We’d be crazy to go into next season without 2 competent QB’s | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We’d be crazy to go into next season without 2 competent QB’s

Elle Clouds

Active Roster
Reaction score
With the rash of injuries at the QB position around the league, if we keep Moore, expect another season just like this one. We need to bring in some mid round quarterbacks from now on (like many posters here have said)

The entire QB pool needs to be scouted. From the top tier prospects to day 2 and 3 guys. All options should be on the table and if the best case scenario means we have a fully healthy Ryan Tannehill and a future young franchise type of QB backing him up . . . .well then so be it. With the way QBs are dropping in the NFL u are likely going to see a backup get extended action eventually.

The entire QB pool needs to be scouted. From the top tier prospects to day 2 and 3 guys. All options should be on the table and if the best case scenario means we have a fully healthy Ryan Tannehill and a future young franchise type of QB backing him up . . . .well then so be it. With the way QBs are dropping in the NFL u are likely going to see a backup get extended action eventually.

No interest in FAs?

If we slide far enough to draft a top qb prospect we need to grab him. Give Tannehill some real competition and give him next year to prove he is the guy. No playoffs or another serious injury you move on to the guy waiting in the wings.

Draft a QB with one of our fourths.

For all of his limitations, Matt Moore is better than over 90% of the mid round QBs that get drafted. Here's the last 23 QBs drafted from the 3rd-5th rounds of the last 5 drafts:

1- Davis Webb
2- C.J. Beathard
3- Joshua Dobbs
4- Nathan Peterman
5- Jacoby Brissett
6- Cody Kessler
7- Connor Cook
8- Dak Prescott
9- Cardale Jones
10-Kevin Hogan
11-Garrett Grayson
12-Sean Mannion
13-Bryce Petty
14-Brett Hundley
15-Logan Thomas
16-Tom Savage
17-Aaron Murray
18-AJ McCarron
19-Mike Glennon
20-Matt Barkley
21-Ryan Nassib
22-Tyler Wilson
23-Landry Jones

Prescott is a stud, but he's the only guy on the list that is head and shoulders better than Moore. There are probably a couple of guys you'd want more than Moore. Brissett and McCarron specifically, but mid and late round QBs are very low payoff picks that a very likely to never contribute a thing to your team. There just aren't enough good QBs. That's why teams no longer invest a ton in their backup QB unless they are actually trying to find a guy to replace their starter because he isn't any good. If your QB gets hurt at the start of the year, in most cases teams are just best off packing it in rather than spending $10 million for a one year rental. The best you can hope for in that situation is a .500 season and a mediocre spot in the draft.

With the rash of injuries at the QB position around the league, if we keep Moore, expect another season just like this one. We need to bring in some mid round quarterbacks from now on (like many posters here have said)
Define 'competent'? You can stick Joe Montana behind a crap OLine and the results will be marginal. Just look up Dallas Cowboys and see how their QB is faring. He's no Manning or Marino yet his Oline is making him look decent.

For all of his limitations, Matt Moore is better than over 90% of the mid round QBs that get drafted. Here's the last 23 QBs drafted from the 3rd-5th rounds of the last 5 drafts:

1- Davis Webb
2- C.J. Beathard
3- Joshua Dobbs
4- Nathan Peterman
5- Jacoby Brissett
6- Cody Kessler
7- Connor Cook
8- Dak Prescott
9- Cardale Jones
10-Kevin Hogan
11-Garrett Grayson
12-Sean Mannion
13-Bryce Petty
14-Brett Hundley
15-Logan Thomas
16-Tom Savage
17-Aaron Murray
18-AJ McCarron
19-Mike Glennon
20-Matt Barkley
21-Ryan Nassib
22-Tyler Wilson
23-Landry Jones

Prescott is a stud, but he's the only guy on the list that is head and shoulders better than Moore. There are probably a couple of guys you'd want more than Moore. Brissett and McCarron specifically, but mid and late round QBs are very low payoff picks that a very likely to never contribute a thing to your team. There just aren't enough good QBs. That's why teams no longer invest a ton in their backup QB unless they are actually trying to find a guy to replace their starter because he isn't any good. If your QB gets hurt at the start of the year, in most cases teams are just best off packing it in rather than spending $10 million for a one year rental. The best you can hope for in that situation is a .500 season and a mediocre spot in the draft.

