, but how many rookie QBs get thrown into a game in the second qt and hit a bomb. It is a low percentage pass for a starting qb.

Bottom line is our base offense and wildcat was not moving the ball against New England. Mainly because they were facing 9 and 10 in the box. we switched it up got several mismatches and created several big plays to get a touchdown. The reason it got stopped in the second half is we ran the same 2 plays out of it. Now I would look for him to fake the run out of the pistol, drop back and throw deep. This is a very good option out of the formation becasue the defense has to go to man with the wide outs so they can spy the rb and qb out of the back field.

One more thing can we please put the Massaqui crap to bed. His hands make Ginns look soft, he makes no effort to tackle the db after he fumbles or is intercepted in coverage. Lots of bad coming out of Cleveland about this guy his attitude and work ethic.

gotta agree with most of what you said...

i really liked massaquoi coming out of college, and i still wish we would've drafted him, but hey everyone is entitled to his opinion

Back
Top Bottom