Were a good team that just cant find a way to close in the 2nd half

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by phinatic1399, Nov 27, 2013.

1. phinatic1399

phinatic1399 Diehard Phinatic!

Think about this we were beating the bengals 17-3 even tho we won that. The patriots 17-3 and the panthers 16-3. In all 3 games we allowed all 3 teams to storm back. All 3 of those teams are playoff teams. Were not a bad football team. Were a good football team that can play with anybody riddled with injuries with poor coaching & adjustments. If we just could find a way to close these games out we would be dangerous and i think eventually we will. Maybe not this year maybe next year. But this is not a bad football team.

2. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Goes to show you how much COACHING or rather lack-of has hurt this team.

3. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Donator

A running game is very useful in those situations...

4. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

Unfortunately to make the playoffs you can't be a good team for only one half. It's too bad we all know we can be a 4qtr good team, but I don't think the coaches can find the answers to this.

5. mialuv13

mialuv13 A True Fan

We have the talent of a good team that can't put it together and hold a team down when it counts. We are not a great team because we cannot deliver a kill-shot when it counts. We are also not a great team because we have a propensity to play down to competition. We hang with every team, but we can't put teams away.

I think at this point everyone can practically recite what is going to happen in a game. We can be down and make a comeback and make it to a final drive that will determine the game, or we can be up and let the other team in it again and make it to a final drive that will determine the game.

Other than the Browns and the Saints, the game has come down to a last minute fourth quarter drive. The games that we have been up, we have failed to hit that one crucial play that will seal the deal. We most definitely are a good team, but we need to find a way to deliver the final blow in the 3rd quarter or early 4th quarter to make it to the next level.

6. z926538

z926538 Rookie

The fanboy overoptimism in this thread is sickening. Here's reality: we're not a good team and we haven't been since Dan Marino was our quarterback. Anybody who professes otherwise is drinking the Jeff Ireland/Cam Cameron/Nick Satan/Dave Wannstache/Jimmy Johnson cool-aid. They need to go watch game film of the 1972 squad and see what a good team actually looks like. I doubt if today's team could come within 20 points of beating that team.

7. Canadianfishfan

Canadianfishfan FinHeavean VIP

We're this... we're that... but... but...

Yea exactly. We're what our record says we are. No we aren't very good. Or this thread wouldn't be happening.

But I do appreciate the positivity.

8. Marino1313

Marino1313 Scout Team

Good teams FINISH and win in the second half. So that being said, were not good

9. mega-fin-love

mega-fin-love Just trust me Donator

I hear what you're saying....but at the end of the day good teams make the playoffs. mediocre and bad teams don't.

10. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

It's called bad coaching.

11. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

Failbin stinks.

12. cullenbigcstill

cullenbigcstill FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

We seriously lack consistency, toughness and depth. The coaching staff is uber conservative and lack game awareness and ability to adjust to second half adjustments.

Philbin preaches fast starts, while fast starts are essential to great teams, nothing is more important than closing!

13. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator Donator

seriously?!! we're a good team that just can't find a way to close in the 2nd half??!!

that's the complete definition of mediocre, not "good". jezzuz man are you that used to losing, that your now ok with playing to halftime?!! friggin sad.

14. TX-FinFan

TX-FinFan Seasoned Veteran

The conservative approach to winning games has been with us ever since the Marino era closed.
    From Wannstedt to Saban to Cameron to Sparano this team thinks winning by 3 points is awesome. I can't remember the last time we actually pounded an opponent and won by 30+ points.

15. sharp

sharp Scout Team

We leave too many plays on the field a game. IF we hit wallace one more time a game for a TD its the difference between a top seed in the AFC or where we are now. We are that close. The record thing i hate. You are what you are, i agree with that but its viewed the wrong way. Its close and it should't be, i don't know how we are that good sometimes but we manage to blow a gimme a play a game. Keep working at it. I think the tannehill wallace deep connection is coming consistently.

16. Patrick_Bateman

Patrick_Bateman Rookie

Sorry I had to fix that for you. "Winning" for part of a game means less than nothing when you do it over and over and over, year after year after year. Everybody knows "almost" only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, although this team might be able to close out a win if they were equipped with the latter...