If Gase goes into next season with Moore, he deserves to be fired. Your reasoning is shocking.

Tannehill has never been pushed for his job. It was given to him and everything else didn't seem to matter.

This team would be best served rebuilding it's Oline and bringing in a suitable backup who isn't content just holding a clipboard and getting a tan. At least Don Strock and Scott Mitchell earned their paychecks in Miami.

Unfortunately Saturday's amazing performance rockets the guy I wanted as a hopeful 2nd rounder out of reach and puts Baker Mayfield squarely into Heisman contention. This kid may not have the measurables but he sure has the "it" factor in spades!

I think it would be great to have a young qb to groom if not a top draft prospect with the ability to really challenge Tannehill fast. However, Moore is probably better than the vast majority of backup qbs around the league at the moment and I hope he's on the roster next season as well.

1- Davis Webb
2- C.J. Beathard
3- Joshua Dobbs
4- Nathan Peterman
5- Jacoby Brissett
6- Cody Kessler
7- Connor Cook
8- Dak Prescott
9- Cardale Jones
10-Kevin Hogan
11-Garrett Grayson
12-Sean Mannion
13-Bryce Petty
14-Brett Hundley
15-Logan Thomas
16-Tom Savage
17-Aaron Murray
18-AJ McCarron
19-Mike Glennon
20-Matt Barkley
21-Ryan Nassib
22-Tyler Wilson
23-Landry Jones

What am I missing on Brissett? Every time I watch him with games on the line he takes sack after sack. Sometimes its the line other times he's holding it too long. He been shut out like twice in 8 or 9 career starts and Pats fans buddies of mine think his wind up is Byron Leftwichesque, just not quite as bad. I'm missing the boat on the Brissett love.

For all of his limitations, Matt Moore is better than over 90% of the mid round QBs that get drafted.

Moore? A guy who can't read the D, thus doesn't call protections. Doughty can do that. I'm done with him

If Gase goes into next season with Moore, he deserves to be fired. Your reasoning is shocking.

Tannehill has never been pushed for his job. It was given to him and everything else didn't seem to matter.

This team would be best served rebuilding it's Oline and bringing in a suitable backup who isn't content just holding a clipboard and getting a tan. At least Don Strock and Scott Mitchell earned their paychecks in Miami.

As fans we’d all love to see Tannehill get truly pushed for the starters position. Adding a high quality young QB through the draft is ideal, but does Gase want that?

It’s hard to say because Gase is all about competition, however if Tannehill is really his guy he’s not going to want to create a possible qb controversy down the line. He’s going to want Tannehill to be seen as the guy and have a capable backup that’s not going to get the fans calling for him to make a change. If we have a highly regarded rookie (let’s say we draft someone on day two) and Tannehill struggles, the calls for change will be pretty strong.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for competition. In fact I wouldn’t be against Gase throwing a quarterback competition next off season with Tannehill, Cutler (if he still wants to play), Moore (if he’s still under contract?), and a newly drafted quarterback competing for the job and backup job. But in all likelihood that’s not going to happen and Tannehill will be the guy and be backed up with a solid option that’s not going to push him.

What am I missing on Brissett? Every time I watch him with games on the line he takes sack after sack. Sometimes its the line other times he's holding it too long. He been shut out like twice in 8 or 9 career starts and Pats fans buddies of mine think his wind up is Byron Leftwichesque, just not quite as bad. I'm missing the boat on the Brissett love.

Brissett is still developing. He’s got a solid QB rating, a positive TD-INT ratio, and has shown he can be a threat with his arm and legs. Do I think he’s going to be a top tier guy? Unlikely. However, I do feel he’s got enough in him to be a solid enough starting quarterback in this league and could have success in the right system with a good defense backing him up.

He’s unlikely to ever be a world beater, but from what I’ve seen he’s going game manager with some upside about him, and QBs like him can make a career for themselves on the back of that.

Back
Top Bottom