We will NOT Pay Jennings and Hartline AND get a first round receiver | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We will NOT Pay Jennings and Hartline AND get a first round receiver

would rather like hartline walk and draft a WR in the first and 3rd and a DB in the 2nd and third with either a Pass rusher or TE thrown in there. Rest of the draft is oline and dline.

I couldn't agree more about letting Hartline walk. Why spend money on a WR that has 3 TD in 48 games??? I would love Jennings and a 1st rd WR to be our starters. The best case scenario would be a trade down in the late teens or early 20's for an extra 2nd and select Keenan Allen or Terrence Williams. With (3) 2nds, (2) 3rds, and a 4th, you can draft a CB, S, DE, TE, Tackle, and another WR.

This claim is made with the premise that we will go sign one of the big 3:Jennings Wallace or Bowe.

I just want to make this clear,if we pay one of the big 3, and if you want us to draft a first round receiver, we will not be paying Hartline.

We will not be spending a first round pick to split snaps with Hartline for 4+ years.

If you want to pay up Hartline then it will guaranteed be second rounder or lower in the draft for a wideout because you won't be paying Hartline 4-5 million in years 2-4 to be the third/fourth option receiver.

Which is why I want Hartline to walk. I want to get Jennings or Wallace, draft Cordarrelle Patterson, and then also sign a cheap FA wr that can be serviceable and split snaps with Patterson for the first couple years.

Go get Ramses Barden who is tall, fast and huge hands to split with Patterson on the far side.

Hartline had a lot of catches and I believe he got over 1,000 yards (over 250 against Arizona)....nice numbers, but I think he only caught ONE touchdown for us. On any other team, I think Hartline wouldn't be more than maybe a #3 wide receiver. I would make him a fair offer but if he is looking at anything over $5 million a season I say "SO LONG." I think we can sign Jennings and draft either Patterson or Keenan Allen, and take another WR later on.....we still have Bess and Moore. I hope we can resign Hartline but it's not like his one touchdown is irreplaceable.

Id like to sign Jennings and let Hartline walk. Then draft 2 WRs. I really hope we can get Wheaton and Swope. Ill be doing back flips in my living room if that happens.

That is very risky, with Hartline, you already know what your getting (A good #2, or very good #3), with drafting a receiver to start right away, you are hoping they will play as well or better then Hartline. There is no guarantee Wheaton or Swoope will be as good as Hartline has been, or could be with a better receiver next to him to take the away the better corner covering him.

That is very risky, with Hartline, you already know what your getting (A good #2, or very good #3), with drafting a receiver to start right away, you are hoping they will play as well or better then Hartline. There is no guarantee Wheaton or Swoope will be as good as Hartline has been, or could be with a better receiver next to him to take the away the better corner covering him.

You're right. There is no guarantee that a rookie will match Hartline's production. However, if they sign Jennings, Hartline himself wouldn't likely match his own production from last season either. He got the number of catches he did because he was the top option in a lousy group of receivers. His lack of touchdowns speaks volumes, although I do feel he probably should have had more like 5 TDs on the year rather than 1. Still, I am not a big proponent of paying a middling player like Hartline upwards of 5 million a year. Not when they should be able to replace at least a good chunk of his production at a much, much friendlier cap number.

Yeah, a rookie isn't likely to accumulate over 1000 receiving yards and they probably wouldn't get 80 catches either. They could possibly catch 40-50 balls and get into the end zone 5-6 times, though. Hartline isn't worth the money. Give me Jennings and a 2nd-3rd round rookie WR at a combined cost of around 9-9.5 million all day long over a Jennings/Hartline combo at a cost of approx. 13 million. That difference in money alone would be enough to get FA help at OL and/or CB-or help pay for bringing someone like Starks back or even use towards a new deal for Reshad Jones.

As long as this FO doesn't think adding just 1 receiver is the end to our woes I will be happy. We should be adding through a combination of FA and the Draft at least 3 receivers....two of which should be able to FLY!

I'd sign one of the "big 3," and Hartline. We wouldn't necessarily have to get a 1st round WR either.....I'd be more than happy with a WR taken in one of our 2nd's or 3rd's

I disagree with the OP.

Hartlines opening negotiating position is unlikely to be what he signs for regardless of where. I say let's negotiate with him and try to sign him to a deal the team can afford. He was our best WR and is a legitimate #2 WR, which we need. Bring in Jennings. If we can't fit both of them under our cap then we mismanaged something somewhere besides WR.

Rookies have affordable cap numbers. Yes we can draft a couple WR's and sin both Hartline and Jennings. Non-rookie veteran minimums aren't the savings you might think, and the coaching staff will not be satisfied with a mediocre journeyman or an UDFA. I'll go on record now as predicting we will draft 2 or 3 rookie WR's. That's a position which is vital and at which we are talent-starved.

This offense needs 4 good WR's. We routinely start 3, a split end (currently missing entirely from the roster), a Flanker (where our best WR Hartline plays), and slot (where Jennings and Bess both primarily play).

Realistically, Bess can ONLY play the slot. Jennings can move around and play all three well, but is at his best using his quickness in the slot. Hartline can be moved around as well, but is most useful working the sidelines rather than the slot. To keep WR's fresh and send one deep very often, you need 4 WR's for those 3 positions.