17. Oronde

Oronde Well-Known Member

So picking up big leads in three quarters is talent, but getting humiliated in one is coaching?

Maybe part of the reason why we're blowing leads is because we're not talented enough to avoid being exploited from time to time.

18. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP

At halftime against the Panthers almost all posters on this message board would predict that we'll lose the game eventually because we were kicking field goals instead of scoring TDs, because we can't make proper halftime adjustments, because we just can't run the ball when we need to. That was pretty interesting to say the least. We have no trust in this team whatsoever. That's not a sign of a good team. Heck that's not even a sign of a mediocre team. That's a bad team. And amazingly enough it's been like that for years now, regardless of the coaches or the players. I don't understand this to be honest.

Anyway, we're 5-6 but we're only in the playoff hunt because the AFC is lousy this year. Good teams take care of the Bucs and the Bills and don't have this discussion. We're not good and we will most probably miss the playoffs for the fifth straight year.

19. Pelorus Jack

Pelorus Jack Well-Known Member

Almost good is like...

Almost eating a prime rib,
    Almost winning the lotto,
    Almost getting a raise,
    Almost became a doctor, etc, etc., etc.

The one sure thing this team is not almost in is being frustrating.

20. jlfin

jlfin old pro

This is emblematic of a young team with a relatively inexperienced QB. While Tannehill isn't responsible for most of the losses (Buffalo game, being the exception), he hasn't elevated the team either. An upper echelon QB with the current roster wins the games against Baltimore, Buffalo, NE, Tampa and Carolina IMHO.
    What I would like to see going forward is continued development of RT and an offseason dedicated to upgrading the O-line and replacing Wheeler.
    This defense is solid, but could use a John Offerdahl/Zach Thomas/Kuechly type player in the middle to direct the defense.
    This team is not as bad as some of you think it is, and it would be a huge mistake to "blow it up" in the offseason.

21. Scotty P

Scotty P Well-Known Member Donator

Couldn't agree more. We are a young team with a lot of new players this year. Although I'm not happy about our record, we've been in every game with the exception of the Saints. Which explains the frustration of people in this site. If I'm not mistaken though, almost everyone on this site had us going 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7 before the season started......yet they are now disgusted with this team??? Makes no sense.

I understand, we best some good teams and lost to some lousy ones......and we've been doing that for a decade. But You can't tell me we aren't a better team than last year??

22. Pelorus Jack

The team spent a lot of money in the off-season for player upgrades and should be much better. Yes they are a young team but next year a number of the players on the team right now won't be back so there will always be this element at some level.

A better o-line and run game will definitely help but what this team surely lacks is leadership and the vocal player(s) that inspire younger players and will create a we are winners together attitude.

The frustration of seeing the team just miss out on winning games is certainly present and some are disgusted with the team for sure. But others are just frustrated with the teams inability to close games when they have a lead and to just win the games they should win.

23. kwask4

kwask4 Well-Known Member

It's called no running game

24. ATL_PHIN_FAN

ATL_PHIN_FAN Winner Under Construction

Good points, all. Imagine a healthy Chad Pennington from 2008 as QB for this team in these games? I think we would have won the majority of the ones we've lost this season. What's missing from RT 's game is the experience and leadership that only comes with time. RT's physical abilities and long ball threat (not necessarily LB accuracy) are what's keeping our team competitive. Give him a decent line for both PP and running game, as Pennington had, plus the experience, and we start putting opponents away as we should.

25. J Tes

J Tes next generation

Bad teams find a way to lose. Good teams find a way to win.

26. z926538

z926538 Rookie

There's a name for good teams that just can't find a way to close in the second half. They are called BAD TEAMS.

27. jlfin

jlfin old pro

That's overly simplistic. Bad teams are teams that are devoid of talent and are rarely competitive i.e Jaguars. The Dolphins right now are an average team. There is no need to capitalize your opinion of the team, its pretty obvious how you feel.

28. Pelorus Jack

I agree that it is right now an middle of the pack team that showed some potential but that has been the case for some years now. The good teams easily figure out their competitors weaknesses early on and exploit them and there are just too many weak areas on this team.

