Welcome to the FinHeaven Salary Cap Forum | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Welcome to the FinHeaven Salary Cap Forum

BuffBillsMan90

is Clumpalicious!!
Reaction score
Welcome to the FinHeaven Salary Cap Forum

Click Here to view the Salary Structure chart

DISCLAIMER: Much time and energy has been put into producing this cap page. Yes, its accuracy is contingent upon the many public resources available, thus, the information is NOT 100% correct and there is no attempt to portray it as such. The discrepancies are directly proportional to the accuracy of the bonuses, the amount and how they are applied to the cap.

References and links will be added to help explain the basics of the cap and to give credence to the numbers presented for each and every player. Some links cover a number of players because they are members of the same draft class.

The salary cap page remains a work in progress. The content and style will be evaluated so as to produce the best page possible. Please send any questions, comments, or suggestions to AJ, Muck, or myself via PM on the message boards.

Robert Balistreri (a.k.a. clumpedplatelet)

Key Dates:

March 2 Deadline for submission of qualifying offers by clubs to their restricted free agents whose contracts have expired and to whom they desire to retain a right of first refusal/compensation.
Deadline for clubs to submit offer of minimum salary to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with fewer than three seasons of free agency credit whose contracts have expired.
March 3 Veteran free agency signing period begins.
Trading period begins.
March 28-April 1 NFL Annual Meeting, Palm Beach, Fla.
April 3 NFL Europe League regular season kicks off.
April 16 Signing period ends for restricted fre agents.
April 23 Deadline for old club to exercise right of first refusal to restricted free agents.
April 24-25 NFL Draft, New York.
May 10-13 NFL Coaches Career Development Symposium, Orlando, Fla.
May 25-26 NFL Spring Metting, Jacksonville, Fla.
June 1 Deadline for old clubs to send tender to unsigned unrestricted free agents to receive exclusive negotiating rights for rest of season if player is not signed by another club by July 22.
Deadline for old clubs to send tender to unsigned restricted free agents or to extend qualifying offer to retain exclusive negotiating rights

Welcome to Finheaven’s very own cap page. Yes, I know, why is a Bills’ fan doing our cap page? Well, first off, the idea was advanced by AJ and Muck for me to do one. Second, I guess when people here direct questions to me asking for cap information, it shows that and I guess that I’ve gained a general acceptance for my cap knowledge and this is one of the reasons I was asked.

Lastly, I have been working on my Miami cap spreadsheet for nearly 3 years and this is an excellent opportunity afforded me to showcase my work. However, I’ve had help and must give kudos to some people: MiamiDonW (as he is known at KFFL) or Aqua here. Haven’t seen him here very often but we’ve collaborated in the past and much of what I’ve done has been reviewed by him, AJ & Muck for the opportunity to showcase my work, AdamJT13 at KFFL for providing me and many others with the cap adjustments (NLTBE debits/credits I’ve referred to), Miguel at PatsFans.com for his work to provide an excellent cap & reference page, and Merman who has his own cap page at another Fins site and someone I’ve just begun and will continue collaborating with, especially on the accuracy of the bonuses. I thank them all!

Here’s a start on the references, more definitive references and links will be added and updated later:

http://www.nflpa.org/Members/main.asp?subPage=Active+Player+Search provides salary information

http://www.patscap.com/ provides links to contracts for recent draft classes and cap information

http://www.kffl.com “Hot off the Wire†is a good source for up to date information, but you must be a subscriber to use the achieves.

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/default.aspx USA Today Salary database

http://www.thefinforum.com/SiteContent/Content/dolphinssalarycap.htm Merman's salary cap page

Quick Notes:
I will briefly explain a few items that you see in the cap page.

N/A: Not available. I’m still working on a breakdown of the cap implications of a release of these players. Applies differently for Ricky Williams because his 2004 salary is partially based on 2003 incentives. Once his future salaries are set, this will be updated.

Other Bonuses (according to the information I’ve received):
Tim Bowens: He has a $1.8 million option payment. Due date is unknown but likely before free agency begins. If not paid, he becomes an UFA after 2004. Potentially, bonus amortization accelerates into 2004 if not paid. If paid, it is amortized over 2004-2006 at $600,000 per season and represents a $1.2 million cap savings on my sheet.

Jay Fiedler: He has a $2 million option bonus that activates 2006 due mid April 2004. If not paid, his amortization from 2006 will accelerate into just 2004 or both 2004 & 2005. This is one of the problems Merman and I have discussed and looking into. I do not believe the bonus counts on 2004 cap until exercised, thus I have his cap number as $4.8125 million////CHANGE 2/17: Using the USA Today database, Fielder's amortization apparently should be 1,112,500/season

Brian Griese: Has a $5.935 million roster bonus due March 1st, 2004

Sammy Knight: Has a $300,000 roster bonus. Due date unknown.

