Well, here's what I'd do if I were Miami... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Well, here's what I'd do if I were Miami...

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
1st (13) - Vernon Hargreaves / CB / Florida

You're going to find out quickly if the new regime in Miami has any idea what they're doing or not. It's Hargreaves here if he's available, or you can go ahead and toss this collection of executives aside with the rest of the incompetence. I don't think getting rid of Hickey was a good idea to begin with. His drafts were solid, particularly in the type of football players he selected.

2nd (42) - Jason Spriggs / OT / Indiana

Long term solution for Miami at left tackle, while also providing insurance when Albert gets hurt again. You're lucky to get this player in the 2nd round.

3rd (73) - Alex Collins / RB / Arkansas

Miami needs a RB to pair with Ajayi. I've always had trouble deciding who was the second best back in this draft behind Elliott. It was always between Derrick Henry and Alex Collins for me. The talking heads are underrating how well Collins translates to the next level in my estimation. He's a Miami kid who the Dolphins will bring back home if they're smart.

4th (107) - Deion Jones / LB / LSU

I'd take him at #73 if Collins hadn't fell right to me. Jones is the kind of physical, athletic linebacker that Miami is going to have to start drafting if they ever expect to improve there. Which they absolutely have to do.

5th (147) - Justin Simmons / S / Boston College

Occasionally I'll dabble around with an Underrated thread...this kid was always on mine. Undoubtedly one of the most versatile and underrated DB in this class. I've watched him play corner and safety for one of the top 3 or 4 defenses in the entire country at BC...and play both well. He'll play FS for Miami. Simmons is the type of 'post' FS that every secondary needs in order to reach upper tier as a unit.

6th (186) - Jason Fanaika / DE / Utah

I have a hard time believing this kid will still be on the board here, but Miami can get a steal here if they've done their homework. Plays with tremendous pad level and leverage. Sets the edge, disengages, understands angles, and plays the run as well as any DE in college football last year. He forces the action, which doesn't show up on the stat sheet all the time. He's a player I talked about several times during the season as a guy who just kept standing out to me every week. The type of kid I want playing strongside end for my defense.

7th (227) - Landon Turner / OG / North Carolina

Miami needs guards worth actually issuing a locker to. They get one much better than that here in the 7th round. The antithesis of Dallas Thomas, for example. Turner is the one knocking the guy lined up across from him on his butt...time and time and time again. Pass protection needs a little bit of work, that's why he may still be available for the taking here. A mauler.

7th (231) - Marquis Williams / QB / North Carolina

Outstanding quarterback with the athleticism to play WR. Worth a shot at quarterback first. Dynamic dual threat with a strong arm, and the athletic skills to execute the zone read proficiently. Makes quality decisions with the football, although he seemed to waver on this a couple of times in the season opener vs. South Carolina....particularly in the red zone where he threw 2 INT's directly to Skai Moore standing in the endzone. Still has plenty of upside to develop as a passer in the NFL. A winner and a leader. Williams is the reason the Tarheel's offense was top 18 in the country in total offense, and 9th in scoring offense, and led them to 11 wins. His defense gave up 45 and 49 points to Baylor and Clemson, and still almost beat both of 'em.

Sign me up. My entire mindset will change about our current FO if can we manage this draft.

You're going to find out quickly if the new regime in Miami has any idea what they're doing or not. It's Hargreaves here if he's available, or you can go ahead and toss this collection of executives aside with the rest of the incompetence. I don't think getting rid of Hickey was a good idea to begin with. His drafts were solid, particularly in the type of football players he selected.

. . .

5th (147) - Justin Simmons / S / Boston College

Occasionally I'll dabble around with an Underrated thread...this kid was always on mine. Undoubtedly one of the most versatile and underrated DB in this class. I've watched him play corner and safety for one of the top 3 or 4 defenses in the entire country at BC...and play both well. He'll play FS for Miami. Simmons is the type of 'post' FS that every secondary needs in order to reach upper tier as a unit.