Unlike others I do like Tannehill's potential. He just needs to get a good supporting cast and develop an inner fire to hopefully make him elite at some point.

29. enigmatics

enigmatics Go get me a juice box!

All you've described is "mediocrity". I'm not going to sit here and say our coaching staff is the quintessential, because they're obviously not. But scapegoating everything on them is absurd. The players leave plenty of plays out there on the field.

30. cullenbigcstill

cullenbigcstill FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Yes the Jags are a bad team, they have every reason to be as bad as their record. The Dolphins offense is as bad as the jaguars they are statistically comparable and have been for a while. The only reason we are slightly better is because of the wasted defensive talent that we have on this team.

We are a young team no doubt, but at some point when does that youth show out like the Colts who are a young team? Being so young should give us an explosion and athletic ability yet it isn't.

This team would achieve with a better and more aggressive coaching staff. This team reflects its staff completely. While they are disciplined and not turnover prone( i know tannehill has struggled with fumbles but most of his INTs have been off tipped passes and late game hail marys) they are soft, intimidated, lack aggression and game awareness.

This team lacks grit and the play calling lacks schematic design and creativity. We never use different sets of the same play, or runs and passes or flip sides of one play. It's always the same plays as the game before!

There is no innovation. It is easy to defend the Dolphins Offense, just line up in your base defense and stop the run and get after Tannehill, because the Fins will not beat you with any sort of creativity!

31. kcbrown

kcbrown Life is what we make it. Donator

^^ This * 10000.

32. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

Nobody is debating that comparison. This team is playing winning football in the first half in most of the games. The 72 team is a team of the ages.
    For Debbie Downers like you, who just come out of the woodwork like a fattened termite to complain, this team has made some progress. Whether the current staff and some of it's players are holding the team back is the discussion that has merit. Frankly I point to the GM. He is the limiting factor in this team rise. The coaches need to do a better job too. The way we collapse in the 2nd half is indicative of coaching. IMHO.
    Since the team and the coaches are built by the GM, he is the problem.

33. z926538

z926538 Rookie

You have no clue how I feel. After watching the Dolphins hire Joe Philbin and draft Tannehill for the first time in about a decade I had some small reason for hope. This was balanced with the knowledge that Jeff Ireland would find a way to screw things up like he has the entire time he had been here, but at least I had some hope. Now that hope is gone. Philbin has turned out to be a huge disappointment, with little knowledge of how to run an offense and no ability to make adjustments during a game. Ireland wasted at least a gazillion dollars of salary cap to leave us with a defense that can't stop the run when it matters, an average receiving corp, and the worst offensive line in the history of the franchise. I am angry that Steven Ross does not have the ability or inclination to fix this disaster. I despair that the careers of Cameron Wake, Paul Solai, and Ryan Tannehill will be wasted just like the careers of Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor were wasted. And it disgusts me that once again we are faced with a situation where the best result we expect is an 8-8 record and a twenty point trouncing in the first round of the playoffs. What happened to the proud franchise that won two superbowls in the 1970's and was always a threat to go deep into the playoffs in the 1980's and early 1990's? How much more of this maddening mediocrity will we be forced to endure before someone in this front office stumbles into a set of decisions that will make the difference and turn this franchise around?

So, does 15 years of mediocrity equal bad team? You're damn right it does.

34. z926538

z926538 Rookie

The 72 team is the standard of excellence against which all Dolphins franchises should be measured. That was a good team. No team since Marino was here has come close.

I agree with you that Jeff Ireland's tenure as GM is currently responsible for sustaining the mediocrity. Unfortunately, I have seen nothing from Steven Ross to make me believe he sees the problem. And until he understands the problem we are doomed to years and year of continued maddening mediocrity. God save us from this disaster. God save Ryan Tannehill, Cameron Wake and Paul Solai from the wasted careers that Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor were force to endure.

35. CA Dolfan

CA Dolfan Dolphin fan since '72

In our first 3 game wins it seems it was the opposite we were a 2nd half team when we out scored our opponent.