Jennings, Hartline, with Bess and Matthews adding depth for injuries still leaves one starting split end position open. That is our deep threat starting rookie WR.

I'd be psyched for a WR corps that looked like this,

Jennings (FA)
Hartline (FA)
Bess
Stedman Bailey (2nd Round pick #1)
Matthews

Sign Jared Cook in FA, resign Fasano. This is very doable, I would hope :D

I agree with OP though, I don't think we sign both Jennings & Hartline as well as draft a WR in the 1st. Plenty of value in the second, along with us having other holes to fill and there being more value at DE where we're drafting.

Id like to sign Jennings and let Hartline walk. Then draft 2 WRs. I really hope we can get Wheaton and Swope. Ill be doing back flips in my living room if that happens.

im good with that but Bailey would be better. And I think Swope might last until 4th or fifth round. He got injured at Senior Bowl.

I totally disagree with the notion that a WR has to absolutely be taken in the first round no matter who we obtain or retain!!!!

I remember, the year was 2007. Ted Ginn was the most explosive player there ever was to grace the college playing field. Pat Willis was drafted right behind us. Ted Ginn is in the super bowl, but as a returner, no value guy.

I disagree with the OP.

Hartlines opening negotiating position is unlikely to be what he signs for regardless of where. I say let's negotiate with him and try to sign him to a deal the team can afford. He was our best WR and is a legitimate #2 WR, which we need. Bring in Jennings. If we can't fit both of them under our cap then we mismanaged something somewhere besides WR.

Rookies have affordable cap numbers. Yes we can draft a couple WR's and sin both Hartline and Jennings. Non-rookie veteran minimums aren't the savings you might think, and the coaching staff will not be satisfied with a mediocre journeyman or an UDFA. I'll go on record now as predicting we will draft 2 or 3 rookie WR's. That's a position which is vital and at which we are talent-starved.

This offense needs 4 good WR's. We routinely start 3, a split end (currently missing entirely from the roster), a Flanker (where our best WR Hartline plays), and slot (where Jennings and Bess both primarily play).

Realistically, Bess can ONLY play the slot. Jennings can move around and play all three well, but is at his best using his quickness in the slot. Hartline can be moved around as well, but is most useful working the sidelines rather than the slot. To keep WR's fresh and send one deep very often, you need 4 WR's for those 3 positions.

Jennings, Hartline, with Bess and Matthews adding depth for injuries still leaves one starting split end position open. That is our deep threat starting rookie WR.

I totally disagree with the notion that a WR has to absolutely be taken in the first round no matter who we obtain or retain!!!!

I remember, the year was 2007. Ted Ginn was the most explosive player there ever was to grace the college playing field. Pat Willis was drafted right behind us. Ted Ginn is in the super bowl, but as a returner, no value guy.

I agree with your point, but there are multiple receivers that will go in the first that I want ie Cordarelle Patterson, Keenan Allen

patterson will be a top 10 WR eventually. Wait n see

This claim is made with the premise that we will go sign one of the big 3:Jennings Wallace or Bowe.

I just want to make this clear,if we pay one of the big 3, and if you want us to draft a first round receiver, we will not be paying Hartline.

We will not be spending a first round pick to split snaps with Hartline for 4+ years.

If you want to pay up Hartline then it will guaranteed be second rounder or lower in the draft for a wideout because you won't be paying Hartline 4-5 million in years 2-4 to be the third/fourth option receiver.

Which is why I want Hartline to walk. I want to get Jennings or Wallace, draft Cordarrelle Patterson, and then also sign a cheap FA wr that can be serviceable and split snaps with Patterson for the first couple years.

Go get Ramses Barden who is tall, fast and huge hands to split with Patterson on the far side.

im a huge proponant of not brining Hartline back especially if he is trying to fetch 6 or 7 M, the key for me is the draft is type deep where EVEN if we get a big three wr we can still get a pretty darn good wr in the 2nd round and still have mathews and bess, and save the 6M

Why spend 2 draft picks on WR's? The team needs more than WR's. The way to beat the Pats is with defense, not by outscoring them. The Giants beat them by pressuring Brady with 4 pass rushers (without blitzing).
The Ravens shut them out in the 2nd half in the AFC championship game. Get the picture.
You need a balanced offense to win. Its great to have good WR's, but you also need to be able to convert on 3rd and short. This isn't arena football.

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

im a huge proponant of not brining Hartline back especially if he is trying to fetch 6 or 7 M, the key for me is the draft is type deep where EVEN if we get a big three wr we can still get a pretty darn good wr in the 2nd round and still have mathews and bess, and save the 6M

That's his agent's startng point. I bet he signs for 4.5-5.5 M (with someone).

I'd sign one of the "big 3," and Hartline. We wouldn't necessarily have to get a 1st round WR either.....I'd be more than happy with a WR taken in one of our 2nd's or 3rd's

that would make wrapping 16-18 M on three players kind of a waste. the ONLY way i see hartline back is if we want to go DB and OLINE early and often, otherwise its a waste of good cap space to give him 6 M when he isnt worth 4

Back
Top Bottom