Brock Marion: Has a $500,000 roster bonus. Due date unknown.

Junior Seau: Has a $500,000 roster bonus. Due date unknown

Zach Thomas: Changes 2/17: Has $4.5 million roster bonus due March 3rd. If not paid, he becomes a UFA regardless, but that is highly unlikely. Since it will be paid as a signing bonus (guaranteed roster bonus treated as signing bonus), it is amortized from 2004-2008 at $900,000 per season. This represents a $3.6 million cap savings on my sheet. It's still likely that his salary will be converted to bonus as well. I will change that when it happens

Derrius Thompson: His $400,000 roster bonus guaranteed

A few other players have roster bonuses: Mark Dixon, Todd Perry, and Tim Ruddy. Those amounts can be seen in the “Other Bonuses†column.

Column Notes:
First three columns are self-explanatory.

Salary(Cap): This is primarily for players signing veteran minimum deals. But I will also use it to highlight players signed midseason. The “Salary†column will have the yearly salary and this column will have the prorated salary based on number of games.

Amortized Bonuses: signing bonuses, bonuses from restructurings, and previous option payment amortization

Other Bonuses: Roster bonuses or option payments due in 2004.

Cap Hit: the cap hit for 2004

Cap Savings before 6/1: the cap savings taking the “cap hit†column and subtracting minimum salary of $305,000 (Top 51 rule) and accelerated bonus amortization

2004 Dead Cap before 6/1: Player released prior to June 1st has ALL remaining bonus amortization accelerated in 2004 cap yearThis column also includes any bonuses that would not be paid if released before they are due

2004 Dead Cap after 6/1: Player released after 6/1 has 1 year of amortization (the number in this column) and the rest accelerates into 2005 cap year. There is an exception for players released after November 1st of League Year (this is why Tampa Bay did not release MeShawn).

Other notes to consider:

• 1) An expected cap adjustment that I’ve estimated at $1.5 million.

2) Increase in Ricky Williams salary from $2.635 million to approx. $3.5 millionHis salary for 2004 & 2005 increased by $1.1 million to $3.735 million and $3.74 million respectively

3) Tender offers for restricted and exclusive rights’ free agents. If all were tendered at the minimum, except Ogunleye who is likely to be tendered with at least the 1st rd tender, this would add between $3.5-4 million to the capTender amounts have not been released as 1/20/04. I will work under the estimates of RFA: $675,000 for minimum, $1.5 million for 1st rd tender, and $1.95 million for 1st & 3rd rd tender. EFA: $400,000

4) Top 51 cap charges plus all other bonuses apply to the cap from the start of the League Year until the final 53-man roster is determined. Miami now has more than 51 players signed for 2004

5) I will update as new information becomes available.

I hope you find this interesting and informative. Stay tuned for my cap article that will come out soon.

Let’s talk about the cap baby, let’s talk about cap jail-e. Let’s talk about all the good things and bad things that may be. Let’s talk about the cap! Let’s about the cap!

Clump

Clump, what can we say? Your contributions are awesome.

By putting all the data right there for everyone to see, it takes away from the "Oh, he's a Bills fan" response you often hear. You'll still be a pain in the ***, but everyone can look at the numbers and judge for themselves. What more could we ask for?

Thanks for all your efforts on this.:)

So you actually are good for something Clumpy :). Just joking man. Awesome job on the cap. I noticed some players are missing? Is it just data that is unavailable or what? Awesome job again.

Click on the link underneath page's title. That takes you to the Free Agent Page. That's where you'll find the "missing players". :)

Yeah, thanks again Clumpy. This place has been fiending for a page like this for a long time. :)

wow Clumpy that is kick arse.

I also was in FLA and took home and page the Sun posted with less detailed CAP info. I will cross check as soon as I can.

P.S. you s/not underline in posts since they would appear to be links but are not ;-)

Hey Clump, can you pop in Peyton Manning and his expected cap hit for us? Thanks :lol: :jk: You also forgot to thank me in your opening :(

Oh well, maybe if I had actually, you know, contributed I would have gotten thnaked (lousy stipulations).

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet

Cap Savings before 6/1: the cap savings taking the “cap hit†column and subtracting minimum salary of $225,000 (Top 51 rule)

Excellent idea I may steal it. :pirate:

But this is going to be hard to explain until they sign 52 players. :lol:

BTW I know that you know. $230. The only reason I noticed was I had to look up the column meaning. ;)

Actually, I thought it didn't change to $230,000 until 2005 :lol:

NFLPA will be changing those salaries eventually

Back
Top Bottom