Two of my favorite players in this draft for our secondary.

spriggs needs to develop a power step to flatten the inside rush...that's probably his biggest flaw on tape...opens the door to the inside too much...terrific athlete I'd be very happy with him as the 3rd tackle in 2016 and insurance for albert...as the 3rd tackle in extra ot alignments if he just takes away the inside the athlete can handle the wide speed rush...damn good feet damn good lateral athlete...I like the value

I doubt Justin simmons makes it that long or deion jones...I think they both are gone by end of day 2

Collins was my favorite running back in this class to watch tape on. I'm really interested to see how he does in the NFL. But I'm not convinced he translate well at the next level. I rather not be the team that hands a card in with his name on it.

Also agree with hoops that jones and Simmons won't be there.

Most of those players are guys I concur on the evaluation.

Justin Simmons stood out for me at Shrine practice, just as he stands out on BC tape. I could see myself keying on Kevin Byard more than Simmons, but I like Simmons a lot and I reported on him a lot heading into and during Shrine practices.

I really only have about 8 or 9 tailbacks I would mess with in the draft and the rest I would just assume wait until you have access to the swarm of undrafted free agents. I don't know that a bunch of these guys differentiate themselves from players that will be available for free. I need a guy with a special trait or two, or three. Alex Collins fits. He has special traits particularly in his vision, decisiveness, use of blockers. Been following the kid since high school when for a brief time it looked as if South Florida might get him. He stood out on high school tape big time.

I think people overthink Hargreaves. They overthink a lot of these players. It's a danger we run into. Vernon has been one of the best in all of college football at his position from the first time he set foot on a Florida football field to the last time he set foot on a Florida football field. Amari Cooper, who is a fantastic wide receiver, says Hargreaves is easily the best corner he's ever faced. He moves like he's controlled by a joystick and I don't know that I've ever seen someone react so instantaneously to what he's seeing with his eyes. His size is not a problem. He's half an inch shorter than Vontae Davis was coming out, a pound heavier, with longer arms.

And Deion Jones has blown me away, as I think I said in the linebackers thread. Only one year as a starter which to me probably explains the clear issues he has with tackling. Of course he's so incredibly fast, explosive, instinctive and especially AGGRESSIVE that one of the issues he has with tackling is just that he gets to plays that he might not have any business getting to. He's got a real linebacker's build unlike Su'a Cravens who I think is just a straight up safety. I'm just floored by how aggressive Jones is and how early and intentional he is in his movements once the ball has been snapped, how aggressive he is in his run fits.

Landon Turner is in the Gabe Jackson/Larry Warford mold. He gets crap because he's sloppy looking and not all that athletic and I suppose that's fair but I think the reason is he's embraced the role UNC has had him in since he got there as a high recruit. Get him into the NFL and have him shape up in your program, you'll end up with a player worth being on the roster.

You guys are going to have to explain this one to me.

A smallish corner without length and closing speed? He's athletic, aggressive and a good tackler -- but he'll likely struggle against big receivers. I just can't see spending this pick on someone that might end up being a slot/nickel back.

I get that there are some things to be excited about with Hargreaves, but I certainly don't agree with your assessment that they'll prove they don't know what they're doing if they don't take this guy. That's way over the top. There are more than several analysts that have him in the late teens. Point is, this isn't a no-brainer type of player. There's lots of varying opinions on him.

Personally, if Hargreaves and Elliott were both on the board when Miami is on the clock and they took Hargreaves, I'd question them more than you do. Same goes for Myles Jack if the rumors of him falling are true. Jack and Elliott are both better prospects than Hargreaves, IMO.

Good stuff, Slimm. How do you rate Spriggs vs Ifedi and Coleman? I do think 42 is a great spot to grab an OT this year. The 2016 OT's are underrated.

It's imperative for Miami to add athleticism to the LB position. Jones in the 4th would definitely do the trick.

I'm not as high on Collins. I like J. Williams better, but I'd be very happy with this draft. Simmons is one of my favorite prospects, and he's exactly what Miami needs next to Jones.

