We’d be crazy to go into next season without 2 competent QB’s | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We’d be crazy to go into next season without 2 competent QB’s

LOL @ anyone who thinks ANY rookie would come close to "challenging" or "pushing" Tannehill.

He would destroy anyone in camp, even a 1st rounder.

Be realistic.

Tannehill has never destroyed anyone in camp. Cutler performed better in practice fresh off the couch than Tannehill ever has.

When Bradford was traded to Minnesota he was very close in age as Tannehill now, similar cap number, had previous knee surgery too...the Eagles were content going into the season with him as the starter but that didn't stop them from drafting the QB they loved in Carson Wentz, then they got lucky with the Bridgewater injury getting a great deal for him out of desperation a week before the season, which cleared the way for Wentz and his 16 starts as a rookie went a long way in the development and improvement he's shown in year 2. Can you really say Tannehill has shown that much more than Bradford had at the time he was traded?

We need to take a QB within the 1st two rounds, it's imperative. My dream scenario is Lamar Jackson in the 2nd. After that any team offering a 1st for Tannehill can have him. I'd strongly consider two 2nds as well, especially from a team like Cleveland that picks 3 times that round next year. But I highly doubt we get a 1, I don't think Tannehill is that highly thought of around the league.

Bradford never came close to the 8 game stretch Tannehill put up before the injury nor did he ever have the mobility or the rocket arm. I dunno if he's as skilled at reading D's as Tannehill has become, so we'll let that one go. But be that as it may,you're not comparing apples to apples. And Lamar Jackson is no Wentz and will never be, so not so friggin fast on betting the farm on him.

Assuming he comes back fully physically and has no mental setbacks from having back to back knee injuries, he certainly is the "undisputed" starter.

But gambling that Tannehill reverts to form with no setbacks and not addressing the QB position behind him would be extremely foolish.

And I have to laugh at your air of confidence that Tannehill has been and has played like some untouchable piece during his career. A clear case of "battered Dolfan Syndrome" where you have seen so much bad QB play, one guy comes in and performs halfway decent and you assume he should be undisputed at the position at all times.

Tannehill has shown average throughout his career, hell a little below average at times, but clearly those last 8 games he was playing at an above average level and playing the best ball of his career.

I wish him well in his recovery, we miss his ability on the read option and his accuracy and ball placement on longer throws.

I did a little research 2-3 years ago on high QB drafts. Quite rare for a team .500 or above to draft a QB high and those that do often already have a QB (Brady, Rodgers) and have few/no big holes. Given Tannehill's play last year (game 5 > injury), given the team made the playoffs, given the big holes, given his play compared to Cutler/Moore, there won't be a high pick QB. Obviously, that can change if his recovery appears non-existent or poor prognosis, but, otherwise, rounds 4-5 are the best QB-hungry fans can hope for.,

I expect Miami to draft a quarterback in the middle rounds to compete for a backup role. Matt Moore can't play forever and even though I think Adam Gase likes Brandon Doughty I don't think he's ready.

That could all change if a quarterback falls into the Dolphins lap that they think has higher upside than Ryan Tannehill, but I don't think that's likely.

A qb I like in the middle rounds is Luke Falk. When I watch him I think of Kirk Cousins, but I've also read comparisons to Sam Bradford. I like his accuracy and ball placement, which is something that usually translates well to the next level.

We need at least 1 QB, maybe 2.

Look, I like Moore, I really do, but if Gase cant trust him to run his offense, why the hell do we keep him? He needs to go.

Doughty....do I need to say more? Instead of promoting him from the PS for a game or 2, we sign Fales......

What does that tell you about the faith Gase has in these guys?

Depending on where we draft and who falls where, we need to take the BEST QB we can get. If it's Rosen or Mayfield, take him, maybe even move up for him. Let Gase develop the kid for a year or two behind Tanny if need be. That is IF Tanny comes back and plays AT LEAST as well as he did in the last half of last year. If I'm Gase, I'm not banking my coaching career on Tannehill.

If Tanny balls out, fine, now we have a guy that can possibly be traded for a valuable draft pick. Rinse and repeat.

But being in the SAME position we are in this year should NEVER happen to Gase again. Hell, we have been saying for years since Marino left, that we need to draft a QB EVERY YEAR.

I know this might be an unpopular opinion but I wouldn't mind if the Dolphins replicated what the Chiefs did with Mahomes/Smith and drafted a stud QB in the first round. Especially if the right guy falls to them (*cough* Baker Mayfield *cough*).