You guys are going to have to explain this one to me.

A smallish corner without length and closing speed? He's athletic, aggressive and a good tackler -- but he'll likely struggle against big receivers. I just can't see spending this pick on someone that might end up being a slot/nickel back.

I get that there are some things to be excited about with Hargreaves, but I certainly don't agree with your assessment that they'll prove they don't know what they're doing if they don't take this guy. That's way over the top. There are more than several analysts that have him in the late teens. Point is, this isn't a no-brainer type of player. There's lots of varying opinions on him.

Personally, if Hargreaves and Elliott were both on the board when Miami is on the clock and they took Hargreaves, I'd question them more than you do. Same goes for Myles Jack if the rumors of him falling are true. Jack and Elliott are both better prospects than Hargreaves, IMO.

Hargreaves is extremely advanced at that position and he's only 20. He's a rare player in any draft.

He might give up some catches to taller WRs, but you know what? Tall cornerbacks give up catches to taller WRs all the time.

Hargreaves is extremely advanced at that position and he's only 20. He's a rare player in any draft.

He might give up some catches to taller WRs, but you know what? Tall cornerbacks give up catches to taller WRs all the time.

Exactly right. He's 5'10.5" and 207 lbs. Vontae Davis was 5'11.0" and 206 lbs, and Hargreaves' arms are longer than Vontae's were. Was Vontae Davis a small corner that needed to be in the slot?

Exactly right. He's 5'10.5" and 207 lbs. Vontae Davis was 5'11.0" and 206 lbs, and Hargreaves' arms are longer than Vontae's were. Was Vontae Davis a small corner that needed to be in the slot?

Yeah, not sure I understand the size issues. Revis was .5 inches taller. Harris, Pacman, and Grimes are about the same height and Flowers is shorter, yet all seemed to do just fine.

vontaes an odd comparison...for one thing he's physical as heck...vontae is like a stick of granite...when Hargreaves gets in trouble its cause he loses physically at the catch point...he can do everything right technique and awareness wise and still lose physically at the catch point and the ball be completed on him...which leads to how he would handle legit size with ball skills and body positioning like a devantae parker for instance on the boundary...I'm pretty sure the ball would be caught over him given this

that more than anything is I think why teams if they do have reservations get a nickel vibe here...loses physically at the catch point...I'd be more inclined in a off man scheme where he faces the ball as much as possible to overlook that...allows for him to get in better positioning body wise I'd say and with his awareness and ball instincts and feel for things make it harder on a guy

if we gonna compete for the football physically the tape says to me advantage boundary wr

Hargreaves measured bigger than he looks. He's a bit like the tennis player Richard Gasquet that way. Gasquet is a solid 6'1 but looks much shorter because he has narrow shoulders and a huge head. Vontae and Hargreaves might have measured similarly but Vontae is built much more solidly than Hargreaves and is proportioned more normally. No one's ever accused Vontae of carrying much weight above the neck, that's for sure.

keep in mind amari coopers a lot of things...and most of them are damn top notch...but what he's not is physical at the catch point...

the leagues got a lot more physical catch point wrs waiting for Vernon hargreaves

Hargreaves measured bigger than he looks. He's a bit like the tennis player Richard Gasquet that way. Gasquet is a solid 6'1 but looks much shorter because he has narrow shoulders and a huge head. Vontae and Hargreaves might have measured similarly but Vontae is built much more solidly than Hargreaves and is proportioned more normally. No one's ever accused Vontae of carrying much weight above the neck, that's for sure.

:lol:

I like your list of players but I doubt that many of them are available where you drafted them. I see Hargreaves falling to 13 as very lucky, Spriggs will go top-20 in a 1st round OT run, and you admit that some of the later picks will also likely be gone. I would like to see more emphasis on the D-Line; one of the blue chip DT's is gonna fall through the cracks. We could also use a DE (and WR while we're at it) if the opportunities are present. We may need to trade down to get enough picks.

RW

Back
Top Bottom