I know we have a lot of holes to fill and using a first round pick on a QB when we already have Ryan might be considered a waste of a valuable pick. But I think it's the smart way to go.

Some of the benefits would be:

1) No more Matt Moore. Not to say I don't like the guy, but he clearly offers no upside at the position and no competition for Ryan.

2) No more 'Jay Cutler' emergency signings. Yes, Ryan will be (fingers crossed) 100% healthy next year. But if 2017 has taught us anything is that sometimes the weirdest things happen in football when you least expect them, and having a Plan B at the most important position in the game is something I wouldn't fault the FO for. In fact, I would applaud their vision and the fact that they learned their lesson after this year.

3) Securing the QB position in the long term.
If healthy, there's no doubt Ryan will be the starter in 2018. But he'll also be 30 years old. Not saying that's an issue per se, but with injury concerns you have to start looking at the big picture. In the end Ryan may go back to being the player he was pre-injury, that's what we all hope for. In fact, we all hope he can become an even better QB when he returns. But banking on it without a backup plan would be foolish, imo.

I honestly don't see our FO picking a QB in the first round. We'll probably pick a guy to compete with Moore to be Ryan's backup, and that's good too. But if the opportunity is there for us in the first round to have a better Plan B than "Matt Moore + rookie", then I say go for it. The Chiefs did it and I don't think they're regretting it at all. And they shouldn't. Their QB situation is as sound as it gets and a lot of teams would love to be in their position right now.

It's at least time to look at developmental options in rounds 2-4. I love Matt Moore.... He's a lifer and the ultimate team player. But if Tannehill goes down, we know what we have with him and that's another wasted season.

Is Keenum a free agent after the season? Solid option to replace Moore if they're still sold on Tannehill being the franchise QB and not suffering another set back. He will probably be considered for a starting gig though.

i see there’s more underrating of tannehill going on this thread

By the same suspects

Mayfields height is gonna play a huge role in how high he goes.

Dump Matt Moore I don’t care if he will play for free. Enough already with the no upside no coverage Id can’t set a protection stuff.

Last edited:
this about 17: he was getting Gase's O last season.. he was ready pre-camp... one thing good about his surgery: he's being schooled in the intricate nuances of this offense and will be well versed when he hits OTAs in March/April.

look for a seasoned Tannehill in '18.

but still draft Baker Mayfield!

getting a first rd qb. is not bad move for dolphins next yr. if that qb they real want for future. can adam develope a rookie qb ?? it seem to me he likes veteran qb...

this about 17: he was getting Gase's O last season.. he was ready pre-camp... one thing good about his surgery: he's being schooled in the intricate nuances of this offense and will be well versed when he hits OTAs in March/April.

look for a seasoned Tannehill in '18.

but still draft Baker Mayfield!

I continue to think Miami won't draft a day 1 QB; maybe not day 2. No way they'll draft a QB high who won't start and pass on a desperately needed OG, FS, TE. Too many significant holes. Teams don't draft a 'this year's' starter when they already have one who was playing quite well.

I think we'll start looking at QBs in the 3rd. Not saying what I would so, saying what I think the organization is going to do.

I'm extremely confident that they remain committed to Tannehill as the long-term starter. That confidence is based on a number of things, such as what the organization has said to reputable reporters, what Gase has said directly about the subject, what Gase has said indirectly, and how they are managing his 'rehab.'

I see a lot of talk of Baker Mayfield, but he ain't gonna be there in the third round.

I continue to think Miami won't draft a day 1 QB; maybe not day 2. No way they'll draft a QB high who won't start and pass on a desperately needed OG, FS, TE. Too many significant holes. Teams don't draft a 'this year's' starter when they already have one who was playing quite well.

Thing is, we can plug in sub-par play at OG, S, TE, LBer...you name it.

It has become painfully obvious that Gase's offense just doesnt work without competent play at QB. The whole thing falls apart.

We apparently have no problem drafting a project player in the first round, we just took Harris there. I'm not knocking Harris, but the FO couldnt possibly have thought he would be a day 1 starter when they drafted him, or could they? lol.

If a top QB is on the board on, or very close to our pick, you take him and run.

I like Tannehill, but we desperately need better play and depth at the QB position. Take the chance on one of these guys and develop him. Barring injury Tanny will start and finish the 2018 season for us, but we NEED to develop more depth there.

QB is the most important position on the team. Dont skimp here.

Back
Top